Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those who say Arkansas has an "easy" schedule this year . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 04, 2012, 12:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Here's some ammunition to use against your non-Hog fan friends/acquaintances who try to discount any success we may have this upcoming year by claiming that we have an "easy schedule".

Phil Steele has released the NCAA's list of toughest schedules for 2012, and we come in at #10.  Admittedly, the way they calculate "toughest schedule" is not the best - in my opinion or in Steele's.  But it is one legit way, and the one that the NCAA uses.

Any way you slice it, playing 8 teams that played in a Bowl last year is not an "easy schedule".

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/Mar12/DBMar30.html

BartIV

I don't think people said it was easy, it is just set up good for us to win. Home games and talent we have.

incHOGnito

HiggiePiggy

Being in the west of the SEC and having the top 2 teams in the SEC at home is what we call an easy schedule.  That doesn't mean that we have an easy schedule compared to the rest of the NCAA.   Would be nice to have Georgia's schedule.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hoggish1

Bama and LSU at home is easier than last year.  But it will always be a top 10 hard schedule.

Redhogs

Quote from: BartIV on May 04, 2012, 12:12:42 pm
I don't think people said it was easy, it is just set up good for us to win. Home games and talent we have.
You might want to tone down the optimism....heard slappy lately?  Not good.....hope the fool coaches better than he speaks this coming year...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

99toLife

It appears on paper easier than last year, that doesn't mean it easy..

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 04, 2012, 12:06:27 pm
Here's some ammunition to use against your non-Hog fan friends/acquaintances who try to discount any success we may have this upcoming year by claiming that we have an "easy schedule".

Phil Steele has released the NCAA's list of toughest schedules for 2012, and we come in at #10.  Admittedly, the way they calculate "toughest schedule" is not the best - in my opinion or in Steele's.  But it is one legit way, and the one that the NCAA uses.

Any way you slice it, playing 8 teams that played in a Bowl last year is not an "easy schedule".

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/Mar12/DBMar30.html
[/quote I suppose my friends and acquaintances who fans of other schools are just the type who think differently. None of them have giving me any grief over our schedule. They realize that the past five years or so we've consistently had one of the more challenging schedules out there. Then again, I consider the level of knowledge that these folks have to be above those of the average fan.

hawgwash

"Favorable" is a better term than easy.  Playing both of the top two teams in college football at home is more favorable than playing both of them on the road.

BallHog1

Bart, quit saying our schedule is easy or we're gonna sick Coolhog55 on you.

panhandlepig

I'll take any 'break" we can get this year..call it easier or favorable or whatever.  Go Hogs

BartIV

Quote from: BallHog1 on May 04, 2012, 12:39:18 pm
Bart, quit saying our schedule is easy or we're gonna sick Coolhog55 on you.
ok, I figure were have a losing season this year. thanks Jeff Long.
In Jeff Long We Trust.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: hawgwash on May 04, 2012, 12:37:41 pm
"Favorable" is a better term than easy.  Playing both of the top two teams in college football at home is more favorable than playing both of them on the road.
Yea and I'll bet you wouldn't hear a peep out of most of those idiots concerning the odd # years we have to play both on the road (such as last-uggh!!).

WizardofhOgZ

I understand what you are saying.

However, you will (I already have) see and hear countless summaries of Arkansas that include the phrase ". . . and they have a favorable schedule with both Alabama and LSU coming to Fayetteville this season."  What the typical non-Arkansas fan gets from that is "Arkansas has a kinda easy schedule this year".  YOU and I know that's not exactly what was said - but Joe Scmo from Idaho has no idea what kind of schedule we have faced in recent years, and "favorable schedule" = "easy" to someone uninformed.  It's about perception.

As some have pointed out, any schedule with LSU and Alabama on it is NOT easy regardless of where you play them. On the other hand, it is true that relative to Arkansas' schedule in recent years, it's not as bad as others we have faced.

Just a reminder to those who missed this note or have forgotten; over the last decade, Arkansas's aggregate schedule (i.e., over that entire time), is THE most difficult in the entire country (see link below)! This point is entirely under discussed by the national media, IMO. But then again, we're not one of the media darlings like Texas, Alabama, USC, etc.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2011/7/14/2274767/strength-of-schedule-college-football

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BallHog1

Quote from: BartIV on May 04, 2012, 12:44:20 pm
ok, I figure were have a losing season this year. thanks Jeff Long.
In Jeff Long We Trust.
Yep, this is gonna be EASY

Richard_white

Unless your Alabama, its never easy to play in the SEC. 

moses_007

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 04, 2012, 12:23:24 pm
Bama and LSU at home is easier than last year.  But it will always be a top 10 hard schedule.

Maybe so, but just because we meet both those teams at home doesn't mean that we can defeat either of them.  Plus, we have A&M, Auburn and South Carolina on the road.

OptimusHog

Quote from: moses_007 on May 05, 2012, 12:16:56 am
Plus, we have A&M, Auburn and South Carolina on the road.

I'd be willing to watch us play those three teams on the Moon and I wouldn't be concerned.