Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Posters piling on during a down year.

Started by dsims2k3, January 29, 2016, 11:49:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 01:47:33 pm
I'm not jealous of football. I actually love our football program and coach. I take a lot of heat over CBB than I do CMA from the casual fan but I take that as a good thing as CBB does his best to get the name out there. I also beleive we are headed in the right direction. I know less about coaching football so at times I get more frustrated with CBB more out of a lack of knowledge I would presume than anything. I don't agree with some of his decisions in games but that doesn't mean I don't block out my saturdays or make sure to record the game if I can't watch it live.

However, none of that takes away from the culture and what's "acceptable" between the two programs. No matter the reason it doesn't take much sense to see that the casual football fan is okay with a slightly better than .500 season, just as long as we make a bowl and we win it. That seems to always settle the fan base down and give them something to dream and hold on to till the season starts next year. I think CBB will do great, and I HOPE we get to a BCS bowl or even better. You'd be lying if you said the expectations for basketball and football are the same, and the amount of money given for assistants is nowhere close. I am not saying our assisstants deserve more money, and I don't think until forced CMA will make a change. But if he is forced idk that he gets the type of bankroll CBB has gotten.

They shouldn't be the same.  It has nothing to do with who the head coaches are.  Why do some of you have an issue with it?  Accept the reality of competing in the SEC in football for Arkansas compared to competing in basketball.  The situations are so vastly different.  No reason to be jealous that football is a more popular sport. 

You pay market value for the assistant coaches you want.  I wouldn't expect to pay basketball assistants what Bielema has to for assistants in competing in SEC football. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ke2743

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 12:30:03 pm
FIVE years, FIVE recruiting classes. IT is not like people are criticizing him after 1 season or 1 game. He has now coached over 150 games as the Hog HC and we are still hearing " Help is coming " or " wait until he has time to get his players here".

I just wish some of you would be honest and admit you don't care if they win at all as long as Mike roams to sideline.

I have nothing against MA personally, i have never met him, he just does not win enough games. Now we are being told to just wait til next year or the next, and if next year turns out poor we will be told that 2018 will be the year.

I said it before he was hired. if you want a guy who will have you around the bubble for the ncaat half the time, safely in the ncaat now and then, maybe making a sweet 16 run,  and then have a couple years like this one, Mike is your guy. However, if that is your expectation for the program, you already had that guy, TWICE in Stan and Pel. 

Bam!!  That hammer hit the nail, right on top.

Pork Twain

Every time a person compares football to basketball, JLS smiles...

Uncomparable.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=334691.msg4937867#msg4937867

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:27:22 pm
There seem to be a big issue with posters bickering and arguing in Jump Ball. Maybe this is because everyone has different expectations of the basketball program. I expect us to be a perennial SEC west power. Winning the West at least every two to three years. We should be second to only Kentucky in overall SEC basketball tradition, therefore the two teams should be very competitive when playing each other. BWA should an intimidating arena every game. These are just MY opinions, nothing more. Its not important to me right now if Pel can put it all  together. I would just like to know what you expect from this program.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:39:06 pm
I feel you on that. We are a legit enough program to make the big dance perennially. We have the facilities at least.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:47:18 pm
Arkansas should be a top 25 program 3 out of 4 years if not every year. That isnt a stretch.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 21, 2010, 09:43:28 pm
Every team has a a down year...that is true. However there is a thin line between the "realistic expectations" (15-20 wins assumption)  and apathy. Here is one reason why many people (including myself) has "high" expectations (SEC west, 18,000+ attendance, top 25 appearances, Consistentent NCAA tourneys, etc.) Read: From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/48712-the-real-prestige-rankings-introduction-and-outline

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 01:53:33 pm
They shouldn't be the same.  It has nothing to do with who the head coaches are.  Why do some of you have an issue with it?  Accept the reality of competing in the SEC in football for Arkansas compared to competing in basketball.  The situations are so vastly different.  No reason to be jealous that football is a more popular sport. 

You pay market value for the assistant coaches you want.  I wouldn't expect to pay basketball assistants what Bielema has to for assistants in competing in SEC football.
If you are satisfied with finishing no better than 4th in the SEC year after year in football you are welcomed to it. If you expectations are that low then so be it........

Sound familiar. You keep throwing out market value as it pertains to SEC football. We play Kentucky every year in basketball. If you want to compete with them you have to spend with them. The same argument was made by CBB in regards to beating and playing with Bama. We haven't been able to beat them or TAMU but that doesn't stop us from spending money.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:04:44 pm
If you are satisfied with finishing no better than 4th in the SEC year after year in football you are welcomed to it. If you expectations are that low then so be it........

Sound familiar. You keep throwing out market value as it pertains to SEC football. We play Kentucky every year in basketball. If you want to compete with them you have to spend with them. The same argument was made by CBB in regards to beating and playing with Bama. We haven't been able to beat them or TAMU but that doesn't stop us from spending money.

I haven't given you my expectations for football.  They are different from basketball because the two programs are in very different situations. 

It isn't the same.  We have to beat Bama(or the top team in the West for that season) either on the field or at least in the standings to achieve the goal of getting to play for an SECCH which is necessary for us to make the playoffs unless there was some very extraordinary circumstances.

We don't have to beat UK.  Don't have to beat them in the standings.  UK is hurting us in recruiting.  But on the court, it doesn't matter what UK does as long as they don't beat us in the NCAAT.  We don't have to beat UK.  Mike didn't beat KU very often including losing to them in his E8 season.  One program in your conference doesn't stand in your way in college basketball like it can in football(where we actually have more to climb over and fight with at a disadvantage).  This is just one of the many ways they differ.  Our NC bask team and runnerup had losses to UK.  Would have been nice to win all of those epic games but they didn't stand in the way of our ultimate achievements.  I'll add, as long as we would stop losing recruits to UK, it is good for us and the SEC for UK to be great in basketball.  We need more programs to rise up as long as we are one of them. 

In most every season, the postseason goals are very much alive in college basketball if a team finishes 4th in its conference.  Now the SEC isn't very strong so the seeding may not be great.  But you will still be in it.  In SEC football, it gets you a warm weather, dome/quality stadium bowl. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:04:44 pm

Because fielding a basketball team from Pel to MA is exactly the same as fielding a football team from BP to JLS to BB.  There is so much wrong with that line of thinking.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 02:09:50 pm
I haven't given you my expectations for football.  They are different from basketball because the two programs are in very different situations. 

It isn't the same.  We have to beat Bama(or the top team in the West for that season) either on the field or at least in the standings to achieve the goal of getting to play for an SECCH which is necessary for us to make the playoffs unless there was some very extraordinary circumstances.

We don't have to beat UK.  Don't have to beat them in the standings.  UK is hurting us in recruiting.  But on the court, it doesn't matter what UK does as long as they don't beat us in the NCAAT.  We don't have to beat UK.  Mike didn't beat KU very often including losing to them in his E8 season.  One program in your conference doesn't stand in your way in college basketball like it can in football(where we actually have more to climb over and fight with at a disadvantage).  This is just one of the many ways they differ.  Our NC bask team and runnerup had losses to UK.  Would have been nice to win all of those epic games but they didn't stand in the way of our ultimate achievements.
Winning the SECT means automatic birth in the NCAA. So I would say beating UK is important. In football Bama didn't keep Ole Miss out of the tourney even tho they won. We did. So no one team keeps you out of the SECG either. So they aren't different in that aspect. Sure there's no tournament so it's different there.

Basically they are different because you want them to be. The end goal is the same and that's a national championship. I was just reading back at posts and a number of posters talked about how we should be in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 9 out of every 10 years. That's some pretty lofty expectations when I turn around and read some of the things he expects for football.

People claim CMA is a top 25 paid basketball coach so we should be one. Well CBB is a top 20 paid football coach so should he not also be performing like one on the field? Losses to Toledo sure don't help that. We can talk about winning in the SEC in football but we lost to a MAC school and a mid level Big 12 school. We want to blame CMA for transfers and guys leaving early. Well Philon left early and he could have helped our pass rush, but no one jumped on him about it. We had a mass amount of injuries to our WR and RB, but no one is upset that we didn't recruit and sign enough impact RBs and WRs. Heck to date we only have one committed and we are supposed to be a RB dream system.

So you can say they aren't comparible, but that's just because it doesn't fit some narratives that people want pushed. That's fine, but both coaches get paid good money to not just win, but win big. CMA won 27 games last year and you can go back and read all the comments from people complaining the whole season saying we won't make the tourney, we will but we suck, or well we will just lose in the first weekend and should be at minimum playing in the second weekend. So don't tell me expectations are higher in one place than the other. Football has been more successful in the recent years than basketball yet basketball is expected to achieve greater things faster. God bless our fanbase.

Also in the SEC you  can finish last in the SECW and get a warm weather/dome bowl game. Making a post-season tourney in basketball is much much harder.

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 29, 2016, 02:15:35 pm
Because fielding a basketball team from Pel to MA is exactly the same as fielding a football team from BP to JLS to BB.  There is so much wrong with that line of thinking.
Is it? I would equate Pel to JLS, so CMA didn't get a BP. You've tried to claim that Pel and CMA ran similar systems and in the same sentence said something along the lines of, well Pel tried but never materialized.

CBB's style with Chaney was different, defense not so much. However with Enos we threw a little more, however we played more under center than CBP did. The focus on recruiting was different, but again it wasn't like CBP recruits flamed out and were never successful for CBB. Some of our best defenders were from CBP.

No matter the coach, no matter the sport coaching changes are never going to be the same. But coaches have to play the hands they are dealt and make it happen. You don't pay a guy top 20 in football and exepct to see him losing to Toledo, TTU, or TAMU for three years in a row and then beating LSU. You want to say CMA needs to produce like a top 20 coach, well shouldn't CBB? Let me guess, how much you pay a coach in football doesn't equate to what their expactations should be, but in basketball it does.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:21:13 pm
Winning the SECT means automatic birth in the NCAA. So I would say beating UK is important. In football Bama didn't keep Ole Miss out of the tourney even tho they won. We did. So no one team keeps you out of the SECG either. So they aren't different in that aspect. Sure there's no tournament so it's different there.

Basically they are different because you want them to be. The end goal is the same and that's a national championship. I was just reading back at posts and a number of posters talked about how we should be in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 9 out of every 10 years. That's some pretty lofty expectations when I turn around and read some of the things he expects for football.

People claim CMA is a top 25 paid basketball coach so we should be one. Well CBB is a top 20 paid football coach so should he not also be performing like one on the field? Losses to Toledo sure don't help that. We can talk about winning in the SEC in football but we lost to a MAC school and a mid level Big 12 school. We want to blame CMA for transfers and guys leaving early. Well Philon left early and he could have helped our pass rush, but no one jumped on him about it. We had a mass amount of injuries to our WR and RB, but no one is upset that we didn't recruit and sign enough impact RBs and WRs. Heck to date we only have one committed and we are supposed to be a RB dream system.

So you can say they aren't comparible, but that's just because it doesn't fit some narratives that people want pushed. That's fine, but both coaches get paid good money to not just win, but win big. CMA won 27 games last year and you can go back and read all the comments from people complaining the whole season saying we won't make the tourney, we will but we suck, or well we will just lose in the first weekend and should be at minimum playing in the second weekend. So don't tell me expectations are higher in one place than the other. Football has been more successful in the recent years than basketball yet basketball is expected to achieve greater things faster. God bless our fanbase.

Who gives a darn about the SECT except a desperate team?  Two of our SECT opponents didn't last season.  Our 94 and 95 teams didn't win it.  94 team didn't even make the SECT finals. 

Bama finished ahead of OM in the standings. 

They are different because they are different. 

I'm not telling you they are higher.  They are different. 

Your second paragraph again goes back to jealousy.  Bielema caught hell for those early season losses.  Fans may not have gotten on Bielema for Philon leaving early but the departures from the D were often ignored when fans were dreaming before the season.  This idea that Anderson catches more unfair criticism is childish and stupid. 

Greater things faster?  Faster than what?  5 years?  6 years? 

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:21:13 pm
Football has been more successful in the recent years than basketball yet basketball is expected to achieve greater things faster. God bless our fanbase.

Also in the SEC you  can finish last in the SECW and get a warm weather/dome bowl game. Making a post-season tourney in basketball is much much harder.

No, last in the secw got a team a trip to Shreveport I believe.

Can you make the playoff in football winning 67% of your games? Can you make a NY6 bowl doing that?

And just where are all these posts where people are saying the team should be sweet16 or better 9 out of 10 seasons.

In football, for most programs the 1st goal is make a bowl. In basketball its make the ncaat. one has done that 2 out of 3 seasons, the other is very likely going to have done it once in 5.

Then lets not forget the recruiting. BB went into FLA his very 1st class and got 2 players who are going to make a lot of money in the nfl, plus HH Dan Skipper and a couple others. And that was in a 6 week stretch to recruit after he took the job to a program that just went 4-8.  This year he has a commitment from the top RB in Texas, and has a shot at also getting the top WR in Texas when NSD happens next Wed. How many NBA players has Mike signed, heck I'll let you use his entire HC career and count Qualls.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 01:41:28 pm
Oh wow! You must not read much. If you are that confused not sure I can even try to help you.

But knowing your post history, I'd imagine you are pretty savy with that search feature......If not have ATL help you out.

You made the claim. I thought maybe you'd actually have some substance to go with the drama you're serving in this thread.

Guess not.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Deep Shoat

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 01:38:54 pm
Ahhhh now I see what I'm dealing with. At first I thought you were just a misinformed poster. Now I realize not only are you unaware of some facts, but you have very little basketball knowledge, and there may be another issue built into this that I'd rather not touch. Continue with your bull and i will watch from the side.
You and your subliminal accusation of racism are offensive.  As to the idea that I have "very little basketball knowledge", that's laughable.  I've been watching, coaching, and playing basketball longer than most of you have been alive.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 01:35:22 pm
Dear god you must have an immense amount of time to just search through old posts. It's kind of creepy and has a HA tone to it yet again. Brothers maybe?

Hogville allows for its users to search through the post history of others. What's wrong with holding someone accountable for what they say? It makes it easy to separate the pot-stirrers from everyone else.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogsanity

I still just do not get the undying devotion to Mike Anderson that some have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

Its not unusual for fans to be unhappy with a coach with one NCAAT in 5 years...

Rick Barnes was attacked much harder at Texas for 15 NCAAT's in 16 years.... 

Ben Howland hammered for 7 NCAATs in 10 years with 3 Final Fours

Billy Gillespie ran out of Kentucky in 2 years with 1 NCAAT

The list goes on and on and on....  No only does MA get a free pass, most of you guys want to eliminate free speech of comments on him.
SEC!

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 29, 2016, 02:40:32 pm
You made the claim. I thought maybe you'd actually have substance to go with the drama you're serving in this thread.
If I could learn how to quote something from another thread into this one I would. There was a post back in april or may and in that thread posters stated that we should be in the second weekend of the NCAAT almost every year, something like 9/10 times. A number of posters then stated they agreed. Second weekend would be sweet 16 and Elite 8. I'd say those are pretty high epxectations.

intelligence

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 29, 2016, 02:43:39 pm
Its not unusual for fans to be unhappy with a coach with one NCAAT in 5 years...

The list goes on and on and on....  No only does MA get a free pass, most of you guys want to eliminate free speech of comments on him.

The Kentucky Troll raises a good point. of course, with how far we've fallen, our best bet may be to wait it out and hope MA can get us over the hump. We're not Texas, UCLA, or Kentucky. we were in that company at one point, but those days are long gone.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:46:09 pm
If I could learn how to quote something from another thread into this one I would. There was a post back in april or may and in that thread posters stated that we should be in the second weekend of the NCAAT almost every year, something like 9/10 times. A number of posters then stated they agreed. Second weekend would be sweet 16 and Elite 8. I'd say those are pretty high epxectations.

5+ years on this board, and 7k+ posts...and you can't figure out how to copy & paste?

azhog10

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 29, 2016, 02:40:23 pm
You and your subliminal accusation of racism are offensive.  As to the idea that I have "very little basketball knowledge", that's laughable.  I've been watching, coaching, and playing basketball longer than most of you have been alive.
Oh wow, wasn't trying to imply racism. I'm sorry that was the first thing that came to your mind. I was thinking more along the lines of distaste for NR. But you know what they say.......

jboler96

Mediocre north carolina team! Lolz never can make everyone happy

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 29, 2016, 02:47:06 pm
5+ years on this board, and 7k+ posts...and you can't figure out how to copy & paste?
I can copy past a thread link. But I have not dabbled into learning how to post a quote from another thread into this one. Not sure if it's my web browser or I'm too computer stupid to figure it out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 02:41:37 pm

You know some of the reasons for it.  Nolan love and devotion, righting the perceived wrong Nolan suffered, Hawg Ball style obsession, at least 9 years spent pining for and campaigning for Anderson to be coach and then some other reasons that will get into an area where the p.c. police will be on alert   We know he wasn't just a coach hired to do a job and to be evaluated as such. 

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 12:30:03 pm
FIVE years, FIVE recruiting classes. IT is not like people are criticizing him after 1 season or 1 game. He has now coached over 150 games as the Hog HC and we are still hearing " Help is coming " or " wait until he has time to get his players here".

I just wish some of you would be honest and admit you don't care if they win at all as long as Mike roams to sideline.

I have nothing against MA personally, i have never met him, he just does not win enough games. Now we are being told to just wait til next year or the next, and if next year turns out poor we will be told that 2018 will be the year.

I said it before he was hired. if you want a guy who will have you around the bubble for the ncaat half the time, safely in the ncaat now and then, maybe making a sweet 16 run,  and then have a couple years like this one, Mike is your guy. However, if that is your expectation for the program, you already had that guy, TWICE in Stan and Pel.

Funny because I brought up the "help is coming" earlier today to illustrate that we AREN'T hearing that.  What we are hearing is that this team needs to improve, that coach believes in them and ultimately understands that this is his team.  We should be better with more quality players, but we aren't looking at any new recruit as some Portis-like savior. 

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 29, 2016, 02:43:39 pm

I've said this time and time again. CMA deserves any and all criticism as it pertains to the recruiting class. But to be able to produce the way he has with this roster is impressive. Those that don't want to accept that and point back to it being his roster, I get that. But it doesn't mean that he is a poor coach. He was a poor recruiter this last offseason, but as it stands today has a very solid class coming in and I am sure will add at least one more in the next signing period. CMA doesn't get a free pass and the criticism on the lack of depth and talent is absolutely free game.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: intelligence on January 29, 2016, 02:44:32 pm
The Kentucky Troll raises a good point. of course, with how far we've fallen, our best bet may be to wait it out and hope MA can get us over the hump. We're not Texas, UCLA, or Kentucky. we were in that company at one point, but those days are long gone.
It is the best option.  Both because it is the only option feasible and it is the only option available. 

Only feasible because no one wants to coach here after the Heath/Pel fiasco.  We can only hope CMA continues the good work he has done on APR and the drug culture (although this one may not be THAT good).

Only available because he is going to get at least 5 more years, unless he gets caught paying a volleyball coach for sex.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ke2743

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 02:41:37 pm

When he first came here I was more than excited.  That ship has sailed.  He's just not the man for the job here.  I'm just not sure who we could get to come here without breaking the bank.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 02:49:41 pm
You know some of the reasons for it.  Nolan love and devotion, righting the perceived wrong Nolan suffered, Hawg Ball style obsession, at least 9 years spent pining for and campaigning for Anderson to be coach and then some other reasons that will get into an area where the p.c. police will be on alert   We know he wasn't just a coach hired to do a job and to be evaluated as such.
Just curious does anyone on this board have any idea who the coaches were that were interviewed or looked at? Obviously we have the "hogville" list. But does anyone actually know? Just curious bc you insinuate that CMA wasn't hired based on what he actually accomplished as a coach and instead some other reason. So I'm just curious who else we said "no thanks" to and went with CMA instead.......

dsims2k3

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 02:03:25 pm

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=334691.msg4937867#msg4937867
Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:27:22 pm
There seem to be a big issue with posters bickering and arguing in Jump Ball. Maybe this is because everyone has different expectations of the basketball program. I expect us to be a perennial SEC west power. Winning the West at least every two to three years. We should be second to only Kentucky in overall SEC basketball tradition, therefore the two teams should be very competitive when playing each other. BWA should an intimidating arena every game. These are just MY opinions, nothing more. Its not important to me right now if Pel can put it all  together. I would just like to know what you expect from this program.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:39:06 pm
I feel you on that. We are a legit enough program to make the big dance perennially. We have the facilities at least.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 20, 2010, 09:47:18 pm
Arkansas should be a top 25 program 3 out of 4 years if not every year. That isnt a stretch.

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 21, 2010, 09:43:28 pm
Every team has a a down year...that is true. However there is a thin line between the "realistic expectations" (15-20 wins assumption)  and apathy. Here is one reason why many people (including myself) has "high" expectations (SEC west, 18,000+ attendance, top 25 appearances, Consistentent NCAA tourneys, etc.) Read: From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/48712-the-real-prestige-rankings-introduction-and-outline

I can own mine. And I Still have those expectations, as with many other fans. I just handle my disappointment differently. I also appreciate the process, there are no shortcuts being taken. Otherwise, our record would be much worse.
I also believe that we have the right coach to get it done. Just imagine if things went as planned from last year. We would be a top 15 team to say the least. That is evident with all the close games we've had. This team would have been folded under previous leadership. We no longer have a Sun Belt roster. We are no longer losing to MEAC teams. We could easily be 16-4 by taking the weak scheduling route.     
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:54:28 pm
Just curious does anyone on this board have any idea who the coaches were that were interviewed or looked at? Obviously we have the "hogville" list. But does anyone actually know? Just curious bc you insinuate that CMA wasn't hired based on what he actually accomplished as a coach and instead some other reason. So I'm just curious who else we said "no thanks" to and went with CMA instead.......

I didn't insinuate anything regarding his hiring.  I have STATED many times he was more than qualified for our job - more than the last two - and more accomplished than even Sutton and Nolan before they arrived unless you factor in Nolan's NIT in the smaller NCAAT field era. 

We had no choice but to hire Anderson. 

My reply to sanity had nothing to do with why Anderson was hired.  It was regarding the devotion for him from some fans. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 29, 2016, 02:53:33 pm

I can own mine. And I Still have those expectations, as with many other fans. I just handle my disappointment differently. I also appreciate the process, there are no shortcuts being taken. Otherwise, our record would be much worse.
I also believe that we have the right coach to get it done. Just imagine if things went as planned from last year. We would be a top 15 team to say the least. That is evident with all the close games we've had. This team would have been folded under previous leadership. We no longer have a Sun Belt roster. We are no longer losing to MEAC teams. We could easily be 16-4 by taking the weak scheduling route.   

You had no problem piling on then and using a coach's success elsewhere in your piling on.  But based on your OP now you want the piling on to be held to a minimum.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 02:54:28 pm

No way to know if it can be proven, but I seriously doubt any other coach was looked at. I think the plan was to keep Pel UNLESS they could get CMA signed sealed and delivered. Again, just my opinion. I do not remember hearing any media reports of anyone else interviewing.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 02:56:34 pm
I didn't insinuate anything regarding his hiring.  I have STATED many times he was more than qualified for our job - more than the last two - and more accomplished than even Sutton and Nolan before they arrived unless you factor in Nolan's NIT in the smaller NCAAT field era. 

We had no choice but to hire Anderson. 

My reply to sanity had nothing to do with why Anderson was hired.  It was regarding the devotion for him from some fans.
Just curious what you meant by the ramble that came before "We know he wasn't just a coach hired to do a job". Is that APR? What was he hired for?

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 02:58:14 pm
No way to know if it can be proven, but I seriously doubt any other coach was looked at. I think the plan was to keep Pel UNLESS they could get CMA signed sealed and delivered. Again, just my opinion. I do not remember hearing any media reports of anyone else interviewing.
I would imagine they would have to interview someone.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 03:01:45 pm
I would imagine they would have to interview someone.

Why? Maybe he was the only interview.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 02:58:55 pm
You had no problem piling on then and using a coach's success elsewhere in your piling on.  But based on your OP now you want the piling on to be held to a minimum.

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

Imagine the fit you would be throwing if those were the numbers CMA racked up in the SEC from years 1-4.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 03:01:27 pm
Just curious what you meant by the ramble that came before "We know he wasn't just a coach hired to do a job". Is that APR? What was he hired for?

For being Mike Anderson.  Closure, reparations, demands

You like to try and make football parallels, this hiring was personal like the one we made late Fall 1997 in football.  That campaign was much shorter by his supporters.  But it was still personal.  We are not just discussing a professional coach hired to do a job.  We are discussing a coach that is personal to many.  You have a personal connection to the staff. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 29, 2016, 03:03:19 pm
9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

Imagine the fit you would be throwing if those were the numbers CMA racked up in the SEC from years 1-4.

I'm not throwing a fit. 

Conference numbers mean nothing to me except how they may relate to making the NCAAT and the seeding earned.  I know others focus on it and say that conf standings and championships matter.  I don't really care.  The NCAAT matters.

Pelphrey deserved the criticism.  Not the personal attacks against him or his family(which Mike has not endured from what I have seen).  But he wasn't qualified for the job and it showed.  Felt almost like an interim situation.  In those numbers, they reflect failure in the bigger picture of making the NCAAT. 

Nice attempt to deflect away from you admonishing fans for doing the very thing you once did. 

hogsanity

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 29, 2016, 03:03:19 pm
9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

end result is going to be the same, 1 ncaat appearance.

Some of you don't want to admit that college basketball is ALL about the ncaat. It is all 95% of college basketball fans care about. If you are in a power 5 league you are either in the field of 68 announced on selection Sunday or your season was a bust, period, end of story. When you only make it once in 5 years, you have failed, MISERABLY.

Oh sure, hard core fans of those teams try to excuse it away, but most of the excuses here are for the COACH.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 03:13:02 pm
end result is going to be the same, 1 ncaat appearance.

Some of you don't want to admit that college basketball is ALL about the ncaat. It is all 95% of college basketball fans care about. If you are in a power 5 league you are either in the field of 68 announced on selection Sunday or your season was a bust, period, end of story. When you only make it once in 5 years, you have failed, MISERABLY.

Oh sure, hard core fans of those teams try to excuse it away, but most of the excuses here are for the COACH.
DING DING DING DING!!

In college BB nothing else matters.
All Gas, No Brakes!

wheelspigharvey

Some folks think Mike is so behind the 8-ball now that in their eyes he can't ever recover.  He would have to have a really long career for some of you guys to forget we were irrelevant for his first two to three seasons.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 29, 2016, 03:26:38 pm
Some folks think Mike is so behind the 8-ball now that in their eyes he can't ever recover.  He would have to have a really long career for some of you guys to forget we were irrelevant for his first two to three seasons.

I just know that countless times his 1st 3 years we were told " just wait until he gets all his players" even early last year when they lost at ISu and ant Clemson we heard it. Now, the 1st roster made up entirely of players he signed, they could very well have a record as bad or worse than his 1st season here. No recruiting restrictions, no apr problems, no holdover players that he did not recruit or sign. This season is what we were told to wait for, ALL HIS.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 03:06:55 pm
For being Mike Anderson.  Closure, reparations, demands

You like to try and make football parallels, this hiring was personal like the one we made late Fall 1997 in football.  That campaign was much shorter by his supporters.  But it was still personal.  We are not just discussing a professional coach hired to do a job.  We are discussing a coach that is personal to many.  You have a personal connection to the staff.
A note to Jeff Long after the BP fiasco seemed to make hiring CBB a little personal.....

BRHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 03:29:37 pm
I just know that countless times his 1st 3 years we were told " just wait until he gets all his players" even early last year when they lost at ISu and ant Clemson we heard it. Now, the 1st roster made up entirely of players he signed, they could very well have a record as bad or worse than his 1st season here. No recruiting restrictions, no apr problems, no holdover players that he did not recruit or sign. This season is what we were told to wait for, ALL HIS.

The excuses for the roster this season are pretty well documented.  The good news, is this season isn't over yet.

I think that the people that said "just wait until he gets his players" were also wrong.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 02:35:39 pm

And just where are all these posts where people are saying the team should be sweet16 or better 9 out of 10 seasons.

Here's a thread with some claiming 9 of 10 sweet 16 or better.....
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=593058.0

sage_dragoon

I love coach. I just wish he'd pronounce fatigue correctly  :P :D :razorback: :razorback:
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

azhog10

I just know countless times during his 27 win season it was "CMA can't coach", "We can't win an SEC game on the road", "No way we make the NCAAT", "My issue with mike is he won't adjust and continues to press the whole game", "we can't make free throws", or "we can't rebound". Yet how many times if you've ever coached a team (outside of boys and girls club) have you gotten on your players about not blocking out, or not concentrating and going through a routine when they shoot their free throws? Yet on hogville that's Andersons fault and the reason why you don't like his "style" of basketball.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 29, 2016, 03:38:21 pm
Here's a thread with some claiming 9 of 10 sweet 16 or better.....
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=593058.0

I guess you are right SIX is a A number. Thats what I counted in that thread saying that about 9 out of 10 years, and they were saying that from that point, after last seaso, forward.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 03:44:20 pm
I guess you are right SIX is a A number. Thats what I counted in that thread saying that about 9 out of 10 years, and they were saying that from that point, after last seaso, forward.
I don't disagree. I said there are some that have very high expecations. That's in that thread alone. Are there others? Maybe. Not gonna spend all day looking.

wheelspigharvey

Who said we would be a program that could lose 4/5 of a starting rotation, lost the other 1/5 to a suspension, lose a projected starter to a suspension, and be back with the exact same W-L the very next season within half a decade?  I would freaking LOVE for you to show me those posts because that's where we are, that's the reality.   

Please tell me what you're having for lunch 1/29/2021 while you're at it.