Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D 1 signees per state per year (updated)

Started by JJHog, October 12, 2006, 02:11:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: hogsNbeer on October 12, 2006, 03:20:12 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 02:22:06 pm
29. Wisconsin 17
33. Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
37. Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7

How can we ever hope to compete with these national powers on a regular basis?  Woe is me  :(

I hope all the NUTT apologists see this stat....It is very telling... I guess it pretty much destroys the idea that we will never be able to compete with the big boys because of our InState recruitment is not like that of a Louisiana, or California.........Furthermore, I just thought of this..... These teams mentioned have played in a BCS bowl....      

Fisrt, let ANY of those schools play in the SEC, and it would be forever and a day before they played in a BCS game.

Second, we are not competing with those teams or in their general recruiting areas.  We are in the SEC.  We send, maybe, 8 from in state to BCS conf programs, on average.  We are tryong to pry SEC calibre players out of states like TX, Bama, Ga, Fla, LA, and MS.  So we are not even giving them the ability to play in a better league by leaving their home state. 

Lets hold off on all the WV love.  Lets let them lay more than one decent team every year before we proclaim them a longterm powerful success.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2006, 04:17:50 pm
29. Wisconsin 17
33. Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
37. Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7

How can we ever hope to compete with these national powers on a regular basis?  Woe is me  :(

I hope all the NUTT apologists see this stat....It is very telling... I guess it pretty much destroys the idea that we will never be able to compete with the big boys because of our InState recruitment is not like that of a Louisiana, or California.........Furthermore, I just thought of this..... These teams mentioned have played in a BCS bowl....      

Fisrt, let ANY of those schools play in the SEC, and it would be forever and a day before they played in a BCS game.

Second, we are not competing with those teams or in their general recruiting areas.  We are in the SEC.  We send, maybe, 8 from in state to BCS conf programs, on average.  We are tryong to pry SEC calibre players out of states like TX, Bama, Ga, Fla, LA, and MS.  So we are not even giving them the ability to play in a better league by leaving their home state. 

Lets hold off on all the WV love.  Lets let them lay more than one decent team every year before we proclaim them a longterm powerful success.
Being ranked where WVU is for two years is significantly better than anything HDN has done in 9 years.  It doesn't matter what conference they play in.  WE have to compete in OUR conference.  Period.  If we don't, changes need to be made.

hogsNbeer

29. Wisconsin 17
33. Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
37. Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7

Well sanity, they dont' play in the SEC do they.....  My point is, they did what they had to do to get to a BCS bowl with the amount of in state talent they have..... Which seems to be one of the most upfront arguments the Schaeffer's of the world inform us...Is that our crop is not as big as the big boys, how can we compete....... Whether or not they play in our conference is not the point...... Obviously, WE are not doing what we need to do to get there..... Again, sanity....thanks for the enlightenment......  I do remember WVU beating Georgia last year.....

hogsanity

Quote from: hogsNbeer on October 12, 2006, 04:22:25 pm
29. Wisconsin 17
33. Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
37. Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7

Well sanity, they dont' play in the SEC do they.....  My point is, they did what they had to do to get to a BCS bowl with the amount of in state talent they have..... Which seems to be one of the most upfront arguments the Schaeffer's of the world inform us...Is that our crop is not as big as the big boys, how can we compete....... Whether or not they play in our conference is not the point...... Obviously, WE are not doing what we need to do to get there..... Again, sanity....thanks for the enlightenment......  I do remember WVU beating Georgia last year.....

Sorry, I just don't take comparisons with teams out side the SEC with as much weight as with those in the conference.  I mean, Ar would dominate the Mt West or WAC, but thats not where we play.  We compete in the SEC, so compare it there.  Our in state talent, by and large, is inferior to anything the rest of the SEC has to pick from. 

And, to win, we have to stop getting leftovers out of these talent rich states, and start getting good numbers of legit sec calibre players.  I never said we have done a good job of that.

One thing I do know, is that the last several NC's have come from states that are in the top 10 talent producers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sao Ming

The 2006 Texas class signed 375 not 325.  Just a FYI.

Here's the break down from Texas Football by classification:

5A - 235
4A - 83
3A - 34
2A - 12
1A - 1
Private - 10

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,71192.0.html

4thdownnutt

what helps us is what Nutt has done.  Spring football and 7 on 7 in the summer.  Also consolidation of our small schools helps like no one knows.

hogsanity

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on October 12, 2006, 04:34:12 pm
what helps us is what Nutt has done.  Spring football and 7 on 7 in the summer.  Also consolidation of our small schools helps like no one knows.

What consolidation?  There are more Fb playing HS in Ar now than 3 or 4 years ago.

Tusks

Here's what I don't get....teams can only sign 25 a season.  After TX and OU take the top 50 out of TX the Hogs have an all time winning record against any school it recruits against for the remaining top 50 players.  Do you know what % of D1 recruits from TX leave TX for school....51% it's been that way for 30 years.  Samething in Florida.  UF, UM, FSU can only sign 75 so that leaves the rest for everyone else.  Why should a recruit from Florida pick WVU or Louisville or Iowa or NCST or Nebraska or Missouri or Pitt over the Hogs.....there is no reason.  Recruiting is selling the coach and the program but mainly the coach.  Why did Crawford decommit from LSU to come to UA....the coach...GM.  If a guy out of Florida doesn't sign with the top 3 he's heading out of state to a place where the coach has convinced him that he'll either put him in the NFL, on TV a lot or in a championship game.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

Quote from: nutted on October 12, 2006, 04:39:19 pm
Here's what I don't get....teams can only sign 25 a season.  After TX and OU take the top 50 out of TX the Hogs have an all time winning record against any school it recruits against for the remaining top 50 players.  Do you know what % of D1 recruits from TX leave TX for school....51% it's been that way for 30 years.  Samething in Florida.  UF, UM, FSU can only sign 75 so that leaves the rest for everyone else.  Why should a recruit from Florida pick WVU or Louisville or Iowa or NCST or Nebraska or Missouri or Pitt over the Hogs.....there is no reason.  Recruiting is selling the coach and the program but mainly the coach.  Why did Crawford decommit from LSU to come to UA....the coach...GM.  If a guy out of Florida doesn't sign with the top 3 he's heading out of state to a place where the coach has convinced him that he'll either put him in the NFL, on TV a lot or in a championship game.

Lets just take a kid from Fla who decides to leave the state.  To get him to the UA, we have to convince him to fly over Ga, Aub, Bama.  We also have to convince him to by pass TN and LSU.  And thats just the SEC schools. 

Melhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2006, 04:36:20 pm

What consolidation?  There are more Fb playing HS in Ar now than 3 or 4 years ago.

He's talking about consolidation of school districts. Not sure how combining 2 districts or more to make one larger district helps the talent level unless maybe better coaching, more competition, etc.  Ok, answered my own question.

Hong Kong Sooey

The two things that would most help Arkansas develop more D-1 players are Junior Varsity programs, and moving away from antiquated offenses in Arkansas high schools. 

JV programs develop kids that don't get to see much playing time as things stand now.  Arkansas high schools have "B" games which may or may not be played each week.  The "B" team usually has several Varsity players just to get more playing time for them.  In Texas, JV is comprised of predominately 10th and 11th graders, with 9th graders added to the mix at smaller schools.  No SRs are allowed to play JV, and you can only suit up for either JV or Varsity each week.  This allows the younger players to develop at a much faster pace.  JV is far more important than 7 on 7 and spring football, although those go hand in hand with JV as the building blocks of good programs.

As to the antiquated offenses, Arkansas high schools may well be the final resting place of every moldy oldy ever ran.  Where else can you see an offense popularized in the 1040's go toe to toe with one from the 1950's almost every Friday night.  We are seeing a shift to more college and pro style offenses at some schools, like Shiloh, Springdale, Greenwood, and others.  But far too many Arkansas high schools still run the Dead T, the Wing T, and assorted Split Veer style offenses.  This trend toward using the forward pass in games is promising, but until the dinosaurs of the Arkansas coaching ranks move on, I fear we may be stuck in the past.

If we make the to moves I have outlined, I believe our D-1 talent level will increase exponentially over 10 years.  We should be on par with Mississippi and Alabama, not Hawaii and Wisconsin.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2006, 04:28:17 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on October 12, 2006, 04:22:25 pm
29. Wisconsin 17
33. Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
37. Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7

Sorry, I just don't take comparisons with teams out side the SEC with as much weight as with those in the conference.  I mean, Ar would dominate the Mt West or WAC, but thats not where we play.  We compete in the SEC, so compare it there.  Our in state talent, by and large, is inferior to anything the rest of the SEC has to pick from. 

And, to win, we have to stop getting leftovers out of these talent rich states, and start getting good numbers of legit sec calibre players.  I never said we have done a good job of that.

One thing I do know, is that the last several NC's have come from states that are in the top 10 talent producers.

I agree with you...I'm just saying, that it can be done..... You can win without having to depend on your in state talent all the time....These teams, obviously, are going out of state and getting good players....... 

JackJohnson

States like Illinios, Indiana, Oregon, Iowa, Washington, Tenn, and Ok all have multiple BCS schools as well as other mid majors, which again makes the Ark job that much more appealing than what the media will lead you to believe!!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2006, 04:42:30 pm

Lets just take a kid from Fla who decides to leave the state.  To get him to the UA, we have to convince him to fly over Ga, Aub, Bama.  We also have to convince him to by pass TN and LSU.  And thats just the SEC schools. 

Just like Broderick would have to fly over 14+ state to get to Southern Cal....... If he chooses to...... If USC wasnt' USC, it would be a no brainer for him....... but if the HOGS were Southern Cal caliber, I don't think it would be that tough to get a kid to fly over those states........  The fact is, we're not Southern Cal...     

4thdownnutt

It all has to do with MONEY for schools. yea we have mor HS teams playing ball and a  lot of that is bc some school districts are now big enough to play ball.  Look at Lake Village, Marion,Magnolia and think about Eudora,Crawfordsville,McNeil.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 04:48:17 pm
The two things that would most help Arkansas develop more D-1 players are Junior Varsity programs, and moving away from antiquated offenses in Arkansas high schools. 

JV programs develop kids that don't get to see much playing time as things stand now.  Arkansas high schools have "B" games which may or may not be played each week.  The "B" team usually has several Varsity players just to get more playing time for them.  In Texas, JV is comprised of predominately 10th and 11th graders, with 9th graders added to the mix at smaller schools.  No SRs are allowed to play JV, and you can only suit up for either JV or Varsity each week.  This allows the younger players to develop at a much faster pace.  JV is far more important than 7 on 7 and spring football, although those go hand in hand with JV as the building blocks of good programs.

As to the antiquated offenses, Arkansas high schools may well be the final resting place of every moldy oldy ever ran.  Where else can you see an offense popularized in the 1040's go toe to toe with one from the 1950's almost every Friday night.  We are seeing a shift to more college and pro style offenses at some schools, like Shiloh, Springdale, Greenwood, and others.  But far too many Arkansas high schools still run the Dead T, the Wing T, and assorted Split Veer style offenses.  This trend toward using the forward pass in games is promising, but until the dinosaurs of the Arkansas coaching ranks move on, I fear we may be stuck in the past.

If we make the to moves I have outlined, I believe our D-1 talent level will increase exponentially over 10 years.  We should be on par with Mississippi and Alabama, not Hawaii and Wisconsin.
I am consistently amazed at the lack of response when I post something this profound.  Somebody say something.   ???  :-[  ???

hogsanity

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on October 12, 2006, 05:11:05 pm
It all has to do with MONEY for schools. yea we have mor HS teams playing ball and a  lot of that is bc some school districts are now big enough to play ball.  Look at Lake Village, Marion,Magnolia and think about Eudora,Crawfordsville,McNeil.

Jut because they can play does not mean they should

1836andon

Didn't realize Gus recruited London Crawdord.  So Gus recruits AR and LA,  what other state do we have him assigned to?  Do any of the other coaches recruit?  Gus must be real busy. 

PMP11

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 05:13:16 pm

I am consistently amazed at the lack of response when I post something this profound.  Somebody say something.   ???  :-[  ???
[/quote]

When did Ark high schools stop playing JV.  I have lived out of state a few years now, but in my day (FS Southside early 90's) we played JV and also Jr High ball.  I'm having a hard time following this argument and maybe others are as well.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: PMP11 on October 12, 2006, 05:28:39 pm

When did Ark high schools stop playing JV.  I have lived out of state a few years now, but in my day (FS Southside early 90's) we played JV and also Jr High ball.  I'm having a hard time following this argument and maybe others are as well.
[/quote]Only the largest schools play JV.  And, what we call JV here is significantly different from what I am proposing.  JV as it is currently constituted is essentially the same as the smaller schools "B" games.  Every program from 3A up should have a JV program.

Adrenaline_Junkie

look at West Virginia they are 37 and we are 28th.............but look at WVU vs. Arkansas. That's where coaching and a good staff comes in. Not saying anything about WVU being overrated but we need to change this.

P.S +1 for finding this..............I looked at this before and its very interesting

Tusks

Ok you're kidding right?  You think that Crawford just decided to jump from LSU to Arkansas because he liked the power I.  As a matter of fact Gus did recruit him.  Crawford and Williams became friends at a HS all star game and when Williams came on board so did Crawford.  Since Gus coaches the WR then I say it's a pretty good chance Gus recruited him because of him being OC and position coach.

Quote from: 1836andon on October 12, 2006, 05:25:14 pm

Didn't realize Gus recruited London Crawdord.  So Gus recruits AR and LA,  what other state do we have him assigned to?  Do any of the other coaches recruit?  Gus must be real busy. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: spacehog on October 12, 2006, 03:08:38 pm
Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 12, 2006, 02:30:45 pm

How can HAWAII have more D-I prospects than ARK?

Well if Hawaii is D-1 and basically the whole team is made up of Hawaiins, then that could easily happen.
You guys are also neglecting the military bases that are there.  You have a ton of Navy and Air Force brats that graduate from High school there and decide to just stay there and go to college since their mom and/or dad are stationed there.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

spacehog

Quote from: BeoPig on October 12, 2006, 05:43:06 pm
Quote from: spacehog on October 12, 2006, 03:08:38 pm
Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 12, 2006, 02:30:45 pm

How can HAWAII have more D-I prospects than ARK?

I agree, so native natives, and non-native natives is how Hawaii does it.

Well if Hawaii is D-1 and basically the whole team is made up of Hawaiins, then that could easily happen.
You guys are also neglecting the military bases that are there.  You have a ton of Navy and Air Force brats that graduate from High school there and decide to just stay there and go to college since their mom and/or dad are stationed there.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

go hogues

Quote from: JJHog on October 12, 2006, 02:11:31 pm
1. Texas 325                 22,859,968
2. California 315            36,132,147
3. Florida 251                17,789,864
4. Ohio 135
5. Georgia 133
6. Pennsylvania 69
7. Illinois 67
8. Alabama 66
9. New Jersey 65
10. Louisiana 62
11. Michigan 59
12. North Carolina 57
13. Mississippi 53
14. Maryland 48
15. Virginia 46
16. Arizona 44
17. Tennessee 39
18. Colorado 38
19. New York 35
20. South Carolina 34
21. Hawaii 32
22. Indiana 30
23. Kentucky 26
Washington 26
Oklahoma 26
26. Missouri 25          5,800,310
27. Utah 20               2,469,585
Arkansas 20              2,779,154
29. Wisconsin 17        5,536,201
Kansas 17
31. Connecticut 14
Nevada 14
33. Minnesota 13
Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
36. New Mexico 8
37. District of Columbia 7
Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7
40. Massachusetts 6
41. Idaho 4
42. New Hampshire 3
Wyoming 3
44. Delaware 2
Alaska 2
46. Maine 1
South Dakota 1
Rhode Island 1
49. Montana, Vermont, North Dakota 0

I added pops. of selected states.  Top 3 and the ones around us in the poll.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

JackJohnson

October 12, 2006, 07:04:44 pm #76 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 07:08:55 pm by JackJohnson
Quote from: Bogarto on October 12, 2006, 06:13:21 pm
Arkansas = Only major program in the entire state.

Florida= Miami, FSU, Florida, USF, UCF
Texas = Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor

Georgia should also always be good with that type of talent and only Tech as the other in school state.

Iowa has 2 BCS schools
Indiana has 3 BCS schools
Illinois has 2 BCS schools
Washington has 2 BCS schools
Oregon has 2 BCS schools
Wisconsin has 1 BCS school

Tennessee and Ok have the same amount of talent in state as us, but each have 3 D1 schools, with two being BCS schools to spike the total amount of d1 signings.

All of the above schools have a around the same amount of talent to work with as we do.  Yet, have WAY more competition just with the in-state schools. 

All of the above states except Illinois have a school from their state that have gone to a BCS bowl game. 

NONE of them have NEAR the facilities we have.

Basically, WE HAVE NO EXCUSE TO NOT BE A TOP 15 PROGRAM EVERY YEAR!!!  What we have started this year, needs to turn into a BCS season, THERE IS NO REASON IF THEY CAN DO IT THAT WE CAN'T. 

NO MORE WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR, IF THE CURRENT STAFF CAN'T DO IT, BRING IN ONE THAT CAN!!!!!!

Puerco Diablo

I agree with all that has been said.  With 600 recruits available in SEC country and another 400 in Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri, we should be able to tap into some good recruits to complement Arkansas' best.

arkjay19

And that number is gonna shoot up for Arkansas.  There are more and more better recruits coming out of the state than ever before.

Hog Fan from Camden

DeltaBoy

October 12, 2006, 08:01:18 pm #80 Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 08:03:12 pm by DeltaBoy

Well i am Glad to tell you that the General at Wynne and the recently retired Frank McClellan of Barton won over 10 state FB Titles with those antiquated Offences beating schools that ran the New Fancy stuff.  

Clarendon had JV for years until the numbers dropped off too much.  And We Put Rodney Scaife, Kerry Owens, Tank Daniels and Cedric Houston in the NFL  BROTHER! :)
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2006, 08:01:18 pm

Well i am Glad to tell you that the General at Wynne and the recently retired Frank McClellan of Barton won over 10 state FB Titles with those antiquated Offences beating schools that ran the New Fancy stuff.  

Clarendon had JV for years until the numbers dropped off too much.  And We Put Rodney Scaife, Kerry Owens, Tank Daniels and Cedric Houston in the NFL  BROTHER! :)
That is great DB, but that doesn't help our D-1 talent production.  Running the Wing T well will win against high school talent, but it won't prepare you for D-1 football.

JV is a great tool for getting more kids playing time and the work they need to suceed.

Arkstfan

What amazes me is Idaho. You've got Boise State in the top 25, two teams in the state and four recruits. I know one year I looked at the state had two signees. One signed with Idaho and one with Boise State.

arkjay19

I think I remember a stat the other day saying that Arkansas was #28 in the nation in Div 1A prospects per year with 20.  Well just looking on Rivals:

There are around 60 players that have a GREAT shot at signing with Div 1A schools and about another 25 that have a decent shot and might just sign with Div 1AA schools.  That means that around 85 players have a shot of being signed to Div 1A teams this year and Rivals always misses a couple.

17 players have already committed to Div 1A school only three short of the average already.  Only 9 of those are committed to Arkansas; two to Tulsa; the rest are committed to Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Duke, Kansas State, Texas, and USC.

And there are still players with offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, TCU, Florida State, Troy, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Memphis, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, Auburn and many more.

This is to say that this will probably be the best class Arkansas has ever had in quality and quantity and that the state of Arkansas is going to have more and better players each and every year in football.  That #28 is going to get better as the years go by.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

HogISH™

Quote from: go hogues on October 12, 2006, 06:06:18 pm
1. Texas 325                 22,859,968
2. California 315            36,132,147
3. Florida 251                17,789,864
4. Ohio 135
5. Georgia 133
6. Pennsylvania 69
7. Illinois 67
8. Alabama 66
9. New Jersey 65
10. Louisiana 62
11. Michigan 59
12. North Carolina 57
13. Mississippi 53
14. Maryland 48
15. Virginia 46
16. Arizona 44
17. Tennessee 39
18. Colorado 38
19. New York 35
20. South Carolina 34
21. Hawaii 32
22. Indiana 30
23. Kentucky 26
Washington 26
Oklahoma 26
26. Missouri 25          5,800,310
27. Utah 20               2,469,585
Arkansas 20              2,779,154
29. Wisconsin 17        5,536,201
Kansas 17
31. Connecticut 14
Nevada 14
33. Minnesota 13
Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
36. New Mexico 8
Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7
40. Massachusetts 6
41. Idaho 4
42. New Hampshire 3
Wyoming 3
44. Delaware 2
Alaska 2
46. Maine 1
South Dakota 1
Rhode Island 1

I added pops. of selected states.  Top 3 and the ones around us in the poll.

nice work, i might try to fill in the rest this weekend.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Tusks

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2006, 04:42:30 pm

Sanity I didn't say anything about Florida recruits that go to GA, Aub, Bama, TN or LSU.

I'm talking about recruits that have to FLY over all those SEC schools to such tempting destinations as WV or Iowa or Pitt etc etc.  I own businesses in Raleigh and if I were a basketball player it's interesting but for football no thanks...the SEC is much more appealing or if I can't get Arkansas to recruit me then I've got to go to Iowa or WV.  I'd love to get out of school and work in the corn or mining industry...oh boy!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 08:50:12 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2006, 08:01:18 pm

That is great DB, but that doesn't help our D-1 talent production.  Running the Wing T well will win against high school talent, but it won't prepare you for D-1 football.

JV is a great tool for getting more kids playing time and the work they need to suceed.

Ive been saying this since the day I joined Hogville.  The vast majority of Ar HS Fb is run by coaches who just want to find their biggest guy and hand it too him.  Booneville won the state title a few years ago, and threw fewer than 20 passes ALL SEASON. 

At the risk of getting this thread moved, alot of AR HS coaches have no choice because their schools are so small they have no one to throw the ball, or no one to catch the ball. 

Dont think AR HS Fb is old school?  Read through Hootens preview.  They tell what offense each school plans to run.  It is filled with dead T wing T splitback ( veer ) wishbone, and even one Diamond T. 

DeltaBoy

Excuses.....

Excuses Excuses we hear them every day ole Houston will supply them so he can make us pay.  When it comes to the HOGS the Fan is the one who loses,... but to keep you coming to the Games... Houston offers you excuses!!!!!!  Our state is just too small, The Hill is way too Square,  Tinnier got Prettier girls who wear no underwear. So the Summertime is too hot, Monday Morning and the Winter time is too Cold Come Friday night But come signing Day PHAT PHIL looks alright! And the thing that breaks our backs is most of the recurits Think Frank is too Damn Old.   Excuses Excuses I am sick and tired of this POOR OLE LITTLE ARKANSAS SYNDROM!!!!!  It is Time for the HOGS to get out there and FIGHT for RECURITS  WE have the BEST FACILITIES AND PLENTY OF MONEY  GO GET SOME WINNERS AND QUIT WHINNING FRANK,HOUSTON AND The REST of the UA STAFF!
:razorback:  GO HOGS BEAT'EM BAD!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2006, 10:21:49 am
Excuses.....

Excuses Excuses we hear them every day ole Houston will supply them so he can make us pay.  When it comes to the HOGS the Fan is the one who loses,... but to keep you coming to the Games... Houston offers you excuses!!!!!!  Our state is just too small, The Hill is way too Square,  Tinnier got Prettier girls who wear no underwear. So the Summertime is too hot, Monday Morning and the Winter time is too Cold Come Friday night But come signing Day PHAT PHIL looks alright! And the thing that breaks our backs is most of the recurits Think Frank is too Damn Old.   Excuses Excuses I am sick and tired of this POOR OLE LITTLE ARKANSAS SYNDROM!!!!!  It is Time for the HOGS to get out there and FIGHT for RECURITS  WE have the BEST FACILITIES AND PLENTY OF MONEY  GO GET SOME WINNERS AND QUIT WHINNING FRANK,HOUSTON AND The REST of the UA STAFF!
:razorback:  GO HOGS BEAT'EM BAD!

And this has to do with Ar HS Fb being old school? 

ironhog227

i believe it was jackie sherrill who asked why arkansas didn't recruit mississippi more?  one of those schools must have some shite on us or something!  i remember the flop robert reed was from mississippi.  he is probably the biggest hyped recruit from mississipp(football) we have gotten in the last 15 years. i wonder why we can get in there more?

hogfan064

1. Texas 325
2. California 315
3. Florida 251
4. Ohio 135
5. Georgia 133
6. Pennsylvania 69
7. Illinois 67
8. Alabama 66
9. New Jersey 65
10. Louisiana 62
11. Michigan 59
12. North Carolina 57
13. Mississippi 53
14. Maryland 48
15. Virginia 46
16. Arizona 44
17. Tennessee 39
18. Colorado 38
19. New York 35
20. South Carolina 34
21. Hawaii 32
22. Indiana 30
23. Kentucky 26
Washington 26
Oklahoma 26
26. Missouri 25
27. Utah 20
Arkansas 20
29. Wisconsin 17
Kansas 17
31. Connecticut 14
Nevada 14
33. Minnesota 13
Iowa 13
35. Oregon 11
36. New Mexico 8
Nebraska 7
West Virginia 7
40. Massachusetts 6
41. Idaho 4
42. New Hampshire 3
Wyoming 3
44. Delaware 2
Alaska 2
46. Maine 1
South Dakota 1
Rhode Island 1

One problem with this list is that many of the D-1 prospects on this list signed with schools like Akron, Kent, or Utah State.  I think the best ranking is the one that ranks states with NFL players.  If a state has 8 d-1 schools in it, but those schools are Akron, Kent, Bowling Green, Cinci, and other poor programs then the players they recruit aren't exactly big time players.

HogISH™

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 13, 2006, 11:10:48 am

One problem with this list is that many of the D-1 prospects on this list signed with schools like Akron, Kent, or Utah State.  I think the best ranking is the one that ranks states with NFL players.  If a state has 8 d-1 schools in it, but those schools are Akron, Kent, Bowling Green, Cinci, and other poor programs then the players they recruit aren't exactly big time players.

nice, we have a volunteer for a little research!

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

hogfan064

Quote from: HogISH™ on October 13, 2006, 11:17:38 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 13, 2006, 11:10:48 am

nice, we have a volunteer for a little research!

HogISH

STATES WITH MOST NFL PLAYERS

California: 195
Florida: 187
Texas: 181
Georgia: 94
Louisiana: 74
Ohio: 68
Pennsylvania: 61
South Carolina: 52
Illinois: 51
Mississippi: 49
Virginia: 49

HOMETOWNS WITH MOST NFL PLAYERS

Miami, FL: 27
Houston, TX: 23
Dallas, TX: 20
Los Angeles, CA: 17
Detroit, MI: 16
San Diego, CA: 16
Jacksonville, FL: 15
Atlanta, GA 14
New Orleans, LA 13
Pittsburgh, PA 13
Memphis, TN 11
Phoenix, AZ 10
Washington, DC 10

B8B

The 7A West has a great Soph and JV program that plays on Monday nights.  Head Coachs usually coach, helps develop young talent.  7A West as well as the rest of the state of Arkansas has more D-1 talent this year than ever before.  This will be a record year. Well over 25 offers to date to D-1 Schools.

hawkeyefan17

This just proves that the "fence around the state" that everyone talks about on this board is useless. Sure go ahead, build a fence. Even with that fence you still would not be able to build a successful program. There just aren't enough numbers. Of those 20, assuming Arkansas were to sign every one of them, would actually make it?

Bottom line, the key to building successful programs in states like Iowa, Arkansas, West Virginia, Nebraska, among others is out of state recruiting. Recruiting nationally is the key, not just regionally, not just in Texas and Florida. Go look at Iowa's roster (I say Iowa only because they are a good example here) the roster is filled with guys from New Jersey, Pennsylvannia, Connecticut, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Illiniois. Sure, there are quite a few Iowa kids on the team but by and large the impact players come from somewhere other than Iowa. This has to happen in order for the program to be successful. Iowa has also gone into St. Louis and Kansas City and done very well recruiting wise. Stop before you say that that fact is not relevant to Arkansas. Missouri should be a very healthy pipeline for Arkasnas, always, as should Texas.

Springdale 5's are nice but they don't come around that often. For the "flyover" states you have to work harder than everyone else and that means racking up the frequent flyer miles..not building a fence.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on October 13, 2006, 11:55:27 am
This just proves that the "fence around the state" that everyone talks about on this board is useless. Sure go ahead, build a fence. Even with that fence you still would not be able to build a successful program. There just aren't enough numbers. Of those 20, assuming Arkansas were to sign every one of them, would actually make it?

Bottom line, the key to building successful programs in states like Iowa, Arkansas, West Virginia, Nebraska, among others is out of state recruiting. Recruiting nationally is the key, not just regionally, not just in Texas and Florida. Go look at Iowa's roster (I say Iowa only because they are a good example here) the roster is filled with guys from New Jersey, Pennsylvannia, Connecticut, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Illiniois. Sure, there are quite a few Iowa kids on the team but by and large the impact players come from somewhere other than Iowa. This has to happen in order for the program to be successful. Iowa has also gone into St. Louis and Kansas City and done very well recruiting wise. Stop before you say that that fact is not relevant to Arkansas. Missouri should be a very healthy pipeline for Arkasnas, always, as should Texas.

Springdale 5's are nice but they don't come around that often. For the "flyover" states you have to work harder than everyone else and that means racking up the frequent flyer miles..not building a fence.

Finally, a voice of understanding.  No one in their right mind would even begin to think a SEC program could be built with our instaters.  And that does put us at a disadvantage, because LSu, Ga, Bama, and Fla COULD make a SEC program out of thier instate guys. 

311Hog

While i do agree you cant rely solely on instate talent when you are in Arkansas's position, and you do in fact have to go to the big states with the big talent and recuit like a madman.

But i do NOT agree you should settle for this, i believe that the people that can should be trying to build this state up to a level where at some point in the future we may very well be able to rely solely on instate talent to win. I just do not believe that Arkansas is such a bad place that no one would want to come here, that business and people wouldnt want to come here. Sure in the past it has been this way and most people believe it to be changing now.

I am for continued improvement of our instate institutions.  And if that means that the more affluent areas of our state need to help those that arent then so be it.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:25:56 pm
While i do agree you cant rely solely on instate talent when you are in Arkansas's position, and you do in fact have to go to the big states with the big talent and recuit like a madman.

But i do NOT agree you should settle for this, i believe that the people that can should be trying to build this state up to a level where at some point in the future we may very well be able to rely solely on instate talent to win. I just do not believe that Arkansas is such a bad place that no one would want to come here, that business and people wouldnt want to come here. Sure in the past it has been this way and most people believe it to be changing now.

I am for continued improvement of our instate institutions.  And if that means that the more affluent areas of our state need to help those that arent then so be it.

Changing it will require a complete shift in the thinking of our public about or public schools.  This goes way beyond athletics though, and it isn't going to change. 

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 12:28:46 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:25:56 pm

Changing it will require a complete shift in the thinking of our public about or public schools.  This goes way beyond athletics though, and it isn't going to change. 

See i hate things like that, maybe im just a guy in his 20's that is still being a bit to idealistic for my own good. But i am a cynic to the core and even i think that all these ppl that use Cnotes for firewood, should be trying to build up places that need it.

I mean you all mention the JV programs i played JV for almost 2 years soph and jr, and most of the games i played in the other team just took that game as an excuse to play their varsity starters in different positions and crush people.  And then again some of the towns you get to go see, and see how crapy their stadiums and locker rooms are and you wonder why.

if the University of Arkansas really is the state's team, and the Razorback Foundation really has billions of dollars just laying around for all these new things would it really be that much of a stretch to kick down some cash to the High School level? to bring some pride and some jobs back into some of the places in this state that really need it.