Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horton Press Conference Quotes and Notes

Started by Matt Jones, July 18, 2007, 03:30:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Jones

Some of the highlights of the presser:

"To come at this time of year and under these circumstances is less than ideal," Horton said.

Horton said that he is here because it was the right move for his family. He was contacted over the weekend by Houston Nutt when Danny said he might not return. Horton was actually on vacation and was driving to Fayetteville when Nutt contacted him.

Horton said he has big shoes to fill and hopes to meet with the players today. He is apprehensive about leaving the OC job at Air Force, but reiterated the move is more about family than his professional career. Horton said he hasn't been to a Razorback game since his senior year in 1989.

Horton said he is concerned about stepping in late. He said he was given a playbook a few days ago and has been "cramming." He said Air Force was going to run an offense this season similar to that of Wake Forest last year. He said the offense was very spread out with a lot of shotgun formations. Horton said the offense he worked in at Kansas State was very similar to the offense Lee is implementing from his time with the Cowboys.

Horton will take over Danny's recruiting area, which is Central Arkansas, East Arkansas and Memphis. Horton said he wants to help "build a fence around the state, better than has been done in the past."

Horton said he wants to implement ideas into the offense as the season progresses. He said he is excited to be the running backs coach and said he wants to take the backs to a level they can't get to by themselves.

Houston also commented about Danny. He said Danny is on his way to Little Rock right now and will meet with the doctors tomorrow.

Horton seemed like a real stand-up guy and is obviously stepping into a dream job coaching the Razorbacks. He made the comment that he wouldn't have left Air Force if the Pittsburgh Steelers were calling with a running backs coach opening. He said it was only because of his love for Arkansas.

go hogues

Quote from: Matt Jones on July 18, 2007, 03:30:40 pm

... and is obviously stepping into a dream job coaching the Razorbacks. He made the comment that he wouldn't have left Air Force if the Pittsburgh Steelers were calling with a running backs coach opening. He said it was only because of his love for Arkansas.
Yet he has not been to a game since 1989?!?
That's not a shot against him, that's just hard to believe, given his love for the state and his dad's position in the RF. 
I hope he can help land us some recruits.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Matt Jones

Quote from: go hogues on July 18, 2007, 03:39:13 pm

... and is obviously stepping into a dream job coaching the Razorbacks. He made the comment that he wouldn't have left Air Force if the Pittsburgh Steelers were calling with a running backs coach opening. He said it was only because of his love for Arkansas.
That's not a shot against him, that's just hard to believe, given his love for the state and his dad's position in the RF. 

He became a graduate assistant the year after he left Arkansas and has been coaching elsewhere since.

rljjr

hogtheznutts

Dang man he's been coaching.  Not hard to believe at all?

oldbear

Tim is the type that will have given everything he had to the program he is working for.  He was an extremely undersized wideout for Arkansas and yet was very successful.  I am telling you this will have been a very good hire.  If he has half his dad's work ethic it will be great. 

D-Maczone

Quote from: hogtheznutts on July 18, 2007, 03:44:38 pm

WOW!!! Doesn't take much for people to take a shot.  One question.  Why don't we give the guy a chance before we start to belittle him?

Oklahawg

I am thrilled at this hire. Given the circumstances and timing its a great pick-up. Obviously, this is not something that just popped up in the Nutt's life yesterday, as it appears they were preparing for a smooth and quick transition for some time.

Maybe, if we're lucky, we get the younger assistant who is hungry on the recruiting trail.

Again, I am saddened by Danny's health situation but pleased that we've added a quality coach in Tim Horton.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The Marmot

July 18, 2007, 03:52:08 pm #8 Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:53:47 pm by The Marmot

Horton will take over Danny's recruiting area, which is Central Arkansas, East Arkansas and Memphis. Horton said he wants to help "build a fence around the state, better than has been done in the past."

Hmmmmmm... Hope Houston didn't hear that quote.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hawgballz

I take it that you didn't know he was a football coach and it is hard for him to take time off during the season to go watch someone else play.  Good grief man, give it a break.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Melhog

Horton said he wants to help "build a fence around the state, better than has been done in the past."

That shouldn't be too difficult to do.  At least Tim Horton is a name that is known and trusted around the State. Hope he does well.

go hogues

Quote from: D-Maczone on July 18, 2007, 03:50:43 pm

WOW!!! Doesn't take much for people to take a shot.  One question.  Why don't we give the guy a chance before we start to belittle him?
If that comment was for me, I am not belittling him at all.  I think it was a great hire.  I just think it is crazy that he has not been to game since 1989.  It's just hard to believe, that's all.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

D-Maczone

Quote from: go hogues on July 18, 2007, 03:54:31 pm

If that comment was for me, I am not belittling him at all.  I think it was a great hire.  I just think it is crazy that he has not been to game since 1989.  It's just hard to believe, that's all.

Why is it hard to believe?  He's been in coaching since he left.  Most college games are played on Saturday.  Hard to be two places at once.

pignation

let me help out with this.  he was working on the same saturdays that we were playing as well.  his football games were on the same saturdays and any saturdays he had "off" were in preparation for the following saturday or he was recruiting.  maybe the better question would be, "Have you kept up with Arkansas football?"  The obvious answer would be "Yes.  I jumped at the chance to come and do this...didn't even have to think about it."

D-Maczone

Quote from: pignation on July 18, 2007, 03:57:34 pm

let me help out with this.  he was working on the same saturdays that we were playing as well.  his football games were on the same saturdays and any saturdays he had "off" were in preparation for the following saturday or he was recruiting.  maybe the better question would be, "Have you kept up with Arkansas football?"  The obvious answer would be "Yes.  I jumped at the chance to come and do this...didn't even have to think about it."

Well put....

Hawgwild8988

please PLEASE PLEASE take over the special teams as well  :razorback:

go hogues

Quote from: donewithdale on July 18, 2007, 03:57:30 pm
Quote from: D-Maczone on July 18, 2007, 03:56:06 pm

Why is it hard to believe?  He's been in coaching since he left.  Most college games are played on Saturday.  Hard to be two places at once.

Bye weeks, bowl games maybe.
Exactly.  Bye weeks and bowl games during his App. State years.
I'm sure it was hard to during the Air Force and K-State years.  Again, i'm not questioning his coaching or character, I'm just staing my thoughts.   
Jeb Huckeba's dad is a college coach and while he was not able to attend many games, he was there at least one game or bowl game a year.

Jim Harris

I would think he was busy elsewhere coaching, no?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

beansandtaters

Quote from: The Marmot on July 18, 2007, 03:52:08 pm

Could he please get started on Joe Adams yesterday?

MDW

My goodness, people will complain about the most trivial of things.

Does it help to know that he came to practice back in the spring?

Boner

For someone who, no doubt, demands excellence from their football coaches, don't you think Horton would've better spent his time making his current team better?  Gameplanning, recruiting, etc.  Rather than going on vacation?

sihog

try again.
GO HOGS GO

biggiepiggie

You gotta go on vacation sometime.  There's never a good time to go
if you are a coach.   Not any more.

Boner

Quote from: donewithdale on July 18, 2007, 04:23:12 pm
Quote from: Boner on July 18, 2007, 04:10:11 pm

For someone who, no doubt, demands excellence from their football coaches, don't you think Horton would've better spent his time making his current team better?  Gameplanning, recruiting, etc.  Rather than going on vacation?

Absolutely.  Good point.  Maybe he'll skip the pickup basketball games and work.

Nah.  I think they should go on a road trip and sit in the stands and watch another team play.  Maybe eat popcorn and sneak in a flask.  Heck, you guys not only approve of coaches doing that, you'll complain if they don't.  That's what bye weeks are for, isn't it?

Stella

Quote from: Melhog on July 18, 2007, 03:52:18 pm
Horton said he wants to help "build a fence around the state, better than has been done in the past."

That shouldn't be too difficult to do.  At least Tim Horton is a name that is known and trusted around the State. Hope he does well.

He took a shot at HDN and didn't even know it!!!  Hilarious!

Stella

Great, just like David Lee.....

SultanofSwine

I'm starting to think that there should be some sort of application for access to the internet. :-\

Welcome aboard Tim, glad to have you on the staff.

The Marmot

Quote from: The Marmot on July 18, 2007, 03:52:08 pm

To be clear... I wasn't taking a shot at Horton. I thought this was funny though... like he was taking a shot at his new boss.

Congrats to Tim... I hope he can bring something new and exciting to the program.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Silver Hog

Landonhog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on July 18, 2007, 04:50:18 pm
I'm starting to think that there should be some sort of application for access to the internet. :-\

Welcome aboard Tim, glad to have you on the staff.

SERIOUSLY!   Maybe a quick IQ and common sense test?  We can dream, can't we.... 

Landonhog

Quote from: opineonswine on July 18, 2007, 04:59:47 pm

"To come at this time of year and under these circumstances is less than ideal," Horton said.

Horton said that he is here because it was the right move for his family. He was contacted over the weekend by Houston Nutt when Danny said he might not return. Horton was actually on vacation and was driving to Fayetteville when Nutt contacted him.

Horton said he has big shoes to fill and hopes to meet with the players today. He is apprehensive about leaving the OC job at Air Force, but reiterated the move is more about family than his professional career. Horton said he hasn't been to a Razorback game since his senior year in 1989.

Horton said he is concerned about stepping in late. He said he was given a playbook a few days ago and has been "cramming." He said Air Force was going to run an offense this season similar to that of Wake Forest last year. He said the offense was very spread out with a lot of shotgun formations. Horton said the offense he worked in at Kansas State was very similar to the offense Lee is implementing from his time with the Cowboys.

Horton said he wants to implement ideas into the offense as the season progresses. He said he is excited to be the running backs coach and said he wants to take the backs to a level they can't get to by themselves.

Houston also commented about Danny. He said Danny is on his way to Little Rock right now and will meet with the doctors tomorrow.

Horton seemed like a real stand-up guy and is obviously stepping into a dream job coaching the Razorbacks. He made the comment that he wouldn't have left Air Force if the Pittsburgh Steelers were calling with a running backs coach opening. He said it was only because of his love for Arkansas.

Did he say tha he was jumping at the chance to coach with a respected successful coach like Dale?  Just asking....

Call me crazy, but it seems like the original poster spelled out his general quote; pretty clearly...

moses_007

July 18, 2007, 05:10:20 pm #31 Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:11:53 pm by moses_007

I'm sure Tim kept up with how the Hogs were doing and he likely watched us on TV anytime he could.  Once you've played as a Razorback, you are always a Razorback.  I am glad Tim got this job.  It's obvious this year Nutt can't build that fence around Arkansas...but maybe Tim Horton can.

judgeroyswine

I guess I should say I'm sorry....

I began a thread about the long term ramifications of the this hire and it was quickly banished to the far regions of the moon.  I fully understand that this is a free board and willingly submit to the mods discretion, but I really wasn't trying to be offensive.  I legitimately feel this hire is a permenant solution and not a temporary one.  That is all I was looking to communicate and I was seeking to see if others felt that same way.

So to whomever I offended...I am sorry.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Wayne Watson

Dang man he's been coaching.  Not hard to believe at all?

You mean you never take a vacation from collecting stray shopping carts at Wal-Mart?  Everyone deserves a vacation.  I'm glad he's here and wish him well in new endeavor.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ckhawgu

I'll take a fresh breath of air and another view point anyday it comes into the coaching staff mix. Not a slam against anyone or anything it's that I just value fresh input from outside sources in this case. I hate that something is wrong with Danny Nutt that's forced this situation though. That's a tough, tough situation to have to deal with. Be strong Coach D. Nutt!

Queen Hog

Glad they found a former Razorback.  At least he will know how to call the HOGS.
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: wayne1958 on July 18, 2007, 05:51:43 pm

You mean you never take a vacation from collecting stray shopping carts at Wal-Mart?  Everyone deserves a vacation.  I'm glad he's here and wish him well in new endeavor.

Have you ever seen a Wal-Mart parking lot.  You can't take a break.  Most are open 24-7 now.  Then you've got the old and obese that leave the Wal-Mart rascals out in the lot.  Those carts move so fast it messes you up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 18, 2007, 07:27:06 pm
Quote from: wayne1958 on July 18, 2007, 05:51:43 pm

Have you ever seen a Wal-Mart parking lot.  You can't take a break.  Most are open 24-7 now.  Then you've got the old and obese that leave the Wal-Mart rascals out in the lot.  Those carts move so fast it messes you up.

LMAO..............you are right!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs