Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Stadium-Expansion Survey Points to End of Era in Razorback Football

Started by Robert Shields, June 03, 2013, 11:02:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: Robert Shields on June 04, 2013, 10:41:32 am
I love NWA.  I even wrote a column about it.

I love NWA

Went back and read this since you linked it. Wonderful remembrance of your time at UA.

Wonder what the students of today will remember. Maybe it is the time they got a great new app in the app store.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 05, 2013, 01:22:18 pm
Even on semi-rainy days, how many of us would round up our buddies and get a game of yardball going just because you couldn't stand to watch 75% of the games that were televised?  Ha.  Hate to say it, but thank goodness for ESPN.

Semi rainy days?  You kiddin' me...I'd skip a game I cared about to play outside in the rain! No lightning...game on for anything outside.  ;)

How about how etched in your brain it was to hear Keith Jackson's voice saying something like, "We join you here on a brisk morning at vaunted Notre Dame stadium for an epic tussle between the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, and the mighty Michigan Wolveriiiines."  It seemed like they played each other three times a year back then. 

It seemed like every week it was ND and somebody, OSU and somebody, or USC and somebody.  Then if it wasn't them, it was Texas and somebody, and that somebody was usually us once a year, which was at least one of the two appearances we had, if we were lucky to have two, and....we usually got Longhorn'd.   >:(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

TOM "tbw1"

Do you remember 1968 when we had Texas, SMU, and A&M all on TV? 

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 05, 2013, 02:56:38 pm
Semi rainy days?  You kiddin' me...I'd skip a game I cared about to play outside in the rain! No lightning...game on for anything outside.  ;)

How about how etched in your brain it was to hear Keith Jackson's voice saying something like, "We join you here on a brisk morning at vaunted Notre Dame stadium for an epic tussle between the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, and the mighty Michigan Wolveriiiines."  It seemed like they played each other three times a year back then. 

It seemed like every week it was ND and somebody, OSU and somebody, or USC and somebody.  Then if it wasn't them, it was Texas and somebody, and that somebody was usually us once a year, which was at least one of the two appearances we had, if we were lucky to have two, and....we usually got Longhorn'd.   >:(
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 05, 2013, 02:56:38 pm

:)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on June 05, 2013, 12:15:22 pm
We can ultimately agree to disagree. I don't want to overstep here, but your post is not responsive to mine.

I think you were referring to DWRRS not being full and I pointed out that WMS isn't always full. I believe I did respond to that. I also added a few things.

P.S. I bet most students come for the towns in NWA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 05, 2013, 11:24:03 am
It matters.  Polls show that it even affect whether or not people take vacations.  People view that as an added expense, and it's one of the first things that people think of when considering an extended trip.  I'm not saying it's right to evaluate it that way, but people absolutely take that into consideration.

It's the fact that it does affect everything that is pinching some people's budgets.  For some, the total cost of fuel is more than the cost of tickets depending on how far they are coming from.  I'm out $100.00 in fuel for a trip to and from LR, with just a little running around in LR once I get there, in the vehicle I use for work.   

I agree high prices affect people's travels. I know because my industry is affected by travel both business and leisure. However right now the prices are relatively NOT that high. As others have mentioned in this thread and in the past not all people got to games but they are still fans. If you can afford to go and want to then do so. If not then watch on T. Either way is still a fan. I know a lot of people that are fans and have never been or raely go to games and they love the Hogs just like I do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on June 05, 2013, 12:27:34 pm
But the WMS backers always bring up the " If they can't go to games in LR, people just wont be fans " argument. I have never bought that line, and never will.  I was a Braves fan for 21 years before I finally got to go see them play. My oldest son is, for some reason, a Philly Eagles fan even though he has never been within 500 miles of Philly.

Things not really related to football or to being a fan will drive people to either attend or not, usually those things are money and time.

Good post. Heck I'm named after two St. Louis Cardinal baseball players and I went to my first games there only last year! Wish I would have done it sooner but for different reasons couldn't or just simply didn't. My first major league game was at Baltimore at the old stadium. My son likes baseball but not football (I don't know how that happened) and lives less than an hour from the new ballpark at San Francisco and has ONLY been to a couple of games there because of the Giants playing his favorite team the Red Sox. He won't go any other time. He WILL and does make a yearly trip or two to Boston to see the Red Sox at Fenway. Oh well to each his own.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on June 05, 2013, 03:31:12 pm
Do you remember 1968 when we had Texas, SMU, and A&M all on TV?

I can't go back that far with you Tom.  Born just barely into 1969.   ;)

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 05, 2013, 12:52:05 pm
"The SWC on Raycom"....TCU vs. Rice....the ultimate football network.

Ohhh, I don't know.  The original Jefferson Pilot games and the 3 Daves might have something to say about that. 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 05, 2013, 09:09:57 pm
I can't go back that far with you Tom.  Born just barely into 1969.   ;)

No problem, things are really good here at the home.  The nurse is bring gruel as we speak,
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 05, 2013, 05:15:02 pm
Good post. Heck I'm named after two St. Louis Cardinal baseball players and I went to my first games there only last year! Wish I would have done it sooner but for different reasons couldn't or just simply didn't. My first major league game was at Baltimore at the old stadium. My son likes baseball but not football (I don't know how that happened) and lives less than an hour from the new ballpark at San Francisco and has ONLY been to a couple of games there because of the Giants playing his favorite team the Red Sox. He won't go any other time. He WILL and does make a yearly trip or two to Boston to see the Red Sox at Fenway. Oh well to each his own.

Sounds a little like me.  I grew up a Yankees fan and still am -- I wasn't a bandwagoner, they were terrible in the early 1990s when I started rooting for them -- and I've never been to new or old Yankee Stadium.  My wife loves NYC, and I've promised her we'll go back soon, mostly because I want to take our toddler to a Yankees game, which would be a first for both of us.  I've been to two Cardinals games, one of which when I was 7, and just never could become a fan.