Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

easiest FBS non conference schedules- Hogs #8

Started by Hogwild, May 02, 2017, 12:47:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 03:29:09 pm
Unfortunately, rankings are based on perception to begin every season for as long as I have been alive.  Perception will be used for pre-season rankings.  The BCS will rank teams and choose 4 finalist based on what?  PERCEPTION and a computer algorithm weighted by what?  PERCEPTION!  The SEC earned that PERCEPTION by doing what?  WINNING NCs, EVERY year by multiple teams in a row and WINNING OOC games and bowl games.  When was the last time a SEC team other than Bama won a NC?  Did the SEC represent well in OOC games and bowl games last season?  NO!  The PERCEPTION, because there is NO other measurement that can be used, is that the SEC has come back down to earth.  PERCEPTION!  Comparing the SEC now to what it used to be is like sitting on ones arsp expecting to take over Daddy's successful business without putting forth any effort.  You will be PERCIEVED as a good businessman due to Daddy's success until you screw up what HE built in the PAST.  NO other team in the SEC has been close to taking over Bama's business and the Gauntlet known as the SECW represented itself VERY poorly last season!  Now what has happened at ANY of those programs that would make a reasonable person think they are any better than the top 3 or 4 teams in ANY conference in America?  They didn't present evidence for anyone to PERCIEVE that as it is noted by the ranking of UAs post season SOS compared to its pre-season SOS last season and it's recognizable in this seasons pre-Season SOS due to what?  PERCEPTION due to last seasons performance by the PERCIEVED Guantlet!

2, 5, 6, 27, 33, 36, 38. Previously provided data and the PERCEPTION of the SEC West's strength entering the 2017 season by ESPN.

Unmatched by any other.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 04, 2017, 04:08:35 pm
DUH!  PERCEPTION! And all of that with:

Returning starters:

Bama-  well Bama is Bama, doesn't matter!
Ole Miss- 5-off and 6 on D for a 4-8 team
MSST-     7- off and 6 on D for a 5-7 team
Auburn-   8- off and 7 on D for a 8-4 team
A&M.       5- off and 7 on D for a 8-4 team
LSU.        6-off and 5 on D for a 8-4 team

Most draft picks of any conference!  so does ESPN PERCIEVE these teams to just RELOAD other than Bama?  PERCEPTION, not FACTS.  We will see though.  I see a HUGE window for the Hogs to make some noise this season ESPECIALLY with the PERCIEVED  #1 rated QB in the conference.  I PERCIEVE a 9-3 record and a top 25 ranking.  How will the BCS PERCIEVE a 9-3 this season?  We will see!

You imply perception has to be there to garner all important votes in polls. And when I show that it is you call it fallacy.

You ain't right.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 04, 2017, 04:21:41 pm
You imply perception has to be there to garner all important votes in polls. And when I show that it is you call it fallacy.

You ain't right.

Once he lost the argument, he ran from the thread.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on May 04, 2017, 12:01:22 pm
He tried this using the B12 as his example, but I shut it down and he never responded.

See how much tougher you've gotten since first sparring with me?

LRRandy

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 07, 2017, 11:29:27 am
My point was then and is now, "the SEC is not as good as it once was."  There was a time when "best conference" wasn't debatable, it can now.  Oklahoma and Ok State can beat every team in the SEC other than Bama. Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigan would have beaten every team in the SEC other than Bama.  Clemson DID beat Bama and Auburn and Fl State could have beaten every team in the SEC other than Bama.  There is NO Guantlet in the SECW!  It Bama, marginal teams, and bad teams just like every other conference.
last time Ohio State played Bama Ohio State won. So there's that.

This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 07, 2017, 01:17:42 pm
Okay, I was ready for a snarky reply here (as it is so surely needed  ;D) ....

35-6 (and yes, I am old enough to remember that game....)

...at any rate, I was looking for a history page to verify my recollection of the series standings between the two teams and I ran into this:
http://www.winsipedia.com/ohio-state/vs/alabama

A lot of websites will list data about games within a series between two teams but what I found interesting about Winsipedia is the additional comparative stats on the two teams.  See below for a comparison of Arkansas and Texas A&M.
http://www.winsipedia.com/arkansas/vs/texas-am

There is a LOT of data presented in a nice visual (yet compact) manner.
the snark that you so readily hurl my way is one of the fun things about this board. Nice link. I hadn't run across that site before.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 07, 2017, 02:03:15 pm
Indeed - and I am sure it will be returned! 

By the way, if it makes you feel better, you might find this one interesting.....
haha. Yep. Not to go into too much detail on an sec board but a lot of the victories that have  Xichigan #1 all time among all colleges  happened before 1920 when they counted wins against club teams and high schools and not just colleges. Also,  a person would have to be 95 years old to have been alive long enough for Xichigan to have a winning record against tOSU in their lifetime.
This is fun, isn't it.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: jjdlc on May 02, 2017, 01:14:57 pm
Dang, I think thats the first time in at least the past 10 years we haven't been top 10 in overall schedule difficulty

Let's see what it is when the upcoming season has ended.

And, by the way, figuring the SOS based on LAST year's W/L record for opponents (as the NCAA does) is a very poor yardstick.  I prefer to see what Sagarin of even RPI SOS is.  They are much better indicators.

These jackwagons need to remove our name from ANY list of "easy schedule" discussions.  See my post from 5 years ago for an outstanding explanation that still holds up:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=481073.msg7233099#msg7233099

For the record, our Sagarin end-of-season SOS for the years since that article are as follows: 20, 9, 12, 4, 6, 11.  As a point of comparison, in that time period, Alabama's SOS - and they are always playing highly ranked out of conference opponents to kick off the season, not to mention their CFP opponents - have been #1 twice, and #2 another time.  Still, within that six year period (2011-2016), our average SOS is more difficult than theirs!

So, these moron National CFB writers can shine on all they want about our non-conference schedule in the random years that it is a little weaker than we would like.  The reality is that we almost always play a Bowl caliber Big 5 team (Texas, USC, A&M before they were in the SEC, Tech, Boise State) and would be again if Michigan hadn't pussed out.  But, the bigger point is that no one in the country plays an entire schedule more difficult than Arkansas does, year in and year out.  And the numbers match that perception - for anyone who really wants to know, and doesn't have a butt-hurt-by-SEC-dominance agenda.

LRRandy

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 08, 2017, 01:20:29 pm
Let's see what it is when the upcoming season has ended.

And, by the way, figuring the SOS based on LAST year's W/L record for opponents (as the NCAA does) is a very poor yardstick.  I prefer to see what Sagarin of even RPI SOS is.  They are much better indicators.

These jackwagons need to remove our name from ANY list of "easy schedule" discussions.  See my post from 5 years ago for an outstanding explanation that still holds up:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=481073.msg7233099#msg7233099

For the record, our Sagarin end-of-season SOS for the years since that article are as follows: 20, 9, 12, 4, 6, 11.  As a point of comparison, in that time period, Alabama's SOS - and they are always playing highly ranked out of conference opponents to kick off the season, not to mention their CFP opponents - have been #1 twice, and #2 another time.  Still, within that six year period (2011-2016), our average SOS is more difficult than theirs!

So, these moron National CFB writers can shine on all they want about our non-conference schedule in the random years that it is a little weaker than we would like.  The reality is that we almost always play a Bowl caliber Big 5 team (Texas, USC, A&M before they were in the SEC, Tech, Boise State) and would be again if Michigan hadn't pussed out.  But, the bigger point is that no one in the country plays an entire schedule more difficult than Arkansas does, year in and year out.  And the numbers match that perception - for anyone who really wants to know, and doesn't have a butt-hurt-by-SEC-dominance agenda.
every team in the secw gets a bump in their strength of schedule because of Bama being on it. Bama receives no such bump, it can't schedule itself.
This is fun, isn't it.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LRRandy on May 08, 2017, 03:04:01 pm
every team in the secw gets a bump in their strength of schedule because of Bama being on it. Bama receives no such bump, it can't schedule itself.

I understand that.  But (a) that's 1 13th (in most cases) of the SOS; and (b) though Bama is THE biggest of bullies on the block, the difference between having Bama on your schedule and, say, LSU or Auburn or Arkansas or Ole Miss or Georgia (in any given season) is NOT the same as the differential between them and most other Power 5 teams.

Said another way, even removing them from our schedule, we'd still have a Top 5 SOS on average.

So, WHO CARES about the 2 or 3 weakest teams we play, when our overall SOS is #1 (again, on average, across many seasons)?  Why not focus on the hard teams we ARE playing that other teams aren't.  Shouldn't/doesn't matter whether they are conference games or not.

ChicoHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 10, 2017, 04:01:08 pm
I understand that.  But (a) that's 1 13th (in most cases) of the SOS; and (b) though Bama is THE biggest of bullies on the block, the difference between having Bama on your schedule and, say, LSU or Auburn or Arkansas or Ole Miss or Georgia (in any given season) is NOT the same as the differential between them and most other Power 5 teams.

Said another way, even removing them from our schedule, we'd still have a Top 5 SOS on average.

So, WHO CARES about the 2 or 3 weakest teams we play, when our overall SOS is #1 (again, on average, across many seasons)?  Why not focus on the hard teams we ARE playing that other teams aren't.  Shouldn't/doesn't matter whether they are conference games or not.
As a diehard Hog fan and someone who goes to a few games I care.  I don't want to pay to see us play FCS schools and/or very weak FBS teams.  It gives us a break so to speak from the grind of the conference schedule but IMO those games should be played early in the season if at all.  It is a joke that Bama, Auburn, USC East,  UGA, UF etc., play a FCS team or very weak opponent in late November.  We are the only conference that does that I believe.  Maybe I'm wrong and the ACC does also but I know the Pac 12, Big ten and Big 12 do not.  The SEC is the toughest conference but i still don't think that gives us a pass to play 3 or 4 patsies in the OOC schedule.  Just my opinion. 

DeltaBoy

We lost to Toledo and Rutgers and Texas Tech there are NO cupcakes on this schedule.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 14, 2017, 07:27:16 am
Which only suggests sugar intolerance.....to cupcakes.   

Florida A&M
TCU (the one explainable opponent here...)
New Mexico Tech State / School of Mines
Coastal Carolina A&I

Had Michigan not bought out their series with Arkansas, AND one of the other three games (not TCU) were dropped it would not be as bad but three of those games are nothing more than efforts to suck revenue from fans without giving anything in return. 

The Michigan series wasn't scheduled to start until the 2018 season so that wouldn't have affected this season's schedule.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!