Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is the Defense?

Started by Shocktheman, September 13, 2006, 07:08:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shocktheman

Great football teams always have great defenses.  It is not very often that a team like the USC 2005 squad comes along and breaks that tradition with multiple Heisman trophy winners and first round draft picks all on the offensive side of the ball. There have been a few stud d-lineman or linebackers that come to mind when I consider the HOGS. The upper echelon SEC teams have multiple first and second round draft picks in their defensive front 7 every year.  With that aside, Arkansas does not bring much to the defensive front to brag about.  All during the offseason and preseason there seemed to be blind optimism with regard to RH's defense.  The Hog D looked good for about 2 1/2 quarters vs USC.  They obviously were too tired to compete for four quarters, although the offense did not give them much rest.  After USC I was still optimistic that the defense would be pretty good . . . I mean we did give USC 80 offensive plays with which to rack up 472 total yards, 193 yards rushing, and 30 first downs.  Nevertheless I was optimistic heading into the USU game.  After the debacle on offense, the defense has gotten a free pass.  Consider that the Aggies had 256 total yards, 142 of which came on the ground, and 18 first downs.  Put that into perspective when Wyoming only game up 129 total yards and 6 first downs against USU.  Where is the defense.  Did they leave it on the field vs the Trojans?  I don't know.  IMO the D-line has been the most disappointing.  Losing Fairchild is a huge blow to the already depleted depth.  If the HOGS want to win games, they have got to stuff the run and apply pressure to the QB. . . it starts with the front 7.  RH had better reach into his bag of tricks, or it is going to be a long season with HOG opponents running up the score.

arkjay19

Vanderbilt will not put up double digits this weekend.  Vanderbilt they put up 10 against Alabama, their team spirit is deflated, and for some reason or another  the Razorbacks play better on the road.  Arkansas's D will be praised this weekend.