Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We can outbid Kentucky....

Started by U.P. HOGG, February 04, 2008, 01:31:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

U.P. HOGG

If it ever came to Kentucky looking to get Pel from us.  Tell me I'm not wrong. Please!!! We paid the money for a football coach, can we or can we not pay for Pel?  Granted its his first year, but 2-0 against AP and USAToday top 25 teams and a big win against State and Florida has got me pumped on this guy.  Watching the game got me so pumped.  I haven't felt like that in many years.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 04, 2008, 01:33:02 pm
Kentucky is starting to like BCG again.  I don't think we will have to worry about losing Pel for some time.

Good to hear that they enjoy BCG, I hope it stays that way because I see great things for the Hogs in the coming years.  I just believe that we are a big enough program to keep coaches here even if its not their home school.  Just call me a homer I guess.

hogsailor

I was talking with one of our sales people today who has contacts at Kentucky he's known for a long time.

They told him they hope Pel has 20+ seasons for the next 4-5 years then runs for home.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

Marc Maggard

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on February 04, 2008, 01:35:28 pm
Good to hear that they enjoy BCG, I hope it stays that way because I see great things for the Hogs in the coming years.  I just believe that we are a big enough program to keep coaches here even if its not their home school.  Just call me a homer I guess.

You are a homer....lol

First off, I doubt you could outbid UK for a bball coach....not that it would matter.  Pelphrey is the one coach in the nation who would take LESS money to come coach UK. 

It won't happen for many years, but one day, Pel will coach at UK if he continues to be a success.  It's nothing against Ark, cause they are a great bball program, but Pel is a Ky boy...born and bred and he bleeds blue.  I guess you'd have to grow up in it to understand it.

mm

U.P. HOGG

February 04, 2008, 02:01:00 pm #5 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:28:11 pm by U.P. HOGG
Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 01:57:30 pm
You are a homer....lol

First off, I doubt you could outbid UK for a bball coach....not that it would matter.  Pelphrey is the one coach in the nation who would take LESS money to come coach UK. 

It won't happen for many years, but one day, Pel will coach at UK if he continues to be a success.  It's nothing against Ark, cause they are a great bball program, but Pel is a Ky boy...born and bred and he bleeds blue.  I guess you'd have to grow up in it to understand it.

mm

Your right, growing up a die hard Razorback, I will never understand what its like to breathe and bleed your team colors.  (Much Sarcasam)

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 01:57:30 pm
You are a homer....lol

mm

I think there is a good chance he WON'T ever coach at Kentucky.  Billy G. is going to do good things in Lexington.  I've said it in another post that I think there is a good chance that Billy G, Billy D, and Pel will be winning 80% of the SEC championships over the next two decades.  I think it's only a matter of time before all three overtake Bruce Pearl.  I also don't think UT will be able to hang on to him as long as they would like.  UT is a no-doubt football school with women's basketball playing second.  He's heading to a monster payday at a basketball school I figure.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on February 04, 2008, 01:31:44 pm
If it ever came to Kentucky looking to get Pel from us.  Tell me I'm not wrong. Please!!! We paid the money for a football coach, can we or can we not pay for Pel?  Granted its his first year, but 2-0 against AP and USAToday top 25 teams and a big win against State and Florida has got me pumped on this guy.  Watching the game got me so pumped.  I haven't felt like that in many years.

I dont think money would be much of an issue. If Pelphrey even talks to Kentucky, it will most likely be a done deal.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

gohogsgo006

Quote from: HogZ28 on February 04, 2008, 02:07:14 pm
when Pel wins big here he may not want to go to Kentucky.   i dont know his exact words but I think Pel said something that it wouldn't take much for his rep at Kentucky to be tarnished if he coached there and didnt do to well....

true that.

1) Stay here and rebuild the Arkansas legacy with your name attached, or

2) Guy to Alma Mater (the school that gave you the chance to play) with big time prestige and fans with open arms.

Just depends on how he feels when/if the time comes
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on February 04, 2008, 02:17:01 pm
true that.

1) Stay here and rebuild the Arkansas legacy with your name attached, or

2) Guy to Alma Mater (the school that gave you the chance to play) with big time prestige and fans with open arms.

Just depends on how he feels when/if the time comes

he'd go to KY eventually if he had the chance and I would totally understand. look at roy williams and kansas. no one thought he'd ever go back to NC, but he did.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

idiotghos

Just be glad we have him while we do.  If he's here for 5 years or 30, he's still going to leave his mark on the program.

kuhog

If Kentucky comes calling, Pel will most definately listen. Then after listening, he would be packing his bags for Lexington.

However, I think we're safe for quite a few years.

NuttinItUp

Gillespie will get at least 2 more years to prove himself before they give him the boot. I think he will probably get the team turned around by that point and we won't have anything to worry about.

Beaverfever

First of all, we couldn't.  Second of all, it wouldn't be about money.

George S. Pigton

Most people thought Les would run home to Mama too, but it was about
the money.  He could make more at LSU and have better facilities.

That said, I think JP is not a money guy, he would go because it is KY,
it is home.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

NuttinItUp

People always get on people for being "all about the money". Personally, I want a guy that is motivated by money because someone can't get more money unless they are successful. If we have someone that wants to get paid more, the only way they can do that is to be a successful coach.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 04, 2008, 05:09:10 pm
Gillespie will get at least 2 more years to prove himself before they give him the boot. I think he will probably get the team turned around by that point and we won't have anything to worry about.

You may want to catch a UK game here in the next week or two.....BCG has the team playing great right now....every play looks MUCH improved.  UK just beat GA at home.....you guys know that's not an easy game....and did it with two of his best players out and Crawford on a hobbled foot (had to come out last 10 minutes).

BCG is in NO trouble AT ALL.  Stop reading the idiots on Rupps Rafters....lol

mm

taintlint

February 04, 2008, 06:13:33 pm #17 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:42:55 pm by taintlint
First, BG would need to leave.

Second, Pel would need to succeed to a degree that peaks Uk's interest. If Pel has that success, we will be better off than when we came.

Third, in the circumstance that he does leave, our success will make finding a new coach much much much easier than trying to find one after Stan Heath sunk the ship.

Keep in mind that according to Street & Smith, we are the #8 Bball program of all time behind Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, and Louisville. By contrast, according to cfbdatawarehouse, our football program is #27 all time and just hired Bobby Petrino.

If Stan Heath wasn't such a "nice guy" and Frank would not have been 117 years old, his ass would have been canned right off the bat and we would have had any number of great coaches in 2003.

I'm not worried either way.

NuttinItUp

February 04, 2008, 06:19:45 pm #18 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:21:43 pm by NuttinItUp
Quote from: taintlint on February 04, 2008, 06:13:33 pm
If Stan Heath wasn't such a "nice guy" and Frank would not have been 117 years old, his ass would have been canned right off the bat and we would have had any number of great coaches in 2003.
I don't think anyone would can a coach after only one season unless they did something major. (got arrested or something) 3 years is about the minimum anyone gives a coach. He should have probably been gone after the 2004-05 season though when we hadn't even made the NIT tourney for 3 straight years.

I am not complaining, though, cause we probably wouldn't have Pel if we had done that, and I think we got very, very lucky with hiring him.

taintlint

February 04, 2008, 06:23:40 pm #19 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:42:28 pm by taintlint
Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 04, 2008, 06:19:45 pm
I don't think anyone would can a coach after only one season unless they did something major. (got arrested or something) 3 years is about the minimum anyone gives a coach. He should have probably been gone after the 2004-05 season though when we hadn't even made the NIT tourney for 3 straight years.

I know. I was exaggerating a tad. ;)

I was just trying to add a little perspective here. We are one of the elite Bball programs around. Very few schools (Kansas, Louisville, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, and UNC) have our banners, facilities, funding, support, and vision.

In football, Nebraska has experienced this lull but no one would dare consider it to be less than one of the most powerful programs of all time with major upside. We were down and out for several years due to piss poor coaching. The problem has been fixed and we WILL NOT have an issue finding a top coach next time around.

arkjay19

Maybe, but it's not guaranteed that we would.  Fortunately, it looks like we're not going to have to worry about it for quite some time.

Hoggy1

IMO i think Pel stays, just seems to me he will be faithful to Arkansas, after all...UofA did give him his first shot at the big time.  I believe Pel makes his legacy here.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Marc Maggard

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 04, 2008, 07:23:34 pm
IMO i think Pel stays, just seems to me he will be faithful to Arkansas, after all...UofA did give him his first shot at the big time.  I believe Pel makes his legacy here.

faithful to Arkansas?  You are talking about a kid who grew up in Paintsville, Ky and was one of the Unforgettables....his jersey is one of the few that hangs from the rafters in Rupp arena. 

I'm not saying this to crack on Arkansas, because I think they are a storied bball program.....one of the best in the nation historically....but don't get it in your head that Pel won't leave for UK.....he will. 

Luckily, he'll have Arkansas at the top of the NCAA by the time BCG leaves UK....ARK will get another great coach if Pel leaves.....but I hope Ark fans don't get upset or feel cheated if he leaves, cause if UK offers, he'd crawl to Lexington....I'm sure there are ARK kids who have that same dream to coach the Razorbacks.

mm

Hoggy1

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 07:42:05 pm
faithful to Arkansas?  You are talking about a kid who grew up in Paintsville, Ky and was one of the Unforgettables....his jersey is one of the few that hangs from the rafters in Rupp arena. 

I'm not saying this to crack on Arkansas, because I think they are a storied bball program.....one of the best in the nation historically....but don't get it in your head that Pel won't leave for UK.....he will. 

Luckily, he'll have Arkansas at the top of the NCAA by the time BCG leaves UK....ARK will get another great coach if Pel leaves.....but I hope Ark fans don't get upset or feel cheated if he leaves, cause if UK offers, he'd crawl to Lexington....I'm sure there are ARK kids who have that same dream to coach the Razorbacks.

mm

Les Miles is a Michigan boy and didn't go bolting for Ann Arbor, we won't know for sure until the day comes.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Marc Maggard

February 04, 2008, 07:52:04 pm #24 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:53:38 pm by Marc Maggard
Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 04, 2008, 07:48:26 pm
Les Miles is a Michigan boy and didn't go bolting for Ann Arbor, we won't know for sure until the day comes.

Two different animals.....I can't speak for Les Miles....I can tell you with GREAT CONVICTION, that Pel will go to UK the second they ask him. UK basketball to a kid from the hills of Paintsville...a kid who has his jersey hanging....it's just a different thing.

hahaha....and it's funny that I have 8 negative points just cause I am being honest with you guys....lol

mm

taintlint

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 07:52:04 pm
Two different animals.....I can't speak for Les Miles....I can tell you with GREAT CONVICTION, that Pel will go to UK the second they ask him. UK basketball to a kid from the hills of Paintsville...a kid who has his jersey hanging....it's just a different thing.

hahaha....and it's funny that I have 8 negative points just cause I am being honest with you guys....lol

mm

What you call honesty is really nothing more than speculation. The number of coaches at their alma mater are slim. Am I saying Pel has a disdain for Kentucky? Of course not! What I'm saying is to boldly proclaim that Arkansas, or any school for that matter, is a development ground for Kentucky's next coach is simply absurd.

That is not a knock against you personally.

stronguard

I don't think anybody knows for sure what will happen.  I'm sure Coach P has a great deal of love for his home state just like we all do.  I also know that different types of people find happiness in different ways. 

By the time UK comes a calling, Pel may have turned this thing completely around.  He may be pulling 25+ wins per year and have the highest salary this side of the ACC.  If this happens then he has built a legacy here, and it would be tough to leave it, even if it meant returning home.

It's also possible that he took this job just so UK will notice him.  What better way to be noticed than by beating their a$$ every single year.  I expect to do just that starting very soon.  If he whips them enough for them to want him as their next coach then he has done his job here and we will move on with our integrity and tradition re-established.

As long as we are a winning program that makes an annual trek towards the final 4 then I will be satisfied.  Let the suitors come calling for our coach, if we are winning big it would be hard to leave the HOGS.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: taintlint on February 04, 2008, 08:47:37 pm
What you call honesty is really nothing more than speculation. The number of coaches at their alma mater are slim. Am I saying Pel has a disdain for Kentucky? Of course not! What I'm saying is to boldly proclaim that Arkansas, or any school for that matter, is a development ground for Kentucky's next coach is simply absurd.

That is not a knock against you personally.

Actually, it's not speculation at all.  I am a paid basketball scout and have had numerous conversations with not only John, but people who have known him for decades.  There is not a single person I know that isn't 1 million percent convinced that Pel will crawl to Lexington if he had the opportunity to coach.  To him, it's not just a job...it's his lifelong dream.  It's his end game. 

And I'm not forwarding the concept that Arkansas is the training ground for UK to come in and hire coaches...lol.  That's ridiculous and an insult to a great program like Arkansas.  It has nothing to do with what school Pel is at.  His dream is to coach UK. 

He's going to be at Arkansas for a plenty long while, however.  UK doesn't have any openings and won't for a while.  And while he's at Ark, I will cheer loud as hell for him to win every game cept against UK....I can't even begin to tell you guys what an absolute class guy he is....nobody is better....Hats off to Arkansas for making a great hire.

mm

kbrew31

just a thought to mull over...  UK paid Tubby's salary for the entire season by selling the rights to 8 courtside seats.  Thats right, $250,000 spankies per bottom cushion per year.  You should see some of the guys who sit in those seats...  Prettiest guys you'll ever see lol!  Seriously, the only team that can outbid UK for a basketball coach is/was the Boston Celtics.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: kbrew31 on February 04, 2008, 11:08:27 pm
just a thought to mull over...  UK paid Tubby's salary for the entire season by selling the rights to 8 courtside seats.  Thats right, $250,000 spankies per bottom cushion per year.  You should see some of the guys who sit in those seats...  Prettiest guys you'll ever see lol!  Seriously, the only team that can outbid UK for a basketball coach is/was the Boston Celtics.

if you want to keep your +14/-1 applaude/smite ratio, you better stay out of these Pelphrey threads....lol.  I'm as big an Arkansas fan as any rival fan could be and I'm getting the smite smited outta me for being honest....lol

mm

kbrew31

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:13:08 pm
if you want to keep your +14/-1 applaude/smite ratio, you better stay out of these Pelphrey threads....lol.  I'm as big an Arkansas fan as any rival fan could be and I'm getting the smite smited outta me for being honest....lol

mm

I've been on a few of em already!  I just curb my smote appeal by bad mouthing you at the end of my threads... Keeps my positive mana flowin.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: kbrew31 on February 04, 2008, 11:14:45 pm
I've been on a few of em already!  I just curb my smote appeal by bad mouthing you at the end of my threads... Keeps my positive mana flowin.

Just wait till you see what I do to your "legend" status back on our board!!!!

mm

kbrew31

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:18:54 pm
Just wait till you see what I do to your "legend" status back on our board!!!!

mm

Thanks...  I needed that laugh.  I'm sure you'll put me at the polar opposite of Huss.  I'm feelin a -50 or so legend status.  Its all good, I've earned it!

mathhog

February 04, 2008, 11:27:58 pm #33 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:33:24 pm by mathhog
Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 07:52:04 pm

mm

mark, i believed that too when pel came, but the more i think about it, there's a chance he could stay here, if a bunch of things aligned.

i understand the thrill of 'unforgettable from paintsville', but answer me this:

1. what if kentucky had a vacancy but the ky athletic dept resembled arkansas' athletic dept, circa 2006? (crazy ad, lying harassing fb coach that controlled the show, a good ole boy network from marketing down to the tiniest assistant)  imagine the feeling we hog fans had about the hogs athletic DEPARTMENT last year.  if i was a legend coach (haha) and arkansas wanted me as coach under broyles and with nutt still running the ath. dept., back in 05 or 06 or after emailgate, i'd say "NO.. not until you change things"

2. what if he won a national championship here, or, say, got to a few final fours, had an awesome team ranked preseason top 5 coming back, but kentucky fired billyG after he went like 5-11 in the sec one year...  you HONESTLY think he'd pass on a good chance to win a TITLE to REBUILD his 'hometown'?  isnt there something to be said about coaches wanting a ring as well?

3. what if he, you know, actually FALLS IN LOVE with living in Arkansas?  Know its hard to belive, but NWA is beautiful, one of the nation's best kept secrets... i know everyone says that, but the proof is in the numbers: census-wise, nwa is one of the 5 fastest growing metro areas in the country.  what if he also falls in love with the state, with his position as front page of section C1 hero figure for the whole state, for being the most recognizable man in an entire STATE with NO rivals, NO competition, NO pro team... what if he honestly likes it here? 

4.  what if his FAMILY loves it here, even though he wants to return?  if mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY HAPPY!

5.  why can arkansas not 'outbid' kentucky? i know kentucky is the top program of all time, and the eternal top in the sec, but have you driven down razorback road in fayetteville?  it ain't like the admins hold back on spending $$$.  i mean a tyson is on the board of trustees, and walmart money built the business school.  you really think if he's a valuable commodity arkansas would balk at paying some insane $4-5 million range (assuming salaries keep rising)

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:13:08 pm

mm
Crying about being smited tends to increase your smites, just fyi.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 04, 2008, 11:29:17 pm
Crying about being smited tends to increase your smites, just fyi.

haha..trust me, it's not legit crying.  I'm the owner of Kentucky Ink and Roundball Recruiting....I'm used to a LOT more than a smite or two....I just find it funny.

mm

Marc Maggard

Quote from: mathhog on February 04, 2008, 11:27:58 pm
mark, i believed that too when pel came, but the more i think about it, there's a chance he could stay here, if a bunch of things aligned.

i understand the thrill of 'unforgettable from paintsville', but answer me this:

1. what if kentucky had a vacancy but the ky athletic dept resembled arkansas' athletic dept, circa 2006? (crazy ad, lying harassing fb coach that controlled the show, a good ole boy network from marketing down to the tiniest assistant)  imagine the feeling we hog fans had about the hogs athletic DEPARTMENT last year.  if i was a legend coach (haha) and arkansas wanted me as coach under broyles and with nutt still running the ath. dept., back in 05 or 06 or after emailgate, i'd say "NO.. not until you change things"

2. what if he won a national championship here, or, say, got to a few final fours, had an awesome team ranked preseason top 5 coming back, but kentucky fired billyG after he went like 5-11 in the sec one year...  you HONESTLY think he'd pass on a good chance to win a TITLE to REBUILD his 'hometown'?  isnt there something to be said about coaches wanting a ring as well?

3. what if he, you know, actually FALLS IN LOVE with living in Arkansas?  Know its hard to belive, but NWA is beautiful, one of the nation's best kept secrets... i know everyone says that, but the proof is in the numbers: census-wise, nwa is one of the 5 fastest growing metro areas in the country.  what if he also falls in love with the state, with his position as front page of section C1 hero figure for the whole state, for being the most recognizable man in an entire STATE with NO rivals, NO competition, NO pro team... what if he honestly likes it here? 

4.  what if his FAMILY loves it here, even though he wants to return?  if mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY HAPPY!

5.  why can arkansas not 'outbid' kentucky? i know kentucky is the top program of all time, and the eternal top in the sec, but have you driven down razorback road in fayetteville?  it ain't like the admins hold back on spending $$$.  i mean a tyson is on the board of trustees, and walmart money built the business school.  you really think if he's a valuable commodity arkansas would balk at paying some insane $4-5 million range (assuming salaries keep rising)

Yes, I think Pel would leave an undefeated team to coach UK if they had 13 guys like me coming in.

He went to UK DURING THE PROBATION YEARS!!!!

And I'm sure he will LOVE living in Arkansas.....he may spend 10 years there and love it....but he was born and raised a few miles down the road from Lexington and spent over two decades there.  He is a Kentucky guy to the core. 

Money won't be a factor at all.  he's already got more than he ever thought he'd have....he's not a money guy.

He'll do great things at Arkansas....but if UK comes open and they want Pel, he will take that job in a second.

mm

kbrew31

(coach that controlled the show

I see your valid points but...

A FB coach will never rule the roost at UK, and no good ole boy network will have their fingers on the program that tightly.  Just ask Travis Ford!  Pel could fall in love with Arkansas, but there is that first true love.  Ya know?  Hard to explain that without sounding like a Romeo pimp...

mathhog

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 04, 2008, 11:39:11 pm

Yes, I think Pel would leave an undefeated team to coach UK if they had 13 guys like me coming in.

He went to UK DURING THE PROBATION YEARS!!!!

And I'm sure he will LOVE living in Arkansas.....he may spend 10 years there and love it....but he was born and raised a few miles down the road from Lexington and spent over two decades there.  He is a Kentucky guy to the core. 

Money won't be a factor at all.  he's already got more than he ever thought he'd have....he's not a money guy.

He'll do great things at Arkansas....but if UK comes open and they want Pel, he will take that job in a second.

mm

what if mrs. pel or the little kids don't want to leave?  would he take the job?

(silly question, just curious about him)

Marc Maggard

Quote from: mathhog on February 04, 2008, 11:40:36 pm
what if mrs. pel or the little kids don't want to leave?  would he take the job?

(silly question, just curious about him)

Mrs. Pel would know coming into it that when UK calls, everyone packs it up.

mm

kbrew31

RedSatinHog

I've said it before, and I'll say it again right now.  BCG will leave Kentucky one day for one of the NBA jobs in Texas, and Pel will go to Lexington on the drop of a hat.  He bleeds Kentucky blue.

Sorry, the truth always hurts.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd