Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk to the D-League

Started by AlmaHog2011, December 25, 2017, 05:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Cure on December 26, 2017, 08:27:18 pm
Call it whatever you want, but at some point try to get that hurt off your chest.

I have no idea what that means.  Hurt off my chest?  I'm (wildly) guessing you are suggesting I'm hurt by Malik Monk's decision.  I'm not.  I think it was a stupid move on his part, but it didn't hurt me.  I think our basketball program was better off without him.  If that's not what you meant, you will need to clarify.

But I still think your statement that I should happy when any Arkansan makes the NBA is laughable.  Why on earth would that matter to me?  Or anyone?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

rude1

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 26, 2017, 08:46:29 pm
I have no idea what that means.  Hurt off my chest?  I'm (wildly) guessing you are suggesting I'm hurt by Malik Monk's decision.  I'm not.  I think it was a stupid move on his part, but it didn't hurt me.  I think our basketball program was better off without him.  If that's not what you meant, you will need to clarify.

But I still think your statement that I should happy when any Arkansan makes the NBA is laughable.  Why on earth would that matter to me?  Or anyone?
Ironically while he is claiming others are "hurt", he and one or two more are the ones who felt it necessary to come into this thread and defend Monk, obviously their feelings were "hurt" by the things being said about their hero.......................

FATHAWG08

All of Marcus's reasons Malik needed to go to Kentucky have blown up in his face. If Malik does turn it around and becomes a solid NBA player it won't be that Coach Cal got him ready.
I love off season Football!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 26, 2017, 09:18:07 pm
All of Marcus's reasons Malik needed to go to Kentucky have blown up in his face. If Malik does turn it around and becomes a solid NBA player it won't be that Coach Cal got him ready.

This is the point.
[CENSORED]!

JenksHawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 25, 2017, 05:58:00 pm
To point out what a mistake it was for him to go play for Calipari.  The guy cann't develop players and doesn't prepare them like Anderson does.

I hope this is sarcasm?

The Hogfather

The real Hogules

Quote from: JenksHawg on December 27, 2017, 12:39:01 am
I hope this is sarcasm?

PLEASE tell us what preparation for the NBA, other than practicing against other 5* players that UK players receive that they couldn't receive at Arkansas, or most any other program for that matter?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

RacinRazorback

I hope he ends up back in Lepanto with nothing! Hopefully they won't want him there either! Got scammed by his own brother and Calislimmy, poor stupid soul!

The Hogfather

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 27, 2017, 07:30:17 am
PLEASE tell us what preparation for the NBA, other than practicing against other 5* players that UK players receive that they couldn't receive at Arkansas, or most any other program for that matter?

Anderson develops players individually much better than Calipari could ever dream of.  His system might not translate the best to the next level, but he develops them individually well enough for them to adapt quickly.  I remember all the talk about Portis being lost and won't be able to play in the NBA soon.  Don't hear that much anymore since he's averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds in only 22 minutes a game.

Calipari does the opposite.  He gets insanely talented players, doesn't develop them at all for the year they are there, runs a system that translates well to the NBA, and just lets them do whatever the F they want.  Many of them underperform based on their talent.  I blame Calipari.  Guys like Goodwin/Monk/Harrison twins, etc. would've done much better to have a year or two under Anderson.  They might not get drafted as early, but they'd probably last much longer in the NBA because they develop all aspects of their game.

3of5-2

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 27, 2017, 08:13:44 am
Anderson develops players individually much better than Calipari could ever dream of.  His system might not translate the best to the next level, but he develops them individually well enough for them to adapt quickly.  I remember all the talk about Portis being lost and won't be able to play in the NBA soon.  Don't hear that much anymore since he's averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds in only 22 minutes a game.

Calipari does the opposite.  He gets insanely talented players, doesn't develop them at all for the year they are there, runs a system that translates well to the NBA, and just lets them do whatever the F they want.  Many of them underperform based on their talent.  I blame Calipari.  Guys like Goodwin/Monk/Harrison twins, etc. would've done much better to have a year or two under Anderson.  They might not get drafted as early, but they'd probably last much longer in the NBA because they develop all aspects of their game.
Other than the ONE(Portis) guy you mentioned, exactly how many players has CMA "developed" for the NBA?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: RacinRazorback on December 27, 2017, 07:42:22 am
I hope he ends up back in Lepanto with nothing! Hopefully they won't want him there either! Got scammed by his own brother and Calislimmy, poor stupid soul!

WOW! Get your life together because hoping for someone's downfall shows a lot about your character. The last time I checked Arkansas Razorbacks this season look a lot better than Kentucky basketball this year. Monk not coming to Arkansas did not destroy the program.

The Hogfather

December 27, 2017, 08:51:01 am #111 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:19:40 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 27, 2017, 08:32:57 am
Other than the ONE(Portis) guy you mentioned, exactly how many players has CMA "developed" for the NBA?

Fallacious argument because of the amount of talent he usually has to develop.  He does more with less.  Calipari  does WAAAAAAAAAAAAY less with more.  Think about guys like Qualls (who was very minimally developed when he came to Arkansas and probably would've gotten drafted), Portis, and Demare Carroll.  These are guys that coming into college were thought to not have a shot to be impact players in the NBA.  I think Qualls would've done better than his draft position indicated he should before injuring his knee.  He still has a chance to prove to be an impact guy in the NBA.  Those are guys who either never would've gotten to the NBA or would've been out of the league already if they "developed" under Calipari.  Any coach can "develop" guys like Anthony Davis/John Wall, etc.  All it takes is getting them to let you use them for a year.

colemjh

Quote from: 20gauge on December 26, 2017, 03:07:43 pm
He got sent for a grand total of one game according to the Charlotte observer article. Then out on the road. Being done to get him PT and development. I'd expect a couple more trips there. You guys will get more chances to post articles. Maybe he will make it, maybe he won't. Been plenty of guys hang around the NBA for years based on potential.

Look for the one and done rule to be changed in the next CBA. Silver hates it and wants it gone. Wants to use the G-league as a minor league if possible. Could possibly see something similar to football.

I follow the Houston Rockets and they have a player thar plays in the G-league and then sits on the bench for the Rockets games. Otherwise he would not get much playing time. This might be the case with Monk.

Dionysos25

You guys just don't understand. Calipari prepares you for the league. He runs a prep program for the draft. He's gonna launch your career. Going anywhere else would be a mistake for this type of player.. Other teams aren't equipped to handle this level of talent.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Inhogswetrust

I have no problem with players in any sport going where they feel is best for them. At Arkansas we have to have players from other states to be successful for the most part in any sport. The issue I have is when one doesn't handle the recruiting process well. THEN when they get somewhere else and act bad the way some do I can't wish them well. Never disrespect people at home either before you leave or while you are gone.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rude1

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 27, 2017, 10:02:56 am
You guys just don't understand. Calipari prepares you for the league. He runs a prep program for the draft. He's gonna launch your career. Going anywhere else would be a mistake for this type of player.. Other teams aren't equipped to handle this level of talent.
This is the sale job that Cal uses, the reality is that more blue chip players come to Ky, thus more lottery picks come from Ky, and it leaves Cal to claim it's because of him. When the reality is that a top prospect will get drafted no matter where he goes, just look at Ben Simmons, went as the No. 1 overall pick, played for a not so good LSU team that didn't make the tourney, yet still was taken with the first pick.

Fan701

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 27, 2017, 08:51:01 am
Fallacious argument because of the amount of talent he usually has to develop.  He does more with less.  Calipari  does WAAAAAAAAAAAAY less with more.  Think about guys like Qualls (who was very minimally developed when he came to Arkansas and got drafted), Portis, and Demare Carroll.  These are guys that coming into college were thought to not have a shot to be impact players in the NBA.  I think Qualls would've done better than his draft position indicated he should before injuring his knee.  He still has a chance to prove to be an impact guy in the NBA.  Those are guys who either never would've gotten to the NBA or would've been out of the league already if they "developed" under Calipari.  Any coach can "develop" guys like Anthony Davis/John Wall, etc.  All it takes is getting them to let you use them for a year.
I agree with you that MA rarely has a player coming in who's judged to be NBA caliber, unlike Calipari, who has a teamful every year.  Yes, the big difference between Arkansas and Kentucky is that MA has to make do with way less, though MA gets good players, and they stay more years, which compensates somewhat.  We get a five star player about once a decade.  Cal has a whole team of them every year.  But I take issue with your saying Qualls was drafted.  He wasn't.  He might have had a shot at being drafted had he not been injured.

rude1

Quote from: Fan701 on December 27, 2017, 10:21:25 am
I agree with you that MA rarely has a player coming in who's judged to be NBA caliber, unlike Calipari, who has a teamful every year.  The big difference between Arkansas and Kentucky is that MA has to make do with way less, though MA gets good players, and they stay more years, which compensates somewhat.  We get a five star player about once a decade.  Cal has a whole team of them every year.  But I take issue with your saying Qualls was drafted.  He wasn't.  He might have had a shot at being drafted had he not been injured.
Ummmm he didn't say Qualls was drafted, he said,

" I think Qualls would've done better than his draft position indicated he should before injuring his knee."

Completely true statement as Qualls was rapidly moving towards low first round status during workouts before the knee injury.

Hogimus Prime

Can anyone name a player, that was not a blue chip 5star, that Cal has developed into a NBA player since he has been at Kentucky? Someone will say Willie Cauley Stein, but he never developed he was just an atheltic 7footer that after 3 years was still the same player he was when he stepped on campus. Any other kid at any other school for 3 years would've been knocked for his age and lack of development

RealHog

I'm not saying Mike is any better than Cal, or rooting against Monk really, but it sounds like a lot of big Calipari fans in this thread. Secret Ky fans lurking on other boards maybe? Seems like a thing they would do. Plenty of other schools send players to the league besides slick Cal.

RealHog

And you know if Monk had come to Arkansas and then went to the D League, Cal would tell all future Arkansas guys it was because he didn't go to KY.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 27, 2017, 10:02:56 am

Right, like Ben Simmons.  Calipari turned him into a lottery pick star.  Wait, what?  Totally ruined his career going to LSU.  Wait, no?

East TN HAWG

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 26, 2017, 08:51:37 am
No, this shows your complete lack of knowledge about the NBA. Rosters are full of guys that can't defend, and a lot that can't score. A lot has to do with how much a team has invested, or not invested in a player. The only reason Melo is still playing, coming off the bench, is because OKC overpaid for him, and now they are stuck with an overpriced veteran that is past his prime. Malik will be fine, either way. He played in the league, something most people on HV will never ever do.
This is BS!!  Funny thing is I felt the same way (about NBA not playing defense) until I went and watched the Hawks and Bucks a few years ago.  I also believed that an elite college team could compete with a poor NBA team.  I was wrong on both accounts.

I've never seen anything like it.  When the defender gave a player a couple of inches, they scored.  Not just the stars, but all of them.  They all move like gazelle even the centers.  It appears like they don't play defense, but its simply because the players are so good offensively.  TV does not do the NBA justice.  Those guys are freaks.       

The Hogfather

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 27, 2017, 11:29:28 am
This is BS!!  Funny thing is I felt the same way (about NBA not playing defense) until I went and watched the Hawks and Bucks a few years ago.  I also believed that an elite college team could compete with a poor NBA team.  I was wrong on both accounts.

I've never seen anything like it.  When the defender gave a player a couple of inches, they scored.  Not just the stars, but all of them.  They all move like gazelle even the centers.  It appears like they don't play defense, but its simply because the players are so good offensively.  TV does not do the NBA justice.  Those guys are freaks.       

Yes, it might look like they don't play good D because they score so much, but it is only because they are so damm good at scoring. 

Adam Stokes

Normally the argument is that "if you are good enough to play in the NBA you can play anywhere" for college. I'm a believer of that. However I've done past statistical analyses that show that going to Kentucky increases your draft stock, better than similarly ranked 5-star recruits out of high school. Could repost if needed. It is certainly arguable whether or not it is due to to development or hype, I'd go with the latter. But if you simply want to get to the league, Kentucky is still one of the best places to go.

Anderson has too low a sample size because he hasn't recruited enough blue-chippers to see how they would fare. This is his 7th year coaching the team and Bobby is the only one to have been drafted. Not a great stat when you think of the dozens that have come and gone. You can certainly try to make the argument that Anderson does a better job developing his players than Cal, but he hasn't gotten a single 4-star drafted. Hasn't gotten a single 3-star drafted either. Had Kingsley as the preseason SEC player of the year and let him fall off a cliff. I seriously doubt Monk would've been developed any better here than he would've at Kentucky. Still wish we would've gotten to see. Monk is going to be riding his rookie contract while stewing in the G-League, and Kentucky likely got him more $$$ in that contract than Arkansas would've. He'll also be getting better competition in the G-league than he would've in college. So he is probably still benefiting from coming early as his game doesn't translate well. Monk would've been a great college player, but that was never his ambition.

Traveler9

G League assignments don't mean what they used to. The new NBA schedule, designed to allow more rest/recovery, has fewer back to back road games, which means fewer two and three day breaks between home games for organized team practices. If you watched Cavs vs Warriors on Christmas day, you heard Jeff VanGundy and Mark Jackson discussing how some teams literally aren't practicing during the season.  It's become common for NBA teams with tight player rotations to send young players down for short G-League stints as a replacement for practice/scrimmage time. For the Hornets this is easy, since Greenville is only a 90 minute drive from Charlotte.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Traveler9 on December 27, 2017, 12:22:05 pm
G League assignments don't mean what they used to. The new NBA schedule, designed to allow more rest/recovery, has fewer back to back road games, which means fewer two and three day breaks between home games for organized team practices. If you watched Cavs vs Warriors on Christmas day, you heard Jeff VanGundy and Mark Jackson discussing how some teams literally aren't practicing during the season.  It's become common for NBA teams with tight player rotations to send young players down for short G-League stints as a replacement for practice/scrimmage time. For the Hornets this is easy, since Greenville is only a 90 minute drive from Charlotte.

That's fine, but the guy was struggling.  Shooting 34% overall and not contributing much else.

rude1

Quote from: Traveler9 on December 27, 2017, 12:22:05 pm
Spin it all  you want but the FACT is you don't send a player who is part of the rotation as a contributor down to the G-league, you send guys who are struggling down to the G-league to get them some playing time in hopes of improving their game.

Fan701

Quote from: rude1 on December 27, 2017, 10:29:27 am
Ummmm he didn't say Qualls was drafted, he said,

" I think Qualls would've done better than his draft position indicated he should before injuring his knee."

Completely true statement as Qualls was rapidly moving towards low first round status during workouts before the knee injury.
Reading comprehension?  He wrote: "[Qualls] was very minimally developed when he came to Arkansas and got drafted."  It's simply not true.  Qualls was a fine player, never drafted, though.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 27, 2017, 12:47:48 pm
Reading comprehension?  He wrote: "[Qualls] was very minimally developed when he came to Arkansas and got drafted."  It's simply not true.  Qualls was a fine player, never drafted, though.

You are correct.  I meant to type "and probably would've gotten drafted".  My fault.  Editing now.

3of5-2

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 27, 2017, 01:19:13 pm
You are correct.  I meant to type "and probably would've gotten drafted".  My fault.  Editing now.
Would've, should've, could've. Nice.

3of5-2

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 27, 2017, 11:29:28 am

Well I'm glad to hear that you were able make the 180 after seeing ONE NBA game. Every team that has comes to OKC to play, go through long stretches of half ass defense just to get the game over quicker. This is true especially during games in November-January. It's entertainment, and they know the fans just want to see the stars shine. Nothing really happens till a week or two before the All Star break, by then, the top 4 seeds from each conference are pretty much set, and the also rans jockey to get in the playoffs.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 27, 2017, 12:00:38 pm
Normally the argument is that "if you are good enough to play in the NBA you can play anywhere" for college. I'm a believer of that. However I've done past statistical analyses that show that going to Kentucky increases your draft stock, better than similarly ranked 5-star recruits out of high school. Could repost if needed. It is certainly arguable whether or not it is due to to development or hype, I'd go with the latter. But if you simply want to get to the league, Kentucky is still one of the best places to go.

Anderson has too low a sample size because he hasn't recruited enough blue-chippers to see how they would fare. This is his 7th year coaching the team and Bobby is the only one to have been drafted. Not a great stat when you think of the dozens that have come and gone. You can certainly try to make the argument that Anderson does a better job developing his players than Cal, but he hasn't gotten a single 4-star drafted. Hasn't gotten a single 3-star drafted either. Had Kingsley as the preseason SEC player of the year and let him fall off a cliff. I seriously doubt Monk would've been developed any better here than he would've at Kentucky. Still wish we would've gotten to see. Monk is going to be riding his rookie contract while stewing in the G-League, and Kentucky likely got him more $$$ in that contract than Arkansas would've. He'll also be getting better competition in the G-league than he would've in college. So he is probably still benefiting from coming early as his game doesn't translate well. Monk would've been a great college player, but that was never his ambition.

The fact that Moses Kingsley was even in the conversation to be preseason SEC player of the year speaks to his development at Arkansas.

Traveler9

Quote from: rude1 on December 27, 2017, 12:46:54 pm
Spin it all  you want but the FACT is you don't send a player who is part of the rotation as a contributor down to the G-league, you send guys who are struggling down to the G-league to get them some playing time in hopes of improving their game.

I was just adding to the conversation the FACT that NBA franchises are using the G-League in ways they haven't needed to in the past.  You are right, Monk has struggled for several weeks.  Many on this board are pointing to poor defense as the reason, but the Hornets have known all along Monk needs development in that area.  What has kept him off the floor more recently is a combination of poor shot selection and declining shooting percentage.  That, plus the return of a couple veterans who started the season on IR have made him easy to bench.  I've been away from Hogville for a long time.  Do I need to say something disparaging here about Calipari, Malik or his family to not be accused of spinning?  Is that how this works?

AirWarren

Quote from: rude1 on December 25, 2017, 05:30:48 pm
I wish him nothing of the sorts, and it feels good to watch him failing. Hopefully he doesn't turn this around.

This.

And his self absorbed "business decision" brother......

rude1

Quote from: Traveler9 on December 27, 2017, 01:57:12 pm
I was just adding to the conversation the FACT that NBA franchises are using the G-League in ways they haven't needed to in the past.  You are right, Monk has struggled for several weeks.  Many on this board are pointing to poor defense as the reason, but the Hornets have known all along Monk needs development in that area.  What has kept him off the floor more recently is a combination of poor shot selection and declining shooting percentage.  That, plus the return of a couple veterans who started the season on IR have made him easy to bench.  I've been away from Hogville for a long time.  Do I need to say something disparaging here about Calipari, Malik or his family to not be accused of spinning?  Is that how this works?
They are using the G-league for what it was always intended, to put players on your roster who aren't producing some place to go work on their game. You could tell Monk had lost all confidence when you look at the box score and see he played 10 minutes and didn't record a single stat. Monk not taking a shot in 10 minutes I don't think has every happened in a basketball game for him at any level. Just shows his confidence is shot right now.

roothawg

Good. Maybe the older monk will go broke

HawgsPolo

I hope the coaches instructed him to take 21 three pointers.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

synthartist69

I love it. The kid is a punk.

ShadowHawg

Those who think playing at Kentucky means bigger contracts for the player are out of your cotton pickin' minds.

The year Kanter got drafted, he was the highest drafted player that went to school at Kentucky and he was ineligible and not even allowed to practice.

How are all these foreign guys getting drafted highly without having played at Kentucky? The Kentucky kids that are getting drafted appear in mock drafts in high school. Going to Kentucky has hurt the draft status of more than it has helped, if any.

It's time grown ups quit perpetuating that myth.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 28, 2017, 12:25:17 am
Those who think playing at Kentucky means bigger contracts for the player are out of your cotton pickin' minds.

The year Kanter got drafted, he was the highest drafted player that went to school at Kentucky and he was ineligible and not even allowed to practice.

How are all these foreign guys getting drafted highly without having played at Kentucky? The Kentucky kids that are getting drafted appear in mock drafts in high school. Going to Kentucky has hurt the draft status of more than it has helped, if any.

This.
Retired Radio Host

nwahogfan1

I so want to see more of this and NBA teams to get burnt so MAYBE they will allow these kids to stay in college for 1 or 2 more years.    I do not blame the kids for wanting the BIG BUCKS though.  I blame the NBA for their being so stupid.   These 19 year old kids are not ready to go against MEN in the NBA.  Sure one or two do well but for the most it takes 2 or 3 years in the Pros for them to be worth the money they are getting.

So I say good for the NBA to lose on their investment.  I want more of these 1 and done kids to fail so maybe more will stay in School a little longer.   

So often the worst thing that can happen to so many of these immature teenagers to get a million dollars thrown at them and expect good results.

rude1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 28, 2017, 07:42:05 am
I so want to see more of this and NBA teams to get burnt so MAYBE they will allow these kids to stay in college for 1 or 2 more years.    These 19 year old kids are not ready to go against MEN in the NBA.  Sure one or two do well but for the most it takes 2 or 3 years in the Pros for them to be worth the money they are getting.

So I say good for the NBA to lose big time on their investment.  I want more of these 1 and done to fail and more kids to stay in School
These kids will continue to come out because teams are drafting on potential, and teams have already made that commitment before they realize a kid isn't close to being ready. Monk wasn't nearly ready but he was taken 11th, so why should he come back and develop when teams were ready to take him as is?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 27, 2017, 08:32:57 am

Let's not pretend portis was some 2 or 3 star that was "developed" into nba talent. He was a highly rated stud coming out of high school. I'm loving our basketball team this season but its laughable to act like anderson develops players into nba stars.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

trippigs

The Hogfather

EXACTLY.  I'm so tired of it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 28, 2017, 07:50:59 am
Let's not pretend portis was some 2 or 3 star that was "developed" into nba talent. He was a highly rated stud coming out of high school. I'm loving our basketball team this season but its laughable to act like anderson develops players into nba stars.

While he was higher rated than most guys we get, he certainly was not close (rating/development) to the guys Kentucky gets every year.  5-6 of them a year.  Many times, they get 3-4 guys who would've been drafted in the top 5 out of high school if they were eligible.  Anderson develops guys way more than Calipari.  Calipari uses guys for a year and takes credit for their natural talent.

HeathWimp

Benedict Monk can eat a camel turd.  Not a hog so I don't think he gets any deference.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 28, 2017, 08:17:54 am
While he was higher rated than most guys we get, he certainly was not close (rating/development) to the guys Kentucky gets every year.  5-6 of them a year.  Many times, they get 3-4 guys who would've been drafted in the top 5 out of high school if they were eligible.  Anderson develops guys way more than Calipari.  Calipari uses guys for a year and takes credit for their natural talent.
Agreed. Much difference in getting guys in the top 10 coming out of high school, and getting a guy who is around 20th or so. Yes they are all MD AA but the guys at the top are considered elite, and that is where Cal is getting a lot of his players from.

Adam Stokes

December 28, 2017, 10:50:53 am #149 Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:01:23 am by Adam Stokes
Those who think playing at Kentucky means bigger contracts for the player are out of your cotton pickin’ minds.

It’s time grown ups quit perpetuating that myth.
Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 28, 2017, 07:27:22 am
This.
Quote from: The Hogfather on December 28, 2017, 08:14:01 am
EXACTLY.  I'm so tired of it.

Facts hurt. It's disappointing I have to repost this link every year.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=603850.msg10013950#msg10013950

Going to Kentucky does boost your stock, period, regardless of where you fall as a 5-star player. If you have more than anecdotal BS to actually prove your arguments I'm all ears. My analysis did only go through the 2015 NBA draft, but since the past 2 years have had 5 first rounders and a 2nd rounder who is performing quite well, (Tyler Ulis,) not sure the stats would be any worse.