Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 44 THREAD: #14 Arkansas (33-10, 12-6 SEC) vs Ole Miss (25-16, 9-9 SEC)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, April 26, 2017, 06:43:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

#14 ARKANSAS vs OLE MISS
at BAUM STADIUM, Fayetteville, Ar.  THURSDAY at 6:00pm

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2017 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 44 THREAD
   #14 ARKANSAS (33-10, 12-6 SEC) vs  OLE MISS (25-16, 9-9 SEC)

This is game 1 of a 3 game SEC series with the Ole Miss Rebels.
All time Series: Arkansas leads 45-40

THURSDAY's First Pitch is set for 6:00pm and WILL BE TELEVISED on the SEC NETWORK. This game will NOT be streamed live online on SECNetwork+. Game #2 on Friday will also be televised on the SEC Network with Saturday's Game #3 being streamed live online on SECNetwork+ only.

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, , Maddhog, Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, ucahogfan, will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

:razorback:

TIME TO CALL THE HOGS!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

With a strong chance of storms over the next several days, will we will need to watch the weather forecasts closely and keep an eye out for game time AND day changes.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ARKANSAS SERIES PREVIEW: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-back-at-baum-for-premier-series-with-rebels/#sm.00001jlujzxeida2yt42hd3mnux32

ARKANSAS SERIES NOTEShttp://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Ole-Miss-Notes.pdf

ARKANSAS SEASON STATS:  http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/teamcume-15.htm

OLE MISS SERIES PREVIEW: http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/042617aab.html

OLE MISS SERIES NOTEShttp://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ole/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170426aaa.pdf

OLE MISS SEASON STATS:  http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html

2017 STATS
                                      OFFENSE
              OLE MISS                                ARKANSAS
.246............................. Batting Avg...................................  .294
.367.............................Slugging Pct...................................  .457
.336.............................On-Base Pct...................................  .384
63...................................Doubles......................................... 65
   2....................................Triples........................................... 8
  31..................................Home Runs.....................................54
154.....................................Walks........................................185
30-of-46..................... Stolen Bases/Att............................21-of-33

PITCHING/DEFENSE
               OLE MISS                             ARKANSAS
2.98..................................... ERA.......................................3.85
371.1......................... Innings Pitched............................... 383.0
0..............................Complete Games..................................... 0
14....................................... Saves........................................ 8
3.39..................... Strikeout/Walk Ratio................................3.01
.227..........................Opponent's Avg................................  .238
46......................................Errors....................................... 37
29................................Double Plays.....................................30

Probable Starting Pitchers

Thu. | 6 p.m. | (ARK) RHP Blaine Knight (6-2, 3.13 ERA, 60/10 K/BB) vs. (UM) RHP James McArthur (2-3, 3.43 ERA, 41/16 K/BB)

Fri. | 6 p.m. | (ARK) RHP Trevor Stephan (4-2, 3.42 ERA, 66/11 K/BB) vs. (UM) LHP Ryan Rolison (5-2, 1.88 ERA, 50/14 K/BB)

Sat. | 4 p.m. | (ARK) TBA vs. (UM) LHP David Parkinson (5-2, 3.09 ERA, 56/15 K/BB)

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

0               6:00 p.m.                   0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | -  |  R |  H  | E  |LOB
OM       |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
ARK      |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 26, 2017, 06:43:50 am
With a strong chance of storms over the next several days, will we will need to watch the weather forecasts closely and keep an eye out for game time AND day changes.

I would be shocked if we were able to get all 3 in. Honestly, 2 is looking pretty difficult at this point unless we play a DH on Thursday. Only way we play a DH on Thursday or Friday is if the first game is like 6 hours before our scheduled televised game to give them plenty of time to get the game in. I would say there is zero chance we play Saturday as of now, which sucks because that crowd was going to be massive with the spring game. Now they are calling for storms to roll in tomorrow night, but we know this could change 5 times between now and then.

Does anyone know what the rule is for playing on a Sunday? The rain will let up by Sunday afternoon, but you never see teams who have a Thurs-Sat series play on Sunday. They always just move 1 game to be a DH. Is there a rule that say you have to play your games within the 3 days your series is scheduled for?

Wisco Pig

I just read through the SEC Inclement Weather Policy in last year's conference baseball media guide, and I don't see any provisions for playing a Thursday doubleheader or for playing at all on Sunday to make up or complete TH/FR/SA games.

Here's the link if you want to read it for yourself -- maybe one of you can find something I didn't.  Scroll through the first few pages of the PDF until you find the Weather Policy page, then start reading at the bottom of the first column ("FOR THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY SERIES"):

http://a.espncdn.com/SEC/baseball/2016/SEC%20Baseball%20Media%20Guide.pdf

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS

THURSDAY, 6 P.M.
Arkansas - Blaine Knight, So., RHP, 6-2, 3.13 ERA, 54.2 IP
Ole Miss - James McArthur, So., RHP, 2-3, 3.43 ERA, 44.2 IP
NOTING MCARTHUR:
- Holds the best WHIP (1.03) among Ole Miss starting pitchers
- Collected a win against Alabama, going 7.0 innings and allowing only one run on two hits to go along with seven strikeouts
- Tossed 5.0 innings and only surrendered one run to earn the win over No. 19 Kentucky
- Against No. 23 UNCW, recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts and did not allow a hit until the sixth inning; pitched 6.0 innings and allowed just one run on two hits and one walk (no decision)
- 2016 Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American (Collegiate Baseball)
- Pitched in 15 games, making 12 starts last year (primarily in midweek games)
- Standing 6' 7", tied with Sean Johnson as the tallest Rebel on the team

FRIDAY, 6 P.M.
Arkansas - Trevor Stephan, Jr., LHP, 4-2, 3.42 ERA, 50.0 IP
Ole Miss - Ryan Rolison, Fr., LHP, 5-2, 1.88 ERA, 43.0 IP
NOTING ROLISON:
- Reigning SEC Freshman of the Week after tossing 6.0 scoreless innings, allowing one hit and recording a career-high nine strikeouts in a win over Missouri (April 22)
- Has made 15 appearances this season, including six starts
- Claimed his first SEC win in his second conference start, giving up one run and striking out seven over 5.2 innings versus Alabama (April 9)
- Earned the win in his first career appearance, pitching one inning vs. No. 6 East Carolina (Feb. 19)
- Rated as the No. 10 freshman prospect in the nation (D1Baseball.com)
- As a senior in high school, recorded 108 strikeouts in 58.0 innings to earn USA TODAY's Mr. Baseball in the state of Tennessee, also earning first team All-USA honors
- Drafted in the 37th round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the San Diego Padres

SATURDAY, 4 P.M.
Arkansas - TBA
Ole Miss - David Parkinson, Jr., LHP, 5-2, 3.09 ERA, 58.1 IP
NOTING PARKINSON:
- Earned a win over No. 8 LSU (April 14), allowing only one run over 6.1 innings
- Only Rebel pitcher to start during every weekend of the season
- Tossed 6.0 frames without allowing a run to earn the win over No. 15 Vanderbilt
- Named SEC Pitcher of the Week after tossing a career-high 8.0 scoreless innings versus Furman (March 10), facing the minimum and allowing only one hit to go along with a career-high nine strikeouts; took a no-hitter into the eighth inning.
- Against No. 23 UNCW, retired the first 12 hitters he faced and finished his night allowing one earned run on three hits with six strikeouts
- Transferred to Ole Miss in 2016 after spending one season at Florence-Darlington Technical School

rljjr

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

http://www.nwahomepage.com/weather?videoId=690540022&carousel=1&index=1

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fayetteville-ar/72701/hourly-weather-forecast/326857?hour=16
THURSDAY - HOURLY RAIN
4pm   5pm   6pm   7pm   8pm   9pm   10pm   11pm
  6%   5%    5%     8%    43%   47%   51%     23%

FRIDAY - HOURLY RAIN
9am   10am   11am   12pm   1pm   2pm   3pm   4pm   5pm   6pm   7pm   8pm   9pm   10pm   11pm   12am
20%  20%     20%    20%    22%   25%   25%   31%  47%   51%  46%   74%   74%    74%    40%    34%

SATURDAY - HOURLY RAIN
9am  10am  11am  12pm  1pm  2pm  3pm  4pm  5pm  6pm  7pm   8pm   9pm  10pm  11pm  12am
69%   69%   49%   49%   60%  49% 56%  49%  63%  49%  63%  49%   61%  61%    64%   64%

jry04

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 27, 2017, 08:56:36 am
http://www.nwahomepage.com/weather?videoId=690540022&carousel=1&index=1

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fayetteville-ar/72701/hourly-weather-forecast/326857?hour=16
THURSDAY - HOURLY RAIN
4pm   5pm   6pm   7pm   8pm   9pm   10pm   11pm
  6%   5%    5%     8%    43%   47%   51%     23%

FRIDAY - HOURLY RAIN
9am   10am   11am   12pm   1pm   2pm   3pm   4pm   5pm   6pm   7pm   8pm   9pm   10pm   11pm   12am
20%  20%     20%    20%    22%   25%   25%   31%  47%   51%  46%   74%   74%    74%    40%    34%

I hope accuweather's hourly forecast is more accurate than weather.com's. The Weather Channel has a 60% chance starting at 7pm, and then at least an 80% from 8pm on until the next day. At midnight they have a 95% chance of rain. That goes with what the local meteorologists are saying, too. This morning the local news said storms will roll in Friday evening and the rain won't let up until late Sunday morning or early afternoon. If accuweather is correct, then we could probably get the game in tomorrow, maybe with a brief delay since it appears we could start back up after 10pm. However, if the weather channel is correct, we won't play another inning of baseball this weekend after 8-9pm more than likely.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jry04 on April 27, 2017, 09:25:08 am
I hope accuweather's hourly forecast is more accurate than weather.com's. The Weather Channel has a 60% chance starting at 7pm, and then at least an 80% from 8pm on until the next day. At midnight they have a 95% chance of rain. That goes with what the local meteorologists are saying, too. This morning the local news said storms will roll in Friday evening and the rain won't let up until late Sunday morning or early afternoon. If accuweather is correct, then we could probably get the game in tomorrow, maybe with a brief delay since it appears we could start back up after 10pm. However, if the weather channel is correct, we won't play another inning of baseball this weekend after 8-9pm more than likely.
I really want to get these 3 games in.

PigWig

Hoping Knight can go 7+ IP tonight.  Our bullpen has thrown over 31 innings in the past 6 days, and it looks like there could be a double header tomorrow on top of that.  We need Knight and Stephan to eat up some innings this weekend. 

rljjr

With the very real possibility of only getting in one game we absolutely have to take it tonight. WPS!!!

EDIT: just read we will try a Double header starting at noon Friday

Wisco Pig

If the forecasts are correct, and if I understand SEC policy, a Friday doubleheader starting as early as possible is the only way to get all three games in.

jry04

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 27, 2017, 02:24:50 pm
If the forecasts are correct, and if I understand SEC policy, a Friday doubleheader starting as early as possible is the only way to get all three games in.
They already switched to a Friday DH starting at noon.

Wisco Pig

Right.   I was trying to add to the point made in the preceding post, but I wasn't clear enough.

Wisco Pig

CJ HOG

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 27, 2017, 09:50:10 am
I really want to get these 3 games in.
It looks like we have a plan to get them all in, I guess we'll see how it pans out. While I want to get them in as well, I can't say I'm not concerned about sliding them forward.

In the midst of our most grueling stretch of the season it now becomes even more strenuous. Playing 7 in 8 days (6 SEC) and 9 in the last 11 days. It may not seem big, but losing a day or 2 of rest from the norm can take a toll, especially on our bullpen and some of the younger everyday players. I hope we can get through this weekend unscathed and finish up the season strong.

:razorback: Go Hogs! :razorback:

JHicks3636

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 27, 2017, 02:41:06 pm
nm   (I need a nap)

I just got in about an hour's worth and I feel worse than before. Just have to finish waking up.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: CJ HOG on April 27, 2017, 04:37:24 pm
It looks like we have a plan to get them all in, I guess we'll see how it pans out. While I want to get them in as well, I can't say I'm not concerned about sliding them forward.

In the midst of our most grueling stretch of the season it now becomes even more strenuous. Playing 7 in 8 days (6 SEC) and 9 in the last 11 days. It may not seem big, but losing a day or 2 of rest from the norm can take a toll, especially on our bullpen and some of the younger everyday players. I hope we can get through this weekend unscathed and finish up the season strong.

:razorback: Go Hogs! :razorback:

Well at least Knight and Stephan should be well rested!
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 27, 2017, 05:12:04 pm
I just got in about an hour's worth and I feel worse than before. Just have to finish waking up.

Ha.  Yeah, that happens to me too.

#oldpeopleproblems

razCzar

:razorback: :razorback: GO get 'em HOGS! :razorback: :razorback:

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

razCzar

Pre-game Show

Phil 'n Rick
- Rain expected around 7pm Friday
- Starters need to mix it up more on first pitch
- OM has best pitching staff in SEC - esp top 5-6 guys

DVH
- Pitchers worn out at KC
- Knight's velocity is good / location issue lately

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

JHicks3636

Leading off the game for Ole Missy

1. Blackman      .275
2. Golson          .304
3. Bartles         .275

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Razorbacks#1

0               Top 1st                   0

OM       |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

THUNDER!

SPAL

JHicks3636

Blackman, batting .275 on the year, leads off the game for the BBs, starts out with a ball, strike, foul for 1-2, 2-2, foul, 2-2,  foul, foul, walks

HogFansReunited

Member #3568

JHicks3636

Golson, at .304 one of 2 OM batters over .300, gets a strike call, 0-2 foul, strikes out swinging

JHicks3636

HogFansReunited

Was he not set long enough? Only way I could see that being called a balk.

Member #3568

JHicks3636

Bartles, batting .275, strike 1 swinging, 0-2 on the foul, strikes out swinging, but runner steals 3B with 2 outs

SPAL

It was a balk. His front foot went to home before he turned to first.

JHicks3636

Olenek, batting .277, starts with a ball, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, foul, foul, 3-2, grounds out to 3B

0-0 after 1/2

HogFansReunited

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 27, 2017, 06:10:49 pm
It was a balk. His front foot went to home before he turned to first.

Thanks. The balk has always been one call that I have trouble recognizing.

Member #3568

Razorbacks#1

0               Bot 1st                   0

OM    0 |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 1   

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Starting off the offense for Arkansas are

1. Arledge       .319
2. Spanberger  .314
3. Bonfield       .317

JHicks3636