Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juan Day....

Started by rabidhog, January 22, 2015, 01:56:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rabidhog

where will he be on the depth chart after spring? any word on his health? 100%?

Pudgepork

The last mention I saw said he is healthy.  He won't make any major moves on the depth chart with JWill and ACollins at the top.  I sure hope he is patient because the time working out and learning the playbook can only help after the 2 top runners are gone

onebadrubi

From the bowl practice interviews his health was 100% then.  Hopefully he will be that 3rd back this year and ready to step right in and rock and roll year after.  I'm excited to see him, he was highly touted his junior year behind two nickels, but when he got hurt everyone got soft on him, except for us. 

Tim Harris

Uncommon

Quote from: rabidhog on January 22, 2015, 01:56:37 pm
where will he be on the depth chart after spring? any word on his health? 100%?
3rd, 4th, or 5th

Depends on if Kody Walker moves to fullback full time and if he beats out Denzell Evans.  If both of those happen, he's 3rd.  If one happens, 4th.  If non happen, 5th.

immahog

is day a better back than R williams ?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

onebadrubi

Quote from: immahog on January 22, 2015, 02:03:15 pm

Day will have more experience at this level (albeit only practice), have a little better feel for the speed, been in the weight room longer, and been around Jwill and alex collins who I hope are great leaders at the position.  That being said to say this, I'm not sure it matters who is better, we don't have a number 1 back, we have 1a, 1b, and 1c when Bielema gets what he wants goin. 

Pudgepork

hopefully the Hogs will pull far enough away from a few teams this year that the backs thought to be 3rd an 4th on the depth chart will get on the field.  I think at least 1 will be used anyway to help with experience for year 2016

hollywood hog

Hate to say it but I've always kinda thought our offer to Day was to try and put a wall around NLR.  A strategy that is not working.  It didn't help to flip Tenpenny and obviously things could be going better with KJ.  Would love for Juan to prove me wrong but he has always reminded me of a smaller Broderick Green.  And the one thing BG had going for him was his size. 

Hoggish1

Juan Day is intriguing... It will be a thrill to finally see him carry the rock!

hollywood hog

Different types of backs.  Thunder vs Lightning.  I'm very optimistic about RW3 tho.

Pudgepork

I never saw him play but I remember people saying Day was a fine running back who just happened to be on the same team as a slightly better running back and didn't get the attention

hollywood hog

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 22, 2015, 03:00:11 pm
I never saw him play but I remember people saying Day was a fine running back who just happened to be on the same team as a slightly better running back and didn't get the attention

His numbers were actually better than Tenpenny's IIRC.  Just didn't show off much speed that I could see. 

jcharkansas

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 22, 2015, 02:57:13 pm
Hate to say it but I've always kinda thought our offer to Day was to try and put a wall around NLR.  A strategy that is not working.  It didn't help to flip Tenpenny and obviously things could be going better with KJ.  Would love for Juan to prove me wrong but he has always reminded me of a smaller Broderick Green.  And the one thing BG had going for him was his size.
Unfortunately I thought the same thing, it to me seemed like an attempt to get tencents to flip

onebadrubi

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 22, 2015, 02:57:13 pm

Not trying to fight here but I have issues with what you are saying here.  Many thought that day was on a path to outdo tenpenny in day's senior year.  He got injured and never had that chance.  Bolding gave tenpenny his chances as a senior and was not going to allow day to come steal the day (pun intended).  Day's highlights were to come as a senior once tenpenny moved on.  We offered day because of the junior highlights and potential he showed.  Many would draw the cobbs comparison, even though related. 

jjdlc

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 22, 2015, 03:02:17 pm
His numbers were actually better than Tenpenny's IIRC.  Just didn't show off much speed that I could see.

Day looks to be a bruiser, similar style of runner as JWill. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

I hope we can RS Williams and have a beast of a RB next year. Day paid his dues and got back to 100% let him get his chance behind AC and JW.

1highhog

Anybody remember the measurables on Day?  What was his 40 time if available?

onebadrubi

6-2 210.  working on finding the 40 time

4.56 in the spring of his junior season. 

Source was Wholehogsports, owed as much credit as I can give him as often as I can. 

1highhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 04:53:10 pm

Thanks, that was fast.  And before anyone says it, Google is NOT my friend.

1highhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 04:53:10 pm

He's a bigger dude than I thought he was, more along the height of DMac and speed of Felix.  I wonder if he's a shifty runner or a bulldozer type like Green was.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: 1highhog on January 22, 2015, 04:57:35 pm
He's a bigger dude than I thought he was, more along the height of DMac and speed of Felix.  I wonder if he's a shifty runner or a bulldozer type like Green was.

Pre-injury he was quite physical in his running style. I dunno now.

jgphillips3

He's a power back with just enough speed.  I personally thought he was better than Tenpenny.  He will sure as hell get one yard on 4th and one when you need it and if the backer is out of position he can take it a long way too.  He's just not going to win a flat out foot race but neither does Collins much of the time.  I think he'll be a very good back for us and is definitely a different style back than anyone else we have.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 22, 2015, 07:05:23 pm
He's a power back with just enough speed.  I personally thought he was better than Tenpenny.  He will sure as hell get one yard on 4th and one when you need it and if the backer is out of position he can take it a long way too.  He's just not going to win a flat out foot race but neither does Collins much of the time.  I think he'll be a very good back for us and is definitely a different style back than anyone else we have.

I agree, when they played Jonesboro a couple of years ago with both of them together, Jonesboro shut Tenpenny down, while Day ripped through them.

texhog22

I don't like the comparison to Broderick Green. I always thought he ran soft for a man his size. I just seen to many LB's and even safeties come up and stop him cold one on one. to his credit he picked it up his senior season and ran harder but still not near his potential. I think Kody Walker is a much harder runner than BG

redswarmrising

i think he could be 3rd on the depth chart,unless RWIII comes in and really impresses the coaches but throughout fall practices,the coaches seemed really impressed with JD

Hogg_Phan

January 23, 2015, 05:35:22 am #26 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:08:04 am by Hogg_Phan
Here's a lighter side to the Juan Day question.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=583935.0;topicseen
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

bennyl08

Quote from: jjdlc on January 22, 2015, 03:17:59 pm
Day looks to be a bruiser, similar style of runner as JWill.

Day reminds me more of Michael Bush. JWill's style reminds me of Arian Foster/Knile Davis. Williams isn't as fast as those two, but he's close enough. Speed wise, Davis is to Williams what Williams is to Day. Knile ran a 4.3, Williams seems to run in the 4.5's, and Day's official forty from sparq was in the 4.7's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ShadowTheHedgehog

And slightly off-topic.... anyone know how So. Denzell Evans is doing? Last i heard anything from his was when one of our recruits visiting quoted Evans saying that our coaches are the same on visits and after you commit.

WBC Hog

I expect RW3 to beat out JD. I've heard way too many good things for this guy to not be our 3rd back for next year. I've been wrong before but I'll be very surprised if that's not how it plays out.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WBC Hog on January 23, 2015, 12:40:01 pm
I expect RW3 to beat out JD. I've heard way too many good things for this guy to not be our 3rd back for next year. I've been wrong before but I'll be very surprised if that's not how it plays out.

Having seen neither of them play a single snap?  Sounds legit.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: 1highhog on January 22, 2015, 04:57:35 pm

You're right on about the size of DMAC, but Felix ran a 4.44 or 4.43 at the NFL combine. Day is more of a reported mid 4.5 guy handheld. But that was as a junior and pre injury. So hopefully he has come back truly 100% and gotten faster over the past two years with maturity and training.

WBC Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2015, 12:43:00 pm
Having seen neither of them play a single snap?  Sounds legit.

Don't be so negative. Let me rephrase my
Opinion. JWill and AC are the clear cut top 2 backs
Under this staff. All of the other guys will get plenty of
Chances in mop up duty and a 3rd
Halfback will
Emerge as the leader. No offense to JDay, I hope he will be a
Beast one day. I just don't think he's
Agile enough yet after tearing his ACL.
Good luck to all the guys competing for that 3rd spot on the RB depth chart this year!