Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In-Staters we "Passed" on, but with Perfect Hindsight we Should Have Pursued

Started by TheHogFan, January 30, 2007, 04:33:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 06:21:18 pm
There we go! Ziemba was gone before Malzahn left. We all knew that. Again, not saying he deserves all the blame, but if the coaches are at fault, wouldn't you agree the man directly responsible for his recruitment should shoulder some of it?

No, this is stupid and you have your head in the sand.  Gus was out recruiting ONE DAY after he was hired at Tulsa.  He was doing the same thing here.  ONE MAN can't make up for the standard of poor recruiting Dale has set up here.

You are either completely blind or you have personal, familial or religious ties to Dale.

I wish you plants would find another board to spew your unfounded hate.  Most of the posters here are well-informed and don't buy into this CRAP anyway.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hoot72

If my memory serves me correctly, Cedric Houston committed to the University of Arkansas in the spring of his sophomore year, the first to ever do that I believe.  That commitment remained solid up until less than a month before signing day, and then Tennessee entered the picture.  From that point on, nobody knew what was going to happen -- Houston bounced around like a ping pong ball.  His decision to go to Tennessee was the final factor in D. Howard's decision to go to Fayetteville.  Everybody was afraid that Fulmer was going to pull to the two top running backs out of Arkansas.
    DeAngelo Williams was indecisive about his commitment during the whole recruiting season.  He faxed his LOI to the Fayetteville on signing day with "no" written on it.  Several days later he announced that he was going to attend Memphis.
    That is guaranteed to be the truth, as well as I can remember.

HoopS

TRG felt like LZ was leaning our way before Malzahn left.   He actually talked to Lee and came away with that feeling. 

As far as Gus goes, he hauled in Mitch, Damian, Ben, Carlton, London, Ramon and M Wade in a matter of weeks last year.   I am greatful for that minor miracle he pulled last year.   You may deny it now, but we were all in Hog Heaven when those dominoes fell.

VenturaHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 30, 2007, 05:13:53 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 05:07:40 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 05:04:16 pm
Of course, there are always exceptions, but each assistent is typically assigned an area. Malzahn's was NWA, why doesn't he get a least a little of the blame?

It wasn't his fault Nutt is a total idiot.  Running him off didn't help our chances with Ziemba.

You're not making much sense, I hope your goal is not to simply flame.  Gus was the most professional coach on that staff and in a short time is showing he's a great recruiter.

He registered 6 days ago and his apparent mission is to run interference and damage control for Nutt.  Looking at his post history suggests that's his intent.

there's a whole lot of that going on these days.

Quote from: VenturaHog on January 30, 2007, 06:58:36 pm
Of course, there are always exceptions, but each assistent is typically assigned an area. Malzahn's was NWA, why doesn't he get a least a little of the blame?

It wasn't his fault Nutt is a total idiot.  Running him off didn't help our chances with Ziemba.

You're not making much sense, I hope your goal is not to simply flame.  Gus was the most professional coach on that staff and in a short time is showing he's a great recruiter.

He registered 6 days ago and his apparent mission is to run interference and damage control for Nutt.  Looking at his post history suggests that's his intent.

Yep.

By the way, looks like Gus may have just caught a big fish.  Yeah, he sure SUCKS as a recruiter...

2nd pre-season of recruiting and he is already doing a GREAT job.  WOW, THANKS DALE.

Where are you, The"HogFan"?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=113260.0;topicseen

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: The Recruiting Guy on January 30, 2007, 08:32:58 pm
Broderick IS visiting Tulsa this weekend.

Coach Malzahn took over Broderick's recruiting late summer. He and Broderick developed a very close relationship. This doesn't surprise me that he's considering Tulsa.

OUCH, The"HogFan"

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 06:25:50 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 06:21:18 pm
There we go! Ziemba was gone before Malzahn left. We all knew that. Again, not saying he deserves all the blame, but if the coaches are at fault, wouldn't you agree the man directly responsible for his recruitment should shoulder some of it?

No, this is stupid and you have your head in the sand.  Gus was out recruiting ONE DAY after he was hired at Tulsa.  He was doing the same thing here.  ONE MAN can't make up for the standard of poor recruiting Dale has set up here.

You are either completely blind or you have personal, familial or religious ties to Dale.

I wish you plants would find another board to spew your unfounded hate.  Most of the posters here are well-informed and don't buy into this CRAP anyway.
I respect your right to say so. But attacks like that just show that you have nothing when confronted with facts. I know that you must have personal,, famialial or religous ties to Malzahn, but the man is not perfect and he s not a God like many treat him on this board. Now I understand that you ofter try to discredit people with the classic, "ties to Nutt" theme that is prevelent on this board, but let e try to explain to you once more. I have zero vested interest in Nutt. I understand that it would be the easy way to write me off.

I also happen to like Malzahn a lot.  I am not sure where in any of my posts where you got that from. I have never said anything of the sort. I WANT MALZAHN TO COACH ARKANSAS IN THE FUTURE! I am not sure what more to say. In this case, I simply do not understand why (if you look at this with an unbiased mind) Malzahn does not deserve at least a little of the blame? Just bc I believe he deserves a little of the blame does NOT mean I do not think he is an excellent coach. Please stop trying to put words, thoughts in my mouth. But thank you for taking time to respond to my post. I just wish it was about the topic I originally started it for.

TheHogFan

Quote from: Hoot72 on January 30, 2007, 06:32:18 pm
If my memory serves me correctly, Cedric Houston committed to the University of Arkansas in the spring of his sophomore year, the first to ever do that I believe.  That commitment remained solid up until less than a month before signing day, and then Tennessee entered the picture.  From that point on, nobody knew what was going to happen -- Houston bounced around like a ping pong ball.  His decision to go to Tennessee was the final factor in D. Howard's decision to go to Fayetteville.  Everybody was afraid that Fulmer was going to pull to the two top running backs out of Arkansas.
    DeAngelo Williams was indecisive about his commitment during the whole recruiting season.  He faxed his LOI to the Fayetteville on signing day with "no" written on it.  Several days later he announced that he was going to attend Memphis.

"That is guaranteed to be the truth, as well as I can remember." haha This is a funny quote.

That is not how I remember either recruitment. Williams was committed up to signing day. Houston may have been offered early, but I do not remember him committing ever. I am pretty sure about this, but not positive. Maybe someone else can help up out with this?

TheHogFan

Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 06:35:51 pm
TRG felt like LZ was leaning our way before Malzahn left.   He actually talked to Lee and came away with that feeling. 

As far as Gus goes, he hauled in Mitch, Damian, Ben, Carlton, London, Ramon and M Wade in a matter of weeks last year.   I am greatful for that minor miracle he pulled last year.   You may deny it now, but we were all in Hog Heaven when those dominoes fell.

I dont deny that at all. I was in hog heaven. haha And really optimistic about GM future at Arkansas. Please also note that earlier in te thread I said i thought GM will be a fine recruiter one day.

TheHogFan

Been on this board over a year, as a Guest. But it is easier to just write people off with quip little comments like this.

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:14:22 pm
I also happen to like Malzahn a lot.  I am not sure where in any of my posts where you got that from. I have never said anything of the sort. I WANT MALZAHN TO COACH ARKANSAS IN THE FUTURE! I am not sure what more to say. In this case, I simply do not understand why (if you look at this with an unbiased mind) Malzahn does not deserve at least a little of the blame? Just bc I believe he deserves a little of the blame does NOT mean I do not think he is an excellent coach. Please stop trying to put words, thoughts in my mouth. But thank you for taking time to respond to my post. I just wish it was about the topic I originally started it for.

Bottom line is Gus has and continues to prove you wrong.  He is a GREAT recruiter and hasn't even had that much experience doing it.  Nutt can't touch his recruiting skills.

I have no ties to Gus OR Springdale.  Objectivity is a great thing to have.  You should try it sometime. 

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 07:07:17 pm

Yep.

By the way, looks like Gus may have just caught a big fish.  Yeah, he sure SUCKS as a recruiter...

2nd pre-season of recruiting and he is already doing a GREAT job.  WOW, THANKS DALE.

Where are you, The"HogFan"?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=113260.0;topicseen

Dude I do not live on here. My mood/life is not based on the state of the Hogs. Give me a chance to go grap some dinner. Geesh.
Please, please, please read my earlier post bf you put words in my mouth. I NEVER said GM sucked at being a recruiter. If you could comprehend what I read you would know that. In fact, I think with his personality, he will be not just a good recruiter but a GREAT one. I simply asked, in this particular case, that why he didn't get any of the blame from some of you Malzahnites (you guys like that one?). I beieve that is a fair question. Not EVERYTHING said against Wonder Coach is an attack.

Oh btw, BG aint going to Tulsa. He will be attending Pennsylvania State University. Just wait. In fact if he goes to Tulsa or USC. I will never post again on this board. How is that for a guarentee?

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:25:21 pm
Dude I do not live on here. My mood/life is not based on the state of the Hogs. Give me a chance to go grap some dinner. Geesh.

Please, please, please read my earlier post bf you put words in my mouth. I NEVER said GM sucked at being a recruiter. If you could comprehend what I read you would know that. In fact, I think with his personality, he will be not just a good recruiter but a GREAT one. I simply asked, in this particular case, that why he didn't get any of the blame from some of you Malzahnites (you guys like that one?). I beieve that is a fair question. Not EVERYTHING said against Wonder Coach is an attack.

Oh btw, BG aint going to Tulsa. He will be attending Pennsylvania State University. Just wait. In fact if he goes to Tulsa or USC. I will never post again on this board. How is that for a guarentee?

You can still post WHEN he goes to Tulsa.  Just don't post anymore CRAP like this thread, mmmmkay?

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:19:42 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:14:22 pm

Bottom line is Gus has and continues to prove you wrong.  He is a GREAT recruiter and hasn't even had that much experience doing it.  Nutt can't touch his recruiting skills.

I have no ties to Gus OR Springdale.  Objectivity is a great thing to have.  You should try it sometime. 

How is he  great recruiter already. I do agree however that he will become one eventually, but to call him great already is a little crazy. As far as being objective, where have I not been? I am more than willing to admit when I am wrong or am ignorant on a subject. God knows I am not perfect. But do you really believe he shouldn't shoulder any blame on loosing these guys? Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this subject.
I wish you would stop trying to make me out like I hate GM. I don't think that is very fair, especially since I have never made comments like that.

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:29:49 pm
How is he  great recruiter already.

This has been pointed out to you, in YOUR thread.  You are not paying attention.

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:27:42 pm

You can still post WHEN he goes to Tulsa.  Just don't post anymore CRAP like this thread, mmmmkay?
Do you really think that he is going to Tulsa? I am not trying to be an ass or anything, but do you really think he is going there? Do you know something I don't? That would be a great get for GM, I mean to pull something like that, this late would be HUGE for that program.

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:32:01 pm

Do you really think that he is going to Tulsa? I am not trying to be an ass or anything, but do you really think he is going there? Do you know something I don't? That would be a great get for GM, I mean to pull something like that, this late would be HUGE for that program.

Well, it would be more evidence that you and a few others (who are in the minority, btw) are wrong about Gus.  But we really don't even need this to know the truth, if we have been following him since his hiring.

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:31:29 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:29:49 pm
How is he  great recruiter already.

This has been pointed out to you, in YOUR thread.  You are not paying attention.

No it hasn't. Please point me the right way. I saw where the dude said he got his guys and London and Wade. I mean, of course he got his guys, but didn't London, Ramon and Wade come bc of their relationship with DW, formed during the all star game? I am pretty sure that was the main reason.

ALL of our TOP recruits were going elsewhere, UNTIL Gus stepped in and worked overtime to get them to come back...HOURS after he was hired.  He did more in a few hours for recruiting than DALE has done in 9 FREAKING YEARS.  Another clincher was that Nutt stayed THE HELL AWAY.

Look dude.  You can play your little "passive-aggressive" bs, but take it somewhere else.  We are on to you.  Give it a rest.

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:34:25 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:32:01 pm

Well, it would be more evidence that you and a few others (who are in the minority, btw) are wrong about Gus.  But we really don't even need this to know the truth, if we have been following him since his hiring.
Wrong about Gus? I have said several times that I think he is a great coach, and will be a fine recruiter. How am I wrong about him, if I have done nothing to critizie him, IN THIS SINGLE INCIDENT, I ASKED THE SIMPLE QUESTION, WHY DOES HE NOT GET ANY OF THE BLAME. This does not infer anything about his overall recruiting abilities, or coaching abilities. Just why in this case, he should not shoulder any blame for whiffing on these fellas.

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 04:33:15 pm
Also, wasn't Ziemba and Burns Malzahn's recruits? Why doesn't he get any of the blame for loosing them?

Here is YOUR quote.  You've been owned on this thread.  Go to your corner and give it a rest.

TheHogFan

Man, I just was trying to have a civil discussion about Hog recruiting. I have not insulted you or anyone else in this thread, despite your angry and agressive comments towards me. I thought it would be a nice change of pace from the usual type of banter on this board. You tried to bait me into your way of discussion, but I have refrained, and now you are mad about it. I will not take my "BS" elsewhere, bc I feel (and so does hsv) a little change of pace is necessary to keep things balanced.

Seriously though, Is BG really going to Tulsa?

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:40:54 pm
Also, wasn't Ziemba and Burns Malzahn's recruits? Why doesn't he get any of the blame for loosing them?

Here is YOUR quote.  You've been owned on this thread.  Go to your corner and give it a rest.

Yes, this is my quote. What is your point? I asked a question. What are you trying to prove?  I just want to know why people do not put any blame on GM?

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:43:56 pm
Man, I just was trying to have a civil discussion about Hog recruiting. I have not insulted you or anyone else in this thread, despite your angry and agressive comments towards me. I thought it would be a nice change of pace from the usual type of banter on this board. You tried to bait me into your way of discussion, but I have refrained, and now you are mad about it. I will not take my "BS" elsewhere, bc I feel (and so does hsv) a little change of pace is necessary to keep things balanced.

I posted a link for you.  I'm calling b.s.  We've had a lot of passive-agressive posts lately.

I am not talking about YOU, I am talking about YOUR THREAD and YOUR POSTS.  You said Gus deserved blame for something that is absolutely insane to blame him for.  I know he is not perfect.  But recruiting is NOT an area he has shown ONE OUNCE of weakness in.

We needed to keep him, and RECRUITING was one of the main reasons.  Don't get on here and say he deserves blame for losing recruits who left because of DALE.

SORRY.  Nutt doesn't get to run him off AND then place blame on him for losing recruits.  AND YOU are not going to get on here and do that either.

FIRE DALE

TheHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 30, 2007, 09:48:56 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:43:56 pm

I posted a link for you.  I'm calling b.s.  We've had a lot of passive-agressive posts lately.

I am not talking about YOU, I am talking about YOUR THREAD and YOUR POSTS.  You said Gus deserved blame for something that is absolutely insane to blame him for.  I know he is not perfect.  But recruiting is NOT an area he has shown ONE OUNCE of weakness in.

We needed to keep him, and RECRUITING was one of the main reasons.  Don't get on here and say he deserves blame for losing recruits who left because of DALE.

SORRY.  Nutt doesn't get to run him off AND then place blame on him for losing recruits.  AND YOU are not going to get on here and do that either.

FIRE DALE
I saw that link. That would really be great for Tulsa and GM.  I just want to warn you, that no one else has confirmed that yet. Do we have proof that we didn't get Ziemba or Burns bc of Dale? or is that an assumption? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Which is fine, but lets just be civil about it. If it comes of as passive agressive, I apologize.

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:55:00 pm
I just want to warn you, that no one else has confirmed that yet. Do we have proof that we didn't get Ziemba or Burns bc of Dale? or is that an assumption?

LMAO.  If you can't figure that out, then I'm glad you found this place.  This is the place to find truth when it comes to the football program.

OKhogfan1959

Malzhan didn't like Mallet? I don't think this is true..

Gus will do fine as a recruiter..I think London Crawford was big on him and Salters as well..Recruiting to Tulsa though will be tough...Not sure how they get any players..Terrible stadium.

Hoot72

You know as strange as this may sound, especially with Mitch having been Gus' quarterback at SHS, I believe that Gus prefers a quarterback that can run.  I believe that when he gets things rolling (and I believe that he will), you will see an attack that is very similiar to that of West Virginia.  I believe that was why he was so high on Kodi Burns, and then Michael Johnson.  Mitch was a talent that he had to use at quarterback; but, he was the prototype for a HUNH quarterback.

I have always been pro-Malzahn, you wouldn't have to check very far to find that out, but the situation on the hill was in some ways of his making.  Malzahn seems to be a goal driven, detail oriented, control freak; that also has an ego (may be not as big as HDN, but big nonetheless).  You talk to those that have been around him, or read "Year of the Dog", and those qualities come out.  I am NOT saying that is bad, but when they are put into the same situation with the personality of one HDN -- things are going to boil and bubble.  There is enough guilt in all of this, for everyone to share in the blame.  It is my hope that Gus will go off and be successful, coach his own program, and same day (within the next few years) come back as the head coach of the University of Arkansas.

Hoot72

Not smart enough to know how to edit a post already posted -- Mustain was NOT the prototype HUNH quarterback.

birdhawg

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 09:16:46 pm
Quote from: Hoot72 on January 30, 2007, 06:32:18 pm

"That is guaranteed to be the truth, as well as I can remember." haha This is a funny quote.

That is not how I remember either recruitment. Williams was committed up to signing day. Houston may have been offered early, but I do not remember him committing ever. I am pretty sure about this, but not positive. Maybe someone else can help up out with this?
Houston, absolutely was a commit just as the guy above stated. He was committed from his soph. year I think, maybe junior. But he was committed for a long time. A friend of mine is from Clarendon, and he has verified that.

Jim Harris

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 04:54:41 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2007, 04:50:56 pm
Quote from: drakehog on January 30, 2007, 04:48:14 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 04:43:40 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2007, 04:40:35 pm
DE ANGELO WILLIAMS....instead we got little Dedrick Poole whom Grit fawned over.  I saw them on the same field at the beginning of the year at the Hooten's Classic.  I said at the time D.Williams was one of the best football players I had seen.  Wasn't impressed with D.Poole...too little, nothing special.  No offense to Dedric.

I'm not even close to a football expert much less a recruiting guru. 

One of the worst misses of all time.
That is a good one. If I remember correctly though, didn't we already have Cobbs and had Howard and Poole in the same class. Plus it doesn't really fit my strict criteria :) bc he was actually committed to the Hogs (which means we recruited him) until signing day, when he switched to Memphis. But he is def one that I wish we had landed. He was magnificent at Memphis.

DeArrius Howard and Cedric Houston were in the same recruiting class. Dedrick Poole and DeAngelo Williams were in the same class a year later. Poole committed early to UA.

Whatever the reason, we let DeAngelo get away...a tragedy.  He was better than any RB we had at the time including Cedric Cobbs or D. Howard.  And he was light years ahead of D.Poole.  The Keystone Kops let him get away.
I agree. That was a big miss. But like I said earlier, it is not like we ignored him, or missed on the evaluation of his talent. He was a firm commit until signing day when he shocked the world. I think he wasnted to stay close to his family bc of an illness? I think that was him.

But if he is the only one you got, we can agree that, that is pretty impressive. Right?

Far too much attention was paid to Poole in that recruiting season, I'll grant you and everyone, but ultimately I believe D'Angelo wanted to play sooner rather than later, and he was looking at Cobbs, Talley and then Howard also being ahead of him in the immediate pecking order. We've survived not necessarily getting the great back out of Arkansas every year; heck, even Frank managed to do that. It's failing to bring in or keep a great quarterback that has been so frustrating with Nutt for the past 7-8 seasons. And, until Reggie Herring came along and began dictating about his recruiting needs and getting his way, the second-most frustrating thing about Nutt was his propensity to focus on offensive speed guys over defensive playmakers. His thought pattern was, if they didn't work out at receiver or back or O-line, he'd give em to Thompson or Wommack. Betcha Wommack wishes he had as much say in recruiting in his time here as Herring does now.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sage_dragoon

Hell, Cedric Houston verbally committed in 10th grade to HDN on Nutt's birthday even...late visit by Phillip Fulmer just before deadline got him to switch.  Deangelo Williams, was a hog verbal during his senior year. The infamous(true or not) faxing of his LOI with 'NO' on it...was it that he wanted to be near his girlfriend or the Memphis State pay up or did he just not want the competition at UA?

Kevin Williams(the DT), I believe that one was on Ford. He turned out very well didn't he?
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

jhudson84

they recruited slick shelley probably harder than anyone in that years class.  Offered him at the beginning of his junior year

jhudson84

bret smith, ricardo kemp,
bret helms (born in la so had connections) ,
greg jones (bid dt from jonesboro) had family problems and dropped out loads of potential
matt stoltz (think he is on the hill now)
The entire UAPB teammates they are in the league now

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jhudson84 on January 31, 2007, 08:40:17 am
greg jones (bid dt from jonesboro) had family problems and dropped out loads of potential

Greg Jones had no Arkansas ties.  I worked with his dad in Jonesboro.  They moved up from Jackson Mississippi in his Sophomore year, I believe, after his dad's plant in Jackson shut down.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

TheHogFan

I thought we recruited all these kids except Stoltz who we thought was too slow? And we were right about that. The other guys I think we recruited and if we didn't none of them turned out to be anything special. Kemp and Smith? eh, not bad, I wouldn't have minded haveing Smith, but Kemp hasn't done much. Helms is still playing, so I suppose we should hold off on his judgement. He also had a lot of tie to the LA area. Of course we got Luigs instead of Helms to play center, I think we got the better end of that deal.

TheHogFan

Quote from: jhudson84 on January 31, 2007, 08:37:56 am
they recruited slick shelley probably harder than anyone in that years class.  Offered him at the beginning of his junior year

I am pretty sure they offered early but then backed off of him in favor of others who THEY thought were more talented. Jury is still out on Shelly. He should have a great chance to contribute next year with the loss of Smith and Meachem.

jhudson84

I  was just saying jones was an in state player......potential but we didnt miss anything.  I truly thought they never backed off of shelley.  I think he'll be a playmaker on that team next year

LSPRazorbac

In Regards to Kevin Williams the Pro Bowl DT from Fordyce

I graduated from Fordyce in 1995, and I think Kevin was 2 years behind me so he would of graduated in 1997 could of been 3 year and 1998 though not sure.

But I think Kevin was recruited for Basketball and went to Okie State on a basketball scholarship planning to play both sports.  He ended up being a stud at Football and being drafted.

At Fordyce, he only played football his Senior Year and was tall and thin.  At Okie State he bulked up much like Jamal Anderson and played DE

SonOfMud

Cedric Houston? Nice but not spectacular college career
Stackhouse? This is probably one, but not a huge miss

Wow.  Your memory is bad.

Cedric Houston was committed to being a Hog.  He decided to take his visits, "because they are free trips".  He ended up going to Mich and Tenn.  He decommitted from the Hogs, and committed to the Vols.  He even tried to talk D. Howard into going to Tenn with him.

HDN and Danny both recruited Stackhouse very hard.  End of story.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

TheHogFan

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on January 31, 2007, 10:30:52 am
In Regards to Kevin Williams the Pro Bowl DT from Fordyce

I graduated from Fordyce in 1995, and I think Kevin was 2 years behind me so he would of graduated in 1997 could of been 3 year and 1998 though not sure.

But I think Kevin was recruited for Basketball and went to Okie State on a basketball scholarship planning to play both sports.  He ended up being a stud at Football and being drafted.

At Fordyce, he only played football his Senior Year and was tall and thin.  At Okie State he bulked up much like Jamal Anderson and played DE
That would be the last year of Ford, I think. Anyways, thanks for the insight!

TheHogFan

Quote from: SonOfMud on January 31, 2007, 10:58:19 am

Cedric Houston was committed to being a Hog.  He decided to take his visits, "because they are free trips".  He ended up going to Mich and Tenn.  He decommitted from the Hogs, and committed to the Vols.  He even tried to talk D. Howard into going to Tenn with him.

Damn 4.5 years of college! Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember Houston being committed.

Jim Harris

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 31, 2007, 11:37:15 am
Quote from: SonOfMud on January 31, 2007, 10:58:19 am

Damn 4.5 years of college! Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember Houston being committed.

He committed and decommitted from the Hogs TWICE.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: Oliverhogman on January 30, 2007, 04:52:37 pm
Burns did not go to Auburn because of Mitch.  Burns went to Auburn because they played the "race card" against Arkansas.

If you do not believe that ask Otis or Dudley.

You may should find out a little bit more about this.  Find out who really played the race card, when and why.  It wasn't Auburn that played it.

cohog

Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 05:04:11 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on January 30, 2007, 05:01:01 pm
Quote from: HoopSlap on January 30, 2007, 04:58:12 pm
wasn't Ced Houston a last minute switch?

I do not think he was. I think he committed during the season

I must be confusing him with Deangelo.  My memories were that Ced Houston switched late and that we never had Deangelo.    ???  I thought I remembered Deangelo mentioning us in an interview and wanting to show us what we missed out on.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, and maybe I am.  I would like to find out somehow, just out of my own curiousity.

Cedric Houston commited to the Hogs real early, I believe after his Soph year.  He switched to TN very close to signing day.  He and Howard were both rated in the national top ten RBs.  Arkansas keeps producing good to great RB talent.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on February 01, 2007, 09:37:00 am
Burns did not go to Auburn because of Mitch.  Burns went to Auburn because they played the "race card" against Arkansas.

You may should find out a little bit more about this.  Find out who really played the race card, when and why.  It wasn't Auburn that played it.

You are correct. Kodi's dad felt race was an issue as soon as it was known that Frank told HDN to never let Robert play QB again after the USC game. Robert confirmed to Kodi what had happened, and that was pretty much curtains for Arkansas.

Losing the father's support makes it pretty tough to win a kid's signiture.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on February 01, 2007, 09:37:00 am

Would someone please fill me in on the race card deal? PM if you can't put it on here..I have no idea about the race card?

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HawgAdvocate

Would someone please fill me in on the race card deal? PM if you can't put it on here..I have no idea about the race card?

Look one post above yours.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jim Harris

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 31, 2007, 09:06:04 am

Greg Jones had no Arkansas ties.  I worked with his dad in Jonesboro.  They moved up from Jackson Mississippi in his Sophomore year, I believe, after his dad's plant in Jackson shut down.

But he went to TENNESSEE. Not a Mississippi school. He picked UT over Arkansas. THough he may not have had as much of an in-state tie as someone who spent their life growing up in Arkansas, he was living in Arkansas when he signed with UT. He didn't go back and sign with Mississippi State, or Southern Miss or Ole Miss. Arkansas recruited him hard and didn't have enough appeal. Why?