Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football is over.....So let's talk football!!! The SEC next year.

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, January 08, 2008, 07:17:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Now that the season is over, we are debating who is leaving, who isn't and who is transferring in or out. Some we know are gone and others we are pretty sure are gone, but at this point, we can't be totally certain. So let's look at it as if the "maybe's" are coming back and try to see how the conference will shape up next year. What I have done here is to look at the teams in the SEC and see how many underclassmen may be coming back to fill what positions. As much as we talk about what it takes in terms of talent and depth to win in the SEC, I hope that you find this interesting. Here are how many players could be coming back at each school in the SEC by position and by the number of experienced players on the team and the number of game appearances they had last year. How do you think we compare in terms of depth and returning experience to the other SEC teams? I will welcome your comments.

SEC West

Alabama                       Arkansas                        Auburn
         1-6 Games   7+ Games     1-6 Games   7+ Games     1-6 Games    7+ Games
QB            2              1                  0               2                 1               2
RB            0              5                  1               3                 2               3 
WR           2              5                  3               4                 2               5
TE            2              3                  1               4                 0               2
OL            4              9                  4               4                 5               9
DL            3              5                  3               5                 0               7
LB            1              4                  0               7                 3               5
DB            1              9                  2               9                 2               6
               15            41                14              37               15              39

LSU                           Ole Miss                         Miss State
         1-6 Games   7+ Games    1-6 Games    7+ Games     1-6 Games    7+ Games
QB            1               1               0                0                 1                2
RB            0               5               2                4                 0                3
WR           1               6               1                6                 1                5
TE            1               2               0                1                 2                0
OL            3               7               0                5                 2                7
DL            2               7               6                5                 0                9
LB            3               4               3                8                 1                6
DB            1               6               2                7                 4               12
              14              38             13               36               11               44

SEC East

Florida                         Georgia                           Kentucky
        1-6 Games   7+ Games     1-6 Games   7+ Games      1-6 Games    7+ Games
QB          1              1                  2              1                   2                0
RB          2              2                  1              4                   2                6
WR         0              8                  1              5                   2                3
TE          0              3                  2              2                   2                2
OL         4              11                 2               8                  5                5         
DL          4              7                  4              9                   4                6
LB          2              8                  0               7                  1                7
DB          2              9                  0              10                 4                7
            15             49                12              46                22              36

S. Carolina                     Tennessee                        Vanderbilt
        1-6 Games   7+ Games     1-6 Games    7+ Games     1-6 Games    7+ Games
QB          0               2                 0               1                  0               2
RB          2               5                 0               5                  0               4
WR         5               6                 0               9                  1               7
TE          0               2                 1               3                  0               4
OL          3               4                 3               6                  5               4
DL          2               8                 3               7                  2               5
LB          2               4                 1               7                  1               5
DB         3                9                 2               8                  0              10
            17              40               10              46                 9              41       
Go Hogs Go!

txkrazorback

Arkansas better than average; LSU is looking pretty thin...
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

MuskogeeHogFan

I am not sure Arkansas is above average and then LSU looks thin. Our numbers, theirs and Ole Miss's look fairly similar, though I am sure there is a huge chasm in talent between LSU and Ole Miss. I was impressed with the numbers returning for Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. I also thought it was significant looking at the depth Ole Miss has on defense and the lack of it on offense. HDN will surely have to live up to "doing more with less". :)
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Looks to me......if experience and depth is any indicator, that the guys to beat are going to be Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Miss State is even making a strong statement in terms of returning experienced players.
Go Hogs Go!

txkrazorback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2008, 07:28:16 pm
I am not sure Arkansas is above average and then LSU looks thin. Our numbers, theirs and Ole Miss's look fairly similar, though I am sure there is a huge chasm in talent between LSU and Ole Miss. I was impressed with the numbers returning for Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. I also thought it was significant looking at the depth Ole Miss has on defense and the lack of it on offense. HDN will surely have to live up to "doing more with less". :)

DUDE: You're numbers on returning players CHANGED from the time I posted!!! You initially had LSU returning less than 10 per grouping.
When I looked at your post saying LSU doesn't look thin, I went back and YOU CHANGED YOUR NUMERS!
QUOTE: « Last Edit: Today at 06:31:06 PM by MuskogeeHogFan »
Next time; just tell everyone you've changed them before you respond to a post based upon your faulty schism...
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: txkrazorback on January 08, 2008, 07:56:04 pm
DUDE: You're numbers on returning players CHANGED from the time I posted!!! You initially had LSU returning less than 10 per grouping.
When I looked at your post saying LSU doesn't look thin, I went back and YOU CHANGED YOUR NUMERS!
QUOTE: « Last Edit: Today at 06:31:06 PM by MuskogeeHogFan »
Next time; just tell everyone you've changed them before you respond to a post based upon your faulty schism...

No, I didn't change them from the time I orginally posted them. Oh, I didn't have totals posted for LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State like I did for others, so I stuck the totals by grouping in there. But that is it. And you know, there is no reason to be a nasty little cuss because you didn;t see that those columns hadn;t been totalled like all the others. It isn't like you get drawn and quartered for making a statement regardless of what it is based on.........so lighten up Francais.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

It looks to me like Florida and Georgia will have the strongest and deepest O-Lines in the East and Alabama and Auburn the same in the West for 2008. What about the other position depth at various schools? Your thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?
Go Hogs Go!

txkrazorback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2008, 07:59:11 pm
No, I didn't change them from the time I orginally posted them. Oh, I didn't have totals posted for LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State like I did for others, so I stuck the totals by grouping in there. But that is it. And you know, there is no reason to be a nasty little cuss because you didn;t see that those columns hadn;t been totalled like all the others. It isn't like you get drawn and quartered for making a statement regardless of what it is based on.........so lighten up Francais.
Well, you contradict yourself twice in your response.

btw, beep beep, your new av is here...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: txkrazorback on January 08, 2008, 08:15:39 pm
Well, you contradict yourself twice in your response.

btw, beep beep, your new av is here...

You, are making a big deal out of nothing. Lighten up, move on, have nice day...if that is possible for you.
Go Hogs Go!

txkrazorback

want2be

Good work, Muskogee........maybe I don't understand your formula, so before I go further I would ask:

Who had more than 7 games at QB except C. Dick that is coming back?

At RB Smith had 7 games, but who else that is not coming back ?
This is based on Jones and DMac go pro?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on January 08, 2008, 08:24:43 pm
Good work, Muskogee........maybe I don't understand your formula, so before I go further I would ask:

Who had more than 7 games at QB except C. Dick that is coming back?

At RB Smith had 7 games, but who else that is not coming back ?
This is based on Jones and DMac go pro?

This has Felix coming back, but D-Mac not. The numbers are difficult to discern because they include guys who could have been on special teams. In reality, we have only one QB with real experience since I understand that Emert is leaving. On eof the other RB's that made an appearance in every game was Darcel Johnson, but I suspect that was all on special teams as his stats reflect something like 23 assisted tackles and 30 unassisted tackles for the season. Those really are pretty good numbers when you think about it. Maybe he could play corner? Anyway, that is what all of this is based on. It isn't like the NCAA gives you the most exact stats so you have to go with what you have to work with.
Go Hogs Go!

want2be

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2008, 08:41:34 pm
This has Felix coming back, but D-Mac not. The numbers are difficult to discern because they include guys who could have been on special teams. In reality, we have only one QB with real experience since I understand that Emert is leaving. On eof the other RB's that made an appearance in every game was Darcel Johnson, but I suspect that was all on special teams as his stats reflect something like 23 assisted tackles and 30 unassisted tackles for the season. Those really are pretty good numbers when you think about it. Maybe he could play corner? Anyway, that is what all of this is based on. It isn't like the NCAA gives you the most exact stats so you have to go with what you have to work with.

I guess I need to chew this a little finer...............What is pertinent to me is playing time in a specific position........If a coach sees talent that can be used elsewhere, that is his responsibility and decision....I am just a Want2Be so I don't have the opportunity to see players practice.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on January 08, 2008, 08:52:42 pm

I guess I need to chew this a little finer...............What is pertinent to me is playing time in a specific position........If a coach sees talent that can be used elsewhere, that is his responsibility and decision....I am just a Want2Be so I don't have the opportunity to see players practice.

The fact of the matter is that players are groomed for playing time at an early age by their involvement in special teams. It isn't like being out there every single play, but it brings a player along........it is good experience. Special Teams play at an early age doesn't mean they are relegated to that forever, if they are freshmen or even sophomores, it just means a coach is getting them ready to play. Playing time at a specific position can be earned through this method, through practice play or even through running on the scout team, is a player begins to dominate and show potential. The vast majority of the players that I have listed have been playing regularly....either first team, second team or in special teams. They all reflect a certain amount of experience. And this is experience that is important to a team in regard to competing for a conference or national championship. So, just because some of this may reflect special teams play, don't let this dissuade you to think that these teams aren't experienced in many ways. Experience is experience and the teams that have it, and have depth, generally win.
Go Hogs Go!

gohogs

January 08, 2008, 10:59:39 pm #14 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:01:18 pm by gohogs
this is how I see it IMO

West
Auburn
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

East
Georgia
Florida
USCe
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

Winner- Georgia

top QBs

1. Tebow
2. Stafford
3. Kodi Burns? lol idk
4. ?
5. ?

top RBs

1. Felix Jones if he stays
1. Knowshawn Moreno if Jones leaves
2. Auburn's rotating backs
3. Cory Boyd
4. Terry Grant
5. one of LSU's RBs (williams, scott, etc...)

top WRs

1. Percy Harvin
2. Kenny McKinley
3. Lucas Taylor
4. one of LSU's (cant remember them all)
5. Massaquoi at UGA (unless he is a Sr.)

that was actually harder than I thought it would be

HatfieldHog

I say this, and "I" know!

SEC East

LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Arkansas
Miss. St.
Ole Miss

SEC East

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Mark it down, and take it to the bank.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Hogtropolis™

January 08, 2008, 11:11:50 pm #16 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:14:23 pm by Hogtropolis™
I'm going to have to wait a while before I start trying to predict what is going to happen.  We could very easily finish 5th next year.  There is going to be a lot of good teams in the SECW next year.

As far as your top QB's go.  I would say that Ryan Perrilloux (sp?) from LSU has a good chance of being the best QB in the SEC.

mword

I don't about Auburn winning the west. I don't think they are that great.

idiotghos

Quote from: schweine on January 08, 2008, 11:13:39 pm
I don't about Auburn winning the west. I don't think they are that great.

They did alright for themselves this year, and one of the few starters they're losing is Cox in favor of Burns.  Otherwise, almost the entire team is back.

awwyeah84

Quote from: HatfieldHog on January 08, 2008, 11:04:38 pm

SEC East

LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Arkansas
Miss. St.
Ole Miss

SEC East

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

See ya

2 SEC Easts?!
and Vanderbilt isn't in the SEC anymore!
AHHHHHH!!!!

PigglyWiggly

Quote from: HatfieldHog on January 08, 2008, 11:04:38 pm

SEC East

LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Arkansas
Miss. St.
Ole Miss

SEC East

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

See ya

Poor ole Vandy didn't even make the cut...oh well, we all know where they'll be in that list.

MuskogeeHogFan

You guys are killing me. You can't just seem to talk football. You seem to have to have something that "inflames" you. Forget HDN, he is gone, thank you very much. Let's turn ourselves to talking about next year and our hopes for the future. Come on guys...........is this thread too techinical for you or have I not explained it simply enough? Give me your comments.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2008, 11:34:20 pm
You guys are killing me. You can't just seem to talk football. You seem to have to have something that "inflames" you. Forget HDN, he is gone, thank you very much. Let's turn ourselves to talking about next year and our hopes for the future. Come on guys...........is this thread too techinical for you or have I not explained it simply enough? Give me your comments.

Players returning is one thing, and experince is valuable, but how good is that returning talent?  The Hogs, especially on defense, and more directly, the db's, are not very good at all.  And I am not even going to get into Qb play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2008, 11:37:28 pm
Players returning is one thing, and experince is valuable, but how good is that returning talent?  The Hogs, especially on defense, and more directly, the db's, are not very good at all.  And I am not even going to get into Qb play.

And you would be right as I earlier referenced above. A great example of what you speak of could be the comparision between our numbers, Ole Miss's numbers and LSU's. Similar in terms of numbers, but the quality inside those numbers may be different from team to team. Still, having depth is important and you have to believe that most kids that make it to this level have to have some talent to compete and can reach theri full potential through better coaching. So, to me, though these numbers are not the answer to everything, that are nonetheless a potential indicator of success.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gohogs on January 08, 2008, 10:59:39 pm
this is how I see it IMO

West
Auburn
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

East
Georgia
Florida
USCe
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

Winner- Georgia

top QBs

1. Tebow
2. Stafford
3. Kodi Burns? lol idk
4. ?
5. ?

top RBs

1. Felix Jones if he stays
1. Knowshawn Moreno if Jones leaves
2. Auburn's rotating backs
3. Cory Boyd
4. Terry Grant
5. one of LSU's RBs (williams, scott, etc...)

top WRs

1. Percy Harvin
2. Kenny McKinley
3. Lucas Taylor
4. one of LSU's (cant remember them all)
5. Massaquoi at UGA (unless he is a Sr.)

that was actually harder than I thought it would be

That is a great, well thought out post! Great job. Thanks for your input on this.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: idiotghos on January 08, 2008, 11:26:30 pm
They did alright for themselves this year, and one of the few starters they're losing is Cox in favor of Burns.  Otherwise, almost the entire team is back.

I agree, I think Auburn can and will make a run at the title next year barring injuries. If Burns goes down at QB, they may be screwed, but there are a lot of teams that are in that position next year.
Go Hogs Go!

Duke of Buckingham

No offense, but I don't think "game appearances" is of much use as a predictive statistic.

Everybody plays depth in the SEC. It's starters or proven backups returning that is more important, IMO.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 08, 2008, 11:11:50 pm
I'm going to have to wait a while before I start trying to predict what is going to happen.  We could very easily finish 5th next year.  There is going to be a lot of good teams in the SECW next year.

As far as your top QB's go.  I would say that Ryan Perrilloux (sp?) from LSU has a good chance of being the best QB in the SEC.

I think we will know a lot more about our chances after the Spring game. A lot of questions will be answered between now and when camp opens in August. I think we may see several position changes but I believe our chances for a good season next year may be better than many think.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Duke of Buckingham on January 09, 2008, 07:23:06 am
No offense, but I don't think "game appearances" is of much use as a predictive statistic.

Everybody plays depth in the SEC. It's starters or proven backups returning that is more important, IMO.

I understand what you are saying and in one sense, you are right. The number of returning starters is important. But in the SEC, you may have one guy listed as a starter and the #2 guy comes in and out of the game frequently and winds up playing about 50% of the time. So merely being listed as a starter doesn't indicate that guy got all the snaps. In some cases, you are right, but game appearances nonetheless can be a strong indicator of experience levels on a team.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

January 09, 2008, 08:19:05 am #29 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:20:45 am by MuskogeeHogFan
To make this a little simpler, take a look at what teams have how many players coming back on each side of the ball with 7+ games experience.

Alabama
Offense-23
Defense-18
They have JPW back at QB and have most all of their o-line back with lots of quality depth at RB. Their lone weaknesses appear to be a lack of depth at LB and along the D-Line.

Auburn
Offense-21
Defense-18
Weak at TE and RB and the question remains, can Burns find the consistency to be an every down QB? I think he can. They could use more depth at LB but especially at DB.

Arkansas
Offense-17
Defense-21
Can CD improve and acclimate to BP's new offense? Is Felix coming back? If not, who steps up? Finding depth at many positions is going to be an issue but the biggest question mark other than at QB, will be finding an effective Secondary.

LSU
Offense-21
Defense-17
LSU needs to find more depth at LB and DB. If RP goes down at QB, they coudl be in a world of hurt.

Ole Miss
Offense-16
Defense-20
Their strength will be their defense. On offense, they have no depth and no QB. Doing more with less? :) We'll see.

Miss State
Offense-15
Defense-27
They will be short on RB's and TE's. Their defense will be their strong point, again.

Florida
Offense-25
Defense-24
Their only apparent weakness will be at RB where they need to find 1-2 more that can play regularly. They better hope that TT doesn't go down since he seems to be the firing pin of their offense. Will he have a "post Heisman hangover"?

Georgia
Offense-20
Defense-26
No apparent weaknesses. Are they the team to beat?

Kentucky
Offense-16
Defense-20
Gone is their record setting QB. They are weak at WR and along the O-Line and they could use more depth along the D-Line as well. Back to the cellar?

S. Carolina
Offense-19
Defense-21
USC(E) will be extremely weak in their O-Line which may hurt them greatly since they like to throw so much. They also need to find more depth at LB.

Tennessee
Offense-24
Defense-22
Their biggest question mark is at QB since Ainge is gone. I would htink they might be a candidate for Mallett, but they need help now. Other than that, the Vols look strong and deep for next year.

Vanderbilt
Offense-21
Defense-20
They are thin at both the O-Line and D-Line. It is a good thing that they have two QB's that are mobile. On defense, because of their weakness up front, I bet the secondary will be lending a LOT of run support this year.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Can it be, based on the above, that Georgia is the team to beat this year in the SEC? Early projected SEC Champ for 2008?
Go Hogs Go!

Conway Cool Daddy

Tennesse was playing pretty darn good ball at seasons end. Their defense was really playing tough.
I see them making a lot of noise in the east. If they can get a QB watch out for this team.

Florida and Georgia are both going to be solid. Imagine Florida if they can pick up that Pryor kid at QB.
It's almost not fair.

The West is wide open.
I don't see a clear favorite.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 09, 2008, 01:20:20 pm
Tennesse was playing pretty darn good ball at seasons end. Their defense was really playing tough.
I see them making a lot of noise in the east. If they can get a QB watch out for this team.

Florida and Georgia are both going to be solid. Imagine Florida if they can pick up that Pryor kid at QB.
It's almost not fair.

The West is wide open.
Tennessee has a 5 star parade all-american in the wings who has spent three years in the system.  He played us at Fayetteville when Ainge was hurt.

Pryor would not play next year for Florida with Tebow still around.  Maybe in a cleanup role.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on January 09, 2008, 01:29:58 pm
Tennessee has a 5 star parade all-american in the wings who has spent three years in the system.  He played us at Fayetteville when Ainge was hurt.

Pryor would not play next year for Florida with Tebow still around.  Maybe in a cleanup role.

Urban has shown he is not afraid to play a true freshman in spots, plus if Tebow goes down the kid would be available. Did you see the Army HS game? Pryor is the spitting image of Vince Young.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 09, 2008, 01:33:11 pm
Urban has shown he is not afraid to play a true freshman in spots, plus if Tebow goes down the kid would be available. Did you see the Army HS game? Pryor is the spitting image of Vince Young.

I did not catch the game but from reports by coaches, the Pryor kid is good.

want2be

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2008, 08:19:05 am
To make this a little simpler, take a look at what teams have how many players coming back on each side of the ball with 7+ games experience.

Alabama
Offense-23
Defense-18
They have JPW back at QB and have most all of their o-line back with lots of quality depth at RB. Their lone weaknesses appear to be a lack of depth at LB and along the D-Line.

Auburn
Offense-21
Defense-18
Weak at TE and RB and the question remains, can Burns find the consistency to be an every down QB? I think he can. They could use more depth at LB but especially at DB.

Arkansas
Offense-17
Defense-21
Can CD improve and acclimate to BP's new offense? Is Felix coming back? If not, who steps up? Finding depth at many positions is going to be an issue but the biggest question mark other than at QB, will be finding an effective Secondary.

LSU
Offense-21
Defense-17
LSU needs to find more depth at LB and DB. If RP goes down at QB, they coudl be in a world of hurt.

Ole Miss
Offense-16
Defense-20
Their strength will be their defense. On offense, they have no depth and no QB. Doing more with less? :) We'll see.

Miss State
Offense-15
Defense-27
They will be short on RB's and TE's. Their defense will be their strong point, again.

Florida
Offense-25
Defense-24
Their only apparent weakness will be at RB where they need to find 1-2 more that can play regularly. They better hope that TT doesn't go down since he seems to be the firing pin of their offense. Will he have a "post Heisman hangover"?

Georgia
Offense-20
Defense-26
No apparent weaknesses. Are they the team to beat?

Kentucky
Offense-16
Defense-20
Gone is their record setting QB. They are weak at WR and along the O-Line and they could use more depth along the D-Line as well. Back to the cellar?

S. Carolina
Offense-19
Defense-21
USC(E) will be extremely weak in their O-Line which may hurt them greatly since they like to throw so much. They also need to find more depth at LB.

Tennessee
Offense-24
Defense-22
Their biggest question mark is at QB since Ainge is gone. I would htink they might be a candidate for Mallett, but they need help now. Other than that, the Vols look strong and deep for next year.

Vanderbilt
Offense-21
Defense-20
They are thin at both the O-Line and D-Line. It is a good thing that they have two QB's that are mobile. On defense, because of their weakness up front, I bet the secondary will be lending a LOT of run support this year.

Agree that Georgia is the favorite with the hungriest coach and a top 5 recruiting class this year. Their returning starters are strong...If Mureno stays healthy he is going to be their stud.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 09, 2008, 01:20:20 pm

It's almost not fair.

The West is wide open.

I think Bama and Auburn will be the teams to beat this year.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on January 09, 2008, 01:29:58 pm

Who is the five star at Tennessee?
Go Hogs Go!

Hogtropolis™

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 09, 2008, 09:12:50 pm
Jonathan Crompton.

I've seen that kid play.......I don't think he has ever lived up to his billing though, has he?
Go Hogs Go!

tuskwound

OK, heres the way I see it, nowbody has a friggin clue what anybody is going to do until they strap that chin strap on and PLAY................THATS JUST THE FACTS MY FRIEND, some well thought out post though.
"To hell with those fellows, buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." -Josey Wales

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tuskwound on January 09, 2008, 09:38:06 pm
OK, heres the way I see it, nowbody has a friggin clue what anybody is going to do until they strap that chin strap on and PLAY................THATS JUST THE FACTS MY FRIEND, some well thought out post though.

I don't disagree, but that is about like making an obvious statement like, "it is a game of inches". I hear what you are saying, but this is what this forum is for, is it not? If we don't talk about it before they "strap it on", I guess that means we might as well shut the site down or limit it to just talking about(UGH) basketball? I think it is o.k. if we discuss it and specualte about it well  before they "strap it on....my friend", don't you?
Go Hogs Go!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2008, 09:16:56 pm
I've seen that kid play.......I don't think he has ever lived up to his billing though, has he?
He doesn't look to be a world beater or anything, but he played decent.  He really has only gotten to play in two games and hasn't really had a chance to get settled in as the starting QB.  I don't think he will be the best in the SEC next year, but he will probably be in the top half.  Here are his stats from 2006 when he played a significant amount of time in two games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=175658&year=2006

Also, here is his Rivals.com recruiting info from 2005.  He is from NC and it looks as though he was recruited by most the top schools in the nation even though he was just a 4-star.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=22345&sport=1

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 09, 2008, 10:37:47 pm
He doesn't look to be a world beater or anything, but he played decent.  He really has only gotten to play in two games and hasn't really had a chance to get settled in as the starting QB.  I don't think he will be the best in the SEC next year, but he will probably be in the top half.  Here are his stats from 2006 when he played a significant amount of time in two games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=175658&year=2006

Also, here is his Rivals.com recruiting info from 2005.  He is from NC and it looks as though he was recruited by most the top schools in the nation even though he was just a 4-star.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=22345&sport=1

The question is, given Tennessee's offense, and the fact that he is going to be surrounded by a lot of talent, does he have to do more than just "manage" the game and not make dumb mistakes? Or will he have to step out and really make key decisions in a split second? He may be great, I don't really know, but I do know he has been sitting and watching and learning for what seems like a couple of years now.
Go Hogs Go!

LRCentralTiger

January 09, 2008, 10:49:27 pm #44 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:53:33 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2008, 09:16:56 pm
I don't think Ainge would have look too good the night we beat them in Fayetteville.  Heck we could have beat Florida that night.  He played a very strong game coming off the bench against LSU when Ainge went down.  Folks around Knoxville think he can be better than Ainge and some were upset because he was not starting after the loss to Bama.

Now that Cutcliff has departed, a big part of Crompton's success will depend on the new OC and QB coach.  Fulmer will have a QB coach.  He found out how valuable Cutcliffe was in helping Ainge the past two years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on January 09, 2008, 10:49:27 pm
I don't think Ainge would have look too good the night we beat them in Fayetteville.  Heck we could have beat Florida that night.  He played a very strong game coming off the bench against LSU when Ainge went down.  Folks around Knoxville think he can be better than Ainge and some were upset because he was not starting after the loss to Bama.

Now that Cutcliff has departed, a big part of Crompton's success will depend on the new OC and QB coach.  Fulmer will have a QB coach.  He found out how valuable Cutcliffe was in helping Ainge the past two years.

We'll see.........I wish it were August right now! I am ready for the 2008 season. Can't wait.
Go Hogs Go!

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2008, 08:41:16 pm
I think Bama and Auburn will be the teams to beat this year.

I think Auburn will have drastic improvement on offense, but there defense will take a step backwards.

LSU is losing the best coach on their staff. NFL attrition is going to start wearing them down as well.

Bama? Who knows? JPW is decent enough that they should have a chance in any ball game.
(Plus the Grant kid is pretty salty at RB.) I don't know anything about their D.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on January 10, 2008, 08:28:14 am
I think Auburn will have drastic improvement on offense, but there defense will take a step backwards.

LSU is losing the best coach on their staff. NFL attrition is going to start wearing them down as well.

Bama? Who knows? JPW is decent enough that they should have a chance in any ball game.
(Plus the Grant kid is pretty salty at RB.) I don't know anything about their D.

Defense could be a question that haunts both of them. Alabama needs depth along their D-Line and Auburn needs depth in their secondary and both need depth at LB. Bama has most all if not all of their starting backers back, can't remember about Auburn's. If they can find answers there, I think they will both be strong. Offensively, they should both be terrors. Like you, I expect LSU to have a bit of a NC hangover and attrition may get to them as well.
Go Hogs Go!