Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

***OFFICIAL "I LIKE MIKE MONTGOMERY" THREAD***

Started by Table Rocker, March 31, 2007, 10:08:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on March 31, 2007, 10:39:39 am
If our other choices are Altman or Sadler, then Mike looks like a clear choice.  He's not somebody that personally gets me all excited about next year's season.  He doesn't have any experience in this part of the country at all does he?  Seems like he would have to really be ready to hit recruiting hard in SEC country.

I don't see him being the guy, but we could do worse. 

I think that's what bothers me most about our situation . . . . we're down to guys that we are going to react to by saying, "well, I guess it could be worse" instead of being really excited about the hire.

MM should never be mentioned in the same sentence as DA and DS.....

Hawgustus Maximus

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:45:42 am
Quote from: Hawgustus Maximus on March 31, 2007, 10:42:21 am
I don't care who we get as long as he can coach and he has fire in his eyes and a willingness to fight until 3 days after the world ends.

No more Mr. nice guy. Warriors can have ethics too.

I want to see battle royale.

There is no shame losing when you leave it all on the floor (field).

I AM SICK OF COACHES MORE ADEPT AT POLITICS THAN TEACHING MOTIVATING AND RECRUITING.

I want a coach that is a winner and class person who will represent the university well, MM is both.

Agreed

Table Rocker

Quote from: CalHog on March 31, 2007, 10:46:13 am
nd
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:15:48 am
the only thing that concerns me is that he was born and raised in California, farthest east he's been is Colorado and he currently resides in CA. I hope we can flash enough money at him that he makes a move to the Ozarks.

There is nothing wrong with being born in Ca.  I was and I love Arkansas and will be back ther as soon I can.

i'm not saying there is all at, but he literally has no ties to arkansas let alone the south, that's my only concern.

Hogtropolis™

Table Rocker

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 10:49:11 am
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:47:36 am
Quote from: CalHog on March 31, 2007, 10:46:13 am
nd
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:15:48 am
the only thing that concerns me is that he was born and raised in California, farthest east he's been is Colorado and he currently resides in CA. I hope we can flash enough money at him that he makes a move to the Ozarks.

There is nothing wrong with being born in Ca.  I was and I love Arkansas and will be back ther as soon I can.

i'm not saying there is all at, but he literally has no ties to arkansas let alone the south, that's my only concern.

Time for this d--- state to get a little culture and get away from the good ole boys.

i'm all for it, but can we lure him here, that's the question. our new coach can be from New York City, London or Antartica, if he wins ball games he will be loved.

TransAmHawg

Is he as old as Frank?
26 years as head coach+ NBA time+ assistant coaching or high school coaching or both = old dude.
  We need the coach for the next 10-15 years that will build us into a perennial top 10 team with a top 5 every two[ to three years. Someone who will grow the program while becoming an elite coach.
While MM does have an impressive resume. He's also from the west coast. We need someone who has ties to the south and can recruit players from lil'ol'Arkansas.
We also have the problem of the Masters. Frank has got more important things to do than worry about this past Sunday. Frank has got to hire quick or it will get in the way of his real purpose for being in Georgia.
  The old grey ghost has lost his mind and will hire someone that makes everyone go, HUH???????????  Who???????  Da&^%$it Frank!!!!!!!!!!

This all does not look promising.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Hawgustus Maximus

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
That could be a bonus. A great coach recruits nationwide. Picks and chooses.

Table Rocker

Quote from: TransAmHawg on March 31, 2007, 10:50:37 am
Is he as old as Frank?
26 years as head coach+ NBA time+ assistant coaching or high school coaching or both = old dude.
  We need the coach for the next 10-15 years that will build us into a perennial top 10 team with a top 5 every two[ to three years. Someone who will grow the program while becoming an elite coach.
While MM does have an impressive resume. He's also from the west coast. We need someone who has ties to the south and can recruit players from lil'ol'Arkansas.
We also have the problem of the Masters. Frank has got more important things to do than worry about this past Sunday. Frank has got to hire quick or it will get in the way of his real purpose for being in Georgia.
  The old grey ghost has lost his mind and will hire someone that makes everyone go, HUH???????????  Who???????  Da&^%$it Frank!!!!!!!!!!

Coach K is 60, how's he holding up? 60 is not old anymore people, especially coaching. He has another 10-15 coaching in him. And if he has the same kind of success here that he did at Stanford we can hire a big name (like a Self or Donovan) when he retires.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 10:38:50 am
He puts Self's and lil Billy G's resumes to shame.  We couldn't be any more lucky he is available right now.
I would say that his resume is better than Self's, but I wouldn't go as far to say that he puts Self's resume to shame.  BG's resume on the other hand is put to shame by his. 

Table Rocker

and everyone please spare me the "well he's from california", who gives a stuff??????? if he does here what he did at stanford he'll be worshipped here no matter where he's from.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: J Man on March 31, 2007, 10:38:34 am
No to Montgomery.  We will be bringing him out of retirement.  That would reduce his social security benefits.  Leave Montgomery in the old folks home and go with Grant!
He's not in retirement.  He was fired from the GSW on August 29, 2006, which is too late to get a job for the 2006-2007 season.  From my understanding he is actively looking for a job and wants to coach.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:54:28 am
and everyone please spare me the "well he's from california", who gives a stuff??????? if he does here what he did at stanford he'll be worshipped here no matter where he's from.
agreed

Hawgustus Maximus

Agree, but couldn't you express yourself with a little more color.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hawgustus Maximus on March 31, 2007, 10:57:25 am

trying to quell the argument hard and fast....

...that's what she said

Hawgustus Maximus

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:58:03 am

...that's what she said
I can't believe you said that. Arguments are never quelled on this board, they just fade away for awhile.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hawgustus Maximus on March 31, 2007, 11:00:43 am
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:58:03 am

...that's what she said
I can't believe you said that. Arguments are never quelled on this board, they just fade away for awhile.

i like to think of myself as a MM Defender!

Hawgustus Maximus

Not a bad position to take in my opinion. Sort of interesting if lil' ol' Aarkysw leads the way again in jumping out of the local gene pool.

Hogtropolis™

Table Rocker

TushCrush

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:53:16 am
Is he as old as Frank?

Coach K is 60, how's he holding up? 60 is not old anymore people, especially coaching. He has another 10-15 coaching in him. And if he has the same kind of success here that he did at Stanford we can hire a big name (like a Self or Donovan) when he retires.

Coach K is on the tail end of a run at Duke, not the beginning. Rebuilding the Arkansas program is gonna take 24/7 and an innovative approach. 60+ might be a limiting factor in the innovative approach category.

Hollywood_HOGan

anderson would be a great hire.

However, theres too much water under the bridge.

Freakin Frank Broyles didnt step aside, therefore we won't get a big caoch.

Porkem

After reading MM's bio I have to say I'm very impressed.  But he's a west coast guy...too California for us I'm afraid.  Would he fit in if he came here?  He has by far the best resume of any coach who we have a shot to guess.  I say offer him the job QUICK!!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Table Rocker

Quote from: TushCrush on March 31, 2007, 11:15:16 am
Is he as old as Frank?

Coach K is on the tail end of a run at Duke, not the beginning. Rebuilding the Arkansas program is gonna take 24/7 and an innovative approach. 60+ might be a limiting factor in the innovative approach category.

if he wins who cares if you're innovative? look at MM's resume he turned Stanford, an academic school with NO basketball history into a national contender. imagine what he could do here with much easier academic requirements.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 31, 2007, 11:16:37 am
anderson would be a great hire.

However, theres too much water under the bridge.

Freakin Frank Broyles didnt step aside, therefore we won't get a big caoch.

Anderson?  We're talking about Mike Montgomery.

playboy

Damn, Montgomery is a lot older than I thought he was.  60 years old?  Do we want to do that?

TushCrush

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 11:21:33 am
Quote from: TushCrush on March 31, 2007, 11:15:16 am
Is he as old as Frank?

if he wins who cares if you're innovative? look at MM's resume he turned Stanford, an academic school with NO basketball history into a national contender. imagine what he could do here with much easier academic requirements.

Sure man ... if he wins we're golden. The point I was trying to make is that in our situation it might take an innovative approach to win. Look at Heath - this job ate his lunch.
I wouldn't mind MM ... but he probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Table Rocker

Quote from: playboy on March 31, 2007, 11:28:17 am
Damn, Montgomery is a lot older than I thought he was.  60 years old?  Do we want to do that?

because he wins. he gives us 10-15 years like he did at stanford we'll be in position to actually hire a top notch young coach when he retires.

playboy

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 11:31:36 am

Why not?  If he's taken care of himself, 60 is not old.   He's probably got 8-10 years left.  Coaches don't need to stay longer than that anyway.  His resume is in a different category than any realistic choice we have right now including that redneck in Starkville West.

I agree, I'd take him for sure.  That just shocked me a bit because he doesn't really look like he's 60.

TushCrush

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 11:33:01 am

because he wins. he gives us 10-15 years like he did at stanford we'll be in position to actually hire a top notch young coach when he retires.

10 to 15 years? I'll be dead by then. Bummer.  :(

Table Rocker

Quote from: playboy on March 31, 2007, 11:34:25 am
Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 11:31:36 am

Why not?  If he's taken care of himself, 60 is not old.   He's probably got 8-10 years left.  Coaches don't need to stay longer than that anyway.  His resume is in a different category than any realistic choice we have right now including that redneck in Starkville West.

I agree, I'd take him for sure.  That just shocked me a bit because he doesn't really look like he's 60.

especially being a coach, they usually age faster than regular people

HogsGranpa

Quote from: Karma on March 31, 2007, 10:24:18 am
Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

Have to admit, very disappointed.  60 years old starting over new at a new school. 

Can not factor this with college players.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 31, 2007, 11:40:50 am
this is a good thread.
I'm surprised more don't know about Mike Montgomery. 

Arkiebrian

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 11:46:33 am
Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 31, 2007, 11:42:55 am
Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

Have to admit, very disappointed.  60 years old starting over new at a new school. 

I don't understand.  What is the problem with his age?  3 years ago he could win 30 games at an acad school in a power conf and now he is too old? 

Exactly...

What the young recruits will like, especially the hotdogging ones will be his NBA experience.

quest4excellence

He is not my top choice but I like him alot more then any of the mid-major guys.  Bring on Mike

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

hogblade

I'd rather have Anthony Grant, but I like the idea of Montomgery way more than most of the proven names out there.

I'm starting to come to the realization that Broyles won't even interview Grant much less think about hiring him depsite the fact he will be a constant force within 2-3 years. Never the less, If we have to have PROVEN, I'd be down with Montgomery

HogsGranpa

March 31, 2007, 11:59:41 am #85 Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:02:46 pm by HogsGranpa

I don't understand.  What is the problem with his age?  3 years ago he could win 30 games at an acad school in a power conf and now he is too old? 
I think it will hurt in recruiting, and there can not be fire in the belly, as when he was younger.

He will be coaching in the SEC against Donavan, Kennedy, etc.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 11:48:01 am

Exactly...

What the young recruits will like, especially the hotdogging ones will be his NBA experience.

nice avatar

HoopS

I Like Mike.  Bring Him To The Hill!

Arkiebrian

nice avatar
Thanks...

We're doing a good job keeping this topic up front, aren't we?

Table Rocker

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 31, 2007, 11:59:41 am

I think it will hurt in recruiting,

he had great recruiting classes at stanford with MUCH STRICTER academic requirements then at arkansas. this actually makes me giddy to think of the types of classes he could get here.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 12:01:53 pm

nice avatar
Thanks...

We're doing a good job keeping this topic up front, aren't we?

the buzz is spreading

Arkiebrian

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 12:05:00 pm
I said MM names two months ago not realizing the lack of awareness of who he is here.  Good to see a few open minds today and the positive attn he is getting.  We couldn't be more lucky if he is interested. 

The more I read about him and ponder the situation I think he sounds even better than BCG.

hawgtime

not Mike!

he has NOT upside and will not have the energy we NEED to get back on TOP!!!!

Arkiebrian

Quote from: hawgtime on March 31, 2007, 12:18:12 pm
not Mike!

what does "NOT upside" mean?

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've read the facts and changed my mind.  I would just say since he has been West guy that he needs two assistants very familar with the south.  I would say any coach would be well served to get some extra $'s to hire Scott Edgar as his top assitant.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Table Rocker

Quote from: hawgtime on March 31, 2007, 12:18:12 pm
not Mike!

this might be the worst post ever

hoggal10

Go For It:  I like M & M's.  Go Hogs!!!

hogfansince1964

Does Montgomery still have the fire in the belly to do recruiting?

bigyellowdog

I am on the Mike bandwagon.  60 is not old.  He'll feel like a kid next to Frank.   ;)

Table Rocker

LET"S HOPE HE'S ON THAT MOTHA F-IN PLANE!