Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's pitch to AC

Started by Mike Irwin, December 23, 2015, 12:21:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

Quote from: presidenthog on December 23, 2015, 06:38:36 pm
the 100% bodes well for that crop of running backs. the next might not all stick because all of those stuck. I'd like to see how many got hurt and how seriously. they may be able to come back and beat this next group. I'm not fighting against your thought as I figure Alex can stick but I don't know how many of this group will. Kirkland is the one I think should stay to improve his stock because he can and alot of money is at stake on his decision.

I'd like to see the stats for the previous 5-7 years.  I bet they are similar.

deedster84

What if AC rushes for 1500 and catches 30 passes? Would his stock improve? Like I said, not disagreeing. Just recruiting pitch.

deedster84

Quote from: presidenthog on December 23, 2015, 06:38:36 pm
the 100% bodes well for that crop of running backs. the next might not all stick because all of those stuck. I'd like to see how many got hurt and how seriously. they may be able to come back and beat this next group. I'm not fighting against your thought as I figure Alex can stick but I don't know how many of this group will. Kirkland is the one I think should stay to improve his stock because he can and alot of money is at stake on his decision.

I think DK can make mid LT money if he stays with it but could be All Pro at OG

The Hogfather

Quote from: deedster84 on December 23, 2015, 06:43:14 pm
What if AC rushes for 1500 and catches 30 passes? Would his stock improve? Like I said, not disagreeing. Just recruiting pitch.

Nope. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2015, 06:31:54 pm
He had 6 100+ yard games against SEC competition.  He only didn't get at least 100 against Bama and Miss St.  And, Bama doesn't really count because nobody really does against them.
Derrick Henry and Lenard Fournette didn't get a hundred on the Hogs EITHER of the last two years, though, either.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: deedster84 on December 23, 2015, 06:43:14 pm
hell yeah it would.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

passinghog

It doesn't seem like CBB has the long term vision in this situation. You recruit better at Arkansas if you show you put players in the pros. Outside of winning a national title, that's the only way you can do it. The program, in the long run, does not benefit from him talking AC into staying another year. You earn your money as a RB between age 21-27; playing a year for free is the wrong move, period.  AC needs to go to the pros after this season, there's really nothing else to it.

jcharkansas

Quote from: Showtimehog on December 23, 2015, 08:03:40 pm
It doesn't seem like CBB has the long term vision in this situation. You recruit better at Arkansas if you show you put players in the pros. Outside of winning a national title, that's the only way you can do it. The program, in the long run, does not benefit from him talking AC into staying another year. You earn your money as a RB between age 21-27; playing a year for free is the wrong move, period.  AC needs to go to the pros after this season, there's really nothing else to it.
See that's what has me worried he may know something about some of the RB recruits. I hope that has nothing to do with it.

MuskogeeHogFan

I think that what some may be overlooking here is that Bielema may not be "trying to talk him into" anything at all. It's his responsibility to lay out the scenario (positives and negatives) for these kids based on what the NFL Scouts are reporting as probable draft ratings and probable round taken. All he can do is give them the benefit of his experience, present what facts that may exist and allow the players and their families to sort out what they feel is best to do based on their own individual situations and preferences.

Obviously something was reported by the NFL that made it appear that AC could fall into the 3rd round or later when I think that Bielema anticipated him being taken in the 2nd. If it is true that he could go late in the 3rd or in the 4th or later, that's a huge difference in guaranteed money (see the link to the chart that I posted early in this thread), which is one of the most important parts of this whole deal.

I believe that Bielema genuinely wants what is best for AC and all of his kids on the team. But all he can do is offer up the info that had been given to him. It will be up to them as to what they decide to do.
Go Hogs Go!

jcharkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 23, 2015, 08:38:04 pm
I think that what some may be overlooking here is that Bielema may not be "trying to talk him into" anything at all. It's his responsibility to lay out the scenario (positives and negatives) for these kids based on what the NFL Scouts are reporting as probable draft ratings and probable round taken. All he can do is give them the benefit of his experience, present what facts that may exist and allow the players and their families to sort out what they feel is best to do based on their own individual situations and preferences.

Obviously something was reported by the NFL that made it appear that AC could fall into the 3rd round or later when I think that Bielema anticipated him being taken in the 2nd. If it is true that he could go late in the 3rd or in the 4th or later, that's a huge difference in guaranteed money (see the link to the chart that I posted early in this thread), which is one of the most important parts of this whole deal.

I believe that Bielema genuinely wants what is best for AC and all of his kids on the team. But all he can do is offer up the info that had been given to him. It will be up to them as to what they decide to do.
You are probably right, Beliema  does seem to always want what's best for his players and genuinely cares about them and their future, it seems like we get less info sometimes with CBB than we have in the past and it was making me think of stupid reasons for things happening. Good post

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm admittedly dense, but to suggest that the program is better off if AC doesn't come back next year is quite perplexing.  Man, if that's the case, then let's hope DK and HH leave with him.  Skipper too. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkRinds

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2015, 07:00:46 pm
Nope!

Y'all just stop. Hogfather knows more than SEC head coaches and NFL scouts. He's said so himself. Someone give AC his number so he can get some better advice than, you know, people that get paid for that sort of advice.

King Kong

That depends on where AC is drafted. If he doesn't make the team he gets basically nothing.

Montee Ball had a 4 round grade came back for CBB and was a second rounder getting 1,000,000 signing bonus along with 3.5 million over 4 years.

It was a great move for him considering he wasn't a very good pro and probably only didn't get cut sooner because he was a second rounder.

presidenthog

Quote from: King Kong on December 23, 2015, 09:10:01 pm
That depends on where AC is drafted. If he doesn't make the team he gets basically nothing.

Montee Ball had a 4 round grade came back for CBB and was a second rounder getting 1,000,000 signing bonus along with 3.5 million over 4 years.

It was a great move for him considering he wasn't a very good pro and probably only didn't get cut sooner because he was a second rounder.
ding ding ding. here is the deal though, he lost a lot of weight his last year (similar to alex from year 2-3) and became the real feature back. it could be that as well that added to his draft status. just because it happened for him doesn't mean it will happen for alex. what you posted is a legit factual reason that CBB can point to for alex to come back, but also other people saying he might not improve his draft status have alot of facts behind thier arguement. I for one think he can gain but not alot by returning.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 23, 2015, 09:09:04 pm
Y'all just stop. Hogfather knows more than SEC head coaches and NFL scouts. He's said so himself. Someone give AC his number so he can get some better advice than, you know, people that get paid for that sort of advice.

I want AC back as bad as anyone.  It just doesn't make sense for him if he is trying to improve his draft status.  If he just wants to graduate and have the full college experience, that's different.  His draft status will not improve because of another successful college season.  He already has 3, including one where he was the true lead back.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 23, 2015, 09:09:04 pm

Also, I just want to point out "experts" often darn the bed.  I mean, in one draft, we had NFL "experts" draft Jake Locker #8, Blaine Gabbert #10, and Christian Ponder #12.  Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert went before JJ Watt.  Arguably the best quarterback ever went in the 6th round.  Giovanni Carmazzi and Spurgeon Wynn went before him, as did 3 kickers and a punter.

Hog Pharm

How is AC's situation different than JWill's last year?  It doesn't seem there was this much discussion about JWill needing to go and having nothing to prove by coming back for another year.

RussVegas Hawg

Quote from: Hog Pharm on December 24, 2015, 12:29:44 am
How is AC's situation different than JWill's last year?  It doesn't seem there was this much discussion about JWill needing to go and having nothing to prove by coming back for another year.

It's not different

deedster84

Because you send players to the NFL when they are ready to succeed there. If he needs improvement the NFL grades will point out deficiencies and he can work on that. Something which seems improbable to some but it will improve draft grade.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hog Pharm on December 24, 2015, 12:29:44 am

Looking at Williams would be a really good reason to head to the NFL.  He basically lost a year of earnings.  Again, if it is about getting a degree and breaking records in college, fine.  If you are coming back to improve your draft status, as a RB who has already proven what you are capable of, you are making a mistake.

BILLYBOB

I was always taught you do the right thing because Jesus is watching.  That's fine. However, something else I've learned about life, at least in business, is when you always do the right thing...i.e. when you have integrity, courage, commitment to excellence, put the customer first, etc...then people will TRUST you and business will flock to you.

My favorite attribute of CBB...the reason I believe in him and believe he will bring us a championship...is because he appears to be a person of superior integrity. Players and their parents TRUST him. I've been watching him and what I see is a man who seems to genuinely and deeply care about his players as people.  He cares about them enough to demand that they go to class, get their degree, and stay out of trouble...and he's all to willing to hold them accountable when they don't tow the line. We've seen him suspend really good players. When a player wants to transfer, he will actually help them find a place to land. There isn't one set of rules for superstars and another for the average players. He's the only college coach I've ever seen who gets on the field when of his players gets hurts.

I'm confident he will advise AC on what's best for AC. He will put AC's needs above his own. And then AC will make his decision and that will be that. The greater point is that while AC's decision will certainly have an effect on the guys we're recruiting...the even bigger effect will be the way recruits observe CBB's handling of the situation because they expect to be in the same spot in 3 years. And based on the way CBB handles his other business, I'm confident he'll handle this situation flawlessly.

I think we have a very bright future with this coach...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

The Hogfather

Quote from: BILLYBOB on December 24, 2015, 08:04:59 am
I was always taught you do the right thing because Jesus is watching.  That's fine. However, something else I've learned about life, at least in business, is when you always do the right thing...i.e. when you have integrity, courage, commitment to excellence, put the customer first, etc...then people will TRUST you and business will flock to you.

My favorite attribute of CBB...the reason I believe in him and believe he will bring us a championship...is because he appears to be a person of superior integrity. Players and their parents TRUST him. I've been watching him and what I see is a man who seems to genuinely and deeply care about his players as people.  He cares about them enough to demand that they go to class, get their degree, and stay out of trouble...and he's all to willing to hold them accountable when they don't tow the line. We've seen him suspend really good players. When a player wants to transfer, he will actually help them find a place to land. There isn't one set of rules for superstars and another for the average players. He's the only college coach I've ever seen who gets on the field when of his players gets hurts.

I'm confident he will advise AC on what's best for AC. He will put AC's needs above his own. And then AC will make his decision and that will be that. The greater point is that while AC's decision will certainly have an effect on the guys we're recruiting...the even bigger effect will be the way recruits observe CBB's handling of the situation because they expect to be in the same spot in 3 years. And based on the way CBB handles his other business, I'm confident he'll handle this situation flawlessly.

I think we have a very bright future with this coach...

I totally agree about Bielema.  He will not intentionally steer a player wrong just to benefit himself.  He will tell the player exactly what he thinks is right.

Choctaw Hog

You're right.  Bilema has a vision of what's best for the player and that's really stupid of him.  Who in the hell would want to go play for a coach who has their best interest at heart? 

hoghiker

Good points going both ways here. Whatever AC decisions, it needs to be his. I want him back but sometimes moving on is the better choice. At some point either choice is a gamble. Nothing guaranteed. Go AC. Go Hogs.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 23, 2015, 11:52:18 am
Don't kid yourself. He wants AC back. Until this year most of his yards had come in rent a win games. His SEC numbers weren't good. That changed when he became the feature back. Bielema went into detail about all the changes AC made. Better student. Better physical condition. More leadership. Better respected by his teammates. Without actually saying it Bielema was saying, Wow, what a year he would have if he comes back.

But:

A) None of that will help his draft stock, and

B) It isnt worth getting Collins for 1 more year if that causes us to lose out on a top RB prospect that could be here for 3 years.

I see what you are saying, and AC has stepped his game up since becoming the feature back in our offense. It has also helped him as a person as you listed above. That's great, dont get me wrong. But as far as Alex's NFL potential, none of that will really affect it. He's gonna be what he's gonna be. Also, trading 1 great year for 3 good years out of a player may not be worth it, especially with all the talent we have brought in thats waiting in the wings and that next year we are breaking in an entire new QB thus losing a 3 year starter. Next year is practically a "mulligan" anyway, so why risk AC getting hurt and losing out a Slam Dunk recruit that could help us in 3 years?? Seems best to me if both parted ways----UNLESS, and this is where I think Bielema's line of thinking is, we dont get ANY of the top RB recruits we are after, then we would desperately need another year out of AC before he moves on. That is when it makes sense to me for him to stay, and the fact that CBB is pitching that to him tells me that CBB doesnt like our chances too good with our RB prospects.

deedster84

I remember a season in Whisky where CBB had 3 great backs and they all flourished.

870hogfan

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 24, 2015, 01:09:46 pm
But:

B) It isnt worth getting Collins for 1 more year if that causes us to lose out on a top RB prospect that could be here for 3 years.

I see what you are saying, and AC has stepped his game up since becoming the feature back in our offense. It has also helped him as a person as you listed above. That's great, dont get me wrong. But as far as Alex's NFL potential, none of that will really affect it. He's gonna be what he's gonna be. Also, trading 1 great year for 3 good years out of a player may not be worth it, especially with all the talent we have brought in thats waiting in the wings and that next year we are breaking in an entire new QB thus losing a 3 year starter. Next year is practically a "mulligan" anyway, so why risk AC getting hurt and losing out a Slam Dunk recruit that could help us in 3 years?? Seems best to me if both parted ways----UNLESS, and this is where I think Bielema's line of thinking is, we dont get ANY of the top RB recruits we are after, then we would desperately need another year out of AC before he moves on. That is when it makes sense to me for him to stay, and the fact that CBB is pitching that to him tells me that CBB doesnt like our chances too good with our RB prospects.

Um Arkansas is in great shape with all the running back prospects.

deedster84

From Those in the know. WHat's the difference in signing $$$'s between 1st rounder and 3rd or 4th rounder?

Smokehouse

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2015, 06:41:31 pm
I'd like to see the stats for the previous 5-7 years.  I bet they are similar.

It is always pretty similar. I only follow the AFC East rosters closely as a Dolphins fan, but just from that and playing fantasy you can see a pattern.

Rookie RBs are a lot like rookie QBs who are drafted to be the backup. Both of them stick on the 53 better than other positions because they're cheap compared to others at their position who are on their second contract. RBs are even more likely to stick out of camp because of injuries and the possibility of returning kicks. Third and fourth year running backs with average stats are way more likely to be cut out of camp.

If you're confident enough as a runningback to believe you'll perform well enough to earn a second contract, go and getting to that contract faster. Plus the longer you're in the league the better your league pension is when it kicks in. It's easy to finish a degree without playing for the college team.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

There's not a lot of concrete ways being given on how Collins could improve his draft stock. So far we have that he got blown up by a Bama defender once, and general things about being able to do "something that's never been done before" and getting more maturity.

How many times have you heard an NFL GM say "well, we wanted to draft this guy but he's a junior so he just wasn't seasoned enough"? And the history of players who have "done something that's never been done before" is pretty mixed in terms of draft stock and future performance. Colt Brennan still has the record for most TD passes in a season and a bunch of other NCAA records; he went in the 6th round and was released two years later. NFL teams look at measurables and athletic potential, not college stats or records.

Collins has proven all he can for the NFL. He's a great back and his game will translate well. Doesn't mean he won't decide to come back, but if he does it's not about providing more tape. This is Portis all over again.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 24, 2015, 04:02:23 pm
Um Arkansas is in great shape with all the running back prospects.

Which doesnt mean anything. We may get 1, or even 2, or we may just as easily get none. Its going to be glorious on this board if we wind up not getting any of our top targets, which could happen. I swear some of you are acting like its impossible for us to miss out on these highly rated RB's, even though history tells us we miss them more often than not.

songofthesword

here's the thing

if i knew for sure he could make a career in the nfl now i'd tell him to go myself

i honestly do not think he makes a openig day roster right now.

he's not really fast, he can't catch all that well when's the last time you seen collins line up in the slot or do a wheel route... so no third down back,  there was a reason williams always started in front of him

he needs to come back and work on his route running and hands and preventing this

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2406917DE41264808420570697728_427b95255a9.1.1.1564300427453427557.mp4.jpg?versionId=U_hKR0McJahJ.8TeNqKIEHpTvLFr8JZX

wouldn't be a bad idea either

i mean, the stuff is really fixable but 53 man roster there is no learning on the job for 6th rounders

31to6

Quote from: deedster84 on December 24, 2015, 05:10:04 pm
From Those in the know. WHat's the difference in signing $$$'s between 1st rounder and 3rd or 4th rounder?

1st Round: $40M down to $11M
3rd and 4th: $4M down to $3M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

a0ashle

Quote from: 31to6 on December 24, 2015, 11:55:25 pm

And for those not familiar, they can spread the cap hit out over each year of a contract, if they cut a player all that money accelerates on the current years cap. Which is a really bad deal. That guaranteed money is like insurance policy for making the team and staying a few years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: deedster84 on December 24, 2015, 05:10:04 pm

Quote from: 31to6 on December 24, 2015, 11:55:25 pm

This chart from 2014 explains it well in comparing overall contract value and guaranteed money throughout the draft rounds.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-draft-contract-values-2015-4
Go Hogs Go!

870hogfan

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 24, 2015, 08:00:55 pm
Which doesnt mean anything. We may get 1, or even 2, or we may just as easily get none. Its going to be glorious on this board if we wind up not getting any of our top targets, which could happen. I swear some of you are acting like its impossible for us to miss out on these highly rated RB's, even though history tells us we miss them more often than not.

You seem to want that to happen don't you? Back to AC it be cool to have him back but hope he doesn't what's best for him.

secneahog

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 24, 2015, 06:10:12 pm
There's not a lot of concrete ways being given on how Collins could improve his draft stock. So far we have that he got blown up by a Bama defender once, and general things about being able to do "something that's never been done before" and getting more maturity.

How many times have you heard an NFL GM say "well, we wanted to draft this guy but he's a junior so he just wasn't seasoned enough"? And the history of players who have "done something that's never been done before" is pretty mixed in terms of draft stock and future performance. Colt Brennan still has the record for most TD passes in a season and a bunch of other NCAA records; he went in the 6th round and was released two years later. NFL teams look at measurables and athletic potential, not college stats or records.

Collins has proven all he can for the NFL. He's a great back and his game will translate well. Doesn't mean he won't decide to come back, but if he does it's not about providing more tape. This is Portis all over again.

Hey smart guy, the blown up by a Bama defender comment was a video to watch to show you his pass blocking CAN improve. You have some game film that we can break down on his pass blocking skills? 

Would love to see what you have.

Funny to see every single poster on here say, if he came back he couldnt improve his draft stock, is completely different than what BB says. 

So simply put...you're showing your ignorance.  Every last one of you. But carry on with your ignorance
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 24, 2015, 08:00:55 pm

All the poster said was we are in great shape with our rb targets.

Note: Don't say Arkansas is in good shape with a recruit.
Don't want to come off feeling it's impossible to lose a recruit. 
What a joke......

Everybody knows we could lose all recruits. Could and up signing all jucos bc we missed on all the top targets. 
Most people think we will lose out on all big names, regardless of anything.

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Smokehouse

Quote from: secneahog on December 25, 2015, 08:05:27 am
Hey smart guy, the blown up by a Bama defender comment was a video to watch to show you his pass blocking CAN improve. You have some game film that we can break down on his pass blocking skills? 

Would love to see what you have.

Funny to see every single poster on here say, if he came back he couldnt improve his draft stock, is completely different than what BB says. 

So simply put...you're showing your ignorance.  Every last one of you. But carry on with your ignorance

It's one play. If the standard is "never have a bad play," then yeah, everyone can improve.

Collins has generally been considered an excellent pass blocker over the entirety of his career:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/17/arkansas-can-overcome-injury-to-rb-williams/

QuoteCollins actually generated the 10th-best returning pass-blocking efficiency in the nation (98.0).

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-alex-collins-thrives-as-full-time-starter

QuoteFrom picking up guys in pass protection to being a good mentor for the younger running backs on the roster, Bielema and running backs coach Jemal Singleton have been impressed with Collins' play this year.

"He gets as fired up about getting a knock down on pass protection than he does about his carries," Singleton said. "There's not a running back in the country I'd want on third downs in pass protection than Alex Collins."

http://www.hootens.com/hogs-brace-for-ams-speedy-d-ends-off-edge-rb-collins-earns-praise-more-notes_1415_a.aspx

QuoteCOLLINS THE PROTECTOR

Running backs coach Jemal Singleton was even more proud of running back Alex Collins' pass protection against Texas Tech than his 170 yards rushing on 28 tough carries.

"What I liked really the most is how we pass-protected," Singleton said. "If you turn on tape and watch Alex Collins in pass protection,  he is throwing his body around and doing things we asked him to do."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 25, 2015, 10:24:46 am
It's one play. If the standard is "never have a bad play," then yeah, everyone can improve.

Collins has generally been considered an excellent pass blocker over the entirety of his career:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/17/arkansas-can-overcome-injury-to-rb-williams/

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-alex-collins-thrives-as-full-time-starter

http://www.hootens.com/hogs-brace-for-ams-speedy-d-ends-off-edge-rb-collins-earns-praise-more-notes_1415_a.aspx

He has become an excellent pass protector without a doubt. That hasn't always been the case. But this season he has certainly been very good and I think that he has improved every year that he has been here. Unfortunately, being an effective pass blocker in high school seems to be something that isn't emphasized by most high school coaches, but that may be because they are flaring the RB's out in the flat as a dump-off (hot receiver).

I suspect that whether AC goes this year or not will be because of a more personal decision that is made on the part of he and his family about his goals and what they feel might be different prospects for projected draft grades for next season with another projected great season in college, compared to coming out this year.

We all have our opinions on what we feel is best for AC at this point in his career but none of that matters to a hill of beans. AC and his family will decide what is best for him based on the information they have been given by the NFL. Frankly, I was surprised to find that he might be projected to the 3rd round or below. Here's my opinion...he should be a first or second round pick, but that doesn't mean that is how any NFL team is going to pick him.
Go Hogs Go!

Smokehouse

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 25, 2015, 10:39:32 am
He has become an excellent pass protector without a doubt. That hasn't always been the case. But this season he has certainly been very good and I think that he has improved every year that he has been here. Unfortunately, being an effective pass blocker in high school seems to be something that isn't emphasized by most high school coaches, but that may be because they are flaring the RB's out in the flat as a dump-off (hot receiver).

I suspect that whether AC goes this year or not will be because of a more personal decision that is made on the part of he and his family about his goals and what they feel might be different prospects for projected draft grades for next season with another projected great season in college, compared to coming out this year.

We all have our opinions on what we feel is best for AC at this point in his career but none of that matters to a hill of beans. AC and his family will decide what is best for him based on the information they have been given by the NFL. Frankly, I was surprised to find that he might be projected to the 3rd round or below. Here's my opinion...he should be a first or second round pick, but that doesn't mean that is how any NFL team is going to pick him.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. And I have confidence that Bielema will help him reach a decision that he and his family are comfortable with, which isn't something you can say about all head coaches.

I agree on your assessment too. And I think he probably would end up getting drafted high because he has the game and look of a lot of backs that went in the 2nd round recently, and there's a decent number of teams who could use a good back. I just don't think he'll improve his stock much coming back in the NFL undervalues him now, but as I said earlier that certainly doesn't mean he won't want to come back. Sometimes they just really love the college experience, or maybe he feels like even if there's a slim chance he improves his draft stock then it's still worth it.

I just hate that these situations usually end up with fans tearing apart aspects of a players game because they would like him to be back. Alex is an elite back and if he comes back he'll be polishing stuff that he already does really, really well.

gmarv

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 25, 2015, 10:45:28 am
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. And I have confidence that Bielema will help him reach a decision that he and his family are comfortable with, which isn't something you can say about all head coaches.

I agree on your assessment too. And I think he probably would end up getting drafted high because he has the game and look of a lot of backs that went in the 2nd round recently, and there's a decent number of teams who could use a good back. I just don't think he'll improve his stock much coming back in the NFL undervalues him now, but as I said earlier that certainly doesn't mean he won't want to come back. Sometimes they just really love the college experience, or maybe he feels like even if there's a slim chance he improves his draft stock then it's still worth it.

I just hate that these situations usually end up with fans tearing apart aspects of a players game because they would like him to be back. Alex is an elite back and if he comes back he'll be polishing stuff that he already does really, really well.
very well said the problem I have is I want ac to come back so my reasoning is he might could improve his stock is really only one thing.he has had a small amount of trouble holding on to the ball if he came back and cleaned that up with another 1200 to 1500 yard season wouldn,t that improve his worth to nfl types.

now with that said I only want him back if he wants to. I will always pull for ac to do great things.

pignparadise

If Arkansas goes to a bowl game Alex needs 125 yards per game to break Hershal Walkers career rushing record. If we go to the SEC championship game he needs about 115 per game. If we go to the national championship he needs like 105 per game.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Mike Irwin

December 25, 2015, 05:33:04 pm #144 Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:54:11 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 24, 2015, 01:09:46 pm
But:

It's not what I'm saying. It's what Bielema said and he disputes your point A.

I will dispute you on point B. I would take Collins next season in a heartbeat over any running back Arkansas is currently recruiting. There will always be top running backs to recruit. Bringing back a kid that has a chance to become the only back in the SEC to ever rush for 1,000 yards in all four seasons would be history.

I would in fact apply this logic to all three players that may or may not come out early.

In case some of you haven't noticed Bielema doesn't have this program over the hump yet. With a new QB starting I'd rather have him throwing to the best tight end in college football. I'd rather having him handing off to a kid with three 1,000 yard seasons behind him. I'd rather have a left tackle protecting that QB who has three years starting experience going into the season.

songofthesword

collins isn't a bad pass blocker at all.  That one play just made him look really bad. I've seen him constantly pick up key blocks.It can get better but that's not going to be the reason they look down on him

The Hogfather

Quote from: songofthesword on December 25, 2015, 08:16:37 pm
collins isn't a bad pass blocker at all.  That one play just made him look really bad. I've seen him constantly pick up key blocks.It can get better but that's not going to be the reason they look down on him

Exactly.  He's not alone in getting blown up in pass pro occasionally.  He is ready.  I hope he comes back, but I think he should go.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 25, 2015, 05:33:04 pm
It's not what I'm saying. It's what Bielema said and he disputes your point A.

I will dispute you on point B. I would take Collins next season in a heartbeat over any running back Arkansas is currently recruiting. There will always be top running backs to recruit. Bringing back a kid that has a chance to become the only back in the SEC to ever rush for 1,000 yards in all four seasons would be history.

I would in fact apply this logic to all three players that may or may not come out early.

In case some of you haven't noticed Bielema doesn't have this program over the hump yet. With a new QB starting I'd rather have him throwing to the best tight end in college football. I'd rather having him handing off to a kid with three 1,000 yard seasons behind him. I'd rather have a left tackle protecting that QB who has three years starting experience going into the season.

I don't always agree with Mike but he's dead on here.  I'd take AC over any of the backs we're recruiting, even for just a year.  There will be more backs to recruit and one of the less heralded backs already on campus will most likely emerge.  Plus TJ Hammonds is coming to town.   

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 23, 2015, 10:28:11 pm
I want AC back as bad as anyone.  It just doesn't make sense for him if he is trying to improve his draft status.  If he just wants to graduate and have the full college experience, that's different.  His draft status will not improve because of another successful college season.  He already has 3, including one where he was the true lead back.
And yet, after talking with NFL people about AC, Bielema said he could improve his draft stock. It's hard for me to imagine that he made it up to to try to get AC to come back. Nothing in his history suggests that he would do that.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 26, 2015, 07:53:28 am
And yet, after talking with NFL people about AC, Bielema said he could improve his draft stock. It's hard for me to imagine that he made it up to to try to get AC to come back. Nothing in his history suggests that he would do that.

Ok, he could improve by 3 spots, but make the same money.  A bunch of things could go wrong and HURT his draft stock if he comes back for another year.  Very little room to move up, a lot of room to move down if he tears an ACL or breaks his leg, gets arrested or suspended, underperforms, etc.  If his main goal is to improve his draft stock, it would be a mistake to come back.  If he just wants to get the full college experience and graduate, that's awesome.