Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's alway a game of Hit or Miss

Started by snoot hoggy hog, February 03, 2016, 10:44:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

I will never forget what Chris Gragg said in response to DGB not coming to Arkansas

"I ball with whoever shows up." -Chris Gragg

Don't get caught up in the hype of stars and rankings. Coach Kurt Anderson was one of the highest ranking linebackers coming out of high school. Dre Greenlaw was headed to Arkansas State. Encourage the kids that come to ball out and stop stressing yourself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/114050/signing-day-2015-howd-the-impact-decisions-from-the-sec-turn-out

moses_007

It appears the top notch boys we hosted the last two weekends are going elsewhere.  You read where they loved it here, really liked the coaches and the facilities, yet decided to go elsewhere.  What can Arkansas do to change that?  I am disappointed that we didn't get a couple of them at the very least.  Looks like we struck out.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 10:57:19 am
It appears the top notch boys we hosted the last two weekends are going elsewhere.  You read where they loved it here, really liked the coaches and the facilities, yet decided to go elsewhere.  What can Arkansas do to change that?  I am disappointed that we didn't get a couple of them at the very least.  Looks like we struck out.

Gotta get some more dubs

Hollywood_HOGan45

We need to get on the big stage. Not just winning the Liberty and Texas bowls.

jjdlc

Answer:  Sustain success on the field. 

Our coaches have proven they are top notch recruiters, they've a lot of really good recruits to give us serious consideration.  Now we have to prove we can maintain success.

hawg IQ

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 03, 2016, 10:44:48 am
I will never forget what Chris Gragg said in response to DGB not coming to Arkansas

Don't get caught up in the hype of stars and rankings. Coach Kurt Anderson was one of the highest ranking linebackers coming out of high school. Dre Greenlaw was headed to Arkansas State. Encourage the kids that come to ball out and stop stressing yourself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/114050/signing-day-2015-howd-the-impact-decisions-from-the-sec-turn-out
I think after looking at last years class combined with this year's class, the hogs has more studs than they have had in a while. The collective athletic base is there to go compete anywhere against anyone.
  The one big worry of course is injuries and depih. A team like Arkansas has to get some luck in that area. This past year's team got killed with injuries, but still managed a decent season.

One always worries about skilled and secondary folks. I think we are good everywhere else. If development is attained as expected at qb/rb area hogs, we are good.
5 star kids end up about 50-50 on panning out as stellar athletes. After all, its the first 22 that count the most.
  I see 6-8 kids in this class that's a can't miss, 6-8 that contribute nicely and 6-8 that maybe in the development stage. I would grade it a little above average, but not really exceptional, but pretty good overall.
go hogs go !

buldozer

No one is more disappointed than me. You said it, we struck out. I think this group of coaches have to "build up" to getting this level of recruits. Walk before they can run so to speak. At least the coaches put out the effort unlike some staffs we have had in the past. They are getting the kids on site, the facilities are up to par, they know how to compete. I think the next steps are to win more games and get in on these kids earlier. Basically, it should be a self fulfilling goal.... you just keep working it and it keeps getting better.... but you never give up.

And I am convinced the university needs to dump more funds into recruiting also. When the top SEC programs are spending twice what we do... even though we have a more up-hill battle to begin with, you know we will not compete on an even basis with those schools

Wildhog

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 03, 2016, 11:01:13 am
I think after looking at last years class combined with this year's class, the hogs has more studs than they have had in a while. The collective athletic base is there to go compete anywhere against anyone.
  The one big worry of course is injuries and depih. A team like Arkansas has to get some luck in that area. This past year's team got killed with injuries, but still managed a decent season.

One always worries about skilled and secondary folks. I think we are good everywhere else. If development is attained as expected at qb/rb area hogs, we are good.
5 star kids end up about 50-50 on panning out as stellar athletes. After all, its the first 22 that count the most.
  I see 6-8 kids in this class that's a can't miss, 6-8 that contribute nicely and 6-8 that maybe in the development stage. I would grade it a little above average, but not really exceptional, but pretty good overall.

Really?  I think our 2015 class is considerably better. A LOT of studs in that group.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Why this post?  Are some people now upset about this year's class?

I thought this was a solid class?

Wildhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 03, 2016, 11:10:17 am
Why this post?  Are some people now upset about this year's class?

I thought this was a solid class?

It is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WMHawgfan

Winning will help land some of the top out of state talent but honestly what we need is more development at the high school level in state. We need to produce more blue chip athletes that want to stay home.

Tortfeasor

Get them here for the last recruiting weekend.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 11:04:36 am
Really?  I think our 2015 class is considerably better. A LOT of studs in that group.

Too early to tell. They're both solid. This class has Agim, though.

Let's all take a moment to realize that with either BP or HDN, this class kills us due to lack of in-state talent this year.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Vantage 8 dude

Not sure what the answer is except continuing to improve on the field-obviously the more we win the more likely it is we draw better kids who who might actually want to sign-and do what we can to "improve the brand". I believe despite the criticism by some our coaches have pretty much done all the can do. While we've obviously missed on some evaluations and/or perhaps offered late for whatever reason(s), you just have to review your recruiting process and make adjustments accordingly.

I still believe that one of the big factors over the long term are the relationships you develop with kids, their parents and various high school coaches. I think that for us, usually dealing from a somewhat disadvantaged position, that is a particularly key component.

moses_007

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 03, 2016, 10:57:29 am
We need to get on the big stage. Not just winning the Liberty and Texas bowls.

Well, Petrino had us there, and very close to being in the running for the national championship his last year.  The big question is, can CBB get us back to that plateau?

Wildhog

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 11:18:08 am
Well, Petrino had us there, and very close to being in the running for the national championship his last year.  The big question is, can CBB get us back to that plateau?

He can't afford to regress this year.  If we do, it'll be tougher to sell ourselves as a "program on the rise."
1909/1964/1965/1977

20hog11

If players like Agim, and Whaley had waited until NSD to announce their commitment, then we would all be singing a different tune. We signed everyone that we expected to sign and this is a solid class.

JoePaul03

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 03, 2016, 10:44:48 am

Words to live by...In recruiting and everything else.
WCOB, 2003

jgphillips3

When you go after the elites, you can't possibly sign them all and anyone delusional enough to think we were going to get most of the guys who came on the 22nd was always going to be disappointed.  However, when you pull an 0-fer with no hits out of that group, that's a tough pill to swallow.  If Fulton somehow came through at the last moment, the opinion of where we are could once again swing up since 1 or maybe 2 of that group was all we could truly, sensibly, hope for.

moses_007

I felt like Porter was the key to having a great recruiting season.  We badly needed him in our offense.  I can't believe we lost him to Texas. 

So far today hasn't been anything to cheer about.

All we've managed to do is sign those kids already committed.

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, this is a typical recruiting class and ending for us.  Got some nice players and a handful of guys wanted by the big boys...like most other years.  FB tradition and geography are biggest hurdles.  Can't move the campus 600 or 700 miles ESE. 

Fortunately, I think BB will continue maintaining better assistants than we're used to having and also limit the player attrition we've been used to seeing in the past.  I think he does a good job of not wasting scholarships just to get bodies...makes the most of what he gets.  I think we're probably about to enter into a phase of the program where we can redshirt more kids each class...even the more talented kids that would have otherwise played as true F.  That's significant for us.

One block at a time.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 11:27:33 am
I felt like Porter was the key to having a great recruiting season.  We badly needed him in our offense.  I can't believe we lost him to Texas. 

So far today hasn't been anything to cheer about.

All we've managed to do is sign those kids already committed.

Closing with a whimper.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 11:32:11 am
Closing with a whimper.

It is what it is and the norm.  It's where we've been as a program for a long time.  Will take lots of time to change it. 

We have to stop putting so much stock into what a kid says during and right after a visit.  Most of them are well adjusted individuals who will likely say the same things on every visit.  They're usually on a high.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

moses_007

I can't recall us ever signing a kid that made his selection choice on NSD.  If I was the coach, I wouldn't go after any kids that wait that long to announce.  I'd be after boys that would commit earlier. 

moses_007

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 03, 2016, 11:37:47 am
It is what it is and the norm.  It's where we've been as a program for a long time.  Will take lots of time to change it. 

We have to stop putting so much stock into what a kid says during and right after a visit.  Most of them are well adjusted individuals who will likely say the same things on every visit.  They're usually on a high.
And quit putting any stock in dadgummed tweets from these athletes!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 11:41:27 am
I can't recall us ever signing a kid that made his selection choice on NSD.  If I was the coach, I wouldn't go after any kids that wait that long to announce.  I'd be after boys that would commit earlier. 

Kirkland was the last stud I recall.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 03, 2016, 11:37:47 am

Oh, this is pretty much exactly what I expected.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawg IQ

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 11:04:36 am
Agim, Hammonds, Whaley types in this class,as good as many other sec recruits. admit we didn't get the numbers as 15, but I was combining the two classes.

issues here like recruiting fair/honest approach to a very small state isn't easy. You understand the Bamas and such are very much name brand schools, then you compete against them and then the cheaters and buying players such as Ol Miss did, comes into play.
  Its a slow process and if anybody knows about exciting or enticing recruiting magic, please contact BB and staff. They are not just intentionally losing better talent on purpose, I assure you.
go hogs go !

moses_007

I think the key is getting these boys to commit during their visit here.  If we can't do that, we lose out.

Not one single surprise signee today... unless we land Fulton.  I suspect he'll sign with LSU.

hawg IQ

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 11:48:05 am
I think the key is getting these boys to commit during their visit here.  If we can't do that, we lose out.

Not one single surprise signee today... unless we land Fulton.  I suspect he'll sign with LSU.
You could kinda read the hand writting on the wall when those 2=3 stars committed in the last couple days. It is what it is..sometimes you strike out trying for the big boys. We didn't see a lot of movement in early January, that was kinda telling also.
go hogs go !

Wildhog

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 03, 2016, 11:44:42 am
Agim, Hammonds, Whaley types in this class,as good as many other sec recruits. admit we didn't get the numbers as 15, but I was combining the two classes.

issues here like recruiting fair/honest approach to a very small state isn't easy. You understand the Bamas and such are very much name brand schools, then you compete against them and then the cheaters and buying players such as Ol Miss did, comes into play.
  Its a slow process and if anybody knows about exciting or enticing recruiting magic, please contact BB and staff. They are not just intentionally losing better talent on purpose, I assure you.

Who said they are? 

And '15 had Storey, Froholdt, O'Grady, Gragg, Merrick, Rogers, Ledbetter, Bell, Town... All big-time recruits.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Quote from: moses_007 on February 03, 2016, 11:48:05 am

Fulton is almost a must for our secondary.

HotlantaHog

It may be solid, but ranks 33rd on Rivals.

Top 15.
1. Florida State
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Clemson
5. Ole Miss
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Georgia
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Florida
12. UCLA
13. Auburn
14. Baylor
15. Tennessee

DeltaBoy

More miss than hit most years but the past 2 been pretty good we are getting a solid class.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

moses_007

Fulton picks LSU, as expected. Nothing today whatsoever to get excited about, except we didn't have any kids flip elsewhere at the 11th hour.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 11:49:58 am
Who said they are? 

And '15 had Storey, Froholdt, O'Grady, Gragg, Merrick, Rogers, Ledbetter, Bell, Town... All big-time recruits.
don't understand " who said they are" statement. They are 4 stars along with Capps, Heinrich and Guidry. Lot of 3-4 stars in this class depending on different rankings. Beside Town was a transfer. Not arguing 15 was a good class or not. Remember during recruiting season we lost some coaches like Pittman , who was a good recruiter.
I am disappointed also , especially after December dead period. It was like few inroads there on getting a couple or more of big name talents to commit. Don't know what went wrong really ??
go hogs go !

moses_007

It's obvious today that BB isn't able to close the deal on nationally rated players.  All of us should have just slept in until noon.

jfred59

Ask the Ole Missy boosters how to and how much green to drop.....

HotlantaHog

I kinda hate to rely on recruiting rankings because there are always outliers... there is always a team like Boise State that has terrible rankings and ends up with a Top 5 team ... They are not everything. Coaching up and getting underrecruited and underranked kids matters. But still, they are the only data that is out there. And while they may be wrong in lots of cases, cumulatively they matter. If there is better data out there, I would love to see it. I am a person who believes in data, and not saying the data is wrong just because I don't like what it is telling me.

If we are not getting as highly ranked kids as Clemson, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Kentucky, if I were CBB I would want to do an autopsy and figure out why and what can be done to change that.

moses_007

I voiced my concerns about how recruiting was going to wind up on Jan. 19th, but I got shot down and the thread was moved to vents and rumors.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608002.0

Now do you see why I was so concerned?

Wildhog

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 03, 2016, 12:05:40 pm
don't understand " who said they are" statement. They are 4 stars along with Capps, Heinrich and Guidry. Lot of 3-4 stars in this class depending on different rankings. Beside Town was a transfer. Not arguing 15 was a good class or not. Remember during recruiting season we lost some coaches like Pittman , who was a good recruiter.
I am disappointed also , especially after December dead period. It was like few inroads there on getting a couple or more of big name talents to commit. Don't know what went wrong really ??

Town counted against the '15 class, so he was rightfully included.

And the "Who said they are" was in response to your assurance that they aren't missing the talent on purpose.

Now that Fulton has committed to LSU, it's still pretty clear that '15 was a better class.  That's not to say '16 isn't a good class, because it is. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

passinghog

DeltaBoy

We missed more than hit this year.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 03, 2016, 02:23:45 pm
We missed more than hit this year.

It started fairly promising and progressively became worse after about 11:30am.

pigroots

10-12 of these kids have got to make significant contributions with a couple being studs to make this class a success. No matter how highly or lowly rated a class is,that is typically the standard to judge it by.Time will tell but CBB has a history of sending players to the NFL from lower rated classes than this