Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like it's going to be Paul Rhoads

Started by grayhawg, January 16, 2017, 09:59:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Lady Back

Congrats Coach Rhoads! Now Partridge please...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hoggish1

Quote from: WildRazorback on January 16, 2017, 10:20:34 pm
I'm sure he is a very good coach, and we will see at least marginal improvements next fall, but for the life of me, I just cannot see big-time defensive recruits lining up to play for him. He has had some success in the past, but most people (especially this younger generation that I am a part of) remember him from his mediocre stint at Iowa State. We have to have a dynamite hire for the newly opened DB job.

When was the last time you saw anything but mediocrity at Iowa State?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 07:54:22 am
Ideally, if your D-Line is capable of doing their job in either a 4-3 or 3-4, LB's have to deal with less traffic and don't have to make a tremendously athletic play to get to the ball.

Agree.. I'm just not sure if it was capability as much as out of position with our DE's... seemed more fundamental at times.. but then again, I'm not a coach...

if we were to utilize a 3-4, we probably could use coaching help at OLB... EC sounds like a good candidate.. and if it was as I said, more  fundamental on the DL then maybe someone new there... CP?   Just not sure how we could manage all the titles... probably a pipe dream..

I don't wish any coach to lose his job, but it's the nature of the biz.. if we were to add the names I mentioned, I'd feel really good about the off season.. major needs - major response..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 17, 2017, 08:03:52 am
When was the last time you saw anything but mediocrity at Iowa State?

I would think mediocrity at ISU means someone did a HE!! of a job...

King Kong

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:43:23 am
No it was not.teams did not have to pass because they ran over us. when they had to pass like Mizzo and others.they did it at will. sorry but you are wrong. this defense was pitiful everywhere.

Yards down, completion % down, PB up and Ints per pass attempt up.

HF#1

Yes we got more turnovers and yes we gave up less yardage. But overall we still had one of the crappier defenses in this league and Rhoads was a part of it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

King Kong

Paul Rhoads defensive keeping WV out of the NC on the Road

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/duwFnrE7cbY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hoggish1

Quote from: hobhog on January 16, 2017, 10:55:23 pm
I like the move. Rhoads is an experienced and energetic coach and players like him. We will see what recruits think but I think defense will respond to his energy. Let's see what happens next on staff.

WPS.

Are you sure you meant to be reasonable?  You probably didn't check with Hog Solo first...LOL

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 08:09:27 am
Agree.. I'm just not sure if it was capability as much as out of position with our DE's... seemed more fundamental at times.. but then again, I'm not a coach...

if we were to utilize a 3-4, we probably could use coaching help at OLB... EC sounds like a good candidate.. and if it was as I said, more  fundamental on the DL then maybe someone new there... CP?   Just not sure how we could manage all the titles... probably a pipe dream..

I don't wish any coach to lose his job, but it's the nature of the biz.. if we were to add the names I mentioned, I'd feel really good about the off season.. major needs - major response..

Regardless of how many more coaches are hired or not hired, you can bet that Bielema is going to be more focused and probably more involved than he was last year. I believe that he has already said that he has been targeting year 5 as "the year" in his mind. Well, here we are and on the heels of a disappointing and uncharacteristic end to the 2016 season. The pressure is on. He knows that any hire that he makes, or staff that he retains, are going to have to produce in a big way immediately if he wants to keep his job. I don't think that this year will be one that is put on "cruise control". I expect to see some major changes in the approach beginning with the off season program.
Go Hogs Go!

The Boar War

Quote from: Athog on January 17, 2017, 07:05:01 am
Oh my!!  It is all doom and gloom!! Look at me!! I have the answers. You will be the first in line to kiss his ***! Let's wait and see what kind of product he produces!

Well clearly I won't be first in line.  That lines already formed.  But you're right if he can turn it around I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong to second guess the hire.  All I want is a decent defense.  If he can provide it I have no problems. 

jgphillips3

Remember how Clemson always failed and choked away games under Bowden, who was as close to HDN in inexplicable losses as anyone I have ever seen?  Man, I'm sure glad they didn't hire anyone off that staff as their head coach.  How could anyone on that staff that routinely failed so bad be worth a darn? 

Paul Rhoads has had one, repeat ONE, year on this staff and was a soldier under command of incompetent leadership.  I saw individual skill progression in our secondary.  I'm sorry if some of you didn't.  Now that Rhoads is responsible for the whole scheme, we can finally judge his worth by the end of next season.  In any transistion the first six games might be a little up and down but we'll see what we have in the meat of our schedule next year.

code red

Quote from: HF#1 on January 17, 2017, 08:16:21 am
Yes we got more turnovers and yes we gave up less yardage. But overall we still had one of the crappier defenses in this league and Rhoads was a part of it.
We took crappy to the "National Level"....what are you talking about....LOL....don't cut us short.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 17, 2017, 08:30:05 am
Remember how Clemson always failed and choked away games under Bowden, who was as close to HDN in inexplicable losses as anyone I have ever seen?  Man, I'm sure glad they didn't hire anyone off that staff as their head coach.  How could anyone on that staff that routinely failed so bad be worth a darn? 

Paul Rhoads has had one, repeat ONE, year on this staff and was a soldier under command of incompetent leadership.  I saw individual skill progression in our secondary.  I'm sorry if some of you didn't.  Now that Rhoads is responsible for the whole scheme, we can finally judge his worth by the end of next season.  In any transition the first six games might be a little up and down but we'll see what we have in the meat of our schedule next year.
The secondary was marginally better.  However the injuries did hurt.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LZH

Quote from: Little Lady Back on January 17, 2017, 08:02:07 am
Congrats Coach Rhoads! Now Partridge please...

Preach baby, preach!

I'm OK with Rhoads. I knew nothing about Diaco (sp?). But if I am not mistaken PR is a 4-3 guy and not a 3-4 guy. That sounds like a recipe for a full-on mess. I guess we will see.

Tusks

Too bad the hogs let one of the top recruiters in the country from TX & LB coaches go to OMU.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on January 17, 2017, 08:38:27 am
Too bad the hogs let one of the top recruiters in the country from TX & LB coaches go to OMU.

??
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

Diaco probably recognized that we as a state can't spell Bielema much less pronounce it. He thought, crap, I don't want the hill folk to butcher my name either. Diaco isn't an "easy" name for the hill folk to pronounce like say a "smith", "jones", etc. Hell, we can't even spell Rhoads.

Plus, Nebraska has always had a history of having a bad ace defense. The BLACKSHIRTS. Heck, we are known for wearing pink shirts.

No brainer here.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 07:21:11 am
He's been here a year and I can't ever remember being in on so many highly rated  DB recruits this late in the game.. in discussion yesterday, we said we couldn't take anymore DB's because we had too many in this class.. good players also...somebody must be doing something right this year compared to years past...

BTW.. imo, a great hire.. energy, experience and the DB's were much improved last year, not great but visible improvement..  now if we can fill in the rest of the staff with similar qualities.... probably at least 2 more new coaches to come.
The DB's were not improved.other than Pulley they are terrible. your saying it does not make it true. Collins was about the same. and D.J.Dean and Henre' Toliver,were worse.they were flat out terrible. that's a fact.

LZH

Quote from: AP85 on January 17, 2017, 08:40:00 am
Diaco probably recognized that we as a state can't spell Bielema much less pronounce it. He thought, crap, I don't want the hill folk to butcher my name either. Diaco isn't an "easy" name for the hill folk to pronounce like say a "smith", "jones", etc. Hell, we can't even spell Rhoads.

Plus, Nebraska has always had a history of having a bad ace defense. The BLACKSHIRTS. Heck, we are known for wearing pink shirts.

No brainer here.

Case closed.

Hoggish1

AirWarren

Tusks

Quote from: Wildhog on January 17, 2017, 08:39:31 am
??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Dale_Peveto

LB coach, went from LSU to OMU, from TX, coached on the hill before.

#20 in the nation from this list.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-top-25-recruiters-4

I don't know why CBB doesn't hire a TX recruiter from TX.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on January 17, 2017, 08:35:36 am
Preach baby, preach!

I'm OK with Rhoads. I knew nothing about Diaco (sp?). But if I am not mistaken PR is a 4-3 guy and not a 3-4 guy. That sounds like a recipe for a full-on mess. I guess we will see.

Not true. He's run both 3-4 and 4-3 during his career.

King Kong

Quote from: tusked on January 17, 2017, 09:08:17 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Dale_Peveto

LB coach, went from LSU to OMU, from TX, coached on the hill before.

#20 in the nation from this list.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-top-25-recruiters-4

I don't know why CBB doesn't hire a TX recruiter from TX.

You mean like Clay Jennings?

onebadrubi

Quote from: King Kong on January 17, 2017, 08:18:12 am
Paul Rhoads defensive keeping WV out of the NC on the Road

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/duwFnrE7cbY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A guy could show a clip of Robb Smith's defense keeping Ole Miss out of the SEC title game last year too... Just saying

onebadrubi

Quote from: code red on January 17, 2017, 08:33:37 am
The secondary was marginally better.  However the injuries did hurt.

Just to refresh my memory we had two injuries in the secondary correct?  Richardson and Collins?

onebadrubi

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 08:40:11 am
The DB's were not improved.other than Pulley they are terrible. your saying it does not make it true. Collins was about the same. and D.J.Dean and Henre' Toliver,were worse.they were flat out terrible. that's a fact.

Nothing you EVER say is fact, that's a fact!

JackJohnson

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2017, 09:19:39 am
A guy could show a clip of Robb Smith's defense keeping Ole Miss out of the SEC title game last year too... Just saying

I'm more concerned with what happened a decade ago. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:40:08 am
Nothing but the Band-Aid i feared. this man was part of the worst defense i have ever seen at Arkansas.i hope it works.but i am not counting on it. this is not good in my opinion folks.

Dude shut the hell up!

woodrow hog call

Here is the head coaching record of a guy that is known as a pretty good DC, but not so much as a head coach. Some of you might have heard of him, but you wouldn't want him as our DC, not with a record like that. We need a big name, big splash hire, blah blah blah.

Oh yeah just so you don't have to google it, the record below belongs to guy named MONTE KIFFIN.

1980–1982)
1980   NC State   6–5   3–3   3rd   
1981   NC State   4–7   2–4   5th   
1982   NC State   6–5   3–3   T–3rd   
NC State:   16–17   8–10   
Total:   16–17   
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ricepig

Quote from: The Boar War on January 17, 2017, 08:25:53 am
Well clearly I won't be first in line.  That lines already formed.  But you're right if he can turn it around I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong to second guess the hire.  All I want is a decent defense.  If he can provide it I have no problems. 

You know, it would make sense to see how the product on the field plays, but this is HV, so let's bury the man before he starts his tenure as DC.

ifghog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:40:08 am
Nothing but the Band-Aid i feared. this man was part of the worst defense i have ever seen at Arkansas.i hope it works.but i am not counting on it. this is not good in my opinion folks.
Joe this is a good hire..if we get Partridge I feel very good about the future of the D. I still doubt CBB gets it done here but it won't be due to this hire. This was a good decision.

jkstock04

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 17, 2017, 05:09:47 am
Look at the stats of that '14 D, now look at '16. See? Why is that on the fans?
It's the irony of it. You can't make some of this stuff up:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=582978.100

NOW Paul Rhoads is an "excellent" hire, just like Robb Smith was at one time the best thing since sliced bread...except I don't look at this as a hire, more so a promotion within.

This whole thing is screwy. I expect our defense to improve simply because it's all but inevitable...and Paul Rhoads will be the new hot shiny thing for 2017, just like Robb Smith was at one time.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 17, 2017, 09:09:21 am
Not true. He's run both 3-4 and 4-3 during his career.

Yeah I read it on another thread after I posted that. I didn't know.

It is still hard for me to believe that we have the guys on campus to run a 3-4. But he gets paid the big money and I don't, so I will watch curiously.

King Kong

When we gave up 52 points? Why would someone want to do that?

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 17, 2017, 09:42:20 am
It's the irony of it. You can't make some of this stuff up:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=582978.100

NOW Paul Rhoads is an "excellent" hire, just like Robb Smith was at one time the best thing since sliced bread...except I don't look at this as a hire, more so a promotion within.

This whole thing is screwy. I expect our defense to improve simply because it's all but inevitable...and Paul Rhoads will be the new hot shiny thing for 2017, just like Robb Smith was at one time.

And that's the circle of life for a coach on HV. That's your cue Ponderin.......

Pork Twain

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:43:23 am
No it was not.teams did not have to pass because they ran over us. when they had to pass like Mizzo and others.they did it at will. sorry but you are wrong. this defense was pitiful everywhere.
Who would have been a better hire blowhard?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

hogfan14

Except West Virginia scored 9 points. Ole Miss had 52.

Pig Worshipper

forrest city joe

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2017, 09:22:08 am
Nothing you EVER say is fact, that's a fact!
Wrong. what i posted is fact.and you know it is.this defense was terrible all around.sorry but it was.

Pork Twain

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 09:54:33 am
Wrong. what i posted is fact.and you know it is.this defense was terrible all around.sorry but it was.
I doubt you have ever even uttered a fact out of your trap.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 09:55:55 am
I doubt you have ever even uttered a fact out of your trap.

Well it is a fact that the defense was terrible. js
#NolanRichardsonCourt

ricepig

And how much was directly contributed to Rhoads? The passing defense was improved over 2015, no doubt. Maybe Rhoades didn't want his big men switching on a high screen, but was overruled? Anyway, he's here, bitching about it changes nothing, like switching on a high screen.

hogcard1964

Frankenstein speak:

"Diaco baaaad, Rhoads gooood"

HawgTide

Quote from: JIHawg on January 16, 2017, 11:35:17 pm
He has had a year with these players.  That gives him a tremendous advantage.  He knows the strengths and weaknesses.  He knows the current system.  A new coach would have to start at ground zero.  He is far ahead of anybody else we could bring in.

This guy gets it

onebadrubi

Oh so you are changing what I called not a fact into something obvious to make you feel even better about yourself?

First you say this hire sucks and that is fact.  Now you say you posted a fact and I know this defense WAS terrible.  Well this defense being terrible is fact but has nothing to do with this hire as a DC and you calling this hire to suck being fact.  As a matter of fact, I don't think you post any FACTS, just all hearsay and thought. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: King Kong on January 17, 2017, 09:44:07 am
When we gave up 52 points? Why would someone want to do that?

Just saying, his defense did keep attribute to them not making the title game. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 09:59:19 am
And how much was directly contributed to Rhoads? The passing defense was improved over 2015, no doubt. Maybe Rhoades didn't want his big men switching on a high screen, but was overruled? Anyway, he's here, bitching about it changes nothing, like switching on a high screen.
You can post it all you want. the pass defense was terrile too. teams passed less because they did not have to throw the ball. they were running over our defense. when 3 and 8,Mizzo had to throw it on us.they threw it at will.Pully was the only player that improved and played well. the rest were terrible. that's the truth.i never want to ever see a defense like this at Arkansas again.