Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey and Kentucky??

Started by faulknercohog, February 02, 2008, 08:35:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lilredheadedlady

I HOPE that perhaps after he's here for several years, Coach Pelphrey will fall in love with Northwest Arkansas and the U of A and decide to stay.  I think that he was an excellent find as a coach and we really lucked into that one.

That being said, there's something about your alma mater.  Naturally it always has a special place in your heart, no matter where you live.  So if Kentucky came calling, I think Coach Pelphrey would take that job. 

Hopefully though, we'll get to keep him here for a while.  I haven't see fire like that on the ball court since Nolan's early days, and I know Razorback fans are glad that Pel is here.
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

Mick Hogger

Then why did he allude to the same thing as others are saying about tarnishing his legacy when he was hired? I know I read a direct quote about those concerns coming from him.

Might want to tell Coach Pelphrey to quit sharing things with you and telling the rest of the world something else.

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 02:46:36 pm
well, I've said all I know to say.....the answer is simple.  Pel will be on a plane to UK the second he gets the call.  Nothing will change that...it's his entire life's dream.

mm
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Uncle_dad

A good comparison is Steve Alford.  The Indiana job has opened up a couple of times, but he's removed himself from consideration.  I think he knows more than anyone else the expectations that would be put on him if he took that job.  He's happy to develop winning programs and tournament teams elsewhere.

Here's hoping that Pel thinks the same way.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Mick Hogger on February 04, 2008, 04:43:20 pm
Then why did he allude to the same thing as others are saying about tarnishing his legacy when he was hired? I know I read a direct quote about those concerns coming from him.

Might want to tell Coach Pelphrey to quit sharing things with you and telling the rest of the world something else.

Dude, not sure what quotes you are talking about, but Pel bleeds blue more than anyone I know...and I know a TON of UK blue bloods. 

His remark about "tarnishing his legacy" was made in response to a question given him....his point was that if he went to UK and stunk it up, that they'd give him heck, no matter what his legacy was....lol.  It was more a matter of fact joking response...not a remark to mean that he wouldn't take the job.

It's simple....Pel goes to UK the second they offer him the job.  Billy's there for a while, however, and Pel will do great things for Ark....I'll help him anyway I can...I know that.

Pel is about the nicest, most genuine guy you can EVER meet...he's really THAT classy of a guy.

mm

HogMavFan

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 06:10:53 pm
Dude, not sure what quotes you are talking about, but Pel bleeds blue more than anyone I know...and I know a TON of UK blue bloods. 

His remark about "tarnishing his legacy" was made in response to a question given him....his point was that if he went to UK and stunk it up, that they'd give him heck, no matter what his legacy was....lol.  It was more a matter of fact joking response...not a remark to mean that he wouldn't take the job.

It's simple....Pel goes to UK the second they offer him the job.  Billy's there for a while, however, and Pel will do great things for Ark....I'll help him anyway I can...I know that.

Pel is about the nicest, most genuine guy you can EVER meet...he's really THAT classy of a guy.

mm
How do you know him?

Marc Maggard

Quote from: HogMavFan on February 04, 2008, 11:11:53 pm
How do you know him?

I am a basketball scout.  I see him at events all the time.  I run Roundball Recruiting, a national scouting service for colleges.  We have the same circle of bball friends...well, a circle of people somehow connected to UK.  I saw him last in Vegas for the Reebok summer championships and spoke to him for a bit.  I'll see him in April during the live period as well. 

mm

HogMavFan

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:16:16 pm
I am a basketball scout.  I see him at events all the time.  I run Roundball Recruiting, a national scouting service for colleges.  We have the same circle of bball friends...well, a circle of people somehow connected to UK.  I saw him last in Vegas for the Reebok summer championships and spoke to him for a bit.  I'll see him in April during the live period as well. 

mm
So you have a casual relationship with him? Does that make you an expert on what he thinks and how he feels? If things work out as planned and we go sweet sixteen or better by the time you see him in April, his blood may have changed to Razorback Red. People change and many people live happy, successful , fulfilled lives at other schools besides their alma maters.

kbrew31

February 04, 2008, 11:29:30 pm #57 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:31:05 pm by kbrew31
Quote from: HogMavFan on February 04, 2008, 11:26:19 pm

So you have a casual relationship with him? Does that make you an expert on what he thinks and how he feels? If things work out as planned and we go sweet sixteen or better by the time you see him in April, his blood may have changed to Razorback Red. People change and many people live happy, successful , fulfilled lives at other schools besides their alma maters.

Trust me.  I hate kissing his rear end, but Marc has a circle of interesting connections.  He is totally hooked up, and unfortunately knows his stuff.  I've met John twice so it makes me a nobody.  But Marc is right.  If you cut Pel open, he's bleeding blue. 

By the way, I'm voting Luther!  Loved it when he said he was in too bad a shape to give himself a heart attack.  Man, I miss that show!  BTW, Marc looks like Dauber!

Marc Maggard

Quote from: HogMavFan on February 04, 2008, 11:26:19 pm

I never said it was a "casual" relationship.  And I'm not interested in posting my professional or personal relationships on a message board.

I can assure you, I know him well enough...and his people well enough....to know that he'd come to UK in a split second.  Everyone who knows him knows this.

mm

HogMavFan

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:41:58 pm
I never said it was a "casual" relationship.  And I'm not interested in posting my professional or personal relationships on a message board.

I can assure you, I know him well enough...and his people well enough....to know that he'd come to UK in a split second.  Everyone who knows him knows this.

mm
You may be right but it seems like everyone involved with Kentucky basketball assumes that every coach and player wants to go there and they all act like experts on everything basketball so forgive my skepticism. All I'm saying is that if Pelphrey has the success here that we all hope and expect, in a few years his loyalty may change and this my become "home".

mathhog

Quote from: HogMavFan on February 04, 2008, 11:54:32 pm
You may be right but it seems like everyone involved with Kentucky basketball assumes that every coach and player wants to go there and they all act like experts on everything basketball so forgive my skepticism. All I'm saying is that if Pelphrey has the success here that we all hope and expect, in a few years his loyalty may change and this my become "home".

here were a few situations that i think he'd leave:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=203492.msg3150717#msg3150717

Ahenso

Get us a national championship and then he can go to his home. Hes jersey is in their rafters i just hope he gets us another one to hang in BW before he leaves for the blue.

lyon98

Pel and KY would be like Bear Bryant and Alabama when he was at texas a&m. "It was like hearing mama calling."
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

40MINSOFHELL

i wish,just my opinion, that coach petino would go back to kentucky, then arkansas vs. kentucky rivalry will be back :D

Marc Maggard

You really read too many message board posts....lol.

I'm quite outspoken in my knowledge that not everyone wants to come to UK.  It is a huge pet peeve of mine when people say something like "why isn't UK being listed by Xavier Henry" or something like that.....they totally ignore the fact that Henry's dad was an all american at Kansas and he wants to play close to home or in an "up and down" style of play.  They just think that if UK calls, they should be on the top of the list no matter what...haha.

But Pel is a different animal.  He's the definition of a UK blue blood.

mm

lyon98

Some people would even crawl to Lexington on their hands and knees to be the KY coach.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.