Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legit Question Regarding CBB

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, February 21, 2016, 01:16:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

One of the things he was very specific about when leaving a Wisconsin was that he couldn't keep his staff intact. I know this was mostly about the AD not being willing to fork over the dough, but he said coaching continuity was very important to him.

So, now here at Arkansas, we are willing to pay up with the best of them, but quite a few have moved on to other teams. Some for better jobs, some for lateral, and some were CBBs decision. But the fact is, one of CBBs main job had been to go out and find a "diamond in the rough" assistant in which I don't believe there is anyone better. He does this so well...but he has had to do this quite often.

All that to finally ask, do you think he is getting frustrated with the assistant turnover? I don't think he is wanting to leave or anything, but he is encountering the same problem that he was frustrated with at Wisconsin.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Inhogswetrust

Oh WOW! Why haven't we covered this breaking news question and story?! One would think we would have already discussed it. Oh wait NEVERMIND.........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 01:19:13 pm
Oh WOW! Why haven't we covered this breaking news question and story?! One would think we would have already discussed it. Oh wait NEVERMIND.........................................

Ha ha...wow. Waita be a dick about it. I haven't had much time to do/read anything for a while. I've just been thinking about it and I scrolled down, didn't see any threats that sounded anything like it, so I just asked.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers so much.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

tophawg19

it happens to every good team. When you play at this level , people are going to come after your coaches . i believe we are going to have to start paying a lot more to keep them . we are in the Age of million + coordinators and 500,000 assistants . the value is even higher on top recruiters . If your team is going to run with the big dogs , you have to have to spend with them or crawl under the porch
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

factchecker

Quote from: factchecker on February 18, 2016, 08:54:55 pm
Article about Coach Bielema's coaching changes with interesting quote from Coach Enos:

Coaching changes under Bielema over the last 5 years

citation: http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Bret-Bielema-continues-to-lose-assistant-coaches

Coach Bielema has had less coaching turnover then Charlie and Malzahn the past two years. However he has had 16 changes since 2011.  Coachingsearch.com notes that 10 of 16 Coach Bielema's staff changes have been for promotions; the NFL or increased job titles.

Staff changes @ Auburn under Malzahn

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Graphic-A-look-at-the-Auburn-staff-turnover-under-Gus-Malzahn

Staff changes @ texass under Charlie

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-A-look-at-the-Texas-staff-turnover-under-Charlie-Strong
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 21, 2016, 01:30:51 pm
it happens to every good team. When you play at this level , people are going to come after your coaches . i believe we are going to have to start paying a lot more to keep them . we are in the Age of million + coordinators and 500,000 assistants . the value is even higher on top recruiters . If your team is going to run with the big dogs , you have to have to spend with them or crawl under the porch

I get that assistants will be lost and money will have to be shelled out. But we've been shelling out the money, but it just seems like we're replacing coaches much more often than other programs. Maybe I just don't see it cuz I don't follow their programs.

greenEGnHAWGS

Thanks factchecker, some good info. I didn't realize that about Auburn and Texas.

factchecker

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:39:48 pm
Thanks factchecker, some good info. I didn't realize that about Auburn and Texas.

No problem.  I'm happy that we are finally returning both coordinators (Enos and Smith) for the first time this coming up season.  Crazy to think that we've either had a new OC or DC every season the past 3 years.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

nwahogfan1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:16:54 pm
One of the things he was very specific about when leaving a Wisconsin was that he couldn't keep his staff intact. I know this was mostly about the AD not being willing to fork over the dough, but he said coaching continuity was very important to him.

So, now here at Arkansas, we are willing to pay up with the best of them, but quite a few have moved on to other teams. Some for better jobs, some for lateral, and some were CBBs decision. But the fact is, one of CBBs main job had been to go out and find a "diamond in the rough" assistant in which I don't believe there is anyone better. He does this so well...but he has had to do this quite often.

All that to finally ask, do you think he is getting frustrated with the assistant turnover? I don't think he is wanting to leave or anything, but he is encountering the same problem that he was frustrated with at Wisconsin.

I think his first hires here were done in hast so he could get to recruiting and so many were not the perfect hires for him.  Now as one of those coaches leave he is not prone to offer more money to stay buy says thank you for your time here and bye.  I think his 2nd hires have been much better.  I am hoping the 3rd hires will even be better than that.

FANONTHEHILL

If Hogville had existed when Coach Broyles was here, we would have screamed, "the sky was falling" every year.  I'm not sure when being at the top of a coaching tree became a negative thing. Coach Bielema is making great hires as his staff evolves. The hiring of Coach Anderson to replace Pittman is a great example.  He's a great teacher, great motivator, will add even more to recruiting, and the OLine loves him.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

radar

Most positives/negatives with head coaches are career long, although different reasons or excuses will be used from one season to the next, or at each program during the journey. For whatever reason it is happening, continual turnover of assistants is damaging to recruiting and continuity.

10thPlanet

Some of you guys are, well can't say it here. Not everyone sits around on Hogville all day. That would be nice if we could. Not all threads even if on the same topic have the same info, same posters. Obviously, the older post has newer info. I think some wet the bed late in life.

SRV

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:35:59 pm
I get that assistants will be lost and money will have to be shelled out. But we've been shelling out the money, but it just seems like we're replacing coaches much more often than other programs. Maybe I just don't see it cuz I don't follow their programs.

I think it happens a lot because Coach B is very good at finding good coaches. Of the coaches that left for jobs that weren't necessarily perceived as promotions, money didn't seem to be the deciding issue.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

SRV

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 02:10:20 pm
Some of you guys are, well can't say it here. Not everyone sits around on Hogville all day. That would be nice if we could. Not all threads even if on the same topic have the same info, same posters. Obviously, the older post has newer info. I think some wet the bed late in life.

It definitely takes some of the fun out of hogville.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Ironhawg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 02:10:20 pm

To whom is your comment directed?

10thPlanet

Ironhawg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 02:33:10 pm
Not you, but if I said you?

I would say that I posted the link to an earlier thread to try to be  helpful to the OP.  Then I would say if you don't like that feel free to stuff it.

10thPlanet

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 21, 2016, 02:49:33 pm
I would say that I posted the link to an earlier thread to try to be  helpful to the OP.  Then I would say if you don't like that feel free to stuff it.
I am glad we cleared that up. Posting links to help posters find info is the right thing to do. I don't really know why you thought I was talking about you. Informing them on how uneducated they are on a topic is being a jerk. I thought, I was going to have to meet you at Sonic in Alma. I just finished paying off the last civil judgment against me.

Ironhawg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 02:59:28 pm
I am glad we cleared that up. Posting links to help posters find info is the right thing to do. I don't really know why you thought I was talking about you. Informing them on how uneducated they are on a topic is being a jerk. I thought, I was going to have to meet you at Sonic in Alma. I just finished paying off the last civil judgment against me.

I never assume I know more than anyone about anything.  I see no problem in helping other folks if the information is readily available to me. 

10thPlanet

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 21, 2016, 03:02:06 pm
I never assume I know more than anyone about anything.  I see no problem in helping other folks if the information is readily available to me. 
Me neither, my brain is only so big. Plus, I chose a sport that got me hit in the head a lot. Iron, you've been here long enough you remember when we had those two that wanted to meet at Sonic in Alma to fight? It was pure gold of a thread. I wish I could remember the two posters, it's been a few years.

Ironhawg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 03:07:30 pm
Me neither, my brain is only so big. Plus, I chose a sport that got me hit in the head a lot. Iron, you've been here long enough you remember when we had those two that wanted to meet at Sonic in Alma to fight? It was pure gold of a thread. I wish I could remember the two posters, it's been a few years.

Oh gosh.  That would have been during the Nutt years?  I vaguely remember it, but that thread spawned so many copycats I have no hope of remembering who started that whole Alma Sonic thing!

nchogg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 02:59:28 pm
I thought, I was going to have to meet you at Sonic in Alma. I just finished paying off the last civil judgment against me.

Grow up. Your just like everyone else that is faceless behind a keyboard. Posters are hear to discuss topics and you can't take post personal. You don' tknow if ironhawg is a Mike Tyson or Peewee Herman type. But if your Sonic comment helps your ego then continue.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: nchogg on February 21, 2016, 03:21:04 pm
Grow up. Your just like everyone else that is faceless behind a keyboard. Posters are hear to discuss topics and you can't take post personal. You don' tknow if ironhawg is a Mike Tyson or Peewee Herman type. But if your Sonic comment helps your ego then continue.

Dude I think they are chatting in jest and not serious.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Majority of CBB's coaching hires have coach in the NFL or in a P5 conference prior to coaching here. I wouldn't call that under the radar.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Stepping Stone U.

Much like Broyles was well regarded as preparing a coach for the next steps in a coaching career, Bielema is known as a guy that can be poached from. Be it recruits, assistants or quotes to misrepresent.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Ironhawg

It's ok.  We're cool.

nchogg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 21, 2016, 03:30:25 pm
I realized that after the post and read ironhawg response. All the Young Dudes "Mott the Hoople"

10thPlanet

I am playing meanie weinie. I am not going to grow up. They have Sonics in NC?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:30:16 pm
Ha ha...wow. Waita be a dick about it. I haven't had much time to do/read anything for a while. I've just been thinking about it and I scrolled down, didn't see any threats that sounded anything like it, so I just asked.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers so much.

Yet you've had enough time to post 430 times since you joined in September of last year. It has been discussed not only on here but ad naseum everywhere you hear about the Hogs........On TV, on radio, in newspapers, on other boards, on blogs, etc., etc. What rock do you live under? Did you honestly believe it had not been discussed with the things being said about it when he was hired several years ago? Come on man. Also how in the world did you miss a thread that mentioned this that was just started THREE days ago?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:35:59 pm

Then how could it seem like it to you since you admit you don't follow other programs?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: nchogg on February 21, 2016, 04:04:46 pm
I realized that after the post and read ironhawg response. All the Young Dudes "Mott the Hoople"

Oh well misinterpreting happens to all of us from time to time. Mine just come more frequent than others.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

10thPlanet

Coaches move. Part of the job. I am not really too disappointed that we lost our D back coach. It could be our talent, it could be scheme, it could be we were relying too much on a D line push. Enos would've hurt me.

longpig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 21, 2016, 03:30:25 pm

Apparently 10th planet isn't earth. ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 04:45:35 pm
Yet you've had enough time to post 430 times since you joined in September of last year. It has been discussed not only on here but ad naseum everywhere you hear about the Hogs........On TV, on radio, in newspapers, on other boards, on blogs, etc., etc. What rock do you live under? Did you honestly believe it had not been discussed with the things being said about it when he was hired several years ago? Come on man. Also how in the world did you miss a thread that mentioned this that was just started THREE days ago?

The rudeness in this thread is uncalled for.  The OP didn't start a list of coaching changes.  He went to the trouble to set up his question - is Bret Bielema frustrated by the number of assistants he has had to replace at Arkansas given his stated purpose for leaving Wisconsin.  There was no criticism in the question.  No hidden agenda.

Yes, he's probably a bit frustrated, but he has to feel good about the quality of assistants he's been able to hire at Arkansas. 

See how easy that is?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

10thPlanet

greenEGnHAWGS

February 21, 2016, 06:22:20 pm #36 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:40:26 pm by greenEGnHAWGS
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 04:45:35 pm

I live in Virginia. I don't get the...ummm...luxury (?) of turning on the radio and listening about the Hogs. Our going to work and talking to someone who cares about the Hogs. No. I get to come to Hogville and get to ask men who haven't taken their midol yet.

So there was a previous thread about the coaching changes...ok. my question was solely based off how CBB is handling it since that was one of the main reasons he left Wisky.

JIHawg

Would you rather have the alternative-that we have assistants nobody else wants?

Inhogswetrust

February 21, 2016, 06:38:17 pm #38 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:35:16 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bphi11ips on February 21, 2016, 05:10:29 pm
The rudeness in this thread is uncalled for.  The OP didn't start a list of coaching changes.  He went to the trouble to set up his question - is Bret Bielema frustrated by the number of assistants he has had to replace at Arkansas given his stated purpose for leaving Wisconsin.  There was no criticism in the question.  No hidden agenda.

Yes, he's probably a bit frustrated, but he has to feel good about the quality of assistants he's been able to hire at Arkansas. 

See how easy that is?

We have had some good respectable discussions between us. When you get to be a MOD our Admin here then you can call me out. Yes I admit I was rude but sometimes dumb questions that have been covered and RECENTLY still arise. Also you can be rude in threads sometimes. Don't call me out for doing it unless you yourself will not do so either. We both know you have to have a pair on here and they better be brass or steel.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 06:38:17 pm
We have had some good repeatable discussions between us. Yes I admit I was rude but sometimes dumb questions that have been covered and RECENTLY still arise. Also you can be rude in threads sometimes. Don't call me out for doing it unless you yourself will not do so either.

What was my dumb question? Please answer me that. I already said, yes, there was another thread about coaching changes. All I wanted to do is ask if there was any similar frustrations that CBB has had at his previous job with us now.

Not sure why anyone's first thought of rational is to attack, but it is definitely a HV theme.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 06:22:20 pm
I live in Virginia. I don't get the...ummm...luxury (?) of turning on the radio and listening about the Hogs. Our going to work and talking to someone who cares about the Hogs. No. I get to come to Hogville and get to ask men who haven't taken their midol yet.

So there was a previous thread about the coaching changes...ok. my question was solely based off how CBB is handling it since that was one of the main reasons he left Wisky.

No problem. That being said where in Virginia do you live? I lived in Richmond years ago and loved it. Also worked for several months in Roanoke and loved it as well.

Inhogswetrust

February 21, 2016, 06:49:28 pm #41 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:19:53 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 06:44:38 pm
What was my dumb question? Please answer me that. I already said, yes, there was another thread about coaching changes. All I wanted to do is ask if there was any similar frustrations that CBB has had at his previous job with us now.

Not sure why anyone's first thought of rational is to attack, but it is definitely a HV theme.

IF CBB is frustrated then that is a question for him, not Hogville posters. Onkly HE knows if he is frustrated or not. Otherwise it is simply speculation. Now IF he shows or discusses any frustrations he has as he did when he left Wisconsin then his discussion is fair game.

LZH

I have wondered if we are paying our assistants enough. I know it is awfully easy for me to sit back and say, "well another million here and another million there should do it." But the last time I looked we are still in the bottom one third in what we pay our coordinators and position coaches.

I don't think there's any argument anymore, certainly not from me, that Bielema knows how to hire the assistants he wants. Surely money isn't going to be a factor in losing any of these guys. Does anyone have any idea how Jeff Long and company decide how much to pay our assistant coaches? And, I wonder how much input BB has in that conversation.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 21, 2016, 07:03:05 pm
I have wondered if we are paying our assistants enough. I know it is awfully easy for me to sit back and say, "well another million here and another million there should do it." But the last time I looked we are still in the bottom one third in what we pay our coordinators and position coaches.

I don't think there's any argument anymore, certainly not from me, that Bielema knows how to hire the assistants he wants. Surely money isn't going to be a factor in losing any of these guys. Does anyone have any idea how Jeff Long and company decide how much to pay our assistant coaches? And, I wonder how much input BB has in that conversation.

Put another 20,000 seats on RRS and sell them out, and we can move up in pay. Our SEC competitors have that advantage over us, outside of that, we compete well. Our basketball and baseball programs aren't drags on the overall budget, like some, so that helps a little.

JIHawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 06:22:20 pm

By golly I think you have Coach Bielema on this one.  Way to go!  You just kicked Coach Bielema's ass.  Good job. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Huh? I don't even know how your response correlates with my post. Did I attack CBB in any way?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 06:47:09 pm
No problem. That being said where in Virginia do you live? I lived in Richmond years ago and loved it. Also worked for several months in Roanoke and loved it as well.

Oh cool. I live right outside Blacksburg so this is Hokie Nation...and it's nauseating. The area is absolutely beautiful though. I love it.

kp72204

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 21, 2016, 03:42:51 pm
Stepping Stone U.

Much like Broyles was well regarded as preparing a coach for the next steps in a coaching career, Bielema is known as a guy that can be poached from. Be it recruits, assistants or quotes to misrepresent.
I concur. Stepping Stone U.
I don't think the majority of the coaches who sign on here are committed for the long run and ready to bail when the first opportunity arises. I really thought Pittman was going to be here for awhile. I understand wanting to be a head coach and progression but leaving for the same position at another school is...................

ricepig

Quote from: kp72204 on February 21, 2016, 07:42:52 pm
I concur. Stepping Stone U.
I don't think the majority of the coaches who sign on here are committed for the long run and ready to bail when the first opportunity arises. I really thought Pittman was going to be here for awhile. I understand wanting to be a head coach and progression but leaving for the same position at another school is...................

We've had several guys stay this year, Smith, Segrest, and Enos, I don't think that's quite "ready to bail", but the game has changed, I don't think you find the Bud Foster's these days.

reddogjcss

We have great asst under Coach B and other teams are going to come after them. Each new hire has proven to be an upgrade and I figure this one will also.
One thing I also think is Coach B is very demanding of Asst, I mean get on band wagon and push hard or jump off! My personal thought.