Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 10:02:12 am
- 35 years old.
- Only in his 2nd year as a Head coach.
- Took over a program built by Fuente.

Not sure about him. Not proven enough.
I'm not saying that he is "the guy", but how can you ever really know when you hire a coach. Gus and Freeze both won pretty quickly. Now we know how Freeze got his talent , but his coaching of that talent was pretty good. Gus inherited a talented team and did well with it from the start, so he didn't have to build anything. Freeze didn't inherit much and did well for a while. All I guess I'm saying is you never really know what you are getting when you hire a coach. You just hope that you can catch lightning in a bottle. I think the appeal to most of the Norvell supporters is that he has Arkansas ties and if he had success here that he wouldn't bolt for the next big name school that came calling.

BigE_23

- 35 years old.

Bert was "proven" and look what it got us. I'm not saying that it means we should throw caution to the wind, just that resumes can be awfully deceiving.

I'm not sold on Norvell either...unless we strike out with a few others on the short list. Having said that Norvell should be on said list.

PLHawg

Hiring any coach is a roll of the dice, but I like what I see with this guy.  What I don't want us to do is try to get a "big name" that's only gonna flirt with us to renegotiate their existing contract.  With the state our program is in we're gonna have to hire an up and comer, that's just reality whether anyone wants to admit it or not.  We definitely need someone with an offensive pedigree because the only way we're gonna win in this league is to outscore them, the absolute last thing I want to see is more Brettball.  I used to live in Memphis and went to U of M, believe me anyone that can recruit players to play in the Liberty Bowl gets an ovation from me.

Kevin

heard a guy on bo yesterday saying the hogs should hire tim Horton.

no thanks, I would take norvell
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

- 35 years old.

Exactly what we need. Young, energetic, with something to prove. No more multimillionaire retreads.

Hire him or someone like him yesterday and give a short leash with actual winning expectations. If it doesn't work out fire him in 2/3 years max and try again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

I swear some of you must just go to the scoreboard on Sat night and see what team scored the most points, and then start lusting after their coach. Norvell has been a HC for all of 18 games. He went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. They knocked off UCLA this year then got boot stomped by UCF. Using Hogville logic we should really be after the UCF coach since his team beat the team of the coach you guys want.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 10:34:36 am
I swear some of you must just go to the scoreboard on Sat night and see what team scored the most points, and then start lusting after their coach. Norvell has been a HC for all of 18 games. He went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. They knocked off UCLA this year then got boot stomped by UCF. Using Hogville logic we should really be after the UCF coach since his team beat the team of the coach you guys want.
Who do you want?

#1 STUNNA

young.. energetic.. and knows offense.. can prolly get him for cheap.. and he wants to be here...

hogsanity

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 10, 2017, 10:36:41 am
Who do you want?

Either someone that has actually been someplace long enough to have had to play with all his own players or a coordinator that has never had to do that. In either case we know we are not getting someone that got our attention using someone elses players. I have not studied the college coach ranks but I have gone further than seeing Memphis put up 70 on Uconn and suddenly thinking Norvell is the next Saban.

I truly do not think it matters because I do not think anyone can recruit well enough here in the foreseeable future to do much anytime soon.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on October 10, 2017, 10:38:00 am
young.. energetic.. and knows offense.. can prolly get him for cheap.. and he wants to be here...

Oh goodie we can lose 63-49. You've spoken to him? You KNOW he wants to be here? You know he will come cheap?

TNhawgfan

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 10, 2017, 10:14:00 am
I think he's the Stan Heath of football.  He'll want Bielema-type money and I don't think he's proven he's worth it yet.  Would much rather have Brohm.
Ridiculous comparison. We all know heath was hired because of the color of his skin and the upcoming lawsuit from Nolan. Norvell might not be ready for the SEC, but he ain't heath
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogsanity

Quote from: TNhawgfan on October 10, 2017, 10:44:00 am
Ridiculous comparison. We all know heath was hired because of the color of his skin and the upcoming lawsuit from Nolan. Norvell might not be ready for the SEC, but he ain't heath

Heath was the hot name because Kent St got hot and made some NCAAT noise. And you are right, his color made him even hotter for the Hogs. Memphis is making noise by putting up insane points against bad defensive teams. The only good D they faced yet, UCF, beat them.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Hogtired10 on October 10, 2017, 09:09:18 am
Someone started a petition to hire Mike Norvell.
Does anyone know anything about him?

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/366/757/680/hire-mike-norvell/

He's an interesting choice with his Arkansas ties, but he's so unknown......He's doing well at Memphis right now, but Fuente set that program up for success.......

Two up and comers I'd like to see possibly at Arkansas are Joe Moorhead or Venables, but I think everyone is going to be after Vernables when this season is said and done....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 10:46:26 am
Heath was the hot name because Kent St got hot and made some NCAAT noise. And you are right, his color made him even hotter for the Hogs. Memphis is making noise by putting up insane points against bad defensive teams. The only good D they faced yet, UCF, beat them.
I do remember that kent state run, but I don't remember any hog fans being really happy about hiring heath and his slow big 10 style. There would be hog fans optimistic and happy with norvell

hogsanity

Quote from: TNhawgfan on October 10, 2017, 10:50:43 am
I do remember that kent state run, but I don't remember any hog fans being really happy about hiring heath and his slow big 10 style. There would be hog fans optimistic and happy with norvell

No, there was no great buzz among hog fans for Heath, but he was replacing a very popular coach who was still only 6 or 7 years removed from back to back title game appearances. IF and it is still IF BB is let go, whoever the next guy is will probably create some excitement, especially if fans think he is bringing an offense that is going to put up 50 every week. Then around this time next year, after some real SEC defenses thump them, buyers remorse will set in.

The again I have long held the belief that many hog fans would rather got 7-5 or 6-6 with the games being 56-53 shootouts than go 8-4 or 9-3 with the games being 20-17 type games.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 10:42:38 am
Oh goodie we can lose 63-49. You've spoken to him? You KNOW he wants to be here? You know he will come cheap?

such a sensitive soul..lol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 10:54:46 am
No, there was no great buzz among hog fans for Heath, but he was replacing a very popular coach who was still only 6 or 7 years removed from back to back title game appearances. IF and it is still IF BB is let go, whoever the next guy is will probably create some excitement, especially if fans think he is bringing an offense that is going to put up 50 every week. Then around this time next year, after some real SEC defenses thump them, buyers remorse will set in.

Ok, I totally get that. And you may be right. But it's still hard for me to compare any hire to heath. He's still one of the top 2-3 worst hires in the history of the university.

hogsanity

Quote from: TNhawgfan on October 10, 2017, 11:00:54 am
Ok, I totally get that. And you may be right. But it's still hard for me to compare any hire to heath. He's still one of the top 2-3 worst hires in the history of the university.

I think the guy who made the comparison was just thinking about how Heath became a hot name among coaches very quickly due to a run with some other coach's players, so I get that part of it. That one year was his only one as HC at Kent. Norvell is only 18 games in at Memphis and just about every player contributing was a Funetes recruit. 

I'd compare Norvell more to Matt Rhule. 2 nothing years at Temple, then two good years and suddenly he must be the next great coach. No, he just had a couple good years in a g5 league, and this year Temple would have been right back down to around 6-6 whether he stayed or left.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Hogtired10 on October 10, 2017, 09:09:18 am
Someone started a petition to hire Mike Norvell.
Does anyone know anything about him?

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/366/757/680/hire-mike-norvell/

Someone started a petition to bring Mike Leach here before that.  Mike Leach would be a much better choice than Norvell. I don't know why so many people on Hogville are up Mike Norvell's butt. 

//https://www.change.org/p/jeff-long-hire-mike-leach-bring-arkansas-football-back-to-national-prominence
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

hogsanity

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 10, 2017, 11:12:12 am
Someone started a petition to bring Mike Leach here before that.  Mike Leach would be a much better choice that Norvell. I don't know why some many people on Hogville is up Mike Norvell's butt. 

I guarantee it is because Memphis scored 70 on uconn. Until then they knew nothing about him.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 09:39:45 am
Guy doesn't have enough history for me.  He also walked in too a program where someone else did all the work to turn it around and he walked in and kept the good going, instead of getting it going. 

He is flavor of the week and also went to UCA.  He might very well work out, but his resume is not good enough yet, in my opinion. 

Agree today. At the end of the season maybe I'll be a little more receptive or even less. They still have four teams to play that are ahead of them in their division of the AAC. They are all winnable but also could lose them all. IF they win two of them and are competitive in the other two then I'd take a closer look. The other is Tulsa and they are ahead of them in the standings.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Tusks

If you're from arkansas and led your life by how things look on 'paper' we'd all be working in some kind of mfg. plant somewhere in ar destined for poverty.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 11:13:28 am
I guarantee it is because Memphis scored 70 on uconn. Until then they knew nothing about him.

I live in a Memphis suburb. They are very happy with him here and if he continues to win they know he'll be a candidate for bigger jobs. He appears to be a good head coach but it's still early in his career.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

By your logic we ought to shut the football program down because everything is an impossiblility.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Seebs

If he brings Deborah with him I am in.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 11:34:06 am
Agree today. At the end of the season maybe I'll be a little more receptive or even less. They still have four teams to play that are ahead of them in their division of the AAC. They are all winnable but also could lose them all. IF they win two of them and are competitive in the other two then I'd take a closer look. The other is Tulsa and they are ahead of them in the standings.

My opinion won't change after this season of him.  I want to see a guy that has recruited his own players at a place and established a good program.  A guy that wins with HIS guys is what we need. 

razorcash2

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 11:40:23 am
My opinion won't change after this season of him.  I want to see a guy that has recruited his own players at a place and established a good program.  A guy that wins with HIS guys is what we need. 

That's also my preference. But a good fall back might be an up and comer.

TrueBlue

Someone started a petition to bring Mike Leach here before that.  Mike Leach would be a much better choice than Norvell. I don't know why so many people on Hogville are up Mike Norvell's butt. 

//https://www.change.org/p/jeff-long-hire-mike-leach-bring-arkansas-football-back-to-national-prominence

Yes and for discipline, we will lock our players in work sheds.

Inhogswetrust

I'd be surprised if the UCF coach Scott Frost doesn't get the Nebraska job. He's another up and comer but Nebraska is his Alma Mater.

clutch

He pulled Riley Ferguson in on his own. That was a pretty good get.

clutch

He did inherit a good program after Fuente, however the offense he is running is totally his own. The guy can coach the heck out of some offense and there's absolutely no debating that. I've been listening to and talking to him at coaching clinics for a 3-4 years now. He's always the sharpest dude in the room. His RPO's are so hard to defend. If he has a QB that can make the reads he is going to put up tons of points every week no matter where he is.

I've been hoping that one day he would be the head hog since I first met him a few years ago. I know he hasn't proven much to a lot of people as a head coach, but I think we would be missing out on a really good one if we miss the boat.

Roaringboar

Leach is just getting a ton of hype because of what's going on in Wazzou right now.....too much baggage I feel like, and he really wouldn't win in the SEC with that air-raid offense......I like Leach, and I think he's one of the Pac-12's best, but until he beats a top notch SEC, ACC, or Big 10 program, I just can't believe he'd be very dominant here......don't forget, Bielema was decent in the Big 10 when he was there, and no success he had there has translated here at all.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

hogsanity

That is what I want to. A guy who went somewhere to become the HC and built it on his own.

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2017, 12:02:57 pm
He pulled Riley Ferguson in on his own. That was a pretty good get.

Riley is a gunslinger, he will throw them in too trouble just as quick as his arm will win them a game against UCLA or put 70 on UConn. 

Lets not get caught up on anointing a coach off of one recruilt, one win, one year.  The odds of this bighting us in the arse are greater. 

Also, isn't Norvell reaping the benefits of a WR making all their dynamic plays that Justin F brought in?  I know he was the one running crazy on UCLA.  Just look at the bigger picture.  I have no discredit anything about Norvell, just saying its EXTREMELY small sample size. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2017, 12:06:24 pm
He did inherit a good program after Fuente, however the offense he is running is totally his own. The guy can coach the heck out of some offense and there's absolutely no debating that. I've been listening to and talking to him at coaching clinics for a 3-4 years now. He's always the sharpest dude in the room. His RPO's are so hard to defend. If he has a QB that can make the reads he is going to put up tons of points every week no matter where he is.

I've been hoping that one day he would be the head hog since I first met him a few years ago. I know he hasn't proven much to a lot of people as a head coach, but I think we would be missing out on a really good one if we miss the boat.

No offense, but you say this about this coach and many would say the same about "their" guy.  People often support the guy they can draw an association with, I met him, he recruited my buddies son, etc. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 10, 2017, 12:06:49 pm
Leach is just getting a ton of hype because of what's going on in Wazzou right now.....too much baggage I feel like, and he really wouldn't win in the SEC with that air-raid offense......I like Leach, and I think he's one of the Pac-12's best, but until he beats a top notch SEC, ACC, or Big 10 program, I just can't believe he'd be very dominant here......don't forget, Bielema was decent in the Big 10 when he was there, and no success he had there has translated here at all.....

Honest question on Leach, has he ever built a O line or D line anywhere?  We watched a similiar system with Kelly at Oregon get destroyed by SEC type lines on both sides of the ball. 

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 12:20:14 pm
Riley is a gunslinger, he will throw them in too trouble just as quick as his arm will win them a game against UCLA or put 70 on UConn. 

Lets not get caught up on anointing a coach off of one recruilt, one win, one year.  The odds of this bighting us in the arse are greater. 

Also, isn't Norvell reaping the benefits of a WR making all their dynamic plays that Justin F brought in?  I know he was the one running crazy on UCLA.  Just look at the bigger picture.  I have no discredit anything about Norvell, just saying its EXTREMELY small sample size. 

It is funny there have been at least 2 threads specifically about Norvell, and he comes up in every coaching thread, but hardly anyone mentions they would like Frost. Yet they are averaging 47 pts a game and are 4-0 including a 40-13 win over Norvell's Memphis team.

ballz2thewall

a man that is hungry will sing for his supper.

norvell didn't ride the spoon like dooley and Kiffin. whatever he has, he made it.
The rest of the frog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 12:24:37 pm
It is funny there have been at least 2 threads specifically about Norvell, and he comes up in every coaching thread, but hardly anyone mentions they would like Frost. Yet they are averaging 47 pts a game and are 4-0 including a 40-13 win over Norvell's Memphis team.

Frost likely goes to Nebraska if they want him and if a change is made there. It looks like there will be.   

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 12:22:54 pm
Honest question on Leach, has he ever built a O line or D line anywhere?  We watched a similiar system with Kelly at Oregon get destroyed by SEC type lines on both sides of the ball. 

No. His Qb gets hit as much as AA does.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 10, 2017, 12:25:04 pm

norvell didn't ride the spoon like dooley and Kiffin. whatever he has, he made it.

You guys are going to make me look like I'm down on the guy, but you're statement is completely wrong.  He took over AFTER someone turned the program around. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 10, 2017, 12:25:04 pm

What does that mean?  As a head coach, he has one season at a rebuilt program (by Fuente) in which he used Fuente's players to go 8-5 in a Group of 5 conference.  Sure, he worked his ass off to get where he is.  That doesn't mean he'll be successful as a head coach.  Right now, I think he has A LOT to prove before we go giving him Bielema level money.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 12:26:54 pm
Frost likely goes to Nebraska if they want him and if a change is made there. It looks like there will be.   

Thats true, but that is not why people are not mentioning him. When they bring up the outlandish names they do, the thought a guy might go somewhere else is no deterrent to bringing him up. They do not bring him up because UCF gets no coverage from ESPN and they are not terribly flashy. They dont have a inked up QB throwing 1k passes per game putting up 70. Hog fans, maybe all fans, as very attracted to shiny things.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 12:30:09 pm
Thats true, but that is not why people are not mentioning him. When they bring up the outlandish names they do, the thought a guy might go somewhere else is no deterrent to bringing him up. They do not bring him up because UCF gets no coverage from ESPN and they are not terribly flashy. They dont have a inked up QB throwing 1k passes per game putting up 70. Hog fans, maybe all fans, as very attracted to shiny things.

There was once a race against a tortoise and a hare. Everyone liked the shiny fast hare. Everyone that bet on the hare lost.......................

My point is I don't care how shiny a coach looks if they win the race. Nicks teams aren't shiny. They simply win.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 11:13:28 am
I was on him after the UCLA win. But you aren't worth arguing with; you've basically stated that we will suck no matter what so it would be wonderful if you left HV and never came back

snoblind

Quote from: Seebs on October 10, 2017, 11:40:01 am
If he brings Deborah with him I am in.

Maria would kick her butt.

Hogarusa

What does "get him for cheap" mean. We are in the SEC, which means you are starting salary talk at $3 million. How mich success are you expecting with the 12th highest salary in the SEC combined with bottom 5 recruiting?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me