Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn-Auburn Offense review

Started by StreetThief99, September 06, 2009, 11:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

StreetThief99

Those of you who have kept saying Gus needs his players might be eating crow before long. Auburn ran for 301 yards and passed for 255 yards against a seasoned Louisiana Tech team, which made the sexy upset pick for many betting gurus across the nation.

Watching the game I noticed a few things:

The offense looked like West Virginia's except without the breakaway speed of Pat White and Slaton, the offense was much more complex, and they weren't really running an option. Misdirection and laterals were everywhere.

Most passes went for 10-15 yards, and two long passes skewed them. The defensive backs were tricked;they weren't really beaten deep.

Malzahn was running show-entirely. Almost every time the camera showed him, he was yelling HURRY UP! Also, the offense was set up so that the running ran from sideline to sideline before cutting upfield, and after that they would run otu of bounds. This tired out the LTU defense by prolonging the game and making them run more by stretching the field, as well as opening up runnign lanes in the middle. The offense ran 79 plays and the ESPN camera crew had trouble keeping up with them.

The QB missed a lot of passes, but they were generally effective. Kodi Burns ran the wildcat quite well. Todd hits the mid-range passes and flats well.

In the end, Auburn's offense was impressive. Most runs were for 6-8 yards and they had little trouble moving between the 20s, but their red zone fell apart and the kicker had to save the drives often. Their offense will only improve-especially the QB play. They will score a lot of points this year as Gus works out the kinks and they become a well-oiled machine.

I expect our game with them to be a shootout. Our offense needs to hold onto the ball well and our second stringers need to step up in order for us to keep from getting gassed. Turnovers will probably determine who wins, though.
Quote from: Shocktheman on September 25, 2010, 07:33:57 am
Guys Im outnumbered here at FOB Sharana. . .Taliban outside the wire and Bama fans inside!  Send Hogs fans with beer immediately!

Kenny Hawgins

they played la. tech.  settle down.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Table Rocker

Quote from: StreetThief99 on September 06, 2009, 11:31:40 pm
Those of you who have kept saying Gus needs his players might be eating crow before long. Auburn ran for 301 yards and passed for 255 yards against a seasoned Louisiana Tech team, which made the sexy upset pick for many betting gurus across the nation.

The offense looked like West Virginia's except without the breakaway speed of Pat White and Slaton, the offense was much more complex, and they weren't really running an option. Misdirection and laterals were everywhere.

Most passes went for 10-15 yards, and two long passes skewed them. The defensive backs were tricked;they weren't really beaten deep.

Malzahn was running show-entirely. Almost every time the camera showed him, he was yelling HURRY UP! Also, the offense was set up so that the running ran from sideline to sideline before cutting upfield, and after that they would run otu of bounds. This tired out the LTU defense by prolonging the game and making them run more by stretching the field, as well as opening up runnign lanes in the middle. The offense ran 79 plays and the ESPN camera crew had trouble keeping up with them.

The QB missed a lot of passes, but they were generally effective. Kodi Burns ran the wildcat quite well. Todd hits the mid-range passes and flats well.

In the end, Auburn's offense was impressive. Most runs were for 6-8 yards and they had little trouble moving between the 20s, but their red zone fell apart and the kicker had to save the drives often. Their offense will only improve-especially the QB play. They will score a lot of points this year as Gus works out the kinks and they become a well-oiled machine.

I expect our game with them to be a shootout. Our offense needs to hold onto the ball well and our second stringers need to step up in order for us to keep from getting gassed. Turnovers will probably determine who wins, though.

are you pissed that you had to replace all your tulsa gear with auburn gear?

lowellgeorge

The games between us and Auburn should truly be classics the next few years. Two of the best offensive minds at work. I just hope Petrino is a bit more skilled and well-oiled. WPS.

Michael Porkleone

This is great for the SEC Sports forum.

Screw Auburn.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

chrisalanking

Louisiana Tech is a solid team. I hope Gus stays Auburn's OC for a while so when Petrino leaves(hopefully a LONGGG time from now) we can hire him for his first NCAA head coach position.

ValleyHog

Go find a new message board!  There's no reason to post one word about Mal-a-zahan until it's time to pound them in October!  Go away!!

hawgsav1

I'm definitely not a Malzahn fan, but even I will grudgingly admit that I was impressed.  Derek Dooley has done a pretty good job at Louisiana Tech, and while they aren't exactly the hottest sh*t, they're not a bad team. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

pharm

I remember after we beat Auburn at their house a few years back they called our offense a gimmick offense. I bet they are liking it now.

Michael Porkleone

Who cares.

We beat Auburn last year.  We also beat a team that Gus was the OC for that was ranked higher than us.

Move this thread.
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

chrisalanking

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 12:16:34 am
Go find a new message board!  There's no reason to post one word about Mal-a-zahan until it's time to pound them in October!  Go away!!

Why does he bother you so much?
He's a good coach.

IronHog

I watched the first half of the game on the free replay site.

I was not impressed by Auburn's offensive players.  GM will be forced to stretch the field laterally and work the short and moderate passing game.  Unless they improve dramatically the vertical portion of his gameplan will be nonexistent this year.

I say the struggle to score against several SEC teams.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: pharm on September 07, 2009, 12:18:06 am
I remember after we beat Auburn at their house a few years back they called our offense a gimmick offense. I bet they are liking it now.

What gimmick?

Arkansas ran the same three plays 80% of the time that PawPaw gave HDN straight from his playbook.

Woody was a gimmick, but they fell for it.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: chrisalanking on September 07, 2009, 12:21:01 am
He's a good coach.

He is a good coach.  But we have a two or three that are better than he is.

Auburn threads go in SEC Sports.

passinghog

Who cares about Auburn?
Watching Ryan Mallett and Bobby Petrino run our offense is like watching a legend in the making.
All the comparison to Auburn and Malzahn is like a fly you want to swat. SWAT!
Get outta here with that small-time stuff.
Our offense has a chance to be devastating for years. We have potentially 3 Qbs stacked up until the year 2013, AT LEAST, ON CAMPUS.
Those guys on the plains would kill to have either Wilson or B. Mitchell.

lewisandrew88

I think ive seen that offense before? Oh yeah Arkansas vs Tulsa 2008......

ValleyHog

Quote from: chrisalanking on September 07, 2009, 12:21:01 am
He's a good coach.

I live in LA and have to hear Petey talk 24/7.  I come to hogville to get my HOG news, not what Gus or Nutt or Dick or whatever organ you want to talk about has done or is doing...put that crap in a different forum.  Now that wholehog charges for their bad reporting and 103.7 (especially DTS) is hard on the ears, plus I have a job and can't listen all the time, I would just like a message board that covers my pigs only.  It gets me pissed when I come on here to hear the scuttlebutt and all I get are people arguing over which qb should start just because they're from the same hometown or whatever nonsense...i can get past that, but there is NO REASON to put a non hog thread up during HOG SEASON!! Thank you.

IronHog

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 12:29:02 am
I live in LA and have to hear Petey talk 24/7.  I come to hogville to get my HOG news, not what Gus or Nutt or Dick or whatever organ you want to talk about has done or is doing...put that crap in a different forum.  Now that wholehog charges for their bad reporting and 103.7 (especially DTS) is hard on the ears, plus I have a job and can't listen all the time, I would just like a message board that covers my pigs only.  It gets me pissed when I come on here to hear the scuttlebutt and all I get are people arguing over which qb should start just because they're from the same hometown or whatever nonsense...i can get past that, but there is NO REASON to put a non hog thread up during HOG SEASON!! Thank you.

I think I'll start a thread about how real hog fans don't move here to work for wal-mart, and they sure as heck would never live in the people republic of northern mexico.

Would that make it better?

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 12:29:02 am

This thread will be moved as soon as a mod sees it.

ValleyHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 07, 2009, 12:31:52 am
I think I'll start a thread about how real hog fans don't move here to work for wal-mart, and they sure as heck would never live in the people republic of northern mexico.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china...ridiculous! I apologize my fiance is in the Air Force and was transferred out here!  I'd give my anything to still live back home, but as the Rolling Stones so eloquently said, "You can't always get what you want..."

Road_Hog

You came to the wrong place. This board belongs in the Trash Can. Media using it for their self-serving interests and overpopulation has destroyed what was once a great place to talk Hog sports.

Table Rocker

Quote from: IronHog on September 07, 2009, 12:31:52 am

so if you don't live in arkansas you're not a real hog fan? damn.

IronHog

Quote from: Table Rocker on September 07, 2009, 12:39:19 am
so if you don't live in arkansas you're not a real hog fan? damn.

He was throwing a hissy fit on the internets and messed up a thread I was interested in.........

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Road_Hog on September 07, 2009, 12:37:08 am
You came to the wrong place. This board belongs in the Trash Can. Media using it for their self-serving interests and overpopulation has destroyed what was once a great place to talk Hog sports.

The media partnerships Hogville has are great.  They add many things to the board before others know.  That isn't the problem. 

Yes, the board is overpopulated at times (especially during the first and last few weeks of college football). 

Threads like this will find their way to their rightful place when a mod notices.

ValleyHog

Quote from: Road_Hog on September 07, 2009, 12:37:08 am

I use my parents DemGaz subscription to read wholehog, but where else are good pig friendly sites...not espn/cbs/yahoo/etc...suggestions anyone?

ValleyHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 07, 2009, 12:40:51 am
He was throwing a hissy fit on the internets and messed up a thread I was interested in.........

Put down the pipe for a minute and think about what ur saying? 

IronHog

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 12:41:42 am
I use my parents DemGaz subscription to read wholehog, but where else are good pig friendly sites...not espn/cbs/yahoo/etc...suggestions anyone?

Hogville is THE Arkansas site.

You've got to know how to wade through the mess (like your interjection above) to get what you want, but it is still here for the most part.

Table Rocker

http://www.thesavvyrazorback.com/

this guy had some great write ups during fall practice. not sure what his plans are now that the season has started but he was very thorough on his reports.

Road_Hog

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on September 07, 2009, 12:41:27 am
The media partnerships Hogville has are great.  They add many things to the board before others know.  That isn't the problem. 

A-They have posted rumors? That's no help.
B-A true partnership helps each other. These guys are here for one thing-to promote their shows. It's been like that for a while. Hardly any of them have ever had significant post count.

chiefsfan

I dont know about you guys.  But if Arkansas cant win the West.  Id much rather Malzhan and Auburn win it over LSU Ole Miss or Alabama...

just my 2 cents
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

passinghog

I'd never want a perennial pretender like Ole Miss or Auburn ever win the west over an Alabama or LSU.

Road_Hog

One other thing... Hardly any of them actually moderate.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Road_Hog on September 07, 2009, 12:46:49 am
B-A true partnership helps each other. These guys are here for one thing-to promote their shows. It's been like that for a while. Hardly any of them have ever had significant post count.

A - many of the rumors they have posted have come true.  At least they are marked as "i've heard" or "not confirmed".  What rumors has a media member posted on this board that haven't come true (i'm not mocking, i'm really wondering)?

B - Pat Doney had some of the best practice reports this fall.  He provided a great insight into almost every position on the team.  Sure the partnership promotes The Razorback Nation but it has been helpful.  You do not have to tune in. 

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 07, 2009, 12:47:18 am
I dont know about you guys.  But if Arkansas cant win the West.  Id much rather Malzhan and Auburn win it over LSU Ole Miss or Alabama...

just my 2 cents

My $.02 has Auburn dead last in the SEC West as long as Malzhan is there.  His tie-ins with our state's high school coaches are too strong.  And if you don't think a high school coach influences a recruit, you are crazy.

The Boar War

In October I wouldn't worry about getting gassed.  Auburn's talent is extremely thin.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Road_Hog on September 07, 2009, 12:46:49 am

agreed.  and its also a desperate move for two stations that are getting killed in the ratings...

They arent here out of the goodness of their heart.  We're talking about KNWA and KARK for goodness sakes...Look at the ratings, if you want the real reason we have this "Partnership"  for lack of a better term
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

IronHog

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on September 07, 2009, 12:51:40 am
A - many of the rumors they have posted have come true.  At least they are marked as "i've heard" or "not confirmed".  What rumors has a media member posted on this board that haven't come true (i'm not mocking, i'm really wondering)?

B - Pat Doney had some of the best practice reports this fall.  He provided a great insight into almost every position on the team.  Sure the partnership promotes The Razorback Nation but it has been helpful.  You do not have to tune in. 

I like the videos.

The days of guys sitting around talking about how they are "insiders" and how "insightful" their posts were in the glory days (all BS) is done at this site, but it is still the BEST place to keep up with Hog football.

Road_Hog

Does Pat Doney move posts, delete posts, etc like a Wayne58? Aaron Peters posted the rumor a while back.

ValleyHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 07, 2009, 12:47:18 am

just my 2 cents

Absolutely not!  If we can't we I'll want the Alabama/LSwho's of the west to win...more national pub for the sec...i don't want to hear of parity in the league and how it's not a strong and all that unless the Hogs are the reason the talking heads at BSPN are going nuts...we want it to be SEC and then everybody else, its why we get the uber tv contracts and choice of the best bowl bids...

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Road_Hog on September 07, 2009, 12:55:52 am
Does Pat Doney move posts, delete posts, etc like a Wayne58? Aaron Peters posted the rumor a while back.

PM me the rumor AP posted. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 12:57:53 am
Absolutely not!  If we can't we I'll want the Alabama/LSwho's of the west to win...more national pub for the sec...i don't want to hear of parity in the league and how it's not a strong and all that unless the Hogs are the reason the talking heads at BSPN are going nuts...we want it to be SEC and then everybody else, its why we get the uber tv contracts and choice of the best bowl bids...

But in order for an Auburn to win the west.  They would have to beat LSU Bama Georgia Arkansas and Ole Miss.   If they won those games and put on a crazy run.  how would that represent parity

parity is when a 3 loss team like Arkansas a few years ago gets to play in the SEC title game when they have no business being there

ValleyHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 07, 2009, 01:03:20 am
But in order for an Auburn to win the west.  They would have to beat LSU Bama Georgia Arkansas and Ole Miss.   If they won those games and put on a crazy run.  how would that represent parity

parity is when a 3 loss team like Arkansas a few years ago gets to play in the SEC title game when they have no business being there

I give up...here's the site you've been looking for...www.tigerland.com/...I bet they have all the love you're looking for...
Goodnight to all the TRUE HOG FANS still on here...gettin my grill on tomorrow!! 

bigpigonthehill

I thought this was a Razorback forum. I did not know that there were so many Auburn fans in here. It is like having spies or something. Maybe we should charge them with treason and have a firing squad.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

Road_Hog

September 07, 2009, 01:18:24 am #43 Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:28:45 am by Road_Hog
Quote from: Michael Porkleone on September 07, 2009, 12:59:45 am
PM me the rumor AP posted.

Rumor has it that Ryan Mallet and teamate Khiry Battle got into a fight in the weight room recently. This happens all the time in college football. Do you think it's just being passionate and competitive or does Mallett have a leadership issue? I'll be interested in reading your opinions.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=298008.msg4314346#msg4314346

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 01:11:48 am
I give up...here's the site you've been looking for...www.tigerland.com/...I bet they have all the love you're looking for...
Goodnight to all the TRUE HOG FANS still on here...gettin my grill on tomorrow!! 

Goodnight.  What are we cooking tomorrow?  I like ribs and steak.

Down with the other teams in the SEC West. 

Road_Hog

September 07, 2009, 01:26:09 am #45 Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:43:14 pm by Road_Hog
No offense to Pat Doney (he seems like a really nice guy), but this is why Hogville is THE place  ???

Here's one of his posts (I know he said he interview Mallett):
I've been told by a "source" that he saw him heave it 100 yards. 
This isn't official, just a word-of-mouth report from a guy I trust.  That's all.

A source tells you he can throw the football a 100 yards and you still trust him?  Unless he's got one of those John Elway nerf rocket footballs in Denver, I'd be a bit concerned.  That's considerably higher than any of the best pro QBs or even poor QBs with strong arms.  Name me just one guy who can heave the ball 90 yards.  Mallett would be over 10% farther than that.

I'm sorry guys.  These media folks are here for their own promotion.  Very, very few move, merge, and delete posts on a regular basis.  They don't help the board operate more efficiently.  They help themselves.  Shoot, Pat has high activity with 1.5 posts per day.  Aaron Peters has a whopping 21 posts since June and a good number are promotional.

If I watch a local sports show on Sunday night, I actually watch their show (long before they came here).  I don't blame them for not spending much time here.  They can accomplish what they need without a lot of time.  I just don't want to hear another poster tell me it's a partnership. 

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I, for one, appreciate the post as a scouting report of a team we face since I did not get to see the game on TV.

Road_Hog

September 07, 2009, 01:44:26 am #47 Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:04:22 am by Road_Hog
Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on September 07, 2009, 01:36:18 am
I, for one, appreciate the post as a scouting report of a team we face since I did not get to see the game on TV.

But you get to deal with tons of people who can't see two inches past their nose.  This thread is one example of thousands why this board has went to pot.  You cull this place back down to two or three thousand folks, get these self-serving media folks out of here or actually moderating and you'll have a good board again.  Or, you can sit here and watch this or other pointless threads take shape. Pretty soon, hectorhog126 (some 48 year old) will be calling Mitch Mustain a momma's boy.  Number1HogFanfromRussellville will then chime in about how Nutt was nice to his 2nd cousin one time and off we go.

No offense to you folks from Hector or Russellville.  I had to use some town in Arkansas.  :)

chiefsfan

Quote from: ValleyHog on September 07, 2009, 01:11:48 am

Im an ASU fan...  If I evewr tried to claim to be a true razorback fan..you guys would eat me alive.   so I really could care less about not being called a true hog fan...     but thanks for trying though

Smokehouse

I love the "I'm going to click on a thread with 'X' in the title so I can tell people I don't want to read about 'X' " posts.

Such nice wasting of everyone's time.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.