Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video: QB Kale Pick

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 16, 2007, 06:01:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsfan4l1fe

Nice clip.  Im suprised there were only 3-4 scrambling plays in that entire HL with his speed.

RazorAg

Oh my.  I feel very, very good about his commitment now.  I had only seen a very limited amount of film, and it was of bad quality.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: RazorAg on June 16, 2007, 06:44:59 pm
Oh my.  I feel very, very good about his commitment now.  I had only seen a very limited amount of film, and it was of bad quality.

He is very accurate throwing arm even when moving that 6'2 200lbs frame 4.49/4.5 around in the backfield. 

Darren McFadden actually "Ran out of his Helmet"  now that is speed!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jpenrod1

He made some very impressive throws.

TMc

He has a very nice touch.  Seems to be able to read the field.., and can throw on the run in either direction.
He looks pretty solid.

rljjr

Looks like he hit alot of them in stride. I'm pleased and hopeful for the future.

UrAzoRbacKs

His arm strength and accuracy look good, seems to have good "field sense" (although, what else would you expect from a highlight reel?).

Got out of some sticky situations with good footwork and vision.

Might need a little more consistency with his footwork on dropback plays.

He carries the ball in one hand a lot while scrambling, even in traffic.  Matt Jones did that a lot and it drove me crazy! (didn't stop me from watching though)   ;)

Overall, a very promising young man.  I look forward to the competition between Kale Pick, Joe Chaisson, Nathan Dick, and Jim Youngblood.

:razorback: Woo Pig Sooiee! :razorback:

tophawg19

reciever #27 looks good as well . he was good at getting the deep balls
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Coletrain

I noticed that he made a lot of throws on the move, either off play action, rolling out with a moving pocket, or having to buy a couple of seconds to avoid the rush.  I'm sure that's something this staff is looking for out of the QB position.  This kid seems to have it. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

southeasthog

And yet, some posters(not here) are bashing the h*** out of him.

fshogfan7

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 16, 2007, 09:53:29 pm
I agree, 27 looks worthy of a look as well.

tophawg19

southeast . the first video on rivals shows him throwing only short passes . the ball was poorly thrown often short and wobbly . looked like an old billy kilmer of the washinton redskins . half the time the ball was a lame duck' don't know when that video was done or anything but after watching this one . that one should be titled as a low light video. it's titled as highlight #2

edt

Very impressive player, lets remember the video is of his 11th grade year. He has another year to play high school ball. I just hope we can keep his commit when a lot of bigtime schools court him after his senior year.

H&D

receiver #27 looks good as well . he was good at getting the deep balls

Yep, his name is Mykael Thompson (#27) I wonder if his name is being thrown around any at all, he is only listed as a Junior on their site, come on Dale recruit a dang receiver Monk's not going to be here forever.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

tophawg19

don't know much about the kid but he will go get the ball . and seems to have a knack for breaking on the deep balls and fafes at just the right time .

Adam Stokes

Watching the video his offensive linemen weren't very good at all.  You watch the highlight films of Mustain in high school and he could've had ten seconds to throw the ball every time.  Here Pick has a horrible line, but he still seems to be able to get the pass off.  His misdirection hand offs never faked out the defense however, so being at Arkansas he'll have to fix that.  He'll also have to learn how to stay in the pocket while at Arkansas, and then run when he sees an opening or nothing good down the field.  He couldn't do that at his school with their line.  Besides that he looks very good.

online-with-swine

He seems to have really good arm strength as evident by his third highlight, ~55 yards in the air.  When he rolls out he squares up nicely, thus keeping his accuracey.  Finding QBs who can roll out and maintain their accuracey is difficult. 

The only thing I saw, which can be corrected, is that he seems to lower his left shoulder to the outside and back causing him fall to that direction when he throws.  This can affect his accuracey and velocity.  Falling away may be a product of his line play where he can see the rush coming and shys away from it as a means of protection while throwing.  He seems to have a lively arm and is able to overcome this because of his arm strength.  Against SEC speed that small loss of velocity could cause some difficulty.  However, there are some throws where he steps into the pass and really unloads with a bullet, tight spiral and great speed.  He definately has the ability to be a gunslinger with the right teaching and mechanics.  I think he is a good pick up and can help us.

IronHog

Quote from: Pork-U-Very-Much on June 17, 2007, 09:43:37 am
He seems to have really good arm strength as evident by his third highlight, ~55 yards in the air.  When he rolls out he squares up nicely, thus keeping his accuracey.  Finding QBs who can roll out and maintain their accuracey is difficult. 

The only thing I saw, which can be corrected, is that he seems to lower his left shoulder to the outside and back causing him fall to that direction when he throws.  This can affect his accuracey and velocity.  Falling away may be a product of his line play where he can see the rush coming and shys away from it as a means of protection while throwing.  He seems to have a lively arm and is able to overcome this because of his arm strength.  Against SEC speed that small loss of velocity could cause some difficulty.  However, there are some throws where he steps into the pass and really unloads with a bullet, tight spiral and great speed.  He definately has the ability to be a gunslinger with the right teaching and mechanics.  I think he is a good pick up and can help us.

He was making many of the throws on that video under almost immediate pressure.  No standing in the pocket for the 5th or 6th beat for this young man.  It is easy to look good behind a great line, he is getting results with less than adequate blocking.

Man when he hits the second level he is moving for a kid that size.

Welcome to Arkansas.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

tophawg19

he also holds the ball slightly nose high which makes the ball have to [turn over ] similar to a punt on deep balls and tend to float on short to intermediate ones.

31to6

I wonder if they are taking a look at #27. That kids did some good things with the tosses Pick threw his way in the video.

ckhawgu

He looks like he's got the arm and accuracy for sure. I'm excited about this guy getting picked up!

mrcrowley

June 17, 2007, 06:21:22 pm #22 Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:23:17 pm by mrcrowley
impressive...he semms to be a playmaker...im glad he is a hog

i think he looked better than kodi burns throwing the ball

wps

bd93

A few things I noticed:  1. His O-line is horrible
                                 2. #27 is a pretty good receiver
                                 3. Pick is pretty good.

killamon

Quote from: mrcrowley on June 17, 2007, 06:21:22 pm
impressive...he semms to be a playmaker...im glad he is a hog

i think he looked better than kodi burns throwing the ball

wps

agree

Realist

feel much better about this commitment now

EastMemphisHog

yeah good find. Anyone see like the 4th or 5th clip? He fakes a counter and just takes off down the field. This kid looks good..real good.

AFWarrior83

I'm starting to feel very comfortable after watching some of our QB's highlight reels.  I think out of the 4 guys that will be competing for the starting job, we should be able to have a good starter.  Casey better lookout, he's got some young guys that will be pushing for pt.  I think we are going to have a top 15 recruiting class if we can get a couple big fish we are going after.
Hogville member since 2005.

TheHogFan

Quote from: ajs15razorman on June 17, 2007, 08:25:31 am
  Watching the video his offensive linemen weren't very good at all.  You watch the highlight films of Mustain in high school and he could've had ten seconds to throw the ball every time.  Here Pick has a horrible line, but he still seems to be able to get the pass off.  His misdirection hand offs never faked out the defense however, so being at Arkansas he'll have to fix that.  He'll also have to learn how to stay in the pocket while at Arkansas, and then run when he sees an opening or nothing good down the field.  He couldn't do that at his school with their line.  Besides that he looks very good.
I think that is why you see so many bootlegs. Reminds me of Romo a little. Time will tell I suppose.

Landonhog

http://www.reddemonfootball.com/players/pick.html

Kale makes quite a few good throws on the run...  Looks pretty solid...   Glad he's a going to be a :razorback:!

(came across this on Sal's site)

AirForceHog

He makes alot of nice reads. Looks to a pretty solid deep ball passer. WPS!
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Hogs GoneWild

he does look good although he needs to carry out his fakes a little better for the SEC and keep that ball up while hes running instead of down by his hip with one hand...but did you see number 27 he was all over the place!

ilovepinebluff

Carl Lazlo

Looks like a winner.  Not sure about #27 though.  But, Pick reminds me of Drew Brees.  Although He will have to get faster and stronger for the SEC.  Alot of potential!

p_squared2

Why aren't we also recruiting #27?  It's as much his highlight reel as Kales'.  ...but Kale looks great, welcome to Hog Country!!!

beansandtaters

Quote from: footballmaniac on June 18, 2007, 10:12:00 pm
Looks like a winner.  Not sure about #27 though.  But, Pick reminds me of Drew Brees.  Although He will have to get faster and stronger for the SEC.  Alot of potential!

Tony Romo came to my mind, strangely enough...

YellvilleHog

Looks like a winner and a fighta.  Not sure about #27 though.  But, Pick reminds me of Drew Brees.  Although He will have to get faster and stronger for the SEC.  Alot of potential!

Get it right. ;D

razorray

He looks like a very QB to me. I don't see much difference in Pick and Mustain, except that Pick runs the ball much better than MM. Looks like a very good addition to me.

VenturaHog

Quote from: TheHogFan on June 18, 2007, 04:34:22 pm
Quote from: ajs15razorman on June 17, 2007, 08:25:31 am
I think that is why you see so many bootlegs. Reminds me of Romo a little. Time will tell I suppose.

definitly agree about the romo comparison.

SpaHog

Faster than a 4.5????

hoopy

June 19, 2007, 11:37:51 pm #40 Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:41:33 pm by hoopy
There's also video of Mykeal Thompson (number 27) on the Dodge City site.

http://www.reddemonfootball.com/players.html

A lot of it is the same as Kale's but there are several plays that weren't on Kale's reel.

Last season Dodge City ran the ball as much (if not more) than they threw it. Check out Quinton Robinson's video to see Pick in the running game.

I mentioned this in another thread... I have some doubts about the accuracy of the rushing numbers out there for Pick. He took very few sacks. He didn't run much because he didn't have to. I'm sure he'll run more this year because it doesn't look like they'll have a back as productive as Robinson. There are some short-yardage QB keepers on Paul Nelson's (center) video.

If you have Quicktime installed, click on the Quicktime video link to get better quality video on all of these reels.

BTW, the team Dodge City is playing in the dark blue helmets, jersey and pants is Wichita East... home of top linebacker prospect Arthur Brown. He's number 32. Dodge City beat them 33-14.

Razorhog2006q

All I can say is that I hope we can keep this guy committed. Looks MUCH better than a 3 star recruit.

Hong Kong Sooey

Wow, I'm not sure you boys are watching the same film I am. 

Let me break it down a bit for you.

I want you folks to notice three very important things here.

1.  Watch his out and hitch throws.  In the SEC, those have to get to the receiver yesterday.  His takes far too long to get there.  Cleaning up his release will help some, but this is mainly a function of pure arm strength.  He doesn't seem to have much.

2.  Notice how much he lofts his "deep" ball?  I saw nothing travel more than 40 yards in the air, and many of 30ish that all had a very high arc.  This is nowhere near as worrisome as #1, but certainly a sign of less than optimal strength.

3.  His ball sails on him frequently.  I saw multiple times when his receiver was stretched out to the fullest to make the catch when there was noone to interfere with the reception.  In the SEC, this will get your receivers dead.  Or, it will lead to a lot of INT's when your WR's stop trying to catch anything high.  Again, release mechanincs can be tweaked here for at least a partial remedy.

All in all, I see an athletic kid with good escapability.  Not blazing speed or waterbug quickness, by any means.  He throws best on the move, but that isn't really very effective in the SEC.  He isn't going to be someone you can stick in the Wildcat or spread option attack and expect greatness from.  I see another SEC backup caliber QB.  He'll give us 6 or 7 of those.  If we had a real coaching staff, I'd figure we would find at least one good QB out of this bunch.  But, looking at the guys we have, Mr Pick will go down in the annals of Razorback Lore as "Who"?

ksrazorback

Hope #27 Mykael Thompson follows Kale choice of collage......
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=140668.0

http://www.reddemonfootball.com/players/thompson.html

Quote from: hoopy on June 19, 2007, 11:37:51 pm
There's also video of Mykeal Thompson (number 27) on the Dodge City site.

http://www.reddemonfootball.com/players.html

A lot of it is the same as Kale's but there are several plays that weren't on Kale's reel.

Last season Dodge City ran the ball as much (if not more) than they threw it. Check out Quinton Robinson's video to see Pick in the running game.

I mentioned this in another thread... I have some doubts about the accuracy of the rushing numbers out there for Pick. He took very few sacks. He didn't run much because he didn't have to. I'm sure he'll run more this year because it doesn't look like they'll have a back as productive as Robinson. There are some short-yardage QB keepers on Paul Nelson's (center) video.

If you have Quicktime installed, click on the Quicktime video link to get better quality video on all of these reels.

BTW, the team Dodge City is playing in the dark blue helmets, jersey and pants is Wichita East... home of top linebacker prospect Arthur Brown. He's number 32. Dodge City beat them 33-14.

Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 20, 2007, 07:59:39 am

1.  Watch his out and hitch throws.  In the SEC, those have to get to the receiver yesterday.  His takes far too long to get there.  Cleaning up his release will help some, but this is mainly a function of pure arm strength.  He doesn't seem to have much.

2.  Notice how much he lofts his "deep" ball?  I saw nothing travel more than 40 yards in the air, and many of 30ish that all had a very high arc.  This is nowhere near as worrisome as #1, but certainly a sign of less than optimal strength.

3.  His ball sails on him frequently.  I saw multiple times when his receiver was stretched out to the fullest to make the catch when there was noone to interfere with the reception.  In the SEC, this will get your receivers dead.  Or, it will lead to a lot of INT's when your WR's stop trying to catch anything high.  Again, release mechanincs can be tweaked here for at least a partial remedy.

All in all, I see an athletic kid with good escapability.  Not blazing speed or waterbug quickness, by any means.  He throws best on the move, but that isn't really very effective in the SEC.  He isn't going to be someone you can stick in the Wildcat or spread option attack and expect greatness from.  I see another SEC backup caliber QB.  He'll give us 6 or 7 of those.  If we had a real coaching staff, I'd figure we would find at least one good QB out of this bunch.  But, looking at the guys we have, Mr Pick will go down in the annals of Razorback Lore as "Who"?

He threw off his back foot for 50 yards on one play.  There were at leat 3 plays that I saw that were more than 40 yards.  In my opinion he is ahead of schedule because he is taking snaps from under the center and passing from pro formations.  Most of the top recruits in the nation take every snap from the gun and have 5 recievers in every formation.  He needs some work but he is not in bad shape for a soon to be senior quaterback playing against the best competition in Kansas.  There are very few HS quaterbacks who are polished when they enter college.   

razorbackmkh

I thought that, too. Might be a good pick up as well. Got open in a lot of high traffic situations. Pick seems to have great field vision. Drops it a little short at times, but overall has a good touch and a half decent qbs coach could do good things with this kid.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

Boner

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 20, 2007, 10:30:29 am

He threw off his back foot for 50 yards on one play.  There were at leat 3 plays that I saw that were more than 40 yards.  In my opinion he is ahead of schedule because he is taking snaps from under the center and passing from pro formations.  Most of the top recruits in the nation take every snap from the gun and have 5 recievers in every formation.  He needs some work but he is not in bad shape for a soon to be senior quaterback playing against the best competition in Kansas.  There are very few HS quaterbacks who are polished when they enter college.   

Yeah, not sure where the 40 yard comment came from.  He had a number of throws further than that.  Also, saw him hit guys deep that were tightly covered.  Put the ball where only they could get it.  But hey, everyone has an opinion.  At least HKS detailed why he does/doesn't like the kid other than just posting and running like so many do.  Don't think that last line was necessary, though, other than to take cheap shot.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Boner on June 20, 2007, 11:09:53 am
Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 20, 2007, 10:30:29 am

Yeah, not sure where the 40 yard comment came from.  He had a number of throws further than that.  Also, saw him hit guys deep that were tightly covered.  Put the ball where only they could get it.  But hey, everyone has an opinion.  At least HKS detailed why he does/doesn't like the kid other than just posting and running like so many do.  Don't think that last line was necessary, though, other than to take cheap shot.

The only thing that I can agree with HKS on is that we must have been watching a different video.  In one of the very first clips he throws the ball from his own 47 yard line into the other team's endzone, right in the receiver's arms with a defender on his tail, and he has several other throws that are over 35 yards and right on target.  As far as being polished with a good release, he looks pretty good to me, of course he is not at SEC level yet but that is why you have college coaches and his body is still growing and getting stronger.  As far as throwing the out, I would say his arm is not as strong as Jim Youngblood's yet, but his out passes certainly get there faster than the clips I have seen of Tyler Wilson.  When I compare him to other junior year high school QBs I have seen, I would not call him the best, but he is definitely an SEC caliber recruit.

Boner, if you are trying to understand the last part of HKS post, then you will need to know that he is very agenda driven and his agenda is to replace Arkansas' Head Coach.  I am not saying we don't need a change just that you need to understand that in order to know why he made the last comment.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 17, 2007, 08:01:44 am
southeast . the first video on rivals shows him throwing only short passes . the ball was poorly thrown often short and wobbly . looked like an old billy kilmer of the washinton redskins . half the time the ball was a lame duck' don't know when that video was done or anything but after watching this one . that one should be titled as a low light video. it's titled as highlight #2

Still, that's no excuse to be bashing future Razorbacks. 

IronHog

Bad post man.

1.  Common problem for young QB's as outs are about the hardest route to throw.  Think his arm will be stronger at 20 in the SEC than as a 16 y/o on film?  He is often throwing off his back foot due to poor pass protection and still beating the DB to the break.

2.  I did not see him "float" any down field passes.  I did see him "put air" under his deep throws so his WR can run under the ball and catch the thing as QB's are taught to do. Would you rather he throw a bullet off the back of the defenders helmet?

3.  Again just a young QB problem.  Mustain and Stafford both struggled with this as freshman in the SEC as I am sure they did in HS at times.

You focused on the negatives instead of the plays where he threw the ball 50 yards off his back foot or hit the out in stride with nice velocity. If he can do it on certain plays he can do it on every play in the future with practice.  Physically the kid is ahead of many as a junior in HS.

If he was able to stand in the pocket for 5+ seconds like a mustain, clausen, or mallet in HS I am sure his video would be much cleaner.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.