Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Horton's job at Air Force makes him a perfect fit for the Hog program

Started by silvertip, July 19, 2007, 11:35:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

Horton's stats over 7 years at Air Force indicate that not only is he a perfect fit for HDN's staff, but he is just the kind of coach that Frank Broyles would love to make the next Hog's Head Coach, if HDN decides to leave.

Here's the stats for the offenses at Air Force, while Horton coached there:

Year.....Run Rank....Pass Rank
1999.......2nd...........109th...... Horton coaching WRs
2000.......3rd.............98th......   "         "          "
2001.......3rd............113th......   "         "          "
2002.......1st............116th......   "         "          "
2003.......4th............115th......   "         "          "
2004.......4th............108th......   "         "          "
2005.......8th............. 99th...... Horton coaching RBs

From his tenure at Air Force as WR coach, it is obvious that coach Horton is content in a program where the passing game is irrelevant. No doubt he can assist coach Shibest in turning Hog WRs into tools of the running game.

Add to that his sterling record with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and his history as an ex-Hog player, and what we have here is another sterling
example of the young up-and-comer that Frank Broyles loves to hire to be the next Hog Head Coach.  WPS!! 

Oklahawg

Care to discuss the difference in Air Force and a public school in the SEC?

While I can appreciate your angst over this I think the concerns over Horton border on conspiracy theory. Be pleased we wound up with a replacement for Danny this late in the game who (a) has quite a bit of D1 experience and (b) actually has experience coaching RBs.

We could have wound up with an NAIA OC or, gulp, Cliff Ealy. Yes, yes, maybe I'm setting the bar too low.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: silvertip on July 19, 2007, 11:35:55 pm
Horton's stats over 7 years at Air Force indicate that not only is he a perfect fit for HDN's staff, but he is just the kind of coach that Frank Broyles would love to make the next Hog's Head Coach, if HDN decides to leave.

From his tenure at Air Force as WR coach, it is obvious that coach Horton is content in a program where the passing game is irrelevant. No doubt he can assist coach Shibest in turning Hog WRs into tools of the running game.

Add to that his sterling record with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and his history as an ex-Hog player, and what we have here is another sterling
example of the young up-and-comer that Frank Broyles loves to hire to be the next Hog Head Coach.  WPS!! 

Great guy, but he wants to run the option dude... Not going to happen in the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!  Go outside the box for a NEW AD and NEW Head Coach.. That is the only way to make the U of A contenders in all sports except for Baseball and Track, they already have coaches that do it their way and in turn WIN... Good ole boy boosters and etc. only get you a 8 or 9 win seasons every 5 years or so...

Hogphilia

Well, you are right.  Not hard to see through this.  Let's see, we force out a progressive hurry up offensive guru and offensive coordinator of the year (Malzahn) for a former OC for WISBONE / FLEXBONE Rice University (Who worked his way up to film man for the Dallas Cowboys).  And he also is a 3 time re-tread for the Razorbacks.

Then we hire a RB coach a RB coach for WISHBONE / FLEXBONE Airforce Academy.  Everybody ready to go back to the early 80's WISBONE-type offensive scheme (or basically the same old Nutt offense of 4-7 and 5-6)?

UAfan

Its amazing that you can completely turn this around into a negative subject.  We are talking about the AFA tell me the last time they were ranked in the top 50 in passing.  I'm sure its been a pretty long time if ever.  They are known for the option and I'm sure Horton used the athletes he had and made the most out of that offense.  He's not the OC just the RB's coach and for you to think that this is a conspiracy theory is absolutely ludicrous.  Get your head out of you arse and start enjoying Razorback football.

Hogphilia

Quote from: UAfan on July 20, 2007, 06:55:15 am

2000.......3rd.............98th......   "         "          "
2001.......3rd............113th......   "         "          "
2002.......1st............116th......   "         "          "
2003.......4th............115th......   "         "          "
2004.......4th............108th......   "         "          "

Its amazing that you can completely turn this around into a negative subject.  We are talking about the AFA tell me the last time they were ranked in the top 50 in passing.  I'm sure its been a pretty long time if ever.  They are known for the option and I'm sure Horton used the athletes he had and made the most out of that offense.  He's not the OC just the RB's coach and for you to think that this is a conspiracy theory is absolutely ludicrous.  Get your head out of you arse and start enjoying Razorback football.

Sorry, will never forget what Dale (the Christian) has done to coaches, players, and fans.  And will Never enjoy Razorback football again until the muck and slime of Dale is gone!

dfresh

Quote from: Hogphilia on July 20, 2007, 06:59:22 am

Sorry, will never forget what Dale (the Christian) has done to coaches, players, and fans.  And will Never enjoy Razorback football again until the muck and slime of Dale is gone!

Is it Christian to question someones Christianity?

pneaville

i understand the angst here---but i mean come on he is the RB coach, and he was O Coordinator in a heavily run-based offense....it seems like a good fit to me.  and here at UA he is going to have more weapons than he has ever had to coach with.

Now, that being said, i totally understand everyone's complaints that here we go again, good ole boy with ties to Broyles/Hatfield era and why don't we ever go outside the box, but in this case, i think the shoe actually fits.  I don't like HDN either, but in this instance I think it was an OK hire...

Now let the firing squad commence....

God is a Razorback

Eric Cartman

Quote from: dfresh on July 20, 2007, 07:07:28 am
Quote from: Hogphilia on July 20, 2007, 06:59:22 am

Is it Christian to question someones Christianity?

whats the deal with questioning Coach Nutt's Christianity?

"You're breaking my balls."   "Wuteva, I do what I want!"   "Sweeeeeet!"   "Lame"   "Weak"
"You guys, You guys!" (Excited by something he has found) "I will kick you squah in the nuts!"

WilsonHog

What has Tim Horton done to deserve all the acrimony from Razorback fans?

Let's see...

(1) He played for the Razorbacks as a wide receiver and punt returner, and was one of the players who got the absolute most out of his ability.

(2) He put in his years coaching at a very good Appalachian State program, at Air Force, and at Kansas State.

(3) He left a position as OC at Air Force to coach running backs for us because he wanted to return home.

(4) He's active in FCA.

(5) By all accounts he is an outstanding young man.

Hmmm....oh yeah, this guy sure sounds like a snake. I say we make his life hell.   

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 07:47:20 am

Let's see...

(1) He played for the Razorbacks as a wide receiver and punt returner, and was one of the players who got the absolute most out of his ability.

(2) He put in his years coaching at a very good Appalachian State program, at Air Force, and at Kansas State.

(3) He left a position as OC at Air Force to coach running backs for us because he wanted to return home.

(4) He's active in FCA.

Hmmm....oh yeah, this guy sure sounds like a snake. I say we make his life hell.   

Some people would find fault with this no matter who was hired.
It's two freaking weeks before players report for practice.

We are tremendously lucky to get Horton IMO.

Hogchick

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Seriously, I just don't get it.  Why do some people have to hate every coach we have. 

My goodness people.....

WilsonHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 20, 2007, 07:52:16 am

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Agreed.

BTW, let's suppose that Nutt had left last December and that whoever the new coach was had hired Tim as running backs coach - fans would be welcoming Horton with open arms.

But apparently because he's now associated with Houston Nutt, the guy is a bum.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

pneaville

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Amen brother.  +1
God is a Razorback

hopefullyapathetic

Sorry folks, just can't get excited about a RB coach from AIR Force who likes the option.  Probably a great guy but it makes you wonder if his connections got him the job instead of his credentials.  To the cynics among us it looks the same old song, make a hire that shows personal loyalty rather than doing what is best for the institution.  Hope I'm wrong.

Landonhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 07:56:14 am

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Agreed.

BTW, let's suppose that Nutt had left last December and that whoever the new coach was had hired Tim as running backs coach - fans would be welcoming Horton with open arms.

Yep...   I feel sorry for Tim.  He'll be guilty until proven innocent.  Good luck with that.

I can't imagine getting anything better, at this point in time...  He sounds like a stand-up guy, and he's a former Hog.  I'm all for it...

Landonhog

Does the avid or casual fan agree with your opinion?  Only one way to find out! 

I'll be happy to chip in.......   ;)

Choctaw Hog

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Because Tim is considered to be part of "good ole boy network".  Unfortunately, that's where Frank, Nutt and others have taken our program and that's the way it will be until ALL the rot is cleansed.

pignation

Silvertip, a team running the option knows that the key to getting the longest runs always come from a wide receiver getting blocks.  Since the Air Force is an option running team and have been for quite awhile, then you can actually find out more about how well they run by how their wide receivers block...not whether they caught more passes or not. 

Your argument works totally against you.  When he coached the wide receivers (the key to springing long runs), they were the best.  When he coached the backs, they weren't as good, although 8th isn't shabby.  This means the WR coach wasn't doing as well with his wide receivers.

You have to grade the offense on what it designed to do, not on what it isn't trying to do.  They are an option team.  If the WR doesn't get its block, they have good runs, but not great runs.  If the WR gets its block, then it usually leads to big runs.  An option team uses the pass only when the db's and safeties are crashing in and not staying in their assignments.

WilsonHog

Tell you what. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this stuff with 'ol Tim.

I've got a little time on my hands this afternoon. I'm gonna do a poll. We'll see what Crackhead Joe, Mamie Rottencrotch, and Toonces the Cat have to say on the subject.

Visa and Mastercard is accepted.

GBPackerFan

Quote from: Eric Sullivan on July 20, 2007, 03:30:21 am

Great guy, but he wants to run the option dude... Not going to happen in the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!  Go outside the box for a NEW AD and NEW Head Coach.. That is the only way to make the U of A contenders in all sports except for Baseball and Track, they already have coaches that do it their way and in turn WIN... Good ole boy boosters and etc. only get you a 8 or 9 win seasons every 5 years or so...
Well, lets see...that is what we always ran with Matt Jones, and that worked out pretty well for us.  Not to mention that the Wildcat is basically a very fancy version of an option play.  So, it just might work in the SEC.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: pignation on July 20, 2007, 08:22:21 am

Silvertip, a team running the option knows that the key to getting the longest runs always come from a wide receiver getting blocks.  Since the Air Force is an option running team and have been for quite awhile, then you can actually find out more about how well they run by how their wide receivers block...not whether they caught more passes or not. 

Your argument works totally against you.  When he coached the wide receivers (the key to springing long runs), they were the best.  When he coached the backs, they weren't as good, although 8th isn't shabby.  This means the WR coach wasn't doing as well with his wide receivers.

You have to grade the offense on what it designed to do, not on what it isn't trying to do.  They are an option team.  If the WR doesn't get its block, they have good runs, but not great runs.  If the WR gets its block, then it usually leads to big runs.  An option team uses the pass only when the db's and safeties are crashing in and not staying in their assignments.

Just because you can block downfield, although that's a very important aspect of the position, doesn't make you a good "receiver".  It makes you a good blocker.  In it's purest sense, a receiver is one who receives.  What are "receivers" receiving if passes are never thrown to them?  Much like our "receivers" and tight ends I might add, they are nothing more than blockers playing a position that is eligible to receive the forward pass. 

UAfan

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

It doesn't matter to them Wilson Hog.  It is sad that people are too blinded by HDN's antics to enjoy the success of last year's success and this years potential.  As for me I'm not going to let him ruin the enjoyment that comes along with Razorback football.  Especially with this years potential.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think if Danny would have resigned in January and we took 3 months to find a coach and then said Tim Horton is the best we could find, then maybe, we could look at the hire more critically and debate the merits.  There would be nothing wrong with that in that situation.

In the situation the UofA was currently faced with 2 to 3 weeks before fall practice this is the best we could probably hope for under any coaching regime.

Am I saying I am thrilled with this hire?  No.
But still it's probably the least disruptive and best fit we could find AT THIS TIME.  And there are guys that some would consider true HDN cronies that could have gotten the job.

This is one dead horse that doesn't deserve beating. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TheHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 07:56:14 am

Let's see...

(4) He's active in FCA.

Agreed.

Extremely sad, but true.

silvertip

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 19, 2007, 11:47:27 pm
Care to discuss the difference in Air Force and a public school in the SEC?

While I can appreciate your angst over this I think the concerns over Horton border on conspiracy theory. Be pleased we wound up with a replacement for Danny this late in the game who (a) has quite a bit of D1 experience and (b) actually has experience coaching RBs.

We could have wound up with an NAIA OC or, gulp, Cliff Ealy. Yes, yes, maybe I'm setting the bar too low.

I caint even spell ankst. But asking me to be pleased with getting Horton is like asking me to be pleased with the offense espoused by JFB, HDN, and Hatfield.

The pattern is too clear. If JFB gets to choose the next Hog HC---look for more of the same lame offense we've suffered thru for decades. And
the split in the fanbase will continue.

strawhog

Its hires like this why the Razorbacks will never be anything more than the whipping boy for the majority of the SEC.

silvertip

I'll try to type slow. And use simple words. So you can keep up.

Horton, a WR coach, was content to coach FOR YEARS at a school where passing is irrelevant (look it up).

He started 3 years at WR under Hatfield, whose passing game was irrelevant. He had 49 receptions in his CAREER. Which is a good season in a real offense.

It is obvious that Horton is comfortable in an offense where the passing game is irrelevant. So, he's coming home.

The question, now see if you can FOCUS for a few more seconds, " Do you want another head coach like that?"

Ok, you can go take your nap now. I know it was hard.

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 08:23:31 am
Tell you what. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this stuff with 'ol Tim.

I've got a little time on my hands this afternoon. I'm gonna do a poll. We'll see what Crackhead Joe, Mamie Rottencrotch, and Toonces the Cat have to say on the subject.

Visa and Mastercard is accepted.

Well, really Wilson, for your poll to be meaningful---you can't just ask your friends.

silvertip

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 20, 2007, 08:52:13 am
I think if Danny would have resigned in January and we took 3 months to find a coach and then said Tim Horton is the best we could find, then maybe, we could look at the hire more critically and debate the merits.  There would be nothing wrong with that in that situation.

In the situation the UofA was currently faced with 2 to 3 weeks before fall practice this is the best we could probably hope for under any coaching regime.

But still it's probably the least disruptive and best fit we could find AT THIS TIME.  And there are guys that some would consider true HDN cronies that could have gotten the job.

Really Dwight, it is discouraging that I can't even get a bright guy like you to focus on the topic.

Which is---Horton is the type of coach that JFB would love to hire when HDN leaves. A coach who is very content in programs that don't pass the ball. And of course, a Fine Christian Gentleman with family ties to the program. Don't you love it?

LordStanleysHog

Let it go... it's very freeing... it's beautiful outside, go get some fresh air, have a picnic.

Hawg Daddy Cool

So you are trying to say that Tim Horton turned the Air Force Academy into a running team by himself?  Air Force was running that offense a long time before Horton ever got there, and a position coach doesn't determine the direction of the offense.  

What you fail to mention in your analysis is when he was made the offensive coordinator, he started prepping the team to run an option spread offense, the same kind of offense that Urban Meyer wants to run at Florida, and Rodriquez runs at West Virginia.  But then again, what do those guys know about running an offense?

Conway Cool Daddy

Ok Silvertip, you have two weeks until practice starts. Who would you have hired?

Realistically.

???

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: silvertip on July 20, 2007, 09:18:10 am

Really Dwight, it is discouraging that I can't even get a bright guy like you to focus on the topic.

Which is---Horton is the type of coach that JFB would love to hire when HDN leaves. A coach who is very content in programs that don't pass the ball. And of course, a Fine Christian Gentleman with family ties to the program. Don't you love it?

I won't argue that point.  I just think purely on the merits of finding a RB coach at this time of the year that this hire is no different than anyone else we could have brought in and for this year and this year only to fill the void his Ark ties and familiarity will be a positive not a negative.

And like I said we could have done much worse, so I'm ok with it for this upcoming season, because we are stuck with Precious anyway.  Hopefully everything will change in about 6 months. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

silvertip

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 20, 2007, 09:21:50 am
Ok Silvertip, you have two weeks until practice starts. Who would you have hired?

Realistically.

???

I already told you. Horton is the perfect fit for Frank's program. And make no mistake, it's FRANK'S program, not HDN's.

silvertip

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 20, 2007, 09:29:09 am

I won't argue that point.  I just think purely on the merits of finding a RB coach at this time of the year that this hire is no different than anyone else we could have brought in and for this year and this year only to fill the void his Ark ties and familiarity will be a positive not a negative.

And like I said we could have done much worse, so I'm ok with it for this upcoming season, because we are stuck with Precious anyway.  Hopefully everything will change in about 6 months. 

Look at the entire situation, and I have no doubt that Horton is a threat to be Frank's next HC or OC. That's the problem I have with it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: silvertip on July 20, 2007, 09:35:25 am
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 20, 2007, 09:29:09 am

Look at the entire situation, and I have no doubt that Horton is a threat to be Frank's next HC or OC. That's the problem I have with it.

Never gonna happen. Exhibit "A" - Jack Crowe.

RoBoHawg04

Two words "Spread option" it is the immediate future of college football, it adds an  extra dimension to an off. set rather than 4 or 5 receiver sets, that can be defeated by disrupting the timing of the play
" Be sure that your right, then go ahead " DC

hogsanity

Last time I checked, wich was about 1 minute ago, Horton was hired to coach Rb's.  I have not seen anywhere that he is the OC, or the WR coach, or the QB coach, or will have much input into the game plan.  I will say, that with DMAc and FJ, and Hillis, and Smith, that they RB coach should have at least a little game input. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

catfish07

Where do people come up with this stuff? Pass the peyote.

Let's not worry about who our mythical next coach will be, let's talk about the good things for the program.  :razorback:
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

bphi11ips

I for one believe Tim Horton to be a good fit and have no reason to believe he is being groomed as the next head coach.  I also don't see all the acrimony many of you do, although I don't live in Arkansas, so I can't hang out at the water cooler there.

My personal belief is this was a done deal that has been in the works for months.  This is a face saving deal for Danny Nutt and the administration.  One that cannot be politically attacked from any angle.  I wish Danny and his family the very best.  He is really a good guy who made a monumental error in judgement attempting to defend and avenge his big brother.  It ultimately cost him his job as it should have.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BrooklynRoss

Should we just go ahead and take the face masks off the helmets? Start practising the drop-kick? Maybe we can replace the electric lights in the stadium with gas lamps. Ugh, now I'm going to have to learn to run the wishbone in NCAA '09.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Happy Hogger

To those who are complaining about Horton as running backs coach--has it ever occurred to you, that since his job is to enhance the running game that it makes complete sense to hire someone who comes from a strong running game background?  Your concern would appear more relevant if Horton were hired to be Receiver coach or Offensive Coordinator. Isn't it a bit unfair to castigate Horton's background at Air Force, when the offensive philosophy was more likely determined/influenced by the Head Coach and/or the Offensive Coordinator, just like it will likely be at Arkansas.  Until he is either a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator, we do not know his true preference or leanings, style wise.

Boner

1.  He's the running backs coach, and only the running backs coach.  Is it really that awful that he came from a program that ran the ball alot?

2.  He wasn't the OC at Air Force.  He coached his players to fit the offense that the OC determined.

3.  When he was hired as OC, he was going to implemement his own philosophies as he was then in charge.  According him (and the poster Matt Jones), this is the offense he wanted to run:

He said Air Force was going to run an offense this season similar to that of Wake Forest last year. He said the offense was very spread out with a lot of shotgun formations. Horton said the offense he worked in at Kansas State was very similar to the offense Lee is implementing from his time with the Cowboys.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=143790.0

So from a philosophy standpoint, he obviously doesn't prefer to run the option, and ignore the pass.  Unless you want to call Horton a liar - which I'm sure many will do.  He did what he had to do as an employee.  That's what position coaches do.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 20, 2007, 09:56:18 am
I for one believe Tim Horton to be a good fit and have no reason to believe he is being groomed as the next head coach.  I also don't see all the acrimony many of you do, although I don't live in Arkansas, so I can't hang out at the water cooler there.

My personal belief is this was a done deal that has been in the works for months.  This is a face saving deal for Danny Nutt and the administration.  One that cannot be politically attacked from any angle.  I wish Danny and his family the very best.  He is really a good guy who made a monumental error in judgement attempting to defend and avenge his big brother.  It ultimately cost him his job as it should have.

I agree that this has been in the works for months and the only reason that it was announced so close to the beginning of the season is to use the "who else could we get this close to the season" excuse.  Looks like it worked like a charm based on all the posts echoing that sentiment.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Happy Hogger on July 20, 2007, 10:24:37 am
To those who are complaining about Horton as running backs coach--has it ever occurred to you, that since his job is to enhance the running game that it makes complete sense to hire someone who comes from a strong running game background?  Your concern would appear more relevant if Horton were hired to be Receiver coach or Offensive Coordinator. Isn't it a bit unfair to castigate Horton's background at Air Force, when the offensive philosophy was more likely determined/influenced by the Head Coach and/or the Offensive Coordinator, just like it will likely be at Arkansas.  Until he is either a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator, we do not know his true preference or leanings, style wise.

What makes sense to me is that Nutt and his hires, excluding the forced hire of Gus, has given the Razorbacks a .500 SEC record, Zero BCS Bowls, Zero SEC Championships, an abysmal bowl record, off season termoil and embarrassment, etc.  I'm not saying that Tim should or shouldn't have been hired but I am saying that anytime we hire somebody from the "god ole boy network" it give me pause for concern.  What is it that makes you think that any decision Nutt makes will be good for the program?     

Boner

Also, for those that care Kansas State, though ranked 85th nationally in total offense, had a very balanced offense.

Approximately 53% of their offensive plays were passes, with 47% being running plays.

And 63% of their total offense came in the air, compared to 37% on the ground.

They had two straight losing seasons in '04 and '05, and a new staff in '06.

oldbear

After attending the Saline County Razorback Club meeting last night and listening to David Lee talk about Tim Horton, I looked something up this morning.  Those that say that Tim is not well rounded enough to help need to check some things.  Yes, Tim did play under Hatfield and Coach under Fisher Deberry for a long time.  However, as stated above, he worked at Kansas State under a very balanced offense and was well thought of enough by the new coach at Air Force, who came to Air Force after being an assistant at Denver and the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans, to be made the offensive coordinator at AFA. 

Tim is a great young man.  He has been a very organized person since he was a kid, and was taught his work ethic by a coach that expected his assistants to be at work at about 5 a.m. and leave sometime after dark.  Give him a chance and you will be very satisfied if not delighted by his work.

By the way, Rob Evans also spoke last night.  I could have listened to him for an hour and a half.  He was great.  I can definitely see him going into a living room and parents telling their kids that they were going to let them go play for this man.  Heck, I wanted to go play for him after hearing him last night and I wasn't a basketball player when I was a kid and played basketball.

Happy Hogger

Choctaw, to help me understand, what constitutes a "good ole boy" as you put it?  What prior connection to Nutt does he have?  It appears his stronger connection is to Hatfield who appeared to help open doors for him.  Yes he has a strong Arkansas connection and through his family even a possible connection to Frank.  I don't know if he will be a great addition or not, but it seems there is a lot of rushing to judgement on what his contribution or value to the staff will be.