Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20 Million!!!!!!!

Started by russell33, February 25, 2008, 10:57:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russell33

LOS ANGELES -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. will earn a record $20 million for his first professional wrestling match next month.

The undefeated WBC welterweight champion will take on Paul "Big Show" Wight as part of WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.

The one-fight deal, which is believed to be the largest single purse for a pro wrestling match, was finalized in January by Mayweather's advisor, Leonard Ellerbee.

"I had approached the (WWE) about a year ago but it didn't fit into our schedule," said Ellerbee after a news conference at Staples Center. "We sat down with them again about a month ago and they made an incredible offer and me and my business partner Al Heyman sat down with them and we cut the deal. It's an eight-figure deal worth $20 million just for this one fight."

Mayweather is 39-0 in the ring, but the wrestling match will have a slightly more skewed tale of the tape than the 5-foot-8, 150-pound boxer is used to. Wight comes into match standing 7 feet tall and weighing 430 pounds.

"I weigh three times as much as he does. It's not fair, but I'm a businessman and I see an opportunity for business," said Wight, punctuating his statement by flinging the wooden podium to the floor.

Mayweather hopped onto a chair and exchanged glares with Wight while WWE regulars Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H and Edge looked on

"We've wanted to do something with Mayweather for quite sometime," said WWE Executive Vice President Shane McMahon. "I brought my dad [Vince McMahon] into it because he grew up and did a lot of promotions with [Muhammad] Ali and I told him this guy is Ali-plus. He's tailor-made for our business."

Mayweather plans to train with WWE Latino star Ray Mysterio, who wears a mask on his face. "WWE is the biggest it gets," Mayweather said. "This is going to be an event like none other."

While other boxers such as Ali, Mike Tyson and Joe Louis have stepped into the pro wrestling ring, all of them did it at the end of their careers. Mayweather is making the transition in his prime, as a possible re-match with Oscar De La Hoya awaits in September.

"I'm not just any ordinary fighter," said Mayweather, who about $20 million for his 2007 fight against De La Hoya, which was the richest boxing match ever, generating revenue of $120 million. "I dance with the stars, I play in NBA celebrity games; you just never know what Floyd Mayweather will do next. Next year I could be playing for an NFL team or an NBA team. You just don't know."

source...  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/02/25/markazi.mayweather.wrestling/index.html?eref=mostpop

hogfan064

Why would you spend 20 million on him?  He's not going to help the buyrate that much.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 26, 2008, 11:04:41 am
He's not going to help the buyrate that much.

Not only that, but I doubt that goes over with the boys.

Oh, who am I kidding?  These guys in the WWE are so young they don't know any better.  They probably think Mayweather going over Big Show is good for business.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Special Delivery Jones

Just another in the long line to do the job to someone from the outside.  Didn't hurt it then won't hurt it now.

russell33

20 freaking million, couldnt they spend that to get the rock for 1 match??? id much rather see him than a boxer

hydrophonic

Quote from: russell33 on February 26, 2008, 11:28:11 am
couldnt they spend that to get the rock for 1 match???

Only if he would cash the check.

Quote from: not ray on February 26, 2008, 11:18:51 am
Just another in the long line to do the job to someone from the outside.  Didn't hurt it then won't hurt it now.

Wight has been off TV for almost a year and a half.  They could have built him into a monster heel.  That would have been good for business.  Now, sure...  they would have used him to get somebody else over, I know that.

Instead, they're going to put an outsider over.  Not a guy they can make money off of down the road, but somebody that is never going to make them a dime.  And IMO Mayweather won't make them ONE DIME extra on WM 24.

That's bad buisness.

Special Delivery Jones

I am sure McMahon will stand the "bad business" of having Mayweather go over Wight.  Here is a guy that while gone ran down the WWE as much as he could.  When he was given the ball by the E in the past he could not even come close to carrying the load.  It is not like they are going to job Orton, HHH, or Cena.  Show is no different than Bigelow was when he did the job to Taylor.  Not saying I like it but this is a billion dollar company and if they do make a mistake they will survive.

hydrophonic

Quote from: not ray on February 26, 2008, 12:11:43 pm
Show is no different than Bigelow was when he did the job to Taylor.  Not saying I like it but this is a billion dollar company and if they do make a mistake they will survive.

I agree with you there.

And I still remember what Wight said about "Big Show" being his "slave name", so I know Mc-H hasn't forgotten either.  I'm sure that this deal is part of his "punishment."

Back in the dark ages, promoters brought in celebrities to put over the business.  That changed somewhere and I don't like it.

I guess I'm just on a "back in my day" rant.

Quote from: russell33 on February 25, 2008, 10:57:28 pmWhile other boxers such as Ali, Mike Tyson and Joe Louis have stepped into the pro wrestling ring, all of them did it at the end of their careers.

Joe Frazier=referee for the Main Event of Starrcade 1984
Muhammed Ali=outside referee for the Main Event of WM 1
Mike Tyson=outside referee for the Main Event of WM 14

Anybody know what they're talking about with Joe Louis?  You think they meant Fraizer?

Special Delivery Jones

Just the whole thought process that surrounded Wrestlemania was to bring in celebrities.  I love what Piper did to Mr. T.  He stiffed him every chance he got.  I am with you on the old school stuff.  I have been watching it for nearly 4 decades and nothing will be better than the territory days. 

TR1

For $100,000 I "BET" they could have gotten Pete Rose vs Kane.

hog_fan

Quote from: not ray on February 26, 2008, 01:13:10 pm
Just the whole thought process that surrounded Wrestlemania was to bring in celebrities.  I love what Piper did to Mr. T.  He stiffed him every chance he got.  I am with you on the old school stuff.  I have been watching it for nearly 4 decades and nothing will be better than the territory days. 

I like to see Show stiff Mayweather. The guy already broke his nose. Guess someone forgot to tell him he wasn't supposed to really hit Big show

Newport Hog

So Mayweather was alwaying going to be the heel or was it just changed when they found out that noone cares about boxing like that anymore.  I know the WWE didnt give this fool 20million~~~~

Milton

This is in my opinion a dumb mistake. I could careless if he does this. They could get somebody else, stil a pretty big name, for less than half what they are paying him.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

hydrophonic

I can't believe none of us thought of this...

I've seen it suggested that Mayweather is getting $20M because Show is going over.

And now that I think about it, it's the only thing that makes sense.  Personally, I still think it's a mistake.  If Show goes over, you know Mayweather is going to down talk the business.

I hope Show is already practicing the line "of course it was a work, if it were real I would have really hurt that little fellow."

hydrophonic

RAW SEGMENT NEARLY TURNS INTO FULL BLOWN SHOOT
by Mike Johnson @ 12:11 AM on 3/11/2008

For those of you who thought the wild scene at the end of the Big Show-Floyd Mayweather Jr. weigh-in segment on Raw last night looked like a legit brawl, that's because it pretty much was one.

According to several WWE sources, the segment went as planned, but several members Mayweather's "Posse" went into business for themselves trying to show how tough they were. The WWE wrestlers at ringside went back at them briefly, although from the camera angles, most of the physicality was lost on the viewing audience.

One wrestler involved commented that Mayweather's crew, "got their asses handed to them". Another noted that the company was "10 seconds away from a legitimate beatdown taking place on live TV."

Shane McMahon was legitimately knocked down in the fray and there was a lot of tension between the two sides backstage after the segment.

PWinsider

jbell96

I've read on pwinsider and several other respectable sites that Mayweather likely isn't getting 20 million. It's probably closer to 8 or 9. I still think that is way too much, but I'm not running the company. BTW, Show tossing Mayweather over the top rope was #9 on Sportcenter's top plays.

hydrophonic

Quote from: jbell96 on March 11, 2008, 10:53:36 am
BTW, Show tossing Mayweather over the top rope was #9 on Sportcenter's top plays.

Then I'm sure WWE looks at it as money well spent.

Special Delivery Jones

I have been watching wrestling for over 30 years.  It certainly looked legit as far as a brawl.  That is what happens when you bring in people who have no idea how the business works.  At the moment that Shane went down I knew that was legit.  Mayweather may  be the 20 million dollar man, but Shane is the heir to a billion dollar company.  This was a bad idea from the start and I highly doubt it will get any better.  Mayweather's posse seemed to be on the brink of getting squashed. 

SwinerBock

Quote from: not ray on March 11, 2008, 11:21:08 am
I have been watching wrestling for over 30 years.  It certainly looked legit as far as a brawl.  That is what happens when you bring in people who have no idea how the business works.  At the moment that Shane went down I knew that was legit.  Mayweather may  be the 20 million dollar man, but Shane is the heir to a billion dollar company.  This was a bad idea from the start and I highly doubt it will get any better.  Mayweather's posse seemed to be on the brink of getting squashed. 

Yep.  Other clues were the pissed look on Shane's face after he got up, checking his elbow for a rip in his suit jacket, the wrestlers around him asking "man, are you all right" as he was laying on the ground with this stunned look on his face, etc, etc.

It was priceless.

russell33

they should have got Nikolay valuev

Newport Hog

Yea it looked like a shoot, however this angle is dumb!!!!!!!  Mayweather was unknown to me about a month and half ago he not worth the money.

TR1

Milton

Quote from: TR1 on March 13, 2008, 01:43:09 pm
what
Weren't you listening? I really don't feel like repeating my self :P
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

hellrazor

the WWE technically cannot lie about its finances. Being a publicly traded company, lying to the public is like lying to potencial investors.

However, the SEC has usually looked the other way to the benefit of WWEs kayfabe. For example when Vince was "killed" the WWEs corporate website was business as  usual. This Mayweather storyline is no different. They'll make their quarterly report and we'll know for sure.

I'm guesssing the 20 million is the overall budget and includes advertising, marketing, travel and what-not.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

SwinerBock

I think it is time to revisit this. 

No way, no how, do they have Mayweather come out on top cleanly.  You can't convince me that the WWE is going to be ok with a 160-pound boxer beating one of the WWE's biggest stars. 

No way, no how, do they have Show come out on top in any fashion because everybody knows that Show would absolutely crush Mayweather.  What is the suspense in that?  What we thought would happen actually happens?  Come on, this is the "granddaddy of them all...Wrestlemania". 

No, I see this as a perfect angle for Mayweather to use some of that $20 mil on a "bodyguard", someone new to WWE (or maybe someone returning to WWE).  Only problem is, I'm not aware of any new or existing talent that might be joining the 'E.  I haven't heard a peep about anyone.

Ideas?

Special Delivery Jones

This is the angle that Sid has been talking about for years.

hydrophonic

Quote from: not ray on March 25, 2008, 09:08:33 am
This is the angle that Sid has been talking about for years.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=176223.0

Quote from: SwinerBock on March 25, 2008, 12:54:33 amNo, I see this as a perfect angle for Mayweather to use some of that $20 mil on a "bodyguard", someone new to WWE (or maybe someone returning to WWE).  Only problem is, I'm not aware of any new or existing talent that might be joining the 'E.

Good thinking, even if they don't do anything like this.

I can't remember anybody debuting at Mania.  Maybe it's happened, but I don't remember it.

But somebody coming back...  That's interesting.

I hope it isn't Sid.

Special Delivery Jones

Got to love Psycho Sid.  That nut job has been selling himself hard over the years that he has the greatest angle ever just waiting to be unwrapped.  Now this obviously has to do with Sid going over.  Which we all know is exactly what the world wants.

hydrophonic

Quote from: not ray on March 25, 2008, 09:33:13 am
Now this obviously has to do with Sid going over.  Which we all know is exactly what the world wants.

Well, who wouldn't want "the greatest comeback in sports history"?

Oh yea...  Sid = ratings.  No doubt about that.