Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ALL DISCUSSION ABOUT NATIONAL MEDIA GOES HERE

Started by hawgsav1, December 12, 2007, 05:27:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dsewell70

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on December 12, 2007, 01:22:25 pm
That's what I heard too on ESPN news last night.  So why do sports writers demand he should have told them in person?

And three stupid games left?  What's the point?

they were talking about if he went back now and talked them in person, not if he would have done it before the announcement came out

BrooklynRoss

Haha, Cowherd? You mean the same guy who stated that Sean Taylor's death was the result of his "gang-related past catching up with him?" This guy is another Imus waiting to happen.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

grayhawg

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 12, 2007, 01:00:10 pm
They're pissed he chose the Hogs and not Michigan...If he'd gone there, he'd be a savior...the next big thing...He chose here, so he's a scumbag...same old ESPN operating procedure...
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macgyver hawg

Quote from: dsewell70 on December 12, 2007, 01:24:23 pm
they were talking about if he went back now and talked them in person, not if he would have done it before the announcement came out

But the fact that they might be violent now is reason not to do it in the first place.  These are grown adult males that are paid to play the NFL game.  They are acting like children, and seem to think they were recruited to Atlanta instead of hired.

dsewell70

Quote from: cj_sez on December 12, 2007, 01:24:02 pm
It's been my feeling for quite some time that for many sports commentators expressing their opinions has become more important that reporting "facts" about sports. Sports reporting has taken a backseat to banter and rhetoric. The more inflammatory their remarks the better their ratings as people continue to watch, read or listen to see how far they'll go.
Nothing bothers me as much during televised games than when the commentators go off on some unrelated tangent following an excellent play that deserves discussion.
I don't pay attention to Oprah, Rosie, etc. and give little attention to the rants of some commentators who remind me of those talk show folks. If they were dedicated to fact, they would have delved deeply into the situation with Malzahn, Mustain, Williams, loss of recruits, emailgate etc, instead of slamming fans in Arkansas. They would not have rabidly endorsed Tebow, but presented facts for Heisman voters to study.
Let them rant. Perhaps they have nothing better to do. Coach Petrino has lots to do, and I doubt he gives them much attention. Neither should we.

if all sports reporters/commentators were dedicated to the facts, we wouldn't have a message board like this either with all its "sources" lol

qhhog

Quote from: wlbrown9 on December 12, 2007, 01:08:24 pm
I heard last night that if Bobby showed up at the Falcon's team meeting on Wednesday that there would be possible physical violence. 

They should have displayed some of that aggression on the field.  Anyway what is the best he could have accomplished by staying, a 6-10 season, and even that doubtful.  The timing was right for him.
If you always think what you've always thought, you'll always say what you've always said.  If you always say what you always said you'll always do what you've always done.  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Time for a change.  Change=BP WPS GHG

dsewell70

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on December 12, 2007, 01:28:18 pm
But the fact that they might be violent now is reason not to do it in the first place.  These are grown adult males that are paid to play the NFL game.  They are acting like children, and seem to think they were recruited to Atlanta instead of hired.

ya mean if your boss threw your company under the bus  you wouldn't feel ticked off either?

it's a lot more complicated situation than they were just "hired" ... as they were talking about on Mike and Mike in the Morning today, coaches have a lot more flexibility to move. Players are there until either their contract expires or they are traded or cut. They can't just come in with 3 games left and say "Hey this isn't working out. Our team sucks. I think I'm going to go jump to the Patriots. C-ya."

Jayhawg

I listened to Cowherd's show FOR THE FIRST time yesterday & was aware that virtually nothing was said about the Arkansas job.  The ONLY reference to Coach Bobby Petrino was regarding the MI job.  ESPN was WRONG about who they hyped for the Heisman, they were WRONG about who was on Petrino & their East Coast, Big 10 bias is on full display.  We've taken it for a long time & they don't want their turn in the barrel.

He was bragging about adding he Big D affilliate.  Some of you Hogs in the Big D should give him a shout.

LET'S CALL THOSE HOGS...

OldArmy94

dswell70,

True, but comparing coaches and players is comparing apples and oranges.  Coaches have left teams in the middle of the season for time immemorial.  This is hardly a devastation of epic proportions.

Donny2665

Quote from: Damn Yankee on December 12, 2007, 12:54:10 pm
Wow...it's really about Petrino quiting during the NFL season. I guess he broke some coaching unwritten rule.

Im glad we were able to give them something to talk about, even though Im sure its still a bunch of meaningless rants. He was 3-10 and lets say he ended it with 3 more wins and was 6-10, it would not have meant a damn thing, 3-10 will get them a better slot in the draft, he should be thanked.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

PIGskin Pride

Cowturd is a shockjock.  He simply reads a list of topics for his show evermorning and says, huh, I wonder what will get the masses riled up the most. 

Nothing More

MRG1963

you really believe the only reason nutt is gone is because the kids transferred? I disagree.. nutt was gone after this season regardless of any transfers. IMO

BroyledNutts

Quote from: MRG1963 on December 12, 2007, 01:22:23 pm
yea... them and 100 other teams.

118 other, to be exact...But USC will finish in the top 5 this year, and will contend for the NC next year, just like they do every year...and like it or not, Mitch and Damian will be a part of that effort....

steelrazor07

This guy just ripped Petrino. Asked how could he come to a place that treated Houston Nutt so poorly. called him a "lying scumbag with poor grammar"

Ouch

razorrog1

I wanted to be the first to state my feelings on this:

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

hoghearted

There's a reason some folks call him 'Kornholer'.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

kimjongsqUeAl

Tony Kornhole is a joke.  He's 1 reason why MNF still sucks. 
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

dsewell70

Quote from: OldArmy94 on December 12, 2007, 01:35:11 pm
dswell70,

True, but comparing coaches and players is comparing apples and oranges.  Coaches have left teams in the middle of the season for time immemorial.  This is hardly a devastation of epic proportions.

name a few coaches who have left in the middle of a season that went to another team who weren't fired?

hoggeek

HawgsandDawgs, you might want to go edit your profile...

Torqued pork

Quote from: steelrazor07 on December 12, 2007, 01:40:39 pm
This guy just ripped Petrino. Asked how could he come to a place that treated Houston Nutt so poorly. called him a "lying scumbag with poor grammar"

Ouch
Who cares? I've come to the conclusion the only thing that makes blowhards like TK happy is watching Tebow sweat and glisten in the sunlight.

txkrazorback

kornheiser is THE biggest poot of them all; who cares.
My friend and fellow Arkansan Johnny Cash
has something to say to him from beyond the grave...

The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

hoghearted

Yeah, geek. I was just thinking that, too.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

razorrog1

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on December 12, 2007, 01:42:48 pm
Tony has mange.
And he looks orange.

(Lord I apologize for saying he looks orange.  And be with the starving Pygmies. )

Bacon The Saddle Again

Ouch

Ironically, people have made the same assessment about Houston Nutt.

tiber

Someone help me understand what qualifications that idiot has that somehow qualify him for his current job? 

If that wasn't a good ol' boy hire then I don't know that I've ever seen one.

MRG1963

i hope the best for all arkansas  boys regardless of the university they choose to attend... lets hope mitch can get his mechanics corrected to eliminate the high throws under pressure and stanford forfiets next year to keep carroll in the top 5!

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: hoggeek on December 12, 2007, 01:44:02 pm

Hahaha, nice. Perhaps second-best? I do like some ASU though. My brother went there. What did they end up naming the new mascot?

DeltaBoy

I have just about stopped watching ESPN due to their balent anti HOG Hate.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorBrat

Ouch

Lying and poor grammar.... are we sure he didn't mean Nutt???

Pigdiana Jones

Kornhole sucks... him and his stupid PTI show suck.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

elkhog

Quote from: Reaganite on December 12, 2007, 01:04:00 pm
Must be a lotta M Alums working in Bristol, huh?

The have constant fetish for all things Michigan/Ohio State.

They're going to go berserk if Miles crushes OS then stays at LSU.

Here's hoping the corndog takes the job.  I suspect that he's not as good a coach without Sabans players.

I'm hoping Miles stays at LSU.  That is one job I would not want to see open up for at least a few years.  Especially if we have a coach that likes to job hop.  Not criticising, just saying.
GO HOGS!!!

camden5r

Quote from: dsewell70 on December 12, 2007, 01:42:55 pm
name a few coaches who have left in the middle of a season that went to another team who weren't fired?
Lou Holtz for one

Donny2665

Quote from: hoghearted on December 12, 2007, 01:42:05 pm
There's a reason some folks call him 'Kornholer'.

Damn it, beat me to the punch.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Master B

Kornholer = ESPN = Ark Haters

Instead of questioning why Petrino went running from the Falcons and that fat $$$ contract??????

Big Papa Satan

Tony Combover doesn't have a lot of room to talk about anyone being a scumbag.

H&D

Quote from: hoggeek on December 12, 2007, 01:44:02 pm

Good point, after lunch I get on that.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

dhornjr1

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again.

Why would anyone...ANYONE...listen to Colin Cowherd.

He's, perhaps, the least knowledgable national sports radio host on the airwaves right now. He's all about giving stupid-ass opinions and getting people to call in to agree or disagree.

dsewell70

Quote from: blunthog on December 12, 2007, 01:48:37 pm
Lou Holtz for one

yep holtz left with one game left in the season and came to Arkansas... glad you paid attention to SportsCenter last night. Care to throw out any others?

SC-RAZOR

I wanted to crawl through the radio and hit him right in the mouth. I have never been able to stand the guy.

TLFHAWG

Mr. Kornheiser is an ASS.

dsewell70

Quote from: dhornjr1 on December 12, 2007, 01:49:38 pm
I've asked this before and I'll ask it again.

Why would anyone...ANYONE...listen to Colin Cowherd.

He's, perhaps, the least knowledgable national sports radio host on the airwaves right now. He's all about giving stupid-ass opinions and getting people to call in to agree or disagree.

Gee bet you wouldn't have been saying that last season when he was all high on the Hogs

bobbybouchet

I think ESPN executives have been pushing their people to have stronger opinions and over exaggerate stories because it sells.  Cowherd and Jim Rome are the pros at this and others are learning to have opinions almost to the point of crazy.  Even if you don't totally believe it.  They will jump on anything that has legs, and this one was setup and placed in their laps.

Beaverfever

December 12, 2007, 01:54:03 pm #93 Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:55:42 pm by Beaverfever
Espn and its whole crew (minus Mort) can kiss arkansas' and the rest of the sec's a$$.  They go out of their way to hate on the sec, particularly arkansas.  When LSU rips Ohio St. in the bcs championship game it will get worse.  I think the SEC should rename the SEC championship game the National Championship Game.

baconlvr

Cowherd is great about getting people worked up.  That is what his show is about.  At the end of the day, he views the SEC as the Mecca of college football and for the most part has been favorable towards AR.  At least he doesn't treat us like Ohio State.

slystephy

I watched ESPN last night after the news conferance and I can tell you I was not impressed with the way they treated the story.... I got the feeling they think of us as a red headed stepchild..... All I care about is that my husband and Dad are happy with the choice, we are going to have a great exciting year next season, our commitments to our future players will be honored, and I get to cook and have a Great Cotton Bowl Party now that everything is all said and done!!!!!!! ESPN can just EAT our RAZORBACK DUST for all I care!!!!!!! 

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: bobbybouchet on December 12, 2007, 01:53:19 pm
I think ESPN executives have been pushing their people to have stronger opinions and over exaggerate stories because it sells.  Cowherd and Jim Rome are the pros at this and others are learning to have opinions almost to the point of crazy.  Even if you don't totally believe it.  They will jump on anything that has legs, and this one was setup and placed in their laps.

This is true. They're told to pick a side. In this case there was nobody who picked Arkansas.

dhornjr1

Quote from: dsewell70 on December 12, 2007, 01:52:28 pm
Gee bet you wouldn't have been saying that last season when he was all high on the Hogs

Since you have no idea who I am, it is not wise on your part to make such foolish presumptions.

I WAS saying that last season when he still didn't know a darned thing and was just throwing crap against the wall to see what would stick like he does every day.

Cowherd is a joke.

And just because someone suddenly jumps on my team's bandwagon does not change my opinion of that person's talent or intellect. That just shows that they're weak-minded and change with whichever way the wind blows.

Right now, it's popular to follow the national media herd and bash Arkansas and Petrino.

Do you expect Colin Cowherd to be any different?

cosmodrum

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on December 12, 2007, 01:42:25 pm
Tony Kornhole is a joke.  He's 1 reason why MNF still sucks. 

Abso-frankin-lutely! He SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!

Who gives a damn what that little toad thinks, anyway? I loathe PTI, and can barely watch MNF with that moron on the show.
Go away, batin'

lokopig

Ouch

All you have to know is that he works for ESPN also