Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BWA Game Day Experience

Started by TipsterHog, May 01, 2007, 10:27:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TipsterHog

I know a lot of Hogville folks visit our site and may have already seen this, but I just wanted to link over to a series of blog posts we've recently written about improving the game day experience at Bud Walton Arena.

Part I: Stagnation Leads To Apathy - Where We Are Today

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/stagnation-leads-to-apathy/

Part II:  Keeping Up With The Joneses - What Others Are Doing

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/keeping-up-with-the-joneses/

Part III:  The Winds Of Change - Suggestions for Improvement

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/the-winds-of-change/

Like the last post says, if you feel strongly about this like we do, let 'em know!

Tipster

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: TipsterHog on May 01, 2007, 10:27:03 am
I know a lot of Hogville folks visit our site and may have already seen this, but I just wanted to link over to a series of blog posts we've recently written about improving the game day experience at Bud Walton Arena.

Part I: Stagnation Leads To Apathy - Where We Are Today

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/stagnation-leads-to-apathy/

Part II:  Keeping Up With The Joneses - What Others Are Doing

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/keeping-up-with-the-joneses/

Part III:  The Winds Of Change - Suggestions for Improvement

http://www.razorbloggers.net/index.php/2007/04/the-winds-of-change/

Like the last post says, if you feel strongly about this like we do, let 'em know!

Tipster

Excellent TipsterHog!  Great series of articles there.  I'm pumped about next bball season; I just
hope the BWA atmosphere is up to the task.  Hopefully the powers-that-be will listen to some of your
suggestions. Personally, I think a good place to start would be if the hogwild band ever performs that
idiotic 'Who's #1, We're #1!' song again, it would actually mean something (let's start with actually being ranked in the Top 25 before we sing that song again).  Also, I'd love it if they'd bring the '94 team (including Nolan) back for a
halftime reunion; sort of channel a renewal of the spirit of what once was...
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

blueshog2001

I would love to see these upgrades added to BWA. We are completely outdated.  I hate to say this but it kills me to watch on TV at other arenas when the student section surrounds the court.  But at BWA you have life long donors who just sit there.  The student section at UofA could be a force to be reckoned with, if the PTB would allow them the seating.

TorsinAHog

We have been talking about changing student section seating since I was a student 1991-1995.  It still hasnt happened and likely wont.  Heck at least we filled the student section with STUDENTS. Its seems the student section is now smaller and not always full.  Granted I was there during the glory days of NR.  Nothing compares to Barnhill. I still miss that place!
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

cowboym

Quote from: blueshog2001 on May 01, 2007, 12:21:08 pm
I would love to see these upgrades added to BWA. We are completely outdated.  I hate to say this but it kills me to watch on TV at other arenas when the student section surrounds the court.  But at BWA you have life long donors who just sit there.  The student section at UofA could be a force to be reckoned with, if the PTB would allow them the seating.

The students have become apathetic like the rest of us.  They have not been good fans in the last 4 or 5 years.  I sit directly behind the students and in 1994-1997 it was so loud that I could not talk to someone when we were cheering, now, it's no problem and we just talk about how loud it used to be.  I do not understand why the students do not sit directly behind the goal and get to do some of thecool stuff like the Dookies do.  JMHO.
Cowboy M

razorhead94

I agree as far as moving the student section...got to get them more involved.  As far as playing the music, I'll agree with a little bit of it, but I think we still need the pep band to play a lot...that is part of the arkansas basketball tradition, having one of the best pep bands in the nation.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hogfan3414

All good ideas but your music selection seems a smidge off for a basketball game, especially for attracting 17-18 year old recruits.  U2, Brian Adams, and Puddle of Mud might not do it.  I think more rap/hip hop would be about right.

hawgwild1087

May 03, 2007, 01:09:01 pm #7 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:15:30 pm by hawgwild1087
Great articles.  I agree...its time for a change.
It was even obvious when I went to the SEC Tournament this year.  EVERY other team had music that really pumped you up, band renditions of popular songs, etc.  Seemed like every other team had an endless repertoire of cheers, songs, etc.  We, on the other hand, played the same friggin 6-7 songs the entire time...William Tell, Hey Baby, Rock and Roll, The Fight Song.  (As much as I like the fight song, theres no reason to play it 10+ times a game.)  Our team had the most bored looking band/cheer squad by far...I dont mean this as a knock on the members themselves, just the material. How long has it been since we've added a new song??
I agree with you on the banners...the ones for just making the NCAA make it seem like we're desperate to fill up the arena with banners, and the 5 Championship ones are a little over the top.
And whatever happens, we need to get rid of the "Whos She", "Nice Hair", etc. chants when the other team is introduced.  Its getting really old.

Dr Swineglove

we need to get rid of the "Whos She", "Nice Hair", etc. chants when the other team is introduced.  Its getting really old.
[/quote]

Amen; they seriously need to ditch that.  It reminds me of a knock-knock joke or 'why did the chicken cross the road?'  If we put some actual thought into the canned insulted, we could do something clever.  Like the Cameron Crazies; they do their homework.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Smithian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqR0BHHvxNc

That would be a great song around the starting lineups. Maybe show it while showing highlights of 40 Minutes of Hell on the screen.

razorhead94

Yeah i think they should play clips from past games like they do before the team runs out at the football games...just think seeing Reid's half court shot, the triplets, something on mayberry and day, and then show scotty's 3 with the lights off and music blaring....that would get everybody pumped!  Gets me pumped just thinkin about it  :razorback:
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Grumpy Old Main

Especially for the pre-SEC games, they need to have a deal where you can get $10 (5$ child) general admission tickets or something.  There are people, especially kids, around who'd love to go to a game but aren't hooked up with free tickets and don't want to pay $20 a ticket to see Missouri - Kansas City.  Have promotions to bring more kids in. 

Right now the attendance is based on how many older people with season tickets will make the trip from Little Rock to see a game.  Come up with promotions to get the kids and casual fans in.

Ross U (HDHF)

I mentioned this in the comments of Part III but I think it bears repeating:

BRING BACK THE FREAKING DECIBEL METER!!!!!!!

:D

slopinhogs

lets rejuvinate the hogwild ban and get a director that is crazy and runs aound they gym and stadiun and leads them .jumps up and down and excites the crowd. we had that once but it slipped away. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Smithian

Had to revive this thread...

I know any idea put goes against the idea of the university's boring as shiite pre-game atmosphere, but it is fun to post these.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O12wQaMY4dU

If we were willing to play some different audio before the lineups, then the speaking of that song from about the :15 second mark to about the :35 second mark or so would be awesome to play before introducing the players. It would be an awesome song for all of the lineups, but the cursing gets a bit bad after the first part.

It would go like this, "Now, everyone, for your ARKANSAS RAZORBACK starting lineups," the song segment starts, then after it finishes, "starting at point guard..." and so on.

It would be really exciting if we broke something out at the Texas game. Homecourt advantage is something we don't take advantage of.

I remember last night during the Cavs-Pistons there was Star Wars music and on the board there was that scrolling letters like all the Star Wars movies talking about the Cavs. If we were smart, we'd have our marketing department go up there and sit in on games. We might just need to hire the announcer. He is the best PA announcer I've ever heard. One time they were playing the Heat and as they were coming out of a timeout, he did the routine and the crowd was still silent. He actually said, "Comeon, it can get louder than THAT!"

Our PA announcer actually sounds bored during the "Who's number 1?" thing.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Smithian on May 30, 2007, 11:17:28 am

Our PA announcer actually sounds bored during the "Who's number 1?" thing.

It's actually a cheerleader, but indeed he sounds bored.

The Boar War

It's sad that the basketball atmosphere has lost a lot of it's former glory.  I think it will be a little better next year even if no changes are made.  Think of the excitement on the message boards.  Was anyone even talking about arkansas bball this time last year?  Having a new coach can do that for you; especially if things pan out. 

1).  I believe that the student section should encircle the court.  Of course this would upset some of the big time donors and long time ticket holders.  Maybe a better atmosphere and subsequent better teams would suffice their being pushed back a few rows.

2) We need a new cheer coordinator and band director.  I really wish it didn't have to come down to someone being fired (or let go) but the product has definitly downgraded.  We need to do a nationwide search (yet again) for a top notch band director.  We might not be able to hire away someone at a Kentucky or UNC but I'm sure that there are extremely excitable candidates at smaller schools.  As far as the cheers go.  I went to my first basketball game in 2002.  We are still doing the same things.  I think that speaks for itself.  We have to change with the times while still keeping some of the classics.

3)  As the article mentioned we really need to take advantage of our heritage.  Ron and Ronnie Brewer, Marvin Delph, Sydney Moncrief, Joe Kliene, Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman, Corey Beck, Kareem Reid, Pat Bradley, Joe Johnson, Jenniro Pargo, Eddie Sutton, and (gulp) Nolan Richardson could all be honored at one time or another during a halftime with their highlights being shown on a big screen.

Sorry that was a little long but there are a lot of things that can be improved upon.  I love the Razorbacks and wish we could get back to a Barnhill type of atmosphere.  Increase the atmosphere and fans will come.  Increase the fans and the good players will come.  Improve the quality of the players and the wins will come.     

Smithian

People keep saying, "Student section needs to encircle the court."

They would be two rows deep around the entire court. There is about two dozen people in our student section it seems like sometimes at BBall games. The football game student section is... Acceptable.

When Game 6 of the Cavs-Pistons roll around, you must watch it. Their announcer gets the crowd involved.

The Boar War

With all the talk about the Bud Walton Game Day experience I thought it would be good to look at this post from the archives.  There are a lot of good points on this topic.

ontop

"Personally, I stand up when the game is exciting and there is energy in the arena."
from HJHOg, 2nd comment on Stagnation

That is why BWA is not what it used to be.  Everyone waits for something to cheer about.  Get up and get loud from the opening tip!  Make your own energy
The View on Top

jst01

Agree.  I know every fan realizes that while there are 19,000 screaming fans going crazy yelling, our team plays with a little more energy and effort and the opponents play more confused and with less focus.  It seems that EVERY fan would want to be there, going crazy just to help the Hogs get that edge.  There is nothing more exciting than that moment when the other coach HAS to call a time-out after a dunk or clutch 3 because the sound is so deafening in BWA. 

NuttinItUp

Lots of great suggestions. Hopefully the administration reads these articles. Who should we email them to to get them read? If enough people email maybe they will actually read them.

NuttinItUp

Maybe Jeff Long can get some of these changes instituted. He seems like someone not afraid of change.

booogaga

i agree with all of those articles but it seems like the right people will never read them. they also need to update the photos on the walls and the museum in the basement.
GO HOGS!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: booogaga on February 01, 2008, 01:46:55 pm
i agree with all of those articles but it seems like the right people will never read them. they also need to update the photos on the walls and the museum in the basement.
I concur. How do we get this to the right people?

arkjay19

Dang, that honestly makes me sad to know that we are that far behind.  Now I have to go to the Florida game today and try to keep up my level of excitement knowing how much better other programs are at creating a great atmosphere for its players and fans.

TimHog

offering more than one portable atm machine would be a great place to start.

Pigonometry

Just find us a younger version of Jim Robkin!
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

HawgNthaWater

I am glad to see that someone has done some work researching this. I have been preaching this for years and I am more than willing to do my part to help get this accomplished. I love going to NBA games because they are so entertaining and BWA would be unbelievable if some of these changes were to occur
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

HatfieldHawg

Its incredibly boring during timeouts and before the game.  Remember when they first came up with the inflatable hog back in 2000 or so?  Seems like that was the last time they came up with anything new.  If you have been to one game you have been to them all.  Same songs same cheers.  It would be nice to experience something unique at BWA. 

hogblade

actually this year, the songs have been changed up quite a bit for the first time in forever.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HatfieldHawg on February 03, 2008, 01:01:28 am
Its incredibly boring during timeouts and before the game.  Remember when they first came up with the inflatable hog back in 2000 or so?  Seems like that was the last time they came up with anything new.  If you have been to one game you have been to them all.  Same songs same cheers.  It would be nice to experience something unique at BWA. 
It does seem like its been awhile. I'm just hoping Long has the balls to make the needed changes.

PeytonManningSUCKS

I'm gonna try to make it back for the Vandy game.  I bet there is a  pretty good crowd this saturday.