Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith: $750,000 next year with $50,000 raises annually

Started by swinesation, December 04, 2014, 06:55:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Robb Smith's salary be raised to?

$600,000
41 (7.8%)
$700,000
119 (22.5%)
$800,000
203 (38.4%)
$900,000
66 (12.5%)
$1,000,000
99 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 523

redeye

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 05, 2015, 09:17:50 pm
CBB in his press conference said all new contracts for his assistant coaches have that clause.

That's great to hear.

Thanks!

MissippHog

As long as he wants to be a DC (and not a HC) I hope he wants to be the DC here.  Keep him happy.  Glad to see he got a raise.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dugann on January 05, 2015, 09:07:18 pm
get what you pay for

Unless your name is Winston and you're getting crablegs.............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Melorock089

Officially he will be the highest paid assistant on staff. Well deserved coach.

hog.goblin

texas tush hog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 05, 2015, 07:46:10 pm
;)
Sounds about like my contract at work.

;)
Not me, if they cut my pension like that, I might have to go back to work.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 05, 2015, 08:20:03 pm
Guys, his 3rd year of the contract he will be making $900k. That ain't bad at all.

$850 not 900.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

texas tush hog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 06, 2015, 09:07:35 am
$850 not 900.

Another year like this one, depending on the buyout, may require reworking it. Jeffy will not be outdone.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

I mean, a 50% raise.  Not bad.

Gives us room to work when he has another big year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Wildhog on January 06, 2015, 09:14:07 am
I mean, a 50% raise.  Not bad.

Gives us room to work when he has another big year.

that's the key. he hasn't even completed 1 full year as DC. his first season was great, but you have to leave room for future raises.

geauxhawgs

Top 10 defense first time since 1996, 2nd time in SEC. He earned it, much deserved. It's hard to not think about what we could've done with a better offense. Probably would've beaten Bama, A&M, and State.

JayBell

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 06, 2015, 09:24:45 amTop 10 defense first time since 1996, 2nd time in SEC. He earned it, much deserved. It's hard to not think about what we could've done with a better offense. Probably would've beaten Bama, A&M, and State.

And Missouri.  Arkansas was a handful of plays away from potentially being 11-2.  That's how good the defense was.  I almost feel bad that the best Arkansas defense I can remember ended up on a 7-6 team.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2015, 08:03:58 pm
Why? It's like Bielema said in the PC, we were a 2-6 conference team, it's what was deserved from that.

I give our coach credit for maintaining perspective when a lot of others haven't.  We've improved but we're nowhere near where we need to be.  If we get there I assume the coaches who make it happen will be compensated accordingly.

Besides, let's see if this year's "success" can be duplicated.  Doing it multiple years with different groups of players is the hallmark of great coaching.

geauxhawgs

Yes, Missouri as well. My bad. Always am forgetting we play them now. Should've won that game easy though. Offense did nothing in the 2nd half. BA should've been pulled.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 09:36:07 am

Besides, let's see if this year's "success" can be duplicated.  Doing it multiple years with different groups of players is the hallmark of great coaching.

BINGO

Youngsta71701

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 09:36:07 am
I give our coach credit for maintaining perspective when a lot of others haven't.  We've improved but we're nowhere near where we need to be.  If we get there I assume the coaches who make it happen will be compensated accordingly.

Our defense wasn't the reason we were just 2-6 in conference play. Hint Hint ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

rzrbk4life

Worth every penny. Looking forward to seeing how are defense is in year 2 with him
Let's call those hogs!!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 06, 2015, 09:50:19 am
Our defense wasn't the reason we were just 2-6 in conference play. Hint Hint ???

They are part of the team.  The entire team wins and loses together.  Was the defense dominant in the LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas games?  Yes, definitely.  Were they dominant against Auburn, A&M, and Georgia...or even Texas Tech?  Those games were part of the season and the team's success/lack thereof also. 

Besides, he was given a substantial raise that acknowledges the job he did this year.

longpig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 05, 2015, 06:45:12 pm
I think this is very reasonable in today's market.  Good bump for what he accomplished but leaves room for further reward/bumps if he keeps improving.  Also like the non-compete.
I assume there's a buyout, as well, any mention how much?
Don't be scared, be smart.

swinesation

Hope the defense is as good next year without Flowers, Spaight, and maybe Philon!

JayBell

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 10:05:54 amThey are part of the team.  The entire team wins and loses together.  Was the defense dominant in the LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas games?  Yes, definitely.  Were they dominant against Auburn, A&M, and Georgia...or even Texas Tech?  Those games were part of the season and the team's success/lack thereof also.

A&M and Tech were earlier in the season, but yes, the defense played great those games.  The defense catches way too much hell for the debacle against A&M.  No team can expect to play the defense for so much of the second half and expect it to hold up against decent offense.  It's like giving the offense credit for points scored by the defense.

The defense did its job that game, just like it did in most games.  They held the Aggies to 14 points through three quarters.  If Skipper doesn't trip the defensive player and the offense does anything at all to help in the second half, Arkansas wins that game.

PaintballHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 05, 2015, 08:02:15 pm
wish it was more . compared to what the rest of the SEC  is starting to pay the high end guys, this isn't enough . the big boys are paying 1 million +. we need to be in that group to keep him

Most of those other guys have rings tho. If Smith keeps us at or improves us from 10th in total defense the next two years. I agree with 1 million or more.  :razorback:

hawgmasta

That's awesome and it's a very competitive salary for his first year. The most impressive part is our defense got better as the year went on; that's the sign of a good coach who adjusted and learned how his players matched his system.

Nosboar Accubond

I think they landed in a good spot. Reward Coach Smith for his performance, but also remember this is just his first year.

Now crank out some more Top 20 or Top 10 defenses for a year or two and I see it jumping over $1M easily...

WPS

EastexHawg

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2015, 12:46:57 pm
A&M and Tech were earlier in the season, but yes, the defense played great those games.

We surrendered 523 yards and lost despite scoring 28 points against A&M.  Maybe your definition of great/dominant is different from mine.

We gave up 459 against Mississippi State and 423 to Missouri.  Those weren't terrible numbers, but they weren't dominant.  Of course it's harder to hold good teams with decent QBs down, but conversely it's easier to play lights out against teams like LSU and Texas with QBs who stink and offer little to no vertical...or horizontal, for that matter...threat.

Coach Smith did a good job.  I think a raise of $250,000 is appropriate after one year.

JayBell

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 02:01:54 pmWe surrendered 523 yards and lost despite scoring 28 points against A&M.  Maybe your definition of great/dominant is different from mine.

We gave up 459 against Mississippi State and 423 to Missouri.  Those weren't terrible numbers, but they weren't dominant.  Of course it's harder to hold good teams with decent QBs down, but conversely it's easier to play lights out against teams like LSU and Texas with QBs who stink and offer little to no vertical...or horizontal, for that matter...threat.

The offense scored a grand total of 7 points in the second halves against A&M, State and Missouri, combined.  You can't hang your defense out to dry like that.  Missouri actually had the ball for five more minutes than Arkansas.

Every defense wears down the longer the game goes on, except teams that Arkansas played this year.  I guess my opinion is that the defense played great in those games, considering the circumstances.  They made big play after big play, and the offense gave them nothing.

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 02:01:54 pmCoach Smith did a good job.  I think a raise of $250,000 is appropriate after one year.

So do I.

Hogs-n-Roses

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2015, 10:05:54 am
They are part of the team.  The entire team wins and loses together.  Was the defense dominant in the LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas games?  Yes, definitely.  Were they dominant against Auburn, A&M, and Georgia...or even Texas Tech?  Those games were part of the season and the team's success/lack thereof also. 

Besides, he was given a substantial raise that acknowledges the job he did this year.
The fact is that the defense improved greatly in the 2nd half of the season, holding nearly every team we faced well under their average ppg on the season. The offense was inconsistent, and did not show any improvement, or even the same level of play, in the Mizzou game that it had achieve in earlier wins. Missouri's defense, BA's injury, all are factors. But at the point when we faced them in the season, Ole Miss's defense was ranked higher that Mizzou's, and we brought our back up in and still moved the ball against them.

Bottom line: There is always room for improvement, but the offense, particularly the passing offense, has exponentially more ground to make up than the defense. Our passing offense was ranked 100th on the season, and that's not a reflection of an unbalanced offense (we were a 60/40 run/pass team). It's a reflection more of the ineptitude of our passing game.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Augustus

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 05, 2015, 09:17:50 pm

Someone mentioned on another board that it also included a non-compete clause for SEC teams.  Anyone else heard that?

CBB in his press conference said all new contracts for his assistant coaches have that clause.

Yes, but the SEC non-compete clause for our Asst Coaches is for "lateral moves" only.

So... if Vanderbilt (or any SEC school) wanted to hire Robb Smith as their next Head Coach, the non-compete would not apply