Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Way to go Drexel - you really showed Arkansas and the world you belong....

Started by BrotherBerle, March 14, 2007, 09:23:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherBerle

Lost first round of the NIT last night to NC State.  I guess their feelings were still hurt from not getting in the Big Dance.  Waaaagh, waaaaagh.  On a side note, the 'Cuse isn't even #1 seed in the NIT.  What "DISRESPECT" to 5th place team in the Big East.....  For all their b*tching and moaning they're not even considered the next best team outside the NCAA tourney. 

I'll tell you what, the Hogs have really taken the brunt of the "failures" of the selection committee.  It's almost as if Gottlieb, Phelps and Vitale blame US for putting us in. 

The flipside to all this is, we need to win to validate ourselves.  We've opened ourselves wide open to further criticism if we don't show up.  One win will suffice.

GO HOGS

jhudson84

When does Cuse play in the NIT, I hope them and KSU both get spanked

Jim

Quote from: BrotherBerle on March 14, 2007, 09:23:56 am
Lost first round of the NIT last night to NC State.  I guess their feelings were still hurt from not getting in the Big Dance.  Waaaagh, waaaaagh.  On a side note, the 'Cuse isn't even #1 seed in the NIT.  What "DISRESPECT" to 5th place team in the Big East.....  For all their b*tching and moaning they're not even considered the next best team outside the NCAA tourney. 

I'll tell you what, the Hogs have really taken the brunt of the "failures" of the selection committee.  It's almost as if Gottlieb, Phelps and Vitale blame US for putting us in. 

Your last sentence is what absolutely befuddles me in all of this.

It's not like WE woke up Sunday morning and added us to the lucky participants in the 64.  If I'm not mistaken, weren't we chosen by a committee?  Why then are we being castigated more & more for something we're not responsible for?

And while we're handing out "personal responsibility" badges today, shouldn't teams like Drexel & Syracuse be upset at themselves for losing how ever many games they did?  Win the games you're supposed to...win them all is even better...and next year you won't be outside looking in, crying like Charlie 'cause he didn't get a golden ticket.

Just wait & see how we'll get blamed if Duke happens to lose to Va Commonwealth this weekend.  Somehow, someway, the media would find a way to pin it on the Hogs.

zebra

They will just blame it on the disappointment of not going to the NCAA.

newTUfan

Just because Drexel lost doesn't mean that Arkansas deserves to be in.  Obviously Drexel  doesn't deserve it.  Syracuse should have been in over either Arkansas or Illinois.  My only question about a media bias is this:  Why is Arkansas getting all of the greif for getting in while Illinois is in the same position?

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 09:58:19 am
Just because Drexel lost doesn't mean that Arkansas deserves to be in.  Obviously Drexel  doesn't deserve it.  Syracuse should have been in over either Arkansas or Illinois.  My only question about a media bias is this:  Why is Arkansas getting all of the greif for getting in while Illinois is in the same position?

Why should Syracuse be in? The 'Cuse lost AT HOME to Drexler.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

newTUfan

So what?  They beat Georgetown and finished 10-6 in their conference, ahead of two teams that got in.  They should be in. I still haven't heard a good reason why a 7-9 team from the SEC is in.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 10:06:36 am
So what?  They beat Georgetown and finished 10-6 in their conference, ahead of two teams that got in.  They should be in. I still haven't heard a good reason why a 7-9 team from the SEC is in.
Because they beat a 5 seed once, a 6 seed twice in one week (away and neutral)--also giving them their first home conference loss, were runners up in the conference that sent 2 teams to the Final Four last season, and won 5 of our last 6. Also, we had a 6-2 neutral court record (which is perfect justification for NCAAT).
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

newTUfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2007, 10:09:51 am

We met the NCAAT criteria better.  Whether its the best way to do it or not, the committee uses the RPI and SOS in helping to determine the at larges and the Hogs and Illini had far better combos of rpis and sos's than the other at large candidates.  Their gripe should be with Stanford.
The committee does not use RPI as heavily as ESPN would have you think.  If they did then Missouri State would have been in last year with an RPI in the 20s.
Also, last year performance for the conference doesn't count either.  How well has LSU done this year?

Jim Harris

1. because the SEC is the second-highest conference behind the ACC in RPI (meaning 7-9 in a tough conference is better than being fourth in the CAA or 10-6 with an unbalanced schedule in the Big Least).
2. Because Arkansas has two wins in a week over a sixth seed in the tourney.
3. Because Arkansas has a 6-2 neutral court record.
4. Because Arkansas has a win over a fourth-seed in the tourney.
5. Because Arkansas had a 10-rated strength of schedule and 34 RPI, better than the aforementioned teams.
6. Just to piss you off.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

31to6

Not so fast:

Syracuse. 22-10 (69%) RPI: 52 SoS: 46 Top 50: 3 of 9 Top 100: 8 of 15 Worst 2 Losses: 113 & 138 Last 10 Games: 7 of 10
Arkansas. 21-13 (62%) RPI: 38 SoS: 10 Top 50: 5 pf 10 Top 100: 12 of 23 Worst 2 Losses: 111 & 112 Last 10 Games:6 of 10

We played more good teams and won against more good teams. The only thing Syracuse has on is is one extra win against the field and a very slightly better regular-season record.

staffhog

I can't believe you want to toot Syracuse' horn.  Go check their schedule.  Arkansas got out of their nest and played some competition.

newTUfan

The Big East got two teams in that finished with a lower conference seed. 
I am saying that they should have been in over those teams.
Arkansas is a different situation.  They finshed with a sub 500 record while playing in a terrible division, the SEC west.  The only major conference division that is worse is the Big 12 North.

newTUfan

I am not a Syracuse fan.  I am a person who watches at least 15 games a week.  I know who is better than who.  If you want to make this an argument about Ark and the Cuse let's do it.
If Arkansas and Syracuse switched conferences what would happen?
Syracuse would have won the west and Arkansas would still be sub 500 in conference.

31to6

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 10:44:50 am
Arkansas is a different situation.  They finshed with a sub 500 record while playing in a terrible division, the SEC west.  The only major conference division that is worse is the Big 12 North.
So non-conference play means nothing? Neutral court success means nothing. The "terrible" SEC West has an average RPI of 69, the vaunted Big East has an average RPI of 85. Syracuse got to rack up conference wins against such powerhouses as Rutgers (216), Cincinnati (175) and South Florida (194)...

Sounds to me like the Big East was "terrible too".

newTUfan

Exactly right about the Conference RPIs but look closer......
THe west has six teams the big east has 16, 4 of which don't even get to play in their tournament.
Do you really think Arkansas could beat Georgetown, or even compete with Louisville and Pitt?
And don't give me that Ark beat WV.  It was early and WV replaced almost everyone on their team from last year.
The big east isn't terrible, the bottom half is, but so what?
Ark wouldn't have sniffed the finals of the Big East Tournament.

newTUfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2007, 11:09:00 am

But we actually did pretty well vs the supposed weaker SECW:

Bama 2-0
LSU 1-1
Ole Miss 1-1
Ms St 2-1
AU 1-1

That is 7-4 vs the supposed weaker West.

No matter how much you try, you can't make a definitive argument for SU over Arkansas as far as the criteria used by the NCAAT Committee just as you can't argue SU over Illinois. 
Not even common sense?
Common sense says that if you leave off the bottom of the big east (the last four teams) That the Big east is better than the sec.  Quit thinking about this as an Arkansas fan.
Also, when Ark played the better east they got beat most of the time......

hog.goblin

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 10:58:50 am
I am not a Syracuse fan.  I am a person who watches at least 15 games a week.  I know who is better than who.  If you want to make this an argument about Ark and the Cuse let's do it.
Syracuse would have won the west and Arkansas would still be sub 500 in conference.

I think many teams are mistaken about how weak the SEC West was.  It's called parity.  There were no awful teams in the West and they kept beating each other up.  I think Syracuse goes 6-10 in the West playing the Hogs schedule.  Other than the Georgetown win, Syracuse piled up their wins against the bottom of the Big East.  There is no bottom in the SEC.

Everybody dogs LSU (which I certainly don't mind), but as the last place team in the West they had victories over Texas A&M, Florida, and Tennessee.  They lost at Texas by one.  They certainly underachieved, but this conference simply had no bad teams...just young, inconsistent teams.

Anyway, I think Syracuse still deserved to get again.  But the issue I would have is with Illinois or Stanford.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:13:54 am
Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2007, 11:09:00 am

But we actually did pretty well vs the supposed weaker SECW:

Bama 2-0
LSU 1-1
Ole Miss 1-1
Ms St 2-1
AU 1-1

That is 7-4 vs the supposed weaker West.

No matter how much you try, you can't make a definitive argument for SU over Arkansas as far as the criteria used by the NCAAT Committee just as you can't argue SU over Illinois. 
Not even common sense?
Common sense says that if you leave off the bottom of the big east (the last four teams) That the Big east is better than the sec.  Quit thinking about this as an Arkansas fan.

I watch about as much bball as anyone in the normal week and the east coach bias that ESPN shoves down our throats has messed with your mind.  Did Arkansas not go to the defending national champions house and play them to a tie for 35 minutes.  Yes, not only would Arkansas compete right now with the powers in the Big East, they would beat Pitt by 10-20.  Aaron Gray can't even make it up and down the court in the lazy big east, Noah, Davis, Hill and Townes would all take him the hole.
So let's talk about Syracuse for a minute.  How can anyone who refuses to leave the home arena in the nonconference have a gripe about getting passed over.  Guess what, that loss at home to Drexel is not a good loss.
Illinios and Stanford should have been well below Arkansas on the bubble.     

31to6

Not even common sense?
Yes but, saying that the bottom half of the Big East sucks IS a valid rebuttal for the "SU won 10-6 while the Hogs went 7-9". If the Hogs got to play teams like Rutgers and S Florida and count them as conference wins instead of the cupcakes they are, their conference record would be over .500 too. The only truly bad team in the SEC this year was Auburn. Every other team had the same problem as Arkansas: consistency. On a given day, LSU, 'bama and both Mississippi's could get up and play which is why the road was so unfriendly. Even in an "up" year an SEC team is lucky to go .500 on the road against their division rivals.

And yes, I'd say that any team in the SEC W *could* compete in the Big East. Any any of the top 5 would have had winning records in the Big East. The Big East elite *are* good, but the basement is very very bad.

hog.goblin

Not even common sense?

SU got 3 of their wins against the last 4 teams.  How convenient to ignore how weak they are but count the 3 wins.

newTUfan

Did Arkansas not go to the defending national champions house and play them to a tie for 35 minutes.
Only one problem....... games are 40 minutes long.
East coast bias has nothing to do with it.  You guys being homers does.

31to6

newTUfan

hog.goblin

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:25:50 am
Did Arkansas not go to the defending national champions house and play them to a tie for 35 minutes.
Only one problem....... games are 40 minutes long.
East coast bias has nothing to do with it.  You guys being homers does.

Well good, based on your analysis the spanking we took at the championship game is no worse than the close loss at Florida. 

I guess us homers just like to look at all the facts, the results within a game, in addition to the final win/loss, nonconference play, and make an educated decision. 

You like to claim Big East without the bottom 4 is the best and that's reason enough.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:29:40 am
Quote from: wdremington on March 14, 2007, 11:27:13 am
You guys being homers does.
Come back with some facts.
Its not a fact that most of the people on here aren't homers?

I think that it is more of a fact that you have no idea what you are talking so now have decided to trash talk so that your posts do not continue to make you look foolish. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

Now, on Friday night, let's hope the Hogs prove that they belong.

newTUfan

Quote from: dirtydoghog on March 14, 2007, 11:31:45 am

I think that it is more of a fact that you have no idea what you are talking so now have decided to trash talk so that your posts do not continue to make you look foolish. 
I didn't start the trash talking. Try again.
A lot of you guys can't see what I originally said.
Syracuse should be in.....  Arkansas shouldn't......
Two seperate issues.  Syracuse should have been in above one of the teams in their conference that did worse than them.  The Big East doesn't deserve more teams, just different ones.
Arkansas should not be in period.  The SEC only deserves 4 teams.  Another conference should have gotten the bid, maybe KSU.

newTUfan

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:38:29 am
By the way, I will be rooting for the Hogs.

since you're a new TU fan, maybe you should occupy your time on the TU board.
thoughts?

31to6

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:37:45 am
The SEC only deserves 4 teams.  Another conference should have gotten the bid, maybe KSU.

Big-12: Conf. RPI Rank: 7    Conf. SOS Rank: 7
SEC: Conf. RPI Rank: 1    Conf. SOS Rank: 1

K-State. 22-11 (66%) RPI: 58 SoS: 88 Top 50: 2 of 7 Top 100: 5 of 13 Worst 2 Losses: 106 & 173 Last 10 Games: 5 of 10
Arkansas. 21-13 (62%) RPI: 38 SoS: 10 Top 50: 5 pf 10 Top 100: 12 of 23 Worst 2 Losses: 111 & 112 Last 10 Games:6 of 10

Next?

newTUfan

I am going to change my handle because I keep having to explain it.
Here it is again:
I used to teach in Oklahoma and one of my students is the starting tailback there.  When Gus left ARK for them I became a TU fan.

newTUfan

Quote from: wdremington on March 14, 2007, 11:43:16 am
The SEC only deserves 4 teams.  Another conference should have gotten the bid, maybe KSU.

K-State. 22-11 (66%) RPI: 58 SoS: 88 Top 50: 2 of 7 Top 100: 5 of 13 Worst 2 Losses: 106 & 173 Last 10 Games: 5 of 10

Next?
KSU killed Tech.  Tech beat Ark.

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:05:48 am
And don't give me that Ark beat WV.  It was early and WV replaced almost everyone on their team from last year.

Arkansas replaced all its perimeter from last year, and the interior from last year wasn't much to sneeze out. Quit spinning. You're losing.

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:44:35 am

Next?

Tech also beat KSU by 10 at Manhanttan. That counts, I think. Keep it up.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: dirtydoghog on March 14, 2007, 11:31:45 am

I didn't start the trash talking. Try again.
A lot of you guys can't see what I originally said.
Syracuse should be in.....  Arkansas shouldn't......
Two seperate issues.  Syracuse should have been in above one of the teams in their conference that did worse than them.  The Big East doesn't deserve more teams, just different ones.
Arkansas should not be in period.  The SEC only deserves 4 teams.  Another conference should have gotten the bid, maybe KSU.

Why on earth would anyone give the Big 12 more bids than the SEC?  The SEC was the #2 conference in the country this year. 
Arkansas was not in the tourniment a week ago, they did what was asked and PLAYED their way into the dance. 
Now, with all that said.  In no way do I ever expect to have this conversation about Arkansas again.  There is no reason a school like Arkansas should ever need to win 5 in a row to make the dance.  But don't give me that a team like Kstate was more deserving, if anything we created more time for Huggins to hit happyhour.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:44:35 am

Next?

South Carolina beat USC and then Arkansas beat South Carolina by 30, still doesn't mean we should be seeded higher than USC.

Jim Harris

Arkansas got in over Ole Miss and Missistate. Conference seeds are not an issue  with the selection committee. Everybody is an INDEPENDENT in the selection committee's mind (words of every selection committee chairman from the past five years, based on their direct quotes with CBS on Selection Sunday).
Continue on.

newTUfan

I know that I am losing as far as you guys think, but most of the nation agrees..........OUT!
Keep on Smiting......

Jim Harris

Wow. Now we know you have no life. You spend 30 hours a week watching basketball, and fortunately for us you possess the ability to deduce who is stronger than who while you watch varied conferences play basketball.
You should volunteer your services to the NCAA Selection Committee; they always need runners and other help in the room during the selection weekend. ;D

newTUfan

Quote from: drakehog on March 14, 2007, 11:48:06 am

Arkansas got in over Ole Miss and Missistate. Conference seeds are not an issue  with the selection committee. Everybody is an INDEPENDENT in the selection committee's mind (words of every selection committee chairman from the past five years, based on their direct quotes with CBS on Selection Sunday).
Continue on.
Anyone think they tell the truth?  Me neither.
Read the Feinstein (sp) book about the 05 tournament.  Of course they look at conferences, of course they lie about it. Wake up.

U.P. HOGG

Continue on.

Got to play the big teams sooner or later.  Lets get on a roll now over some big name teams.  Wouldn't it be great to beat Texas to get to the Sweet Sixteen

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:52:04 am

Continue on.
Read the Feinstein (sp) book about the 05 tournament.  Of course they look at conferences, of course they lie about it. Wake up.

Obviously you don't know Feinstein personally and what he's about or you wouldn't have wasted the little time you have left after watching all that basketball to read him.

newTUfan

Quote from: drakehog on March 14, 2007, 11:51:47 am

Wow. Now we know you have no life. You spend 30 hours a week watching basketball, and fortunately for us you possess the ability to deduce who is stronger than who while you watch varied conferences play basketball.
You should volunteer your services to the NCAA Selection Committee; they always need runners and other help in the room during the selection weekend. ;D
Nice personal insult.
I won't go there.
I CAN have a debate without letting things get personal.
And yeah I do watch a lot of games.  So what?  I like to stay up late and watch the west coast games.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:54:28 am

Nice personal insult.
I won't go there.
And yeah I do watch a lot of games.  So what?  I like to stay up late and watch the west coast games.

When I stay up late, I watch Cinemax, ya know.  :)

How did the Cuse' do over the last 8 games?  How did they do in the conference tourney?  Who did they beat?  What was their RPI?  What was the SOS?  How was the neutral court record for th Cuse'?

Jim Harris

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:49:40 am
I know that I am losing as far as you guys think, but most of the nation agrees..........OUT!
Keep on Smiting......

You've polled the nation on this? great.

It doesn't matter what the nation thinks. It only matters what 10 men in a room thought this past weekend. We're in, as is Stanford, Illinois, Old Dominion; Cuse, KSU and Drexel are not. Live with it. I know it's difficult for you, but you're shortening your life and certainly wasting precious time worrying about it. Root for TU to make it.

newTUfan

Quote from: drakehog on March 14, 2007, 11:53:13 am
Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:52:04 am

Continue on.

Obviously you don't know Feinstein personally and what he's about or you wouldn't have wasted the little time you have left after watching all that basketball to read him.
He is a great author.  Read "The Last Amatuers"  its one of the best books on sports.
Again, I will NOT get personal with you, as you are with me.

Jim Harris

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on March 14, 2007, 11:55:23 am
Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:54:28 am

Nice personal insult.
I won't go there.

When I stay up late, I watch Cinemax, ya know.  ;)

Me too. I find that "Bedroom Stories" has a lot more excitement than Pepperdine vs. Santa Clara.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: newTUfan on March 14, 2007, 11:49:40 am
Keep on Smiting......

I just put a thread up on why the National Media are morons.  Check it out.  Here ya go.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=123119.0

HogFan514

newTUfan just stop posting before you make yourself look like MORE of a fool