Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My thoughts on Mike Anderson, for those who care.

Started by mizzouman, December 08, 2014, 08:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Champs04

I'm so tired of healing and Nolan Richardson get over it! mike has to win or finally get a coach that can do it. The team deserves it and the fans deserve it

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 09:17:29 am
Again, if you know what you are getting, then why complain?

Even though it may have seemed so while he was coaching at Mizzou, not everyone demanded we get him back.  They just weren't nearly as vocal about it.  The UAB Sw16 and your E8 team gave those who never let go enough ammunition to remain vocal.

As I have told you before, we understand the rollercoaster.  You aren't enlightening us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 10:28:17 am
Problem is, Jeff Long didn't hire Mike Anderson. Boosters and lettermen hired Mike Anderson. Long wouldn't have ever come up with the idea himself.

The buck stops with Jeff Long.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 10:30:20 am
I am not surprised at all.

Why would you say that? Nobody would have imagined that at the beginning. It sure didn't happen at Missouri, or UAB. You're just prescient?
[CENSORED]!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 10:22:14 am
I was concerned about how long it would take MA to change the roster, given it was short on guards and he couldn't rely on juco transfers + couldn't get rid of everybody who deserved to go, because of the APR.

He wasn't the perfect fit for the situation -- we were destined to go through a couple of rough seasons that would start people griping. Well, the real surprise is that we're in year four, and MA is still playing a bunch of guys who can't defend.

I agree. The other concern I have is, where will the team be if Portis and Qualls leave early?  While there has been progress in wins year to year, it's hard to not see regression next year if Portis and Qualls leave because our player development is sluggish at best.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

mizzouman

Quote from: latrops on December 08, 2014, 10:09:08 am
The results are not as expected.  He was in the Sweet 16 in his 2nd year at UAB.  He was in the Elite 8 in his 3rd year at Mizzou.  He is now in his 4th year at Arkansas, hasn't yet made the NCAAT, and just lost to a team that Winthrop and Garner Webb beat a couple of weeks ago.  Something is different here.  Season is far from over, but what he has done so far doesn't compare favorably with what he has done in the past.
I am surprised that he hasn't taken the Hogs to the NCAAT yet.  But, there's still a lot of hope for this year. 

My point is that a loss to Clemson at Clemson shouldn't surprise anyone.  Also what shouldn't surprise anyone is if Arkansas beats Kentucky or Florida...or both this year and make a run in the SECT.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mizzouman

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 08, 2014, 10:11:02 am
I don't understand these replies.  I knew what we were getting when we hired Mike, and I'm complaining.  I'm not surprised at the way the team is playing and I am not happy about the results.  We look a lot like we did at the end of Nolan's era.  It's not as if I had a vote as to who the Razorbacks hired 4 years ago.

Mike's hiring did a number of good things:  1) brought home a familiar/friendly face; 2) more importantly, allowed true healing to begin after Nolan was fired - brought us full circle; and 3) to a far lesser degree and with much less importance, gave Arkansas the opportunity to bring in a coach from a peer program - giving us the temporary impression that Arkansas was still a desirable job, which most doubted after the previous 2 hires.

FWIW, Missouri was 100% correct in not matching Arkansas's offer.  Any Missouri fan that is surprised that Mike would leave Mizzou for Arkansas - given what we are paying him - is not thinking clearly.  The greater questions for Mizzou fans is why Mike didn't see more opportunity to build his own program in Columbia - that was his team (a good team) that he left up there; and why did Frank Haith abandon Mizzou for Tulsa after 3 years in Columbia?  I'm disappointed that Tulsa gave that thug a job.  My guess is Tulsa liked the idea of taking talent from Mizzou, too.

I suspect that Mike and his family missed Fayetteville.  I also suspect that Mike didn't see a way to win the Big 12 at Missouri - perhaps if he had known Mizzou would end up in the SEC a year later he wouldn't have campaigned so hard for the Razorback job.

Everybody likes Mike.  I just wish he inspired more confidence in me.  Other posters have said it - Mike doesn't appear to have the same drive Nolan had, or whatever.

Until Mike can show up in a living room and convince the best players to be Razorbacks, and then take those players and organize them on a basketball court in a way that consistently optimizes their talents, I am going to be disappointed in the Razorback basketball program.

For me, it starts with the Hogs playing with defensive intensity.  Become the dominant nightmare that can show up every night.  Throw wave after wave of players until opposing point guards wilt - and somebody must rotate to stop giving up easy shots.  Where is the egg that Nolan created?

Next, go get Kevaughn Allen and tell him to stay home.  Recruit him so hard and heavy that he can't help but stick around.  Show some freaking emotion!  We desperately need good guards, and Kevaughn fits the bill.
Explain to me how you are NOT surprised by the way they are playing yet ARE surprised by the results.  It's one in the same.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 10:40:27 am
Why would you say that? Nobody would have imagined that at the beginning. It sure didn't happen at Missouri, or UAB. You're just prescient?

No, I don't have esp, I am just not surprised. I never thought he was a great recruiter, and the guards at Mizzou were not that great his last two years there.

It seems his guards are always decent scorers that are a defensive liability, especially when trying to play in a half court setting, or they are solid on defense, but can not score at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ArkansasI

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 10:46:46 am
Explain to me how you are NOT surprised by the way they are playing yet ARE surprised by the results.  It’s one in the same.
That's not what I said.  Re-read my quote.

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on December 08, 2014, 09:24:43 am
Mike is a good basketball coach but many on here believed that hiring him was bringing back Nolan's "30 minutes of Hades". They were wrong. Mike is not Nolan Richardson nor will he ever attempt to be. He is Mike Anderson.
Very few thought that but most hopped we would see something similar to what he did at UAB and Mizzou
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mizzouman

December 08, 2014, 10:48:52 am #61 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:59:52 am by mizzouman
Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 08, 2014, 10:25:50 am
So everyone is capable of making changes minor adjustments (sometimes even more!) to improve at their job except Mike Anderson?

Why?  Is he dumb?  Stubborn?  Blind?  What is it?
His comments....not mine.  Those comments are....."We have a blueprint that wins National Championships and that's the blueprint I'm going to use."

Of course I'm paraphrasing a bit but he's going to use what he knows...

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 10:32:44 am
Even though it may have seemed so while he was coaching at Mizzou, not everyone demanded we get him back.  They just weren't nearly as vocal about it.  The UAB Sw16 and your E8 team gave those who never let go enough ammunition to remain vocal.

As I have told you before, we understand the rollercoaster.  You aren't enlightening us.
This is what I don't understand.  Everyone seems to know the ups and downs yet still complain about the ride?  It's like driving on ice and complaining that it's slippery. 

yodcw2003

I am an intense Arkansas football and basketball fan complete w/ yelling, screaming and non-stop in-game analysis. Wife thinks I'm ridiculous and hopes it doesn't rub off on our 4-yr old son.

Yesterday, I fell asleep during an Arkansas game for the first time in my life.

I think it was some kid of subconscious defense mechanism. The product I was watching was so bad that I think my body just wanted to go to a "happy place".

mizzouman

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 10:53:19 am
This is what I don't understand.  Everyone seems to know the ups and downs yet still complain about the ride?  It's like driving on ice and complaining that it's slippery.

No.  Not everyone.  Mike's very vocal supporters are silent right now.  I could list them for you but you have been around enough to know who they are.  Those old enough were Nolan's biggest supporters if that helps to identify if you have read our message boards long enough. 

Many of those who have posted since the last two games have been silent for a long time or at least since last season.  It isn't worth even trying to discuss these things in this forum.  This is a small window where some fans can be heard.  After these BWA wins, the forum will go back to like it was.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 10:54:31 am
It's always on the AD.

Not in this unique instance.  This is the type of unique situation only our athletic department can put itself in.. 

mizzouman

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 08, 2014, 10:48:23 am
That's not what I said.  Re-read my quote.
I'm reading this...." I'm not surprised at the way the team is playing and I am not happy about the results."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, and if I am, I apologize in advance, but this says to me that you know how the team will play but you are not happy with the way it's turning out.

I don't understand.  If you know what you are getting, but you are not happy with it, then don't you think that it's a Jeff Long issue and not a Mike Anderson issue? 

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 10:56:47 am
No.  Not everyone.  Mike's very vocal supporters are silent right now.  I could list them for you but you have been around enough to know who they are.  Those old enough were Nolan's biggest supporters if that helps to identify if you have read our message boards long enough. 

Many of those who have posted since the last two games have been silent for a long time or at least since last season.  It isn't worth even trying to discuss these things in this forum.  This is a small window where some fans can be heard.  After these BWA wins, the forum will go back to like it was.
Yes, as the message boards go.  I get it.

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 10:58:00 am
Not in this unique instance.  This is the type of unique situation only our athletic department can put itself in..
Regardless.  Alumni and boosters won't get fired obviously.  But, it's still on his watch.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 10:45:55 am
This hire had to be made.  It isn't on Long. 

While there are a few who have a cult attachment to the past, most of the fan base was deeply disappointed in the hire as was noted at the time and as the empty seats have testified.

The hire is on the guy who is paid $1M+ to make the right decisions.  Would the same decision have been made if Frank Broyles was AD ?

ArkansasI

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 10:58:23 am
I'm reading this...." I'm not surprised at the way the team is playing and I am not happy about the results."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, and if I am, I apologize in advance, but this says to me that you know how the team will play but you are not happy with the way it's turning out.

I don't understand.  If you know what you are getting, but you are not happy with it, then don't you think that it's a Jeff Long issue and not a Mike Anderson issue? 

I don't run the athletic department.  And I am not the voice of all Razorback fans - my opinion is my own.  I can't say if everyone else is surprised or expected the results we have today.

Right now, it's a Mike Anderson issue because he is the head basketball coach.  If he can't fix it, then Jeff will have to do something about it in time.

Personally, I am not surprised that Mike has been unable to turn the Razorbacks into the team that is consistently competitive.  During the end of Nolan's tenure, many fans believed that Mike was essentially running the team.  Of course, I don't know if that is true.

Regardless, Nolan's teams stopped playing dominant basketball in the fall of 1995.  The perception was that we were progressively declining as a basketball power.  Mike was heavily involved in... everything.  Armchair fans like me assumed that Nolan had lost his fire and was waiting to hand the reigns over to Mike.

The beauty of the system employed by Nolan - and Mike - is that it never required the very best players to run it.  Like all teams, the better the players the better the results.  But, the belief I have is that you can take a bunch of good players and beat a team with a few better players on it by challenging their endurance.

However, I haven't seen that system employed with any real success in nearly 20 years.  And I'm not particularly surprised that it isn't producing the results we hope for today.

My problem with this team is it appears to lack the tenacity to play hard for 40 minutes, and we don't put away inferior teams like we did when we were successful.  I also question whether we can out-athlete opponents today.  If we can't, and certainly if we don't play with greater urgency, then I don't think that what Mike is doing will be successful.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on December 08, 2014, 11:13:50 am
While there are a few who have a cult attachment to the past, most of the fan base was deeply disappointed in the hire as was noted at the time and as the empty seats have testified.

The hire is on the guy who is paid $1M+ to make the right decisions.  Would the same decision have been made if Frank Broyles was AD ?

He didn't make this decision alone just as he hasn't made certain others alone. 

But even if he had, it was the safe decision.  And it was one we needed. 

I still wonder though if Pel could have lasted a couple of more seasons how much luster would have been gone from Mike given his last team was in disarray when he left, Bowers missed the following season and he had to turn the roster over after that due to the scholarship imbalance he setup. 

Marshfieldhog

Anderson needs to be forced to shake up the staff, his assistants rank among the worst in college basketball.

HF#1

You can't lose to teams like Clemson.  Not with this team.  Just can't. 

We now have to win a high volume of games to make the tournament.  21-22 wins won't work. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

latrops

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 08, 2014, 10:48:51 am
Very few thought that but most hopped we would see something similar to what he did at UAB and Mizzou

Exactly.  It's not so much that he isn't Nolan...it's that the Arkansas CMA doesn't seem to be as good as the Mizzou and UAB CMA.  Year 4, time to see real progress. 

latrops

Quote from: HF#1 on December 08, 2014, 11:31:08 am
You can't lose to teams like Clemson.  Not with this team.  Just can't. 

We now have to win a high volume of games to make the tournament.  21-22 wins won't work. 

We should win 25 or so games because the SEC is so weak.  Then again, Clemson is pretty weak, too.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 11:25:54 am

But even if he had, it was the safe decision.  And it was one we needed

I still wonder though if Pel could have lasted a couple of more seasons how much luster would have been gone from Mike given his last team was in disarray when he left, Bowers missed the following season and he had to turn the roster over after that due to the scholarship imbalance he setup. 

It was not a decision we needed.  Those few who can't get over the past shouldn't be influencing the decisions.  That harks back to the GOBN that many of the Long supporters themselves have decried.  Of course, a competent AD wouldn't have been susceptible to such influence.  He could recognize coaching talent, create his short list, and gone out and sold the program to both a top coach and to those at the U of A who he needs on board with the decision.    A winner would have subsequently cured many ills.  But this takes vision and leadership.

You're right, though, that one more year of $750k Pel and a Mizzou program that was withering on the vine might have made a remarkable difference in where the program is today.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: mizzouman on December 08, 2014, 10:48:52 am
His comments....not mine.  Those comments are....."We have a blueprint that wins National Championships and that's the blueprint I'm going to use."

Of course I'm paraphrasing a bit but he's going to use what he knows...

That has nothing to do with what I said.  I wasn't talking about changing his entire philosophy.  I was talking about improving as a coach.  Everyone can improve at what they do without changing their entire philosophy/approach.  (we already discussed this and you agreed)
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: latrops on December 08, 2014, 11:43:36 am
Exactly.  It's not so much that he isn't Nolan...it's that the Arkansas CMA doesn't seem to be as good as the Mizzou and UAB CMA.  Year 4, time to see real progress. 

Younger players will develop as the season unfolds, but I remain concerned. MA's flexibility as a coach is in question. A former college coach and a national beat writer both threw that at me last season. They said MA needed a certain complementary set of players, and if he didn't have them, he was incapable of adjusting and getting the best out of his players. That was before Arkansas beat Kentucky for the second time then folded against Alabama and South Carolina, played in the NIT, and got shellacked at Cal.

I don't believe inflexible is the right way to put it. MA tries to adjust. He seems to get stuck halfway between different philosophies.
[CENSORED]!

latrops

I disagree completely.  Most of the fan base was disappointed that we hired a former assistant who, at the time, had been to the NCAAT in 6 of the prior 8 seasons with two programs...including a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8?  That makes no sense.  Sure, some were disappointed...some are always disappointed no matter what happens...but that was definitely the minority.  Most were at least cautiously optimistic, if not over the top thrilled.

Biggus Piggus

This is a wretched rewrite of history, wholly fabricated, deliberately false for whatever purpose you have. If Broyles had been AD, maybe he would have done better than Heath and Pelphrey, ROFL. Sure, that would have been the answer. Before hiring Nolan, Broyles wanted to hire Rollie Massimino and Bob Donewald. He wanted to replace Nolan with Moe Iba, two years in. Seriously?
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: latrops on December 08, 2014, 11:43:36 am

Personnel. 

At UAB, Mike could get players that couldn't get into Arkansas like Eddins and he went to the JCs for guards like the Taylors and McDonald.  His system was built for a mid major program.  Actually a small Mexican high school team but it translates well to undersized mid major basketball where you have to rely on guards and wings.  He could get those at UAB. 

At Mizzou, the timing was right for family and friends to help.  And I'm not saying this as a criticism or taking a shot at Mike.  Carroll, Bowers, the Presseys added to JC transfers like Hannah and Ratliffe, a transfer in Taylor and some good guards who weren't elite recruits but fit what he wanted to do.  Carroll, Ratliffe and Bowers complimented the guard system. 

Now he is trying to do it for the 3rd time.  How does he do it at Arkansas?  The state still produces very good talent every so often.  We still are attractive to good out of state recruits as well.  He is trying to mine the JC's still and take transfers.  Will this work again? 

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 11:53:58 am
This is a wretched rewrite of history, wholly fabricated, deliberately false for whatever purpose you have. If Broyles had been AD, maybe he would have done better than Heath and Pelphrey, ROFL. Sure, that would have been the answer. Before hiring Nolan, Broyles wanted to hire Rollie Massimino and Bob Donewald. He wanted to replace Nolan with Moe Iba, two years in. Seriously?

Broyles track record speaks for itself. 

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 10:40:27 am

In response to your reply to hogsanity, I beg to differ.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=396070.msg6059694#msg6059694

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on December 08, 2014, 11:51:32 am
I disagree completely.  Most of the fan base was disappointed that we hired a former assistant who, at the time, had been to the NCAAT in 6 of the prior 8 seasons with two programs...including a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8?  That makes no sense.  Sure, some were disappointed...some are always disappointed no matter what happens...but that was definitely the minority.  Most were at least cautiously optimistic, if not over the top thrilled.

I was disappointed because I thought they could have gotten someone with similar credentials, but without all the nostalgic baggage.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 11:59:55 am
I was disappointed because I thought they could have gotten someone with similar credentials, but without all the nostalgic baggage.

Probably could have.  But I think this was a better path if it doesn't in that worst case scenario we discussed. 

They would have needed to have had success and for Mike to have not gotten that team back again that he left for Haith and failed with all of those open scholarships.  If he would have continued to make the NCAAT, you know how it would have been with a coach here trying to rebuild. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 12:03:39 pm
Probably could have.  But I think this was a better path if it doesn't in that worst case scenario we discussed. 

They would have needed to have had success and for Mike to have not gotten that team back again that he left for Haith and failed with all of those open scholarships.  If he would have continued to make the NCAAT, you know how it would have been with a coach here trying to rebuild. 

So instead, we now have a coach, that short of a scandal, or 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row, can not be fired with out " oh look, they did him just like they did Nolan ' or " they never gave him a fair chance " or " they were getting better, he just needed more time " etc.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 12:38:45 pm
So instead, we now have a coach, that short of a scandal, or 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row, can not be fired with out " oh look, they did him just like they did Nolan ' or " they never gave him a fair chance " or " they were getting better, he just needed more time " etc.

Probably more like a few seasons from now, no NCAAT wins and maybe another NIT appearance.  Then the discussions would begin.  The time argument wouldn't carry much weight.  But who knows by that time if enough will care to where it is worth it to make a change.  I think the apathy has been underestimated.  A few see criticism or a lack of regular posting as haters laying in the weeds waiting.  Or a lack of excitement over a perceived big win as hating.  It is just a lack of emotion which has been lost over the years and a belief this isn't going anywhere great. 

I still think he has success though and catches the right mix again or perhaps breaks in the NCAAT matchups and has another one of those seasons and it will extend this. 

Breems

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 12:38:45 pm

Those sorts of apologists exist for every coach.

I feel sorry for you if you think our situation is unprecedented.

In the real world, performance is measured by performance, not what your boss did 20 years ago.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 11:25:54 am

But even if he had, it was the safe decision.  And it was one we needed. 

Jeff Long should have never allowed himself to be pushed into making that hire though. When hiring the football coach, he took his time, didn't cave under to pressure, did it his way, and things are looking up for the football program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on December 08, 2014, 12:52:32 pm
Those sorts of apologists exist for every coach.

I feel sorry for you if you think our situation is unprecedented.

In the real world, performance is measured by performance, not what your boss did 20 years ago.

This particular situation is different. Had the Hogs hired someone NOT named Mike Anderson, they could have given him 4 or 5 years, and if significant improvement had not been made, they could have let him go without the references to what was done to Nolan, etc.  Of course apologists exist for every coach, but not to the level for this one, due to the nostalgic baggage he brought with him.

hogman99

Quote from: Kevin on December 08, 2014, 08:23:31 am
Op is correct.  Most of the fans decided to overlook it.

He will beat bad teams, and play .500 against power 5 conference teams

That is unacceptable!!

Kevin

Quote from: hogman99 on December 08, 2014, 01:11:47 pm
That is unacceptable!!

funny, how it is unacceptable, now. but in the first three seasons, you were at hater to point this out.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

ma needs to adjust!!! hogs are too predictable. coaches know how to game plan and exploit their weakness
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Etowah

I don't think the OP is saying Mike Anderson can't adjust...that he isn't smart enough to adjust...just that he will not adjust because he doesn't think it is necessary.

This is what he knows...this is what he teaches...and this is what he has seen win a national championship before and he himself has coached this style to very successful seasons.

Very few coaches actually ever change their basic philosophy of teaching and coaching.  They make minor adjustments.

If MA gets good enough players, this style can win a national championship....proven point.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Etowah on December 08, 2014, 01:36:03 pm
I don't think the OP is saying Mike Anderson can't adjust...that he isn't smart enough to adjust...just that he will not adjust because he doesn't think it is necessary.

This is what he knows...this is what he teaches...and this is what he has seen win a national championship before and he himself has coached this style to very successful seasons.

Very few coaches actually ever change their basic philosophy of teaching and coaching.  They make minor adjustments.

If MA gets good enough players, this style can win a national championship....proven point.

I don't have a problem sticking with a philosophy, just do a better job of teaching and implementing it.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Etowah on December 08, 2014, 01:36:03 pm

This is FAR from what won any National Championship.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ballz2thewall

i've waxed on many threads about what i see that isn't being done and/or what needs to be done [according to this armchair coach].

aside from the specifics, in four years we have no bread-and-butter on the court, at either end, with the sole exception of blocked shots.

consider this from an opponents perspective - exactly what do you attempt to shut-down with arkansas?  inside play? three-pointers?  beware the press, trap or double?
The rest of the frog.