Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bud Walton Arena Improvements that are drastically needed to stay competitive

Started by NuttinItUp, February 01, 2008, 11:57:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

flagstaffhog

Great suggestions. Last game I was able to attend in BWA was Patrick Beverly's 1st. Even though we played well and won the game, it was dull until PB started pumping his fist to the crowd. The crowd got fired up, and then S. Hill had a monster rebound dunk and the place went crazy - only for a few minutes though. Went to the football game the next day where the atmosphere was outstanding........We took to tennessee that day!
Go HOGS Go!

Michael Porkleone

I'm still not sold on ribbon banners.  I thought they were sweet when NFL teams 1st started putting them up (seems like Jacksonville was early on this) but now notice the amount of ads that run on them. 

I guess i'm 50/50 as far as asthetics from this. 

BWA is a great pure basketball arena.  The team does usually go as the crowd goes. 

Quote from: sasnakrafan on February 02, 2008, 02:52:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13OahMzYwU&feature=related

just imagining replacing this with hogs!

That is pretty sweet.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

SquidBilly

hogs25

It definitely needs a spark in there no doubt about it.  I've been saying it for year's how boring it's become from attending or watching it on TV.  First and foremost it's too dark in there.  Notice today on Channel 7 when it shows the corner shot of the court that you can't even see people past the 3rd row.  The student section needs redesigning.  The band needs to step up.  It's also too quiet in there.  If BWA was a 10 in the mid 90's, it's been a steady 3 for about 5 year's it seems.  Charge the students a dollar like how we used to pay it back in the 90's.  Apparently it cost the students a lot to attend so you can't blame most for not wanting to go.   This year has been an improvement over Stan.

want2be

When only 1,000 students are able to attend we got a problem. Ticket prices need to come down for the students to be able to attend. The seating for students needs to be redesigned.

Buck Brewer

Winning big is the best imporvement that BWA needs, do that the rest disappears.

Students found the money back him it first opened, students have no one but themselves to balme for lose of seating. Students can get together and share ticket books. Students are lousy and pathetic  the bunch behind the goal are plain sad and need put down. Students need not be bitching about the old people these days.

Ribbonboards will mean just another fancy ad to sell

arkjay19

WOW.  I knew we were behind, I didn't know we were that far behind though.  The fact that Kentucky and Alabama are so much better than us is sad.  Someone tell Long quick, he seems like the guy who will make changes when they need to be made.

Hoggy Hoggerton

The best way to improve gameday atmosphere is to win. Second I am not a fan of "pumped in" music at the basketball games. I would much rather have the band play during time outs, but they need to play new songs. Then when the band starts playing these songs the students and cheerleaders need to come up with new dances and cheers to go along with these new songs. We need more things like the william tell overture.

sasnakrafan

well duh, not have the hogs run thru the streets of chicago... modify it to make it our own..... have them run start out running wild in south arkansas, thru the riverwalk at little rock, around the horsetrack once at hot springs, all the way up I-40 and 540 showing the boston mountains thru dickson and around campus and right through say a longhorn bus? that would get the crowd pumped!

also students that have "seats that aren't close to the floor" are dead weight... i guarantee you if they were put closer they would stand and make noise... it's just peer pressure... if u sit behind the band you just naturally feel rude standing up for the sake of people behind you. if you're in a section where you are expected to stand, you will.

cthog99

i got mad at some people in the 1st row behind the student section. they'll stand up to watch bubba hog but not during the game. kids can't stand in the last row of the student section by the floor because the people behind them won't be able to see...poor things.

Bigfoot

Quote from: sasnakrafan on February 02, 2008, 02:52:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13OahMzYwU&feature=related

just imagining replacing this with hogs!
I feel ya man! I was watching some older intro's from the bulls back in the Jordan days!! Sends chills down my back!! That music is awesome!! Alan Parson's Project did that! It is the intro to the song  "Eye in the sky!" I was a huge BULLS fan!!

Moe wins

dirthog

I seen a hog tales on cox sports the other day and shanklin said that he coreographs every little detail of every basketball game
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

john

that's exactly the problem, everything is so choreographed and tired, no creativity whatsoever.  the best (worst) example are the cue cards for the opponents intro-i want to shoot myself they're so lame  they used to be customized for specific opponents, but got a little too off-color or personal at times, so the harmless cards have been in place forever

but, the #1 ingredient to getting back to Barnhill type madness is a team that is in your face on defense for 40 minutes, nothing more exciting than all out effort on D from buzzer to buzzer

BigoBoys

Bob from Dumas

I went to a game today for the first time since Nolan Richardson was the coach.  First of all, it was a great game and and a great atmosphere.  The thing that I noticed that was different from the old days is back then, everything the spirit groups did was designed to get the crowd to make noise.  Today, even though they still do alot of the same things, the emphasis seemed more on the performance rather than getting the crowd whipped into a frenzy.  The crowd was great and the spirit groups do a fantastic job.  I bet most of the SEC wishes they had our spirit groups and their enthusiasm.  It also helped that we manhandled Florida from the start!!  It was just something I noticed.

AckaBacka

I guess I just want to go see a good basketball game.  All the bells and whistles are only OK if you are winning games, otherwise it gets sad, like it has been.  Let's keep winning games and I'm sure someone will go buy some more gadgets for the place.

Razorbacking02

There isn't anything wrong with BWA... the reason the athmosphere isn't as crazy these days as it was back when the place first opened is simple. The program was better. The crowds are already ten times better now with Coach Pel then with ole Fresh Legs. If Pel keeps the program on track, and keeps improving, the athmosphere will as well. The only difference between us, and say programs like 'Bama, Auburn, LSU, even Florida, is that "average" Arkansas crowds are "great" crowds for them.

Like it or not, SEC basketball isn't really that big of a deal in most SEC teams. Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Vandy, and Tennessee are about the only ones who care about their programs.

reddogjcss

Expand the student section; make sure they have great seats also exopand all seating. But that requires a sell out on our part every game.

hoghearted

Quote from: dirthog on February 02, 2008, 10:14:17 pm
I seen a hog tales on cox sports the other day and shanklin said that he coreographs every little detail of every basketball game

At the root of the problem seems to be Shanklin. Can't he do anything right?

He needs replacing.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

IronHog

This is a problem at the football games at well:

RRS:  Why is there no hog call when the D needs it?  Why does the FREAKING JUMBOTRON play corporate messages every timeout?

WMS:  Who turns on the "get loud" sign during offensive drives?  You know the crowd is bored when the wave cranks up.

Marketing and game day atmosphere MUST improve in both major sports.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

RazorBassin

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jj1121 on February 03, 2008, 01:18:40 pm
Drop some email addy's in here and let the onslaught begin.
arkansas@uark.edu is the generic email for the athletic department, correct?

I tried to look some more up for like Jeff Long and the basketball department and stuff, but hogwired seems to be down at the moment.

HognotinMemphis

I didn't read the articles linked in this thread. However, I attended my first game in BWA in 11 seasons and only 2nd ever, the first being a loss to Vandy in '97, on Saturday. Got to see a big win over Fla.

I did not miss a single basketball game in Barnhill my 4 years at school there...fall of '80 to spring of '84.

I noticed two things that I immediately compared to Barnhill...the student section is tiny even though BWA is twice the capacity of Barnhill. My educated guess would be that there were at least 3 times the # of students at games in Barnhill versus what I say in BWA on Saturday. And, it seemed fairly dark to me...even the court seemed too dark.

BWA is a nice place but it needs more students...if they are willing to come. Both "endzones" should be students for first 10 rows and there should be a solid student section from [CENSORED] to last row in some section. If they could get 3,000 to 4,000 students there, they should allow it. After all, it's for the students and even if there were 4,000 students in there, there'd still be nearly 16,000 tickets to sell to general public.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The_Iceman

Two things concerning the student section:

1. There are more students there than just in the sectioned off part. there are students that sit behind the student section all the way up around where bubba hog dances on around to the left. it kinda sucks because they should make it to where everyone sat together.

2. There will never be any changes on where the student section sits. There are too many old farts who have been buying tickets for too long to make it happen. So keep dreaming.

maximus

move the student section indeed.  we are needing a big change.  the players may react to it.  if anyone went to the national championship game at bud walton maybe they can remember.  it seemed there was a really badass intro before the game of a hog from some disney cartoon or something and they changed it where it was chasing all the animals in the wild.  it was crazy, really cool.  have not seen it since.  not sure if anyone can recall or not. 
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoggy Hoggerton on February 02, 2008, 01:33:33 pm
The best way to improve gameday atmosphere is to win. Second I am not a fan of "pumped in" music at the basketball games. I would much rather have the band play during time outs, but they need to play new songs. Then when the band starts playing these songs the students and cheerleaders need to come up with new dances and cheers to go along with these new songs. We need more things like the william tell overture.

Something new, like William Tell?   :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jmingram911

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2008, 10:33:11 am
I didn't read the articles linked in this thread. However, I attended my first game in BWA in 11 seasons and only 2nd ever, the first being a loss to Vandy in '97, on Saturday. Got to see a big win over Fla.

I did not miss a single basketball game in Barnhill my 4 years at school there...fall of '80 to spring of '84.

I noticed two things that I immediately compared to Barnhill...the student section is tiny even though BWA is twice the capacity of Barnhill. My educated guess would be that there were at least 3 times the # of students at games in Barnhill versus what I say in BWA on Saturday. And, it seemed fairly dark to me...even the court seemed too dark.

BWA is a nice place but it needs more students...if they are willing to come. Both "endzones" should be students for first 10 rows and there should be a solid student section from [CENSORED] to last row in some section. If they could get 3,000 to 4,000 students there, they should allow it. After all, it's for the students and even if there were 4,000 students in there, there'd still be nearly 16,000 tickets to sell to general public.

I agree.  The student secton needs to be extended along the whole side and they can move the old farts who sit on their a**es up behind the band.  Look at Duke, Florida, etc and see how students make a difference.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: donewithdale on February 05, 2008, 12:29:06 am
The students are offered more tickets in BWA than in Barnhill.   Location of the student section and interest of the students is what is different now.

The lighting needs to be changed.  Its as dark as the Drum was in Austin before it was renovated. 

Interesting...I guess due to the attendence of the students at Saturday's game, it appeared to me that there were less student seating available than in the old days in an arena half the size of BWA.

Still, the seats behind the goals should be student seating.

Why is the lighting the way it is? I mean, who thought having the stands so dark was a good idea when they built it in 1994?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

CPL HOG

I sent the links to everyone listed and this is what I got back
Dear Matthew

While I am all for the discussion of issues on this topic, your timing is somewhat puzzling.  These blogs were written in April 2007, almost 9 months ago.   If you have been to a game this year, especially since January, you would have noticed that much change has taken place.  If you have not been to a game this season, then you have no basis of credibility to send such a message, particularly one addressed to so many people.

Instead of sending me old news, without personal input, I invite you to share your personal comments about the atmosphere in Bud Walton, both positive and negative.  This issue is very important to me, and I can assure you we have taken steps to implement several of these ideas this year, with others yet to come.  In your opinion, what can be done to make it better?  What do you like?  What do you not like?  Let's deal with your thoughts and opinions, being sure to be fair and to cover both sides of the issue.  Constructive criticism is a part of life, and something I do not mind hearing.  It makes all of us better, if we will just listen and take the positives from it to use for the betterment of whatever we are working on.

In the end, we are all on the same team, working for the same common goals.  The Hogs are back and exciting times are ahead of us!  Let's get on the same boat and do what we can to make the Razorback experience second to none.  GO HOGS!!!

Timothy Gunter
Director of Athletic Bands
University of Arkansas
103 Lewis E. Epley Band Hall
Fayetteville, AR 72701
work - 479-575-4109
fax - 479-575-5212

I also got a nice email
Thanks Matthew - I'd be happy to visit if you have a chance - we're always open to new ideas and to keeping the fans more involved.

Jean Nail
Spirit Coordinator
University of Arkansas
Broyles Athletic Center
P.O. Box 7777
Fayetteville, AR 72702

479-575-6534 (office)
479-521-3598 (home)
479-575-4904 (fax)

faulknercohog

Quote from: donewithdale on February 05, 2008, 12:29:06 am
The students are offered more tickets in BWA than in Barnhill.   Location of the student section and interest of the students is what is different now.

The lighting needs to be changed.  Its as dark as the Drum was in Austin before it was renovated. 

Tubby Smith made a comment years ago about the lighting in BWA. He said the fans look like
Darth Vaders because you can't see their faces. He made it sound like it was intimidating.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: CPL HOG on February 05, 2008, 12:29:25 pm
I sent the links to everyone listed and this is what I got back
Dear Matthew

While I am all for the discussion of issues on this topic, your timing is somewhat puzzling.  These blogs were written in April 2007, almost 9 months ago.   If you have been to a game this year, especially since January, you would have noticed that much change has taken place.  If you have not been to a game this season, then you have no basis of credibility to send such a message, particularly one addressed to so many people.

Instead of sending me old news, without personal input, I invite you to share your personal comments about the atmosphere in Bud Walton, both positive and negative.  This issue is very important to me, and I can assure you we have taken steps to implement several of these ideas this year, with others yet to come.  In your opinion, what can be done to make it better?  What do you like?  What do you not like?  Let's deal with your thoughts and opinions, being sure to be fair and to cover both sides of the issue.  Constructive criticism is a part of life, and something I do not mind hearing.  It makes all of us better, if we will just listen and take the positives from it to use for the betterment of whatever we are working on.

In the end, we are all on the same team, working for the same common goals.  The Hogs are back and exciting times are ahead of us!  Let's get on the same boat and do what we can to make the Razorback experience second to none.  GO HOGS!!!

Timothy Gunter
Director of Athletic Bands
University of Arkansas
103 Lewis E. Epley Band Hall
Fayetteville, AR 72701
work - 479-575-4109
fax - 479-575-5212

I also got a nice email
Thanks Matthew - I'd be happy to visit if you have a chance - we're always open to new ideas and to keeping the fans more involved.

Jean Nail
Spirit Coordinator
University of Arkansas
Broyles Athletic Center
P.O. Box 7777
Fayetteville, AR 72702

479-575-6534 (office)
479-521-3598 (home)
479-575-4904 (fax)

I have had some friends that have sent Gunter some suggestions in the past. He always seems to blow them off with excuses. He is certainly very comfortable in his position as band director and doesn't want to change anything.

faulknercohog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 06, 2008, 03:02:01 am
I have had some friends that have sent Gunter some suggestions in the past. He always seems to blow them off with excuses. He is certainly very comfortable in his position as band director and doesn't want to change anything.

Perhaps changing Band Directors would help.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Michael11

Do they still turn out the lights when they announce the starting lineup? I remember when the Hog use to run down Dixon street on the jumbo tron. Does this still happen?
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

The_Iceman

Quote from: CON HOG WAY on February 06, 2008, 02:58:56 am

Tubby Smith made a comment years ago about the lighting in BWA. He said the fans look like
Darth Vaders because you can't see their faces. He made it sound like it was intimidating.

except they do need a spotlight on bubba hog.

George S. Pigton

Just saw some highlights of Iowa St. and Texas A&M, if Iowa State can have a ribbon,
Bud Walton has to have a ribbon.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

cthog99

don't call the hogs after the band stops playing when there isn't much going on in the game and the timeout is about over. usually half the crowd doesn't do it, and it sounds real sorry.

faulknercohog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 06, 2008, 10:05:06 am
except they do need a spotlight on bubba hog.

We could put Bubba on an elevated platform, you know like those 1960s go go dancers. Put the
spotlight on him, in the meantime while our opponents are standing flatfooted gawking up at
this jaw dropping spectacle going on, the hogs could easily steal the ball for a slamdunk. Bubba could be a sure 6 point advantage for us...........GO BUBBA HOG!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: CON HOG WAY on February 06, 2008, 09:58:48 pm
We could put Bubba on an elevated platform, you know like those 1960s go go dancers. Put the
spotlight on him, in the meantime while our opponents are standing flatfooted gawking up at
this jaw dropping spectacle going on, the hogs could easily steal the ball for a slamdunk. Bubba could be a sure 6 point advantage for us...........GO BUBBA HOG!!
That is the best idea Ive ever heard.

HogTrav21

Quote from: CON HOG WAY on February 06, 2008, 03:26:25 am
Perhaps changing Band Directors would help.

This is the last year Gunter will be in charge of the men's basketball band.  Jeremy Pratchard, the guy in charge of the women's basketball and volleyball band, will be in charge starting next year.  Gunter sent an e-mail to the band members on Monday telling everyone.
Woo Pig Sooie!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HogTrav21 on February 07, 2008, 02:10:36 am
This is the last year Gunter will be in charge of the men's basketball band.  Jeremy Pratchard, the guy in charge of the women's basketball and volleyball band, will be in charge starting next year.  Gunter sent an e-mail to the band members on Monday telling everyone.
What's the story on Pratchard? Is exciting/innovative/etc.?

wholehog92

Quote from: HogTrav21 on February 07, 2008, 02:10:36 am

After reading his response email, I am good with giving another dude the opportunity.  I would love to see Robkin back, but he's probably 80 by now and would have trouble doing some of the stuff he did back then (coeds excepted  8))
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HogTrav21

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2008, 02:55:47 am

Pratchard is the assistant director of bands.  He is a lot younger than Gunter and a lot more laid back.  He knows a lot more about the younger generation that Gunter does and tries to play newer stuff.  However, he does a lot of stuff in Lady Hogwild band that Gunter does in Hogwild band mainly because Gunter is his boss.  I'm not really sure what to expect next year but I'm pretty excited about what will happen.
Woo Pig Sooie!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2008, 02:55:47 am

If he's the guy I'm thinking of, its a lateral move--at best.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?