Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Collins

Started by b_stackhouse, April 26, 2016, 11:35:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

b_stackhouse

I was looking at Mel Kiper's latest Big Board. This is the final one he will do before the draft. Unless am I missing it, Alex Collins is nowhere to be found. He does have Jonathan Williams ranked at 148. On his positional rankings, he has Collins as the #8 RB and Williams as the #10 RB, so it makes no sense no to have him ranked on the Big Board. Maybe it is just a mistake.

I will post the link, but it is an ESPNInsider article. Maybe someone else can find his name.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15355542/nfl-draft-2016-mel-kiper-final-big-board-top-300-prospects-2016

b_stackhouse

Reading the comments to the article, it also looks like he left off Derrick Henry, but included Kenyan Drake. Perhaps he just has something against starting RBs.

Biggus Piggus

It has been trendy lately to downgrade Collins. I've heard that scouts of NFL teams in the SEC/ACC/Big 12 regions like Collins better than scouts of teams in the rest of the country. The former based their opinions on watching him play football. The others mainly broke down film, did the combine and pro day.
[CENSORED]!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 26, 2016, 11:43:56 am
It has been trendy lately to downgrade Collins. I've heard that scouts of NFL teams in the SEC/ACC/Big 12 regions like Collins better than scouts of teams in the rest of the country. The former based their opinions on watching him play football. The others mainly broke down film, did the combine and pro day.
I don't make a living scouting football players but to me AC3's running style is tailor made for the NFL.  His hard cuts and straight line running seems like the style that is the most successful in the pros. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

longpig

In this draft, after Elliot it's hardly more than a popular contest.
Don't be scared, be smart.

31to6

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 26, 2016, 12:15:08 pm
I don't make a living scouting football players but to me AC3's running style is tailor made for the NFL.  His hard cuts and straight line running seems like the style that is the most successful in the pros. 
His freshman year and half-way through his sophomore season he thought he was something he wasn't--too much finesse. He was able to productive because he would rip of nice big runs to make up for getting caught dancing and because we could go to JWill when we needed tough yards.

Last year he embraced who he really is (a big back with vision and footwork--for his size) and started running mean and it showed, particularly when we needed *him* to take control of the game.

RazorbackBassist

Soooie21

Unless you are just a cut about...Rb's are a dime a dozen...

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Soooie21 on April 30, 2016, 07:36:46 am

It will never happen because fringe fans love the big play aerial attacks, but the NFL really needs to scale it's pass friendly rules back to bring some balance to the game.

That would make the running game more than a diversion to keep the defense honest and create some additional stars beyond the QBs and WRs......Which that would help the league's pocketbook.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbackramsfan

I'm gonna disagree! I play fantasy football and know that theres a very wide spectrum among rbs in the league.  You don't want al blue to be your main back. 

I don't think rbs like ac are a dime a dozen, he's got some skills that are unique to him.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Soooie21 on April 30, 2016, 07:36:46 am

This. Look at the laughing stock that Dallas created by taking Elliot at 4. Even if he is a hall of famer a running back in today's game WILL be injured a lot. It's one of the most punishing positions and teams have learned that it's cheaper and easier to pay smaller contracts to later round backs.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 26, 2016, 12:15:08 pm

you are 100% correct sir

Pig in the Pokey

i said when all this began he should come back because he might not get drafted. ya'll railed me hard for that one.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 11:27:41 am
i said when all this began he should come back because he might not get drafted. ya'll railed me hard for that one.

He will go in RD 4 or 5. His value skyrockets in these later rounds where teams are looking for best athlete on the board.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: longpig on April 26, 2016, 12:23:14 pm
In this draft, after Elliot it's hardly more than a popular contest.
Oh yeah? LOL

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 30, 2016, 11:33:53 am
He will go in RD 4 or 5. His value skyrockets in these later rounds where teams are looking for best athlete on the board.
i hope so. i don't THINK it will happen (him NOT being drafted), just meant that it should been considered b/c the NFL draft is a ridiculous thing. I do think AC will make a great pro. he is gonna be a super-effecient 4-6 yd maker, with occasional bursts. He style is perfect for the nfl. DOES NOT mean he'll get drafted. He is a RB, guys.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

RedyorNot

All the services say the same thing. Solid prospect but nothing special, ability to be an every down back with potential to be a workhorse, downhill runner with vision but lacks elite speed. Third or fourth round is seems to be a reasonable landing spot.

Iwastherein1969

Alex and Jonathan should have stuck around for another year....especially Alex...dude could have won the Heisman....oh well, that boat sailed a few months ago
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Andrew Hogfan

Wow!!!! To all these rbs I've never heard of, (other than Dixion, Yay,) being picked over Alex.... Smh
WPS!!!

PorkRinds

There have only been three RBs taken. Anyone taking Drake over AC, jwill, or even Dixon is misguided. But staying would t have made the NFL value RBs more.  The Heisman trophy winner was a second round pick.

Hogz87

This ins't an attempt to bash Bielema or any of our players, so if you somehow interpret it that way, I apologize.

It seems that it's becoming a trend where we think we're going to have 3-5 players drafted in the first 3-5 rounds.  Collins was one of 3 best backs in the SEC and the other two were a Heisman winner and Heisman contender and I don't think Collins was all that far behind either of them; and for all intents and purposes, seemed to have be made out a of a decent number of things that make a good, or at least potentially good, NFL running back.  No Kirkland or Tretola, yet, either.  Maybe I just buy into the "hype" and assume every highest projected draft position I hear for our players is where they will/should go, so when they slip it annoys me.

Anyway, three running backs were drafted in the 4th round and no Alex Collins.  What gets me, is that I saw several "Big Board" top 100s-ish and mock drafts that had Collins as a top 100-ish prospect and a 4th (or even 3rd) round draft grade.  Yet, we're about to start the 5th round and he's still on the board.  Seems like we've had one or two guys the last few years that we (or at least I) think is going to go in the 3rd-5th round but just keep falling and falling and falling. 

Congrats to Arkansas native Kenneth Dixon getting drafted, though.  He's one of the few Arkansas high school football players I've had the pleasure of seeing in person go on and make the NFL.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on April 30, 2016, 01:04:26 pm
Wow!!!! To all these rbs I've never heard of, (other than Dixion, Yay,) being picked over Alex.... Smh
[/quote

Exactly. This is the amazing report given for the guy picked over AC...

Booker is a highly competitive and determined runner who brings versatility in the passing game. He has adequate vision and patience as a runner, but he doesn't have elite elusiveness or power as a runner. He is shifty enough and runs with good pad level, however, to churn out yards after contact. Booker comes with durability concerns after a season-ending knee injury last year and also has some ball security issues. But he could develop into a change-of-pace back for a team. -- Kevin Weidl

Catches passes. Adequate vision patience. No elite elusiveness or power. Injury prone.

How did this guy get taken before AC?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

azhog10

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 30, 2016, 01:06:38 pm
This ins't an attempt to bash Bielema or any of our players, so if you somehow interpret it that way, I apologize.

It seems that it's becoming a trend where we think we're going to have 3-5 players drafted in the first 3-5 rounds.  Collins was one of 3 best backs in the SEC and the other two were a Heisman winner and Heisman contender and I don't think Collins was all that far behind either of them; and for all intents and purposes, seemed to have be made out a of a decent number of things that make a good, or at least potentially good, NFL running back.  No Kirkland or Tretola, yet, either.  Maybe I just buy into the "hype" and assume every highest projected draft position I hear for our players is where they will/should go, so when they slip it annoys me.

Anyway, three running backs were drafted in the 4th round and no Alex Collins.  What gets me, is that I saw several "Big Board" top 100s-ish and mock drafts that had Collins as a top 100-ish prospect and a 4th (or even 3rd) round draft grade.  Yet, we're about to start the 5th round and he's still on the board.  Seems like we've had one or two guys the last few years that we (or at least I) think is going to go in the 3rd-5th round but just keep falling and falling and falling. 

Congrats to Arkansas native Kenneth Dixon getting drafted, though.  He's one of the few Arkansas high school football players I've had the pleasure of seeing in person go on and make the NFL.
I wish the NFL was a little more honest with these guys. It's clear they got some bad information and I'm curious had they known they were 5-7th round picks if they would have come back.

Andrew Hogfan

I wish they would let them come back if they aren't drafted high enough to satisfy themselves. Isn't this how it works with baseball?
WPS!!!

alohawg

There have been at least 5 RB's taken I believe, Alex and Jonathan still waiting..... ::)

Btw, I am hating the Cowboys picks, including Elliott. I think he is way overrated at 4.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on April 30, 2016, 01:12:05 pm
I wish they would let them come back if they aren't drafted high enough to satisfy themselves. Isn't this how it works with baseball?

i think that would turn into a huge mess.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hogz87

Quote from: azhog10 on April 30, 2016, 01:09:55 pm
I wish the NFL was a little more honest with these guys. It's clear they got some bad information and I'm curious had they known they were 5-7th round picks if they would have come back.
Thing is, this is two years in a row where this has happened to some of our guys, or at least it seems/feels that way.  As a Razorback fan, you can't help but feel bad for them and a little irritated and angry.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 30, 2016, 11:33:53 am

Highly doubt it.  Already in Rd 5 and doesn't look promissing.  Who knows, just want him to get picked
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

songofthesword

here's the thing

if i knew for sure he could make a career in the nfl now i'd tell him to go myself

i honestly do not think he makes a openig day roster right now.

he's not really fast, he can't catch all that well when's the last time you seen collins line up in the slot or do a wheel route... so no third down back,  there was a reason williams always started in front of him

he needs to come back and work on his route running and hands and preventing this

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2406917DE41264808420570697728_427b95255a9.1.1.1564300427453427557.mp4.jpg?versionId=U_hKR0McJahJ.8TeNqKIEHpTvLFr8JZX

wouldn't be a bad idea either

i mean, the stuff is really fixable but 53 man roster there is no learning on the job for 6th rounders
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=605844.100

People don't understand just how ruthless the NFL is. Collins is too slow to veva feature back, not a good enough pass catcher to be a third down  back

Williams just needed a healthy year but he was going to be a 5th-7th round guy before he missed a year

Arazorbackguy1

He's getting Thurmaned right now.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 30, 2016, 01:17:49 pm
i think that would turn into a huge mess.
Not if they had the draft earlier(which I know they won't) or if the players didn't sign with agents. It won't happen so it doesn't matter. The NFL cares about one thing, money, not what is best for college athletes
WPS!!!

jseinfeld50

April 30, 2016, 01:24:01 pm #31 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:37:15 pm by jseinfeld50
a

rljjr

You would think somebody would take a guy with 3 1,000 yard seasons in the best conference in football. JW might even be the better pro.

When I saw the guy from TT get drafted I know there is something strange going on.

greenEGnHAWGS

This is getting ridiculous.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Ex-Trumpet

Any chance the NFL doesn't like dreads?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hog Fan from Camden

hog.goblin

Kevin

Wow, 3 1,000 yard seasons in sec not meaning much.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Ten RBs taken so far:

Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
Derrick Henry, Alabama
Kenyon Drake, Alabama
CJ Prosise, Notre Dame
Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
Devontae Booker, Utah
Deandre Washington, Texas Tech
Paul Perkins, UCLA
Jordan Howard, Indiana

Hog Fan from Camden

RB from IU before Collins!  Just wow!

BigSexyHog

The guy from UCLA is pretty salty but don't know anything about this guy from Indiana. 

Ex-Trumpet

And another from TTU?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

songofthesword

That kid from tech is fast as hell

Tretola will be the next off the board

Hogz87

Seriously, what the heck is going on?  Surely he was ranked as one of the top 5-10 running backs in the draft, no?

Hog Fan from Camden

I can only imagine what he is thinking right now!

BigSexyHog

NFL network guys talking about both Williams and AC

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on April 30, 2016, 01:23:28 pm
Not if they had the draft earlier(which I know they won't) or if the players didn't sign with agents. It won't happen so it doesn't matter. The NFL cares about one thing, money, not what is best for college athletes

It's a business. Of course they only care about money. If you start letting kids back out then what do the teams that draft them do at that point?  I don't like these kids being given bad advice either but they really need to take some responsibility themselves.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

alohawg

Both our guys ran with a chip on their shoulders before. I'm thinking that is about to be amped up now for wherever they go.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 30, 2016, 01:29:23 pm
NFL network guys talking about both Williams and AC

Switching back...ESPN is about 5 minutes behind!!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2016, 01:27:51 pm
Ten RBs taken so far:

Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
Derrick Henry, Alabama
Kenyon Drake, Alabama
CJ Prosise, Notre Dame
Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
Devontae Booker, Utah
Deandre Washington, Texas Tech
Paul Perkins, UCLA
Jordan Howard, Indiana

Crazy that some of those went before JW and AC
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!