Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What about the defense?

Started by arklahoman, September 13, 2006, 08:18:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arklahoman

I know people are worried about the offense, but the idea that it was going to be an air show complimented by the running game right off the bat wasn't realistic.
Arkansas has some Hawgs on the O-line but they aren't built to run a no-huddle spread right off the bat.
I think the offense just needs time, and will be fine, although not quick enough for many.
And for all the whining about the media and negativity from HDN and folks like Chuck Barrett, they should be happy.
With all the talk about the offense, it takes the focus off the defense, where there are as many or more issues.
Through the first two games, the defense has failed to force a single turnover.
Through the first two games, two sacks.
Through the first two games, six defensive penalties resulting in first down -- three of them on third and long.
Through the first two games, the defense has given up 6 plays of 20 yards or more (4 USC and 2 USU) and 18 plays of between 10-19 yards.
Through the first two games, the defense is giving up more than 10 yards per pass completion -- including 10.2 yards against USU.
Through the first two games, the defense is giving up 4.03 yards per rush -- including 3.5 yards to USU, and 163.5 rushing yards per game.
Against USU -- the 116th ranked offense (out of 119 teams) -- the defense gave up almost 250 yards in offense, 18 first downs and allowed a 100 yard rusher.
Yes they shut out USU, for which the defense should be applauded and the bottom line is the Hawgs won, but the USU ranking in total offense improved after their game against Arkansas.
And before anyone points out the Wyoming has the No. 4 ranked defense in the country, their other game was against Virginia, which has the 110th ranked offense in the country.
Through the first two games, the defense has been on the field about 35 mins per game.
The longer they're out there, allowing long possessions, even if they aren't giving up chunks of yards, the more opportunity there is for them to become fatigued, creating a greater chance of injury for an already thin line and LB corp.
I'm not trying to say the sky is falling, No. 1 Ohio State has the 70th ranked unit in total defense, but ranks 16th in points allowed, so total defense isn't a complete measurement of a defense, however there is reason for concern.

ballhog™

If we had any depth at linebacker, or could cover without getting pass interference, or could pressure the QB without bringing 6 I would feel fine.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

CiriusPorker

yep.  herring's system is one dimensional.  speed only.

Shocktheman

My thoughts on the Defense posted earlier.  With the focus on the offense, RH has had a free pass.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,75602.0.html

bigguy551122

herring is a joke , he wont even get up off his fat ass and recruit
perfection is all i expect.