Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Staff changes under CBB

Started by hogfan870, February 18, 2016, 01:50:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

Help me out, I am going to try and start a list, but know I don't know them all.  I was just interested in this because when he came here he said he wanted more money to keep his staff together.  Anybody that can add years would be appreciated also. 

Offense:
OC: Chaney - Enos
RB: Thomas - Singleton
OL: Pittman - Anderson
WR: Smith
TE: Lunney

Defense:
DC: Ash - Smith
DL: Partridge - Segrest
LB: Shannon - Hargraves
DB: Johnson - Jennings

Is that it?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Offense:
OC: Chaney - Enos
RB: Thomas - Singleton -Mitchell
OL: Pittman - Anderson
WR: McDonald - Smith
TE: Lunney

Defense:
DC: Ash - Smith
DL: Partridge - Segrest
LB: Shannon - Hargraves
DB: Johnson - Jennings

Updated to include everyone hired. Of course McDonald never actually coached a here before being promoted to OC as Cuse

Uncommon

Need to put Mitchell after Singleton

Uncommon

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 18, 2016, 02:00:06 pm
Updated to include everyone hired. Of course McDonald never actually coached a here before being promoted to OC as Cuse
Forgot about that.  Good catch.

hogfan870

Thanks for the help.  Even though that is only 3 years, I think we can count it as 4 - counting next year at this point.  Nonetheless, that is basically averaging an entire staff turnover every two years.  While I definitely think some have been upgrades, that is really way more turnover than I would have expected when he was hired. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 18, 2016, 02:04:06 pm
Thanks for the help.  Even though that is only 3 years, I think we can count it as 4 - counting next year at this point.  Nonetheless, that is basically averaging an entire staff turnover every two years.  While I definitely think some have been upgrades, that is really way more turnover than I would have expected when he was hired.

I heard a stat on the radio this morning that out of 650 or so coaching positions in FBS football, 66% of them have changed jobs in the last four years.  In the SEC it was 72%.  That suggests it's an issue all across college football. 

jusgtohogs

I understand that your point may have not been a complaint but the reality of the situation is that having people looking to hire your assistants is not necessarily a bad thing.  Consider how many assistants HDN lost and that should tell you something.  Naturally, you want to try to replace lost assistants with quality folks and that will result in even more people coming after your coaches.  While I like CMA, the fact that no one is taking a serious look at his assistants should tell us something.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 18, 2016, 02:06:18 pm
I heard a stat on the radio this morning that out of 650 or so coaching positions in FBS football, 66% of them have changed jobs in the last four years.  In the SEC it was 72%.  That suggests it's an issue all across college football. 

but is it an issue that needs to be fixed, or just part of the game?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Nosboar Accubond

That is a telling statistic, it has become "just part of the industry". Notice I did not say game...

EastexHawg

At some point down the road all the pieces of the puzzle will suddenly be put in place and everyone will step back, take one look at the image, and say, "Yeah, I saw it all along."

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 18, 2016, 02:11:12 pm

Part of the increased money, simple as that.

Uncommon

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 18, 2016, 02:16:38 pm
At some point down the road all the pieces of the puzzle will suddenly be put in place and everyone will step back, take one look at the image, and say, "Yeah, I saw it all along."

ricepig

Just like the motorcycle wreck?

Mike_e

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2016, 02:17:36 pm
Part of the increased money, simple as that.

Too many times the only way to get a raise is to switch jobs.

One thing that we might look at here is to seriously increase the bonus structure.  Not a raise per say but top pay for top performances.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mike_e on February 18, 2016, 02:22:38 pm
Too many times the only way to get a raise is to switch jobs.

One thing that we might look at here is to seriously increase the bonus structure.  Not a raise per say but top pay for top performances.
Bonus structures are great, because its not a long term commitment to a higher salary, but if performance measures are met then higher pay is merited. I know HC's have lots of bonus's worked in, but not sure of assistants.  It would definitely be a strategy worth considering.

graduation/academic eligibility

whenever a player is drafted

national awards for players

etc, would be good performance based bonus's for position coaches.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Seems like it's part of the game.  Let that sink in.  72% of SEC coaches have changed jobs in the last four years.  I also heard in the same segment that the only FBS school that kept their entire coaching staff in tact during that time period was Northwestern.

rhames

This happens everywhere.

If your assistants are good they leave for more money or advancement. If they suck they get fired.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jkstock04

I think it's safe to say that position coaches are extremely temporary. At least ours are.

That seems to be the norm across college football I guess. Losing coordinators seems to be more of a hit. At this point...at the conclusion of football season we may as well start speculating which position coaches will be gone as its inevitable it's going to happen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

monty hawg

Here is an article from Coaching Search about Coach B and assistants.  Enos is quoted as saying every offensive coach was approached this year because of the success the offense had.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Bret-Bielema-continues-to-lose-assistant-coaches

scruf

It's pretty normal but it's good ammo for "fans" who never gave the coach a chance to begin with.

hogfan870

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 18, 2016, 02:30:11 pm
Seems like it's part of the game.  Let that sink in.  72% of SEC coaches have changed jobs in the last four years.  I also heard in the same segment that the only FBS school that kept their entire coaching staff in tact during that time period was Northwestern.

Well our contribution to that would be at least 100%.  4 years ago was JLS.  And if they count multiple changes in the same position, we would really be more than 100%. 

Also, I realize that assistant coaches changing is part of the game (or industry) at this point, I just kind of thought with what CBB said when he was hired that we may see less of it here.  I really kind of wonder if he is disappointed about that.  As I recall, he was disappointed about it at WI.

grayhawg

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 18, 2016, 02:43:40 pm
Well our contribution to that would be at least 100%.  4 years ago was JLS.  And if they count multiple changes in the same position, we would really be more than 100%. 

Also, I realize that assistant coaches changing is part of the game (or industry) at this point, I just kind of thought with what CBB said when he was hired that we may see less of it here.  I really kind of wonder if he is disappointed about that.  As I recall, he was disappointed about it at WI.
Well at least we are ahead of Auburn they have had 8 in 2 years, and I only remember one as an upgrade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 18, 2016, 02:43:40 pm

IIRC his thing at WI was that he couldn't keep them because he couldn't afford to pay them enough.  Here, we're losing most people to either better jobs or jobs closer to home.  I think there's a distinction there.  That said, you can tell that some of the changes have stung CBB a bit, so I doubt he's too happy about it.

AirWarren

Saw what? That we are a stepping stone program for coaches to move on to bigger things?

DeltaBoy

We had a good staff and now we have a better one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Piggfoot

Broyles lost assts right and left.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

jgphillips3

Remember when no one wanted our coaches...

rhog1

Quote from: AP85 on February 18, 2016, 03:02:54 pm
Saw what? That we are a stepping stone program for coaches to move on to bigger things?
That's not actually a bad thing though. It also means we are a desirable job for top assistants looking to move up in the coaching world. 

Nashville Fan

Could be worse. He could hire people no one else wanted or didn't have their own opinions. Like TCTWF
Pittman or Bust!

Tim Harris

Personally I wish he would have never made the comment about I kept losing them because I didn't have the money.  Now every time a coach leaves it gets brought up multiple times.  Truth is you are going to lose assistants regardless of what you pay.  People move around and it is just the nature of this business. 

carolinahogger

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 18, 2016, 03:23:49 pm

Right.  Look at the Razorback football staff in 1969.  That list reads like a Who's Who of football over the next 30 years.

You get the best assistants because they see the job as a resume builder.  Assistants move on and are replaced by another up and comer.  Most assistants do not aspire to be career assistants so the nature of the situation is that the best move on.

The alternative is to have a staff like Nutt's.  Nobody wanted them so they stayed put.  So we had stability with our incompetence.

azhog10

At WI he lost assistants for lateral positions with an increase in money. At Ark, for the most part, he's losing them to job promotions, not necessarily money.

Scott7703

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 18, 2016, 03:34:04 pm
Remember when no one wanted our coaches...

Yep, Nutts staff, petrinos staff and our current basketball staff all fall under this umbrella.

Polecat

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 18, 2016, 04:32:08 pm

Yep, Nutts staff, petrinos staff and our current basketball staff all fall under this umbrella.

MSM
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 18, 2016, 03:53:20 pm
Personally I wish he would have never made the comment about I kept losing them because I didn't have the money.  Now every time a coach leaves it gets brought up multiple times.  Truth is you are going to lose assistants regardless of what you pay.  People move around and it is just the nature of this business.

That's not exactly what he fully said IIRC. He included that he was ok with losing coaches to promotions, but didn't want money to be the reason. Pretty much every coach that's left was a promotion or was likely encouraged to move on.  Either a higher up coaching job, or for a more prestigious team.  What he didn't like was going to Alvarez for raises for his guys and hearing no every time.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 18, 2016, 04:32:08 pm

Beat me to it.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Doug

Sometimes, it's not about the money... believe it or not.

I left a job in 2013 to take a 40% pay hit.  The trade off?
* I am far less stressed out than I used to be.
* I love the company I work for
* I get along with my bosses and co-workers exceptionally well
* They've let me define my role into one that benefits both the company and the customers.
* I've learned more in the last year than I did in my previous job (was with them for 8 years)

Sometimes people do move laterally, or they take a lesser job for different reasons.

That being said, it's not uncommon to see assistants changing jobs/employers every 2-3 years. In that industry, that's how you get experience, and to learn different systems (the same is true for Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, etc). It's also the same when you're part of a media relations department, in most cases.

One of my friends has changed jobs 10 times with 5 schools/conferences in the last 20 years. And now, he's in charge of Sports information.

Another one of my friends has only changed jobs only 5 times (one conference, one personal business, three at the same school), so there are some that buck the trend and stay at one place for an extended period of time.

I'm not shocked by the numbers, at all. It's just the nature of the business within Sports.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PorkRinds

Quote from: Doug on February 18, 2016, 06:09:49 pm

* They've let me define my role into one that benefits both the company and the customers.
* I've learned more in the last year than I did in my previous job (was with them for 8 years)

Sometimes people do move laterally, or they take a lesser job for different reasons.

That being said, it's not uncommon to see assistants changing jobs/employers every 2-3 years. In that industry, that's how you get experience, and to learn different systems (the same is true for Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, etc). It's also the same when you're part of a media relations department, in most cases.

One of my friends has changed jobs 10 times with 5 schools/conferences in the last 20 years. And now, he's in charge of Sports information.

Another one of my friends has only changed jobs only 5 times (one conference, one personal business, three at the same school), so there are some that buck the trend and stay at one place for an extended period of time.

I'm not shocked by the numbers, at all. It's just the nature of the business within Sports.

Yep. We just aren't used to it here for the last couple decades.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 18, 2016, 02:04:06 pm

Except since you mention "turnover" then it is not as bad as that. The original hires would not then be considered "turnover" for him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on February 18, 2016, 06:09:49 pm

How people can not understand any of that is beyond belief. IF someone wants to see high turnover try working in the hospitality industry. Hotels and restaurants have SUPER high turnover. Coaching also is a high turnover business.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 18, 2016, 03:23:49 pm

Ironically Bret has a coaching tree connection to Frank..............

jgphillips3

February 18, 2016, 08:51:26 pm #41 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:21:04 am by jgphillips3
In the past three years, we have lost assistants to the NFL, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Purdue, Pitt & Florida Atlantic (promotion head coach).  Think about that.  It's not like we are losing them to Directional schools.  Does the turnover suck a little, yeah, but I feel we have upgraded or held steady on every change so I'm good with it.

factchecker

Article about Coach Bielema's coaching changes with interesting quote from Coach Enos:

QuoteDan Enos: 'Every offensive coach on our staff was approached by other teams' ....

"I had a couple people approach me this offseason, and that's what happens when you have success. I think almost every offensive coach on our staff was approached in some form or fashion this offseason," Enos told SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "It's an honor and pretty nice, but I love it here. I think this is a great place. We have every resource and everything we need to win a championship here." ....

"When someone leaves your staff, this is an opportunity to get your staff better, not stay with the status quo," Enos said. "We hit home runs with both the hires."....

Coaching changes under Bielema over the last 5 years

citation: http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-Bret-Bielema-continues-to-lose-assistant-coaches

Coach Bielema has had less coaching turnover then Charlie and Malzahn the past two years. However he has had 16 changes since 2011.  Coachingsearch.com notes that 10 of 16 Coach Bielema's staff changes have been for promotions; the NFL or increased job titles.

Staff changes @ Auburn under Malzahn

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Graphic-A-look-at-the-Auburn-staff-turnover-under-Gus-Malzahn

Staff changes @ texass under Charlie

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-A-look-at-the-Texas-staff-turnover-under-Charlie-Strong
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jjdlc

College coaching has become a journeyman profession.  Unless you hire coaches from the area they are coaching in, and that have no interest in advancing their career, they are going to change jobs.  We are far from being alone in turnover.  That said, at least people actually want our coaches, instead of us wanting to get rid of them.

JIHawg

What's the point of this thread?  It smells like somebody wanted to make Bielema look bad and got owned.

Jek Tono Porkins

You can't expect a good position coach to stay more than a couple of years unless they have some serious ties to the program and/or to the coach. It's just the nature of the beast. College football simply changes too much. A position coach, for the sake of argument a linebackers coach, could walk into a program with a bunch of junior and senior linebackers and make himself look really good for a year. The next year, he might only have freshmen and sophomores to work with but multiple job offers on the table.

What are you going to do if you're in that position? Are you going to take the hit and stay on another year with worse talent and probably achieve worse results than you did the year before, making you look bad? Or are you going to get out and go to another program even if it's just slightly better? If you have no ties to the area, you just met the head coach a year ago, and you have bigger aspirations than being a linebacker coach, you're buggering out. The way to get a coordinator job is to have multiple successful stints and the best way to do that is to move a lot.

To head the argument off of "there shouldn't be a big talent drop off from year to year", again, it's the nature of the beast. We're not immune to attrition. LSU isn't immune to attrition. Neither is Georgia, Florida, or pretty much any program in college football besides Bama. That's just the breaks.

I think the only reason to ever go into panic mode over assistant coaches is if you have a mass exodus of assistants in a year or if you're constantly changing coordinators. You lose a position coach or two, it's not really that big of a deal. You lose an OC or a DC, it's a much bigger deal.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on February 18, 2016, 10:09:34 pm
What's the point of this thread?  It smells like somebody wanted to make Bielema look bad and got owned.

You tagged it!
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

southeasthog

Quote from: AP85 on February 18, 2016, 03:02:54 pm
Quote from: AP85 on February 17, 2016, 04:39:11 pm
Yup. Sadly, we are a stepping stone to bigger programs.
Quote from: AP85 on February 16, 2016, 06:17:26 pm
We are a stepping stone.
Quote from: AP85 on February 05, 2016, 02:35:36 pm
We are a stepping stone job. Plain and simple.

My goodness. Let us have one intact full season with no coaches leaving, injuries etc. It's getting old!

Your'e like a stinking broken record. We get it. You think we are a second tier program.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jjdlc on February 18, 2016, 09:56:25 pm
College coaching has become a journeyman profession.  Unless you hire coaches from the area they are coaching in, and that have no interest in advancing their career, they are going to change jobs.  We are far from being alone in turnover.  That said, at least people actually want our coaches, instead of us wanting to get rid of them.

Always has been.

1highhog

Just part of the game, you can't fix it, you want people wanting your assistants, shows that you have great assistant Coaches.  When your Head Coach can go out and replace the lost assistant and upgrade which I feel that CBB has done each time, then you have a Head Coach worth keeping.