Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the boneheads calling for Pel's head.... meet the 2009 hogs!

Started by mathhog, January 19, 2008, 09:32:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND MEET THE 2008-2009 HOGS:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=165538.0

Shooters & Guards
Clarke - made 74 straight 3's and 137 straight FTs:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=200846.msg3110302#msg3110302
Fortson
Britt
Beverley
Welsh
Cox
Rakestraw
Patsatsia

Forwards & Bigs
Washington
Sanchez
Clark
Moore
Payne

photo credit: scout.com

fanofthehog

Keep in mind that I have not seen him play, but I'm scared that Rotnei will be another Cannon Whitby.

silverhawg

when we are able to replace an in-effective hill with a real aggressive center..look out

big chamma

mathhog

Quote from: silverhawg on January 19, 2008, 09:37:49 pm
when we are able to replace an in-effective hill with a real aggressive center..look out

sanchez is pretty dang aggressive from what i hear

he's 6'9'' but as bigs go i hear he plays hungry.

bassman1994

Hoggy1

Quote from: mathhog on January 19, 2008, 09:38:36 pm
sanchez is pretty dang aggressive from what i hear

he's 6'9'' but as bigs go i hear he plays hungry.

true, i know HS and SEC aren't in comparison, but Sanchez was good for a double double every game
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

TNPIG

Wow, it's been "next year" for this program for the last six years.

3kgthog

I just want us to have a low post player that will put a shoulder into someone and take it up strong. I'm sick of seeing things like Charles Thomas throwing up his patented shot from the hip.

hogsailor

Quote from: TNPIG on January 19, 2008, 09:46:47 pm

Ummm, we have a new coach who will have HIS players next year.

That's the difference.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

hview

I wasn't as optimistic as some that these guys would dominate the SEC or win the west. What is happening doesn't surprise me. I'm excitiing about this upcoming recruiting class and if we can  support the coach and be patient, I think the 2009 class may be just as good. Once he gets his style of players in place we'll be ok. 

Boarcephus

Why aren't we seeing anything out of Rakestraw or Patsatsia this year?  It's not like we're kicking ass at the shooting guard position.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

mathhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 19, 2008, 10:18:54 pm
Why aren't we seeing anything out of Rakestraw or Patsatsia this year?  It's not like we're kicking ass at the shooting guard position.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=200862.0

chiefsfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 19, 2008, 10:18:54 pm

Rakestraw isnt ready at all.  He's too slow.   Patsa just isnt very good defensively
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mathhog

Quote from: hview on January 19, 2008, 10:09:34 pm
I wasn't as optimistic as some that these guys would dominate the SEC or win the west. What is happening doesn't surprise me. I'm excitiing about this upcoming recruiting class and if we can  support the coach and be patient, I think the 2009 class may be just as good. Once he gets his style of players in place we'll be ok. 

Agreed!

mathhog

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 19, 2008, 10:40:27 pm
Rakestraw isnt ready at all.  He's too slow.   Patsa just isnt very good defensively

agreed.  but rake CAN shoot...

Razorod

Make that the last twelve years.

I am patient with Pelphrey.

I am impatient with Razorback bb. This has gone on so long I can't remember the last time we were any good. 95-96 maybe.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

gcraise1

I knew this year was going to be a struggle. I am by no way even close to calling for coach P's head. These players have yet to show consistancy since they have been here. Coach P IMO is getting what he can out of here. Give Coach P a couple of years to get his players in here and playing and I am more than confident we will see a huge improvement.

blacksuit

Quote from: gcraise1 on January 19, 2008, 11:46:52 pm
I knew this year was going to be a struggle. I am by no way even close to calling for coach P's head. These players have yet to show consistancy since they have been here. Coach P IMO is getting what he can out of here. Give Coach P a couple of years to get his players in here and playing and I am more than confident we will see a huge improvement.

And I don't want to think about what happens if that doesn't work out

Fatty McGee

Quote from: mathhog on January 19, 2008, 11:34:11 pm
agreed.  but rake CAN shoot...

But can he create a shot off the dribble?  Probably not from the practices I've seen.

This team suffers from the lack of a PG.  And always will.  You beat Arkansas by slowing the game down and exposing our lack of half court offense.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Razorback88

We have next to nothing coming back, and will be depending on freshmen to step up.  It's probably not going to be pretty for a year or two.

chiefsfan

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 20, 2008, 01:35:25 am
which explains why he has 0 points all season
Considering the fact that he has taken all of three shots and played a whopping total of four minutes, not surprising. I am not saying he will be all SEC, but give the kid a break. He had a very big adjustment to make. Whether or not he can make it remains to be seen, but the kid can shoot.

We have no one on this team besides maybe Weems or Beverly who can create a shot off the dribble. Pel will get his guys in and they will win. I  think that it might take three years, but this will be a good team again.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

HawgG

Quote from: mathhog on January 19, 2008, 09:32:59 pm
TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND MEET THE 2008-2009 HOGS:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=165538.0

Shooters & Guards
Clarke
Fortson
Britt
Beverley
Welsh
Cox
Rakestraw
Patsatsia

Forwards & Bigs
Washington
Sanchez
Clark
Moore
Payne

photo credit: scout.com

AND what about it?

I'm sorry I just got home from an all nighter(work), so after the deep breath what now?

BTW who are these bone heads calling for the poor guy's job in the middle of January?

I would think it is only to fair to wait and see if this team can first make the NCAAT and then win a game.

I mean if the team misses the NCAAT then it is fair to ask for the guy's job.Fair is Fair right.

jackflash

You new the type of talent coach Pel had coming back. Been three years before he got here with not much improvement. Look at NOLAN first year and how he did. What I look at are they playing hard, will coach Pel put up with them not hustling. He had no chance in his first year to recruit. Look what he did in his first full recruiting year. No solid point guard and lack of out shooting is killing this team. You had to know this would be a problem again this year after all you seen them play last year.

jchill

rude1

Looked at that roster and it is not impressive. We will struggle even worse next year with that roster. Hope I am wrong, but that is what I am seeing.

HawgAdvocate

January 20, 2008, 10:20:21 am #27 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:22:16 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HawgG on January 20, 2008, 09:18:36 am
AND what about it?

I'm sorry I just got home from an all nighter(work), so after the deep breath what now?

BTW who are these bone heads calling for the poor guy's job in the middle of January?

I would think it is only to fair to wait and see if this team can first make the NCAAT and then win a game.

I mean if the team misses the NCAAT then it is fair to ask for the guy's job.Fair is Fair right.

How is that fair to ask for his job? Pel doesn't play half court basketball. Pel isn't grooming his program for half court basketball. Pel hasn't had a full year to coach these kids. He can't transform their fundamentals from shotty to great overnight. Pel had Ervin playing well off the bench for a good while, but he's fell off the wagon, and unfortauntly, there are no other players to fill the void THIS SEASON.

And don't say "well, why didn't he sign a better PG for this years team." Quick fixes aren't so easily found. Heath thought he had one in Dontell Jefferson after Big Al went pro, and that didn't do jack squat except force the Hogs to play 4 vs 5 offensively.

Look at Kentucky. BCG has given up having a family and sleeping regularly just to be a great coach. He made programs out of UTEP and TAMU, but it wasn't done overnight. Kentucky has a lot of stiffs on the roster, thanks to Tubby's poor recruiting. Is BCG suddenly a bad coach because he can't transform a team he hasn't had a full year with into a dominate beast that you expected Pelphrey to do with the Hogs?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mathhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2008, 10:20:21 am
How is that fair to ask for his job? Pel doesn't play half court basketball. Pel isn't grooming his program for half court basketball. Pel hasn't had a full year to coach these kids. He can't transform their fundamentals from shotty to great overnight.

+1 many times over!!!

ballhogger14u

im not calling for his head or anything , but there are several things that really concern me. first his recruits from last year, rake and pat are not d1 players period, he didn't think the big kid was ready or he would not have redshirted him. hopefully the kids coming in next year can help if not were screwed, then theres the coaching aspect, i know he can't help some of these players ,but he doesn't make any in game adjustments , granted the jury is still out, but in the meantime i think i will keep my money in my pocket until he  can prove otherwise

mathhog

Quote from: ballhogger14u on January 20, 2008, 03:35:23 pm
he didn't think the big kid was ready or he would not have redshirted him.

i disagree.

i think sanchez COULD be ready, but why waste a year of eligibility when you have Hill, Thomas, Townes, and Mike wash (heck even vincent who can get a rebound and shoot the 3) playing in front of you?

i think the redshirt was some of sanchez's choice too.

bd93

Quote from: rude1 on January 20, 2008, 10:06:20 am
Looked at that roster and it is not impressive. We will struggle even worse next year with that roster. Hope I am wrong, but that is what I am seeing.

You are now displaying all of your basketball knowlage.

Hot_Town_Hog

January 20, 2008, 03:50:59 pm #32 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:56:13 pm by Hot_Town_Hog
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2008, 10:20:21 am

Look at Kentucky. BCG has given up having a family and sleeping regularly just to be a great coach. He made programs out of UTEP and TAMU, but it wasn't done overnight. Kentucky has a lot of stiffs on the roster, thanks to Tubby's poor recruiting. Is BCG suddenly a bad coach because he can't transform a team he hasn't had a full year with into a dominate beast that you expected Pelphrey to do with the Hogs?

Are you sure that is why BCG doesn't have a family? Everything I hear seems to indicate he likes to party and entertain the ladies.

With that said, KY has shown much improvement the last couple of games, and appear to be playing very hard. I would bet he has made adjustments to his philosophy to get what he can with the talent he has.

I have been on Pel's bandwagon as much as anyone, but there is no way you can't be a little concerned with the effort this team is putting out. Last year Beverly looked like one of the best Freshman in the Country, but this year he is average at best thus far. He doesn't even seem to care, and he had more fire than anyone last year.

We were picked to win the West and were a pre-season Top 20 team. The folks voting for that based it on the talent they saw last year. Nolan's first year team was not a pre-season Top 20 by any stretch.

March Madness is the highlight of my whole Spring, and it is getting old with the Hogs not being a factor. I am still optimistic this team can work things out and get it going. The West is there for the taking if we want it. It may take some changes from the players and the Coaches to get there.

rude1

rude1

Quote from: donewithdale on January 20, 2008, 04:18:40 pm
Its a good class but its middle of the pack SEC with no immediate star.  That means '09 won't be any better than this season.  Till Pel gets a Huery, Day, Corliss, Joe Johnson-type, this program will struggle to be any more than a bubble team and middle of the pack SEC.  That isn't acceptable to most Hog fans and we've never been a fan base known for patience especially with our basketball program.
Agreed, no go to guy in this class on a team that lacks one. I am not saying these guys aren't good players, just that they are role players. It will be imperative that Coach P lands at least one or two guys  in the next class who are in the top 30. To do that, he is going to have get some guys to leave, as there are no juniors on this current roster.

Razorod

Quote from: rude1 on January 20, 2008, 04:37:26 pm
It will be imperative that Coach P lands at least one or two guys  in the next class who are in the top 30. To do that, he is going to have get some guys to leave, as there are no juniors on this current roster.
I doubt Pel hesitates doing what's necessary in order to free up some scholarships. I'm even thinking he may not be done for this year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

mathhog

alaback

Enjoy this video.  A true bonafide, big time PG who can get up and down the floor.  Rotnei will get plenty of shots in transition.  It's coming, oh, it's coming!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8U04ryh8mU

william.lane123

Quote from: fanofthehog on January 19, 2008, 09:36:30 pm
Keep in mind that I have not seen him play, but I'm scared that Rotnei will be another Cannon Whitby.

No way on the Cannon comment,  this kid has the quickest shot I've seen in years.  What his game films, very quick shooter.

guthhog

my father in law is a high school and juco basketball referee who has seen rotnei clark play many times this season and last.  i trust this man when it comes to hoops and he swears that clark is the REAL deal.  said he has a heart of a lion and a killer instinct we havent seen in years.
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

guthhog

and the skills to go with it
he said picture pat bradley...only a better shooter defender and ball handler with the speed to boot
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

PeytonManningSUCKS

We did fire our coach "last year" so right now, "next year" is forgivable. 

mathhog

Quote from: alaback on January 21, 2008, 10:59:49 pm
Enjoy this video.  A true bonafide, big time PG who can get up and down the floor.  Rotnei will get plenty of shots in transition.  It's coming, oh, it's coming!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8U04ryh8mU

sweet.  and he's already played at the bud i might add!

Tripod1

Quote from: Razorback88 on January 20, 2008, 01:30:37 am
We have next to nothing coming back, and will be depending on freshmen to step up.  It's probably not going to be pretty for a year or two.
Not an exxuse these days.  Look at the good teams this year that are playing freshmen and sophomores. Not many great players make it to their senior year unless they are like our seniors (not very good).  Most are playing at the next level.

condohog

http://newsok.com/article/3066049/

This is from another thread but it shows what sort of dedication Clarke has to basketball. I don't think he will be a rakestraw.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: condohog on January 23, 2008, 12:37:04 pm

This is from another thread but it shows what sort of dedication Clarke has to basketball. I don't think he will be a rakestraw.
+1 I read that article while he was still undecided.  Man it gets me fired up.  Have y'all head the story about Stan visiting him and he made 96 of 100 3's he shot for him?  I love it, sounds like he's a serious baller.

EDIT:  That story is on that page in a side note...  it was 94 of 100. 
Shooting superlatives
During his workouts, Rotnei Clarke has achieved some astounding numbers. Among them:

•Made 94 of 100 3-pointers in an exhibition for former Arkansas coach Stan Heath.

•Made 74 straight 3-pointers.

•Made 137 straight free throws.

By George Schroeder

mathhog

Quote from: condohog on January 23, 2008, 12:37:04 pm

awesome read

Quote from: RanSolo on January 23, 2008, 01:18:09 pm
+1 I read that article while he was still undecided.  Man it gets me fired up.  Have y'all head the story about Stan visiting him and he made 96 of 100 3's he shot for him?  I love it, sounds like he's a serious baller.

EDIT:  That story is on that page in a side note...  it was 94 of 100. 
Shooting superlatives
During his workouts, Rotnei Clarke has achieved some astounding numbers. Among them:

•Made 94 of 100 3-pointers in an exhibition for former Arkansas coach Stan Heath.

•Made 74 straight 3-pointers.

•Made 137 straight free throws.

By George Schroeder

that's...........  AMAZING.

Newcoachplease

i dont think i could make 74 straight layups, that is amazing!

cardinalhawg

What concerns me next year is the inside play.  True, our current inside players have been up and down, but they do have some bulk and defensive ability.  Our lack of bulk could really hurt us defensively next year, plus we need to have some kind of inside game to open up the perimeter game.  Our guard play and depth should be better next year as well as our three point shooting, but inside play could be a problem, unless the younger guys come on quick and add some strength.

Michael Washington will need to really come on next year and Beverley will need to regain his offensive form too.

As some have mentioned, we need that one star recruit to get us back to being a great team.