Marcus Shavers
Tony Ugoh
Vickiel Vaughn
Reggie Banks
Micheal Grant
Lawrence Richardson
Ahmad Carroll
London Crawford

I don't believe Jason Peters was a 4-star.

These guys don't fit my definiton of national big time recruit.  A national big time recruit is a kid who when he signs with some, it simply crushes all the others who were after him.  And, when it comes to out of state talent, I dont rememeber the last guy, that say FSU, LSu and Tn was after that we ended up getting that really hurt their classes.  I remember it happeneing to us a ton of times. 

And, these guys you listed were/are good players, but are any of them truly great difference makers?  Felix could be.

Your definition of a big time national recruit is unreasonable as it applies to Arkansas, and here's why.  For a player to be a high-profile recruit, they must be recruited by multiple top schools.  However, top programs (which Arkansas currently is not) attract multiple 5 and 4-star recruits per class, and if they lose one, they simply sign another.  Middling and lower-tier programs and lucky to ever sign a 5-star player, and only get a couple of 4-star players per class.  Thus, those top programs will never be have one of their recruiting classes "crushed" by us taking a single player from them.  This might be less true in basketball, where you have fewer players, but in football the loss of one player will never have the impact you're talking about (on a top program).
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 02:02:40 pm
Wilson-- I agree there has to be limitations but when the AD has been known to meddle and then he comes out and tells the National media that he expect his program to have a couple of rough years.  Then he turns around and fires the coach because of those rough years.  What do you think that says to prospective coaches.  Do you think they have all forgotten Holtz/Hatfield?

Clean house.  Can JFB and HDN and you've solved both problems.

hogsanity

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 04:26:53 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2006, 12:19:00 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 06, 2006, 11:16:12 pm
4-star out-of-staters under HDN:

Felix Jones
Marcus Shavers
Tony Ugoh
Vickiel Vaughn
Reggie Banks
Micheal Grant
Lawrence Richardson
Ahmad Carroll
London Crawford

These guys don't fit my definiton of national big time recruit.  A national big time recruit is a kid who when he signs with some, it simply crushes all the others who were after him.  And, when it comes to out of state talent, I dont rememeber the last guy, that say FSU, LSu and Tn was after that we ended up getting that really hurt their classes.  I remember it happeneing to us a ton of times. 

And, these guys you listed were/are good players, but are any of them truly great difference makers?  Felix could be.

Your definition of a big time national recruit is unreasonable as it applies to Arkansas, and here's why.  For a player to be a high-profile recruit, they must be recruited by multiple top schools.  However, top programs (which Arkansas currently is not) attract multiple 5 and 4-star recruits per class, and if they lose one, they simply sign another.  Middling and lower-tier programs and lucky to ever sign a 5-star player, and only get a couple of 4-star players per class.  Thus, those top programs will never be have one of their recruiting classes "crushed" by us taking a single player from them.  This might be less true in basketball, where you have fewer players, but in football the loss of one player will never have the impact you're talking about (on a top program).

Ok, when was the  time we got a recruit from out of state that someone else wanted as much as we wanted Mitch?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GrizzledHogFan

July 07, 2006, 05:02:36 pm #103 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:27:06 pm by gmb_79
Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2006, 04:31:50 pm
Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 04:26:53 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on July 07, 2006, 12:19:00 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 06, 2006, 11:16:12 pm
4-star out-of-staters under HDN:

Felix Jones
Marcus Shavers
Tony Ugoh
Vickiel Vaughn
Reggie Banks
Micheal Grant
Lawrence Richardson
Ahmad Carroll
London Crawford

Ok, when was the  time we got a recruit from out of state that someone else wanted as much as we wanted Mitch?

My short answer is that I can't recall that ever happening (but I'm probably not the best person to answer that, since I'm fairly young).  A more complete answer would dependant on a couple of additional factors.  One, who do you mean when you say "we?"  If you ask we, the fans, a good chunk of them will say that Mitch is the most important recruit in the history of the school.  The coaches may not feel that strongly about him (this doesn't mean I think that our coaches don't think he'll be an excellent player, etc., but the fans have a tendency to hype things up a bit more, and have shorter memories than the coaches).  Two, I don't follow what fans and coaches of others schools say about the players they're recruiting, making your question even more difficult for me to answer.  I do think it's crucial for us to expand our core recruiting area beyond the state of Arkansas and the Texas schools' leftovers, which I think is your point.

southeasthog

Two things that turned me off to Danny Ford. (And I was jumping up and down when they hired him) He never referred to players with their name on the Danny Ford Show. It seemed like he didn't have the time to learn their names from their numbers. He called Madre Hill a sissy for complaining about his knee in the SEC Championship Game when Madre had a torn ACL. He was old school but had no class.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: southeasthog on July 07, 2006, 05:10:14 pm
Two things that turned me off to Danny Ford. (And I was jumping up and down when they hired him) He never referred to players with their name on the Danny Ford Show. It seemed like he didn't have the time to learn their names from their numbers. He called Madre Hill a sissy for complaining about his knee in the SEC Championship Game when Madre had a torn ACL. He was old school but had no class.

At least the man was big enough to admit mistakes.

Pork Twain

I never said HDN was great.  I said Ford did NOTHING for the UofA.  Read what I have posted.  I made a case that you cannot blame HDN for deep sixing our program when it had already been done when he got here.

A tie does not count as a win, because it was not a win therefor when you are talking about how many games a coach won a tie must count as a loss.  You cannot say he won a tie game.  The fact is he did not win it.

I agree that there are better coaches out there and JFB should have found one when HDN thought about Nebraska.  After he gave HDN a two year pass his hands became tied because nobody would want to play for him after him kidding on yet another coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

southeasthog

July 07, 2006, 05:50:32 pm #107 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:52:19 pm by southeasthog
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 07, 2006, 05:44:57 pm

What mistakes did he admit to? All I remember was a grimace and shake of the head when he learned of the torn acl. I'm not saying he didn't, I just don't remember.
Maybe he admitted he made a mistake when he undermined his friend Joe Kines.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 05:45:30 pm
I never said HDN was great.  I said Ford did NOTHING for the UofA.  Read what I have posted.  I made a case that you cannot blame HDN for deep sixing our program when it had already been done when he got here.

You may be right about Ford, but Nutt has also done nothing for the U of A.  He may not have deep sixed the program, but he sure as heck hasn't done much to improve it, and he is still just as far away from winning the NC he promised when he arrived.

A tie does not count as a win, because it was not a win therefor when you are talking about how many games a coach won a tie must count as a loss.  You cannot say he won a tie game.  The fact is he did not win it.

A tie should also not count as a loss, since he didn't lose the game.  Which is why I mentioned the option of discarding it entirely when calculating the winning %.

I agree that there are better coaches out there and JFB should have found one when HDN thought about Nebraska.  After he gave HDN a two year pass his hands became tied because nobody would want to play for him after him kidding on yet another coach.

Which is why JFB should have been fired, along with HDN (AD's at SEC schools should NOT be giving out two-year free passes to coaches unless they're a new hire, and maybe not even then).  The next coach would be dealing with an entirely different AD then, and the U of A could've washed its hands of the whole mess.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: southeasthog on July 07, 2006, 05:50:32 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 07, 2006, 05:44:57 pm

What mistakes did he admit to? All I remember was a grimace and shake of the head when he learned of the torn acl. I'm not saying he didn't, I just don't remember.
Maybe he admitted he made a mistake when he undermined his friend Joe Kines.

Say what you want about Coach Ford. The man didnt win much but he most def was big enough not to put blame on his players on his coach's show.

And the man built a championship caliber team that Nutt benefitted from his first two seasons and have not had a team even come close to Nutt's first two.

ClubChubby

July 07, 2006, 06:14:02 pm #110 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:19:12 pm by ClubChubby
When ford got here, we were in the worst shape arkansas has EVER been in.
Danny ford then built the BCS team that nutt has built his career on. Plain and simple. None of this is debatable, is it?

I keep hearing this chicken before the egg thing. What comes first great recruiting, or great coaching to get great recruiting?
Well, it's on the field coaching. Practice field coaching. Coaching up a lesser player. If we do better than expected with our 3 stars, send a few to the league, nfl coaches rave about them, we'll start getting some 4 and 5 stars, we'll win more, snowballing from there.

In fact, the exact opposite has happened under nutt and his cronies. We've gotten some good recruits, haven't won with them, and haven't coached them up, as all are better as freshmen than as seniors.

Think of all the public laughter from nfl camps about the nonexistent coaching our former razorbacks had received in fayetteville. As I recall, we've heard this same tune at the nfl camps about every single player nutt has ever sent to the pros.

This is truly the kiss of death for a program like arkansas, who doesn't have enough instate recruits.

Folks, nutt is not only a bad gameday coach, he and crew are bad fundamental coaches as well. This failure cannot be overcome on the recruiting trail. His assistants are not great coaches. Herring is good, but he'll never be a head coach. Just the thought of the others ever having this good a job again is hilarious.

Recruits want to win. Houston can't do that.

Recruits want to get to the league. Houston can only get you there if you are talented enough to overcome his poor coaching/playing you out of position. That will cost you money on draft day. And if you are that talented, why would you want to play in shreveport for nutt, instead of BCS bowls and championship rings elsewhere?

Houston IS the problem.
Along with frank.

Give Kragthorpe a shot. If he can't do any better in half the time nutt has had, fire his ass and try again.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: ClubChubby on July 07, 2006, 06:14:02 pm
When ford got here, we were in the worst shape arkansas has EVER been in.
Danny ford then built the BCS team that nutt has built his career on. Plain and simple. None of this is debatable, is it?

I keep hearing this chicken before the egg thing. What comes first great recruiting, or great coaching to get great recruiting?
Well, it's on the field coaching. Practice field coaching. Coaching up a lesser player. If we do better than expected with our 3 stars, send a few to the league, nfl coaches rave about them, we'll start getting some 4 and 5 stars, we'll win more, snowballing from there.

In fact, the exact opposite has happened under nutt and his cronies. We've gotten some good recruits, haven't won with them, and haven't coached them up at all, as all are better as freshmen than as seniors.

Think of all the public laughter from nfl camps about the nonexistent coaching our former razorbacks had received in fayetteville. As I recall, we've heard this same tune at the nfl camps about every single player nutt has ever sent to the pros.

This is truly the kiss of death for a program like arkansas, who doesn't have enough instate recruits.

Folks, nutt is not only a bad gameday coach, he and crew are bad fundamental coaches as well. This failure cannot be overcome on the recruiting trail.

Recruits want to win. Houston can't do that.

Recruits want to get to the league. Houston can only get you there if you are talented enough to overcome his poor coaching/playing you out of position. That will cost you money on draft day. And if you are that talented, why would you want play in shreveport for nutt, instead of BCS bowls elsewhere?

Houston IS the problem.
Along with frank.

Give Kragthorpe a shot. If he can't do any better in half the time nutt has had, fire his ass and try again.

Coach Ford took a bunch of players that hardly anybody wanted and whipped them into champions.

If anyone remembers, we played a murderous schedule in 97. We did screw up badly in the first of the year but by the time the year ended, you felt pretty good about the future.

That team just about took down Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU.

Steve Kragthorpe would be a great coach for us BTW.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ClubChubby on July 07, 2006, 06:14:02 pm
Folks, nutt is not only a bad gameday coach, he and crew are bad fundamental coaches as well. This failure cannot be overcome on the recruiting trail. His assistants are not great coaches. Herring is good, but he'll never be a head coach. Just the thought of the others ever having this good a job again is hilarious.

ClubChubby,  you hit the mother lode with this paragraph.  Not one member of the Murray St. Mafia has been sought after,  hired away or obtained a bigger and better job with another program in 9 years.

Coaches have come and gone,  but they were all previously established independent of our man Dale.  I think it's very telling that his core group have never been courted away to greener pastures.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pork Twain

July 07, 2006, 08:05:02 pm #113 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 08:07:40 pm by Superhog1975
That is why I am holding out hope.  HDN is no longer in charge of the O and GM, AW, RH and LC are all good guys to rely on.

I agree HDN and Co cannot/will not teach the fundamentals.  Otherwise RJ would have been ready to go when MJ left.

Take away the tie and Danny was 37.5% against the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 08:05:02 pm
That is why I am holding out hope.  HDN is no longer in charge of the O and GM, AW, RH and LC are all good guys to rely on.

I agree HDN and Co cannot/will not teach the fundamentals.  Otherwise RJ would have been ready to go when MJ left.

And to think he didn't want to hire half of those people.  Why in the hell anyone advocates to keep this guy, is beyond my comprehension.

WilsonHog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 08:06:49 pm
And to think he didn't want to hire half of those people.  Why in the hell anyone advocates to keep this guy, is beyond my comprehension.

I have a very simple question for anyone who would like to take a stab at it.

What does Houston Nutt bring to the table as the head coach at Arkansas?

What does he bring to the table?

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2006, 08:15:06 pm

Not a whole heck of a lot.  For more detailed responses, see the "The pro's and con's of HDN" thread.

TulsaHogFan

Great freaking question.

Only answer is what others have stated, he is better at groveling than predecessors. (sp?)

Pork Twain

A sense of stability that JFB can use when he hires his next coach.  I think that is why HDN is still here.  He can say, "Look I am done meddling and I won't fire you the first time you screw up."  No big time coach wants to deal with the JFB that shitcanned Hatfield.

Just like he can say, "I'm not racist, look I hired a black coach after I fired Big Mouth."  I think JFB has been working the media the last few years like it is a booster.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Superhog1975 on July 07, 2006, 08:28:31 pm
A sense of stability that JFB can use when he hires his next coach.  I think that is why HDN is still here.  He can say, "Look I am done meddling and I won't fire you the first time you screw up."  No big time coach wants to deal with the JFB that shitcanned Hatfield.

Just like he can say, "I'm not racist, look I hired a black coach after I fired Big Mouth."  I think JFB has been working the media the last few years like it is a booster.

Stability?  Done Meddling?  You have no idea whats going on up on the hill do you? 

He still meddles like a champ.  Problem is, i am not pissed about any of them. I just wish HDN would grow a pair and refuse. 

WilsonHog

July 07, 2006, 08:35:57 pm #120 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 08:42:17 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 08:31:52 pm

Stability?  Done Meddling?  You have no idea whats going on up on the hill do you? 

He still meddles like a champ.  Problem is, i am not pissed about any of them. I just wish HDN would grow a pair and refuse. 

Let's see. We've got a head coach who spent the last eight years as his own offensive coordinator because he enjoyed calling plays (even though he said playcalling was overrated). Now he's suddenly hired a former high school coach to be his offensive coordinator.

Yeah, I'm sure almost no one will see through that. 

In terms of how he was hired, Gus is the 2000s version of Jack Crowe (1980s) and Kay Stephenson (1990s). It happens once a decade under JFB.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 07, 2006, 08:35:57 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 08:31:52 pm

Let's see. We've got a head coach who spent the last eight years as his own offensive coordinator because he enjoyed calling plays (even though he said playcalling was overrated). Now he's suddenly hired a former high school coach to be his offensive coordinator.

Yeah, I'm sure almost no one will see through that. 

In terms of how he was hired, Gus is the 2000s version of Jack Crowe (1980s) and Kay Stephenson (1990s). It happens once a decade under JFB.

I and most other hogfans would much much rather Gus call the plays than Nutt.

Richard_white

July 07, 2006, 09:20:47 pm #122 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:23:53 pm by Richard_white

A few things that Dale brings to the table for Arkansas.

1 Love for the helmet.  What coach would say that?  Any coach that gets paid 1.5 a year.

2 I am an Arkansan.  So is Billy Bob Thorton. 

3 He is a good rah rah coach.  That explains why we are under .500 in the SEC.

4 We are Arkansas.  We should just accept mediocrity.  I wonder if the UofA would give me back my money.

wooo

wrightobe

Quote from: WindyCityHog on July 05, 2006, 11:25:27 pm
Good points by all....

Winning=recruiting.....Recruiting=winning.

There HAS to be a starting point though....

Look at a traditional power like Nebraska....If you have ever been there, you would know that 1.  Nebraska doesn't produce a lot of HS talent, and 2.  It took some winning to get the recruits.

Kansas State was able to do it for a while under Snyder....
Ferentz has turned Iowa around...
West Virginia does it every few years (and they are loaded this year)...
Wisconsin does it routinely...

Ultimately, I lay the "recruiting" at the feet of the coaching staff.  Nutt has this national perception" of "doing more with less"....

Really?

Is Arkansas HS THAT bad?....Is that "more with less" label BS?....

Ah....there MAY be the rub.

For many years a lot of the good athlete recruits that played for the Razorbacks came from the Central Arkansas area, especially in and around Little Rock.

But when Central Arkansas and especially Little Rock started having gang problems, and showing up at the high school football games, especially the cross town rival games, and started fights, rioting, and other kind of problems, the attendance for the games dropped significantly, there was also a severe drop of players to play football, and as a result for several years the Razorbacks did not have any recruits from the Little Rock, Central Arkansas area.

It has gotten much better as players such as Keith Jackson and McFadden have proven, but the
recruiting is still not up to par in the Central Arkansas area as it was, before the gang problem began to hamper the high school football programs in the Little Rock area.

Pork Twain

Can you say EIGHT years???  Has JFB ever shown that much restraint with any other coach?  Sure he forced a new GM, AW, and most likely RH on HDN but the man has still got his job.  Does that sound like the JFB of old?  The JFB of old would have darn canned HDN after year number 5 and no major bowl.

JFB is a hands on AD and everyone in the USA knows that or they are living under a rock.  I was just trying to say that he has backed off.

wrightobe

In my opinion he brings the intangibles that make winners. 

I believe the players believe they will truly win, and that is one of the intangibles that team must have to be a winner, and Houston Nutt has them believing they can and will win.

WilsonHog

Quote from: wrightobe on July 07, 2006, 10:48:54 pm

I believe the players believe they will truly win, and that is one of the intangibles that team must have to be a winner, and Houston Nutt has them believing they can and will win.

31 - 33.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 07, 2006, 10:01:18 pm
But when Central Arkansas and especially Little Rock started having gang problems, and showing up at the high school football games, especially the cross town rival games, and started fights, rioting, and other kind of problems, the attendance for the games dropped significantly, there was also a severe drop of players to play football, and as a result for several years the Razorbacks did not have any recruits from the Little Rock, Central Arkansas area.

I have seen some amazing stuff in my time here.  But this takes the cake. 

Its gangs fault now for the U of A having problems?

Holy fricking crap.  You gotta be kidding me.

TulsaHogFan

Yep he did that 9 times in two years. 

Glad you believe this, cause counting you, that makes one.

The rest of us live in a place we like to refer to as reality where there are rules and accountability. 

Richard_white

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 11:24:59 pm

The gang war in 1995.  The war that ended the Hogs recruiting in Little Rock.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Richard_white on July 07, 2006, 11:26:33 pm

The gang war in 1995.  The war that ended the Hogs recruiting in Little Rock.

Can't wait to see Bangin in the Hood as a part of a special behing the lines on ESPN one night.

GrizzledHogFan

wrightobe

No way am I kidding, and the LR papers have written about this for several years.

Are you not aware of the gang riots that went on at some of the high school games in Little Rock, and the fans quit in droves at attending the games for safety of their families and their kids?

This is also affected the football teams numbers of players coming out for football, and yes that affected the recruiting.

If this is the first you have heard of this, then you have not heard much, MOD!!

Got anymore "freaking" insults, mod!!?

wrightobe

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 11:26:31 pm

The rest of us live in a place we like to refer to as reality where there are rules and accountability. 
You are so "real and wise", it is really amazing to us "morons".

Why don"t you apply for the Head Coach job at U of A? 

With your knowledge of "coaching and winning", I am sure your interview would knock them over, and you could name your price.

Rat on, ban on, smite on, one of great football knowledge.  Sheezzzz!!

hogface_12

How may schools wanted MM before we got him?? I dont really know how many schools there were but i heard there were a lot.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: hogface_12 on July 08, 2006, 12:10:23 pm
How may schools wanted MM before we got him?? I dont really know how many schools there were but i heard there were a lot.

I think he had 21 or 22 offers, including Arkansas, but don't quote me on that.

TulsaHogFan

July 08, 2006, 01:02:02 pm #137 Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:05:34 pm by TulsaHogFan
Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 09:17:07 am

No way am I kidding, and the LR papers have written about this for several years.

Are you not aware of the gang riots that went on at some of the high school games in Little Rock, and the fans quit in droves at attending the games for safety of their families and their kids?

This is also affected the football teams numbers of players coming out for football, and yes that affected the recruiting.

If this is the first you have heard of this, then you have not heard much, MOD!!

I am not sure why you would ask for any insults, due to the fact that i never once insulted you.  I called the argument essentially a joke.  Why you may ask?  Cause i was enrolled in the Little Rock school system from 1994-1996.  I witnessed it.  I attended games at LR Central's Quigley Stadium.  I remember watching Bangin in the Hood and laughing about it. 

I remember discussing it in class and laughing with friends of mine at Central.

I have never once, not ever; seen one single article about how gang violence destroyed LR recruiting for Fayetteville.  I do remember getting Cobbs and others out of LR with no problems.  I don't remember having gang violence influence who went out for the teams either. 

Basically your argument is gonna get insulted here because its crap.  There is no basis and it has absolutly zero grounds.

Pick another one.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 09:24:53 am

With your knowledge of "coaching and winning", I am sure your interview would knock them over, and you could name your price.

Thats right, no one can do any better, we are just little ole Arkansas and unless i can personally do a better job, i have no right to criticize. 

Great job my friend.  You just gave me the HDN supporters motto.

That argument is ridiculous as well.  I have every right to criticize the decisions on the field.  Do you think movie critics have to be award winning directors to give an opinion on a film? So why do i have to be a coaching legend to say i disagree with decisions made on the hill?  Why is that?

Oh and why are you refering to yourself as a moron.  No one here called you one that i saw.

wrightobe

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 01:02:02 pm

I am not sure why you would ask for any insults, due to the fact that i never once insulted you.  I called the argument essentially a joke.  Why you may ask?  Cause i was enrolled in the Little Rock school system from 1994-1996.  I witnessed it.  I attended games at LR Central's Quigley Stadium.  I remember watching Bangin in the Hood and laughing about it. 

I have never once, not ever; seen one single article about how gang violence destroyed LR recruiting for Fayetteville.  I do remember getting Cobbs and others out of LR with no problems.  I don't remember having gang violence influence who went out for the teams either. 

Basically your argument is gonna get insulted here because its crap.  There is no basis and it has absolutly zero grounds.

Pick another one.
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 01:02:02 pm

Pick another one.
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 01:04:50 pm
Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 09:24:53 am

Thats right, no one can do any better, we are just little ole Arkansas and unless i can personally do a better job, i have no right to criticize. 

Great job my friend.  You just gave me the HDN supporters motto.

That argument is ridiculous as well.  I have every right to criticize the decisions on the field.  Do you think movie critics have to be award winning directors to give an opinion on a film? So why do i have to be a coaching legend to say i disagree with decisions made on the hill?  Why is that?

Oh and why are you refering to yourself as a moron.  No one here called you one that i saw.

It has been noted several times in the Democrat-Gazette about the dry years that there were no recruits for the Razorbacks from the Little Rock are simply because of lack of talent due to the decline of the footballl programs in Little Rock, and thiis was based on the decline in attendance of the kids and their families due to the fear and safetry factor.

Up till that time, Litttle Rock was the bed rock of some of the Razorbacks greatest recruits, and it was noted that the decline in the Razorback's winning was parallel with the dry recruiting in the Little Rock.

That's all

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 01:20:24 pm
It has been noted several times in the Democrat-Gazette about the dry years that there were no recruits for the Razorbacks from the Little Rock are simply because of lack of talent due to the decline of the footballl programs in Little Rock, and thiis was based on the decline in attendance of the kids and their families due to the fear and safetry factor.

Up till that time, Litttle Rock was the bed rock of some of the Razorbacks greatest recruits, and it was noted that the decline in the Razorback's winning was parallel with the dry recruiting in the Little Rock.

That's all

I would like to see a copy of this article or any others that would back up this claim.  Because as a student living in Little Rock for a LARGE portion of my life, i am going to have to call BULLCRAP.  We may not have recruited here heavily, but the players were here, and the programs were not effected enough by gangs to create the past 15 years of no BCS bowl games.

EastexHawg

SOME parents who can afford to do so are taking their kids out of public schools all over the country.  It's not just a Little Rock thing.

Do you think there is no gang violence in Birmingham...or Baton Rouge...or New Orleans...or Memphis...or Jackson...or Atlanta?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 08, 2006, 01:23:43 pm

That's all

I would like to see a copy of this article or any others that would back up this claim.  Because as a student living in Little Rock for a LARGE portion of my life, i am going to have to call BULLCRAP.  We may not have recruited here heavily, but the players were here, and the programs were not effected enough by gangs to create the past 15 years of no BCS bowl games.

Do not question the Gang Czar!   ;D
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

wrightobe

That's all

Well, you might call, or e-mail the Dem-Gazette Sport Dept staff, and see if they have any information for you. 

In their opinion, it was one of the major contributions to the decline in the wins.

Of course with the majority of the mods on hogville, the only problem with the Razorback football program is Houston Nutt, period.!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 02:49:23 pm

That's all

Well, you might call, or e-mail the Dem-Gazette Sport Dept staff, and see if they have any information for you. 

In their opinion, it was one of the major contributions to the decline in the wins.

Of course with the majority of the mods on hogville, the only problem with the Razorback football program is Houston Nutt, period.!!

Learn how to frame arguments and participate in discussion without being an ass.

Oklahawg

Gang problems in North Tulsa did not keep BTWashington from turning out Michael Tate and Felix Jones in football and Kevin Carnby (?) in baseball for UA. TSST did give Okie State Prentice Elliott who was a part of Mike Gundy's purge, and he is a lose cannon. BTW turns out tons of D1 ballplayers in numerous sports. Heart of North Tulsa.

East Central in Tulsa? Right in the heart of Tulsa's Barrio? No problem turning out 2 D1 players who signed with Iowa State last year. They have another one who camped at UA earlier this summer. Maybe the best CB in OK this year.

Uh, I don't think Dallas Carter is in the middle of the Metroplex's designated "Kum-Bah-Yah" zone. It didn't keep us from signing two players last February.

Gang problems in LR? Puh-lease.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TulsaHogFan

That's all

Well i am sorry but yes, HDN has had a lot to do with it.

To be honest the whole freaking coaching staff has.  Its not just HDN.  Its the ones HE HAS HIRED.

Yet you seem to want to blame it on everything BUT the coaching staff, from recruiting problems, clouds, and now gang wars.

wrightobe

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 08, 2006, 02:53:16 pm

That's all

Learn how to frame arguments and participate in discussion without being an ass.
I sure do not want to "learn" from you, "wise in thine own eyes guy"

Oklahawg

What does HDN bring to UA? What an awesome question.

He brings someone competent enough to keep UA a viable option on the national scene for the NEXT coach. He's not awful and is seen by many unbiased folks (national media) as a decent coach.

JFB wants career coaches, guys whose last job is at UA. HDN allows JFB to keep up that illusion because it is a powerful selling point for UA.

HDN has proven himself willing to be manipulated by in-state power brokers. That makes him a valuable commodity for those doing the manipulating.

Someone, HDN and his cronies manage to take his assemblage of players and win enough to keep things interesting on places like hogville. If we were Buffalo State can you imagine how few folks would be posting!?!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: wrightobe on July 08, 2006, 02:57:57 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 08, 2006, 02:53:16 pm

That's all

I sure do not want to "learn" from you, "wise in thine own eyes guy"
You make an awful large number of accusations without any evidence.  I am still waiting on mine, now you accuse an admin of framing his arguments to be an ass?  Interesting stuff.  Can't wait for an example of this.