Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Does Bielema's first 4 years compare to other Hog Coaches?

Started by Ben, November 28, 2016, 01:35:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Just as a point of reference, here is how Bielema compares to other Hog Coaches after the first 4 Seasons, not including the bowl game this year.

Holtz: 37-10-1 (78%)
Bezdek: 25-7-1 (77%)
Hatfield: 35-13-1 (72%)
Petrino: 34-17 (67%)
Broyles: 29-14 (67%)
Nutt: 30-18 (62%)
Schmidt: 21-13-3 (61%)
Barnhill: 22-17-3 (56%)
Bielema: 25-25 (50%)
Ford: 22-23-1 (49%)
Thomsen: 14-19-3 (48%)
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RME

Inb4 "The SEC is a whole different animal than the SWC and the SEC when previous coaches were in it."

Yeah, it is. That's why the ability to adapt is essential. Don't hide behind that excuse.

rzrbaxfan

Besides the guy that Baylor will hire soon, has there ever been a coach that replaced a year long interim head coach who was hired because the guy before him got fired in the spring?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 28, 2016, 01:38:20 pm
Inb4 "The SEC is a whole different animal than the SWC and the SEC when previous coaches were in it."

Yeah, it is. That's why the ability to adapt is essential. Don't hide behind that excuse.

Lets not add any context to the numbers. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

That list is weird in that some of them hit the ground running ( Holtz and Nutt both had really good 1st years ) while others had miserable 1st years and a couple middle of the road.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

WOW I knew we were in bad shape when Coach came here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

If his 5th and 6th season is like the 7th season for Holtz or like Nutt's 7th and 8th, he will at the least be on his way out. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The OTR

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 01:50:39 pm
If his 5th and 6th season is like the 7th season for Holtz or like Nutt's 7th and 8th, he will at the least be on his way out. 

people forget Holtz was 17-14-1 in his last 3 seasons. He did most of his damage with what JFB left him, one good recruiting class and a qb transfer.

What do Hatfield and BP have in common? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CrookedSquealliry

I think Frank did the right thing by being nosy.  Bet Barry has the playbook before the assistants do at Wisko.
Just sayin

Atlhogfan1

Butch Davis 31-15 in first 4 seasons at Miami
Larry Coker 44-6 in his first 4 at Miami

What should I conclude? 

The OTR

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 01:57:49 pm
Butch Davis 31-15 in first 4 seasons at Miami
Larry Coker 44-6 in his first 4 at Miami

What should I conclude?

:D

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Ben on November 28, 2016, 01:35:58 pm
Just as a point of reference, here is how Bielema compares to other Hog Coaches after the first 4 Seasons, not including the bowl game this year.

Holtz: 37-10-1 (78%) SWC
Bezdek: 25-7-1 (77%) SWC ??
Hatfield: 35-13-1 (72%) SWC
Petrino: 34-17 (67%) SEC
Broyles: 29-14 (67%) SWC
Nutt: 30-18 (62%) SEC
Schmidt: 21-13-3 (61%) SWC
Barnhill: 22-17-3 (56%) SWC
Bielema: 25-25 (50%) SEC
Ford: 22-23-1 (49%) SEC
Thomsen: 14-19-3 (48%) SWC

enhanced a bit.. but you should obviously conclude that the SEC is more competitive conference than the SWC.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogcard1964

Not fair, different thingies during different times of them there thingies makes Bret's numbers not appear as good as the thingies of the coaches that only appear to better.  Also, the thingies "inherited" by Bret were worse thingies than say Holtz' or Petrino's thingies.

;)

SemperFi

Being in the SEC is relevant to this discussion. Since 1998 the SEC has won the National Championship 10 times out of 18 years and may very well extend that to 11 times out of 19 years.

National Champion

2015   Alabama
2014   Ohio State
2013   Florida State
2012   Alabama
2011   Alabama
2010   Auburn
2009   Alabama
2008   Florida
2007   Louisiana State
2006   Florida
2005   Texas
2004   Southern California
2003   Louisiana State
2002   Ohio State
2001   Miami
2000   Oklahoma
1999   Florida State
1998   Tennessee

You cannot ignore that we are competing in the toughest conference in all of college football. I do not believe that in the history of college football has it ever had a conference like what we've seen in the SEC over the last dozen years. Level of competition must be factored into the equation and simply cannot be dismissed.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Lake City Hog

Dlux, if anyone on that list should get any slack from the SWC/SEC thing it should be Danny Ford and ONLY Ford. He was the guy that got our recruiting headed in an SEC direction. We've been in the SEC for 25 years so that excuse is OVER!

hawginbigd1

The context here in the last 50 years, only 2 of these coaches took over a program in a dumpster fire, Ford and Bielema. Wonder why they have the lowest totals, just a shocker!

Ben

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 28, 2016, 02:09:17 pm
enhanced a bit.. but you should obviously conclude that the SEC is more competitive conference than the SWC.........
It is, but petrino still made it work. Back to back 10 win seasons and honestly should have been back to back BCS bowl appearances. Nutt had his years he could have taken it all the way if he wasn't Nutt. We have been in the SEC for 25 years now. It's time to stop hiding behind that excuse. It just makes us look like a mediocre program.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ben on November 28, 2016, 02:42:08 pm
It is, but petrino still made it work. Back to back 10 win seasons and honestly should have been back to back BCS bowl appearances. Nutt had his years he could have taken it all the way if he wasn't Nutt. We have been in the SEC for 25 years now. It's time to stop hiding behind that excuse. It just makes us look like a mediocre program.

We are by SEC standards. 

RME

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 02:44:44 pm
We are by SEC standards.

We are, but like Ben said, it is time to stop hiding behind that excuse.  All it is is a way to justify 7-8 win seasons.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 28, 2016, 02:46:51 pm
We are, but like Ben said, it is time to stop hiding behind that excuse.  All it is is a way to justify 7-8 win seasons.

If we are, then it is not an excuse, it is being what we are.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 28, 2016, 02:46:51 pm

What excuse? 

Saying we are, recognizing our position in the SEC isn't saying we shouldn't win more than 8-9 games on occasion and compete for an SECW Ch.  It isn't excusing the Mizzou loss or 56-3.  Those are unacceptable.  Sometimes 7-8 wins are justifiable.  This current 7 win season not so much as it has turned out. 

RazorWest

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 28, 2016, 02:25:41 pm
The context here in the last 50 years, only 2 of these coaches took over a program in a dumpster fire, Ford and Bielema. Wonder why they have the lowest totals, just a shocker!

Petrino took over a dumpster fire.  There is no doubt.  Nutt left him very little.  he did inherit a pretty sweet instate class and was able to turn Joe Adams from USC.  Getting Mallet to transfer in was a big help too.  That first year was a dumpster fire though.

RazorWest

Quote from: SemperFi on November 28, 2016, 02:20:47 pm
Being in the SEC is relevant to this discussion. Since 1998 the SEC has won the National Championship 10 times out of 18 years and may very well extend that to 11 times out of 19 years.

National Champion

2015   Alabama
2014   Ohio State
2013   Florida State
2012   Alabama
2011   Alabama
2010   Auburn
2009   Alabama
2008   Florida
2007   Louisiana State
2006   Florida
2005   Texas
2004   Southern California
2003   Louisiana State
2002   Ohio State
2001   Miami
2000   Oklahoma
1999   Florida State
1998   Tennessee

You cannot ignore that we are competing in the toughest conference in all of college football. I do not believe that in the history of college football has it ever had a conference like what we've seen in the SEC over the last dozen years. Level of competition must be factored into the equation and simply cannot be dismissed.

You think the SEC is the toughest conference in college football this year or last year?  Alabama is freaky good.  Everyone else is meh.  I would say Big 10 and Pac 12 are arguably better this year than the SEC.  SEC used to have the best coaches and the best teams.  Now they have the best coach and the best team.  No other national championship coaches in the league that I see

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorWest on November 28, 2016, 02:55:55 pm
Petrino took over a dumpster fire.  There is no doubt.  Nutt left him very little.  he did inherit a pretty sweet instate class and was able to turn Joe Adams from USC.  Getting Mallet to transfer in was a big help too.  That first year was a dumpster fire though.

Let's not underestimate what a great instate class plus Mallett transfer that was perfectly tailored to Petrino's needs did for his success here.

Gonzo

At least as important as the overall record, moreso IMO, is the trend in the numbers. Holtz and Nutt were both trending down from year 1 to year 4, Hatfield trended up in year 2 then was pretty level for the remainder of his watch, Petrino was trending up from year 1 to year 4, and BB would have still been trending up in year 4 if they don't lay an egg in the 2nd half Friday. I will take the coach on the rise over the coach on the decline almost every time.   

I think next season will give us a good indication whether this year was a bump in a rising road or the plateau for BB at Arkansas. As a Hog fan I'm certainly hoping the former.

Go Hogs!

hawginbigd1

Yeah he took over a team that beat the #1 team in the country at their place, clearly there was no talent on that team, SMH.

hogcard1964

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2016, 03:00:23 pm
Let's not underestimate what a great instate class plus Mallett transfer that was perfectly tailored to Petrino's needs did for his success here.

I'll see your removal of Mallett for Petrino and raise you a removal of Collins for Bert.   ;)

LRrazorback

True, he took over a pure run team to become a passing team. I mean Casey Dick passed for over 3000 yds. Very few draft picks his first three years here. Not to mention, Jariuos Wright was headed to Texas Tech, and he offered Tyler Wilson who wasn't offered by the previous staff.

LRrazorback

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 28, 2016, 03:04:07 pm
Yeah he took over a team that beat the #1 team in the country at their place, clearly there was no talent on that team, SMH.

Look how many draft picks he had from nutts staff his first three years here, 4.  That's very low on talent

Wildhog

Uh, the 2008 team was not the 2007 team.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorWest

Do you think that is the team that Petrino took over?  Do you know who left from that team? 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Gonzo on November 28, 2016, 03:02:30 pm
At least as important as the overall record, moreso IMO, is the trend in the numbers. Holtz and Nutt were both trending down from year 1 to year 4, Hatfield trended up in year 2 then was pretty level for the remainder of his watch, Petrino was trending up from year 1 to year 4, and BB would have still been trending up in year 4 if they don't lay an egg in the 2nd half Friday. I will take the coach on the rise over the coach on the decline almost every time.   

I think next season will give us a good indication whether this year was a bump in a rising road or the plateau for BB at Arkansas. As a Hog fan I'm certainly hoping the former.

Go Hogs!
Schedule wise I think 8 or possibly 9 is the ceiling next year, at Bama, at LSU, at USCe, and A&M neutral site. 2018 is the make or break year IMO, barring some injury mishaps, that should be a run at an SEC championship year.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

King Kong

I'm more interested in which year each of those coaches tenure played 25th game vs ranked teams.

For Houston Nutt it was year 7. CBB year 4

King Kong

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Just realized both Hatfield and BP were gone after back to back 10+ win seasons.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RazorWest on November 28, 2016, 03:08:52 pm
Do you think that is the team that Petrino took over?  Do you know who left from that team?
Just because our best backfield ever left for the NFL does not make a dumpster fire!

Ben

So McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk etc all played in Petrino's first year in 08?

Ben

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 03:24:18 pm
Just realized both Hatfield and BP were gone after back to back 10+ win seasons.
Makes you wonder were there other factors to get them gone. I think Frank had a lot to do with both. Directly and Indirectly. Same with Holtz who eventually won a title at ND

Gonzo

Do the names McFadden, Jones, Hillis, and Monk ring a bell?  The Hogs lost their top 3 rushers (90% of the rushing yards) and 5 of their top 7 receivers (60% of the rec yards) from 2007 to 2008. Not to mention, in the wonderful (truly) upset they pulled in Baton Rouge, they accounted for all but 1 rushing attempt and all but 3 catches.

Yep, that returning squad for 2008 was loaded. Nutt was actually fortunate to not have to endure that, imagine his offense with Casey Dick at QB and Michael Smith as the bellcow, may have ended his head coaching sooner than dying at Ole Miss.

Go Hogs!

Wildhog

Quote from: Ben on November 28, 2016, 03:26:52 pm
So McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk etc all played in Petrino's first year in 08?

Nate Garner, Marcus Harrison, Materrall Richardson, Robert Felton, Weston Dacus...
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 28, 2016, 03:26:14 pm
Just because our best backfield ever left for the NFL does not make a dumpster fire!

BP was not left with much, especially for his preferred style of play. HE was left with some decent players, especially 2 or 3 defenders that were rs fr in 2008. He also signed a class in 2008, probably his best class, that was heavy on Ar kids ( 16 iirc ) that were really suited to his offensive style.

BB was left with NOTHING. The 2010 and 2011 classes were almost non-existent due to injury and departures, and the 2012 class, coming off back to back 10+ win seasons was terrible on paper, and even worse on the field. The only real talent BB was left with were some good DL players. Had to start a rs Soph with almost no experience at QB, 2 or 3 FR on the OL, a Fr at LB, and FR played alot at CB and safety. Knowing that year was going to be terrible regardless, it was too bad they could not red shirt the entire 2013 class. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Ben on November 28, 2016, 03:28:23 pm
Makes you wonder were there other factors to get them gone. I think Frank had a lot to do with both. Directly and Indirectly. Same with Holtz who eventually won a title at ND

Holtz got himself fired because he realized he was never going to get the players here to win a title. Hatfield, tough to say if he really wanted to leave, but the cupboard was pretty bare when he did.

Nashville Fan

There is SEC and then we there is Saban at AL SEC. Totally different conference. Power switched from east to west.
Pittman or Bust!

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: Gonzo on November 28, 2016, 03:02:30 pm

Go Hogs!

By all accounts looking at the production of this years team and factoring the players we lose we are not looking at an upward trend for next season. Everyone should brace themselves.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Gonzo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 28, 2016, 03:11:35 pm
Schedule wise I think 8 or possibly 9 is the ceiling next year, at Bama, at LSU, at USCe, and A&M neutral site. 2018 is the make or break year IMO, barring some injury mishaps, that should be a run at an SEC championship year.

Well, 8 or 9 wins would be trending up again would it not? Hence, the bump in the road possibility.

Go Hogs!