Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Shields - I love Northwest Arkansas

Started by Robert Shields, January 26, 2012, 10:45:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

January 26, 2012, 10:45:36 am Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:48:04 am by Robert Shields
This was a column from a few years ago.  I don't want anyone to misconstrue my opinion of wanting games in Little Rock to infer that I don't like Northwest Arkansas.  I love Northwest Arkansas and completely understand why people move there.

I Heart NWA

Robert Shields

What I liked about northwest Arkansas while I was in college? Just about everything. The weather was milder than what I grew up with in Central Arkansas. I enjoyed going to Lake Weddington, fishing on the White River, climbing in the caves at Devil's Den, finding the train tunnel at Winslow, recreating the battle at Pea Ridge after a few cocktails only to be followed by same stunt at Prairie Grove, and hunting down at the end of Betty Joe Drive.

Even though it was not in Arkansas, I enjoyed going over to Tahlequah and floating the Illinois River. One time it was even way above flood stage and I almost drowned. I know some of you are wishing that I was a bad swimmer.

I enjoyed going up to school early -- sometimes almost a month before classes started -- and that was about the same time the football team arrived. I enjoyed the late night runs from Humphreys Hall. (On a side note I want to apologize to the fourth floor girls for the missing Christmas tree and the ninth floor girls for the broken ironing board.)

I enjoyed the keg parties in my room and Joe Johnson, the running back version from Tyler, Texas, verbally committing in my room. It was great having the Razorback football players in the dorm that semester. Tony Cherico lived above me (on a side note, what was he doing up there, bowling?), across the hall were Bono Yarbrough and Casey Keuttle, and down the hall Curtis Steggars and David Dudley. And it was always fun when Charles Washington and Donnie Centers showed up on the floor. (On a side note, it is impossible for Houston Nutt to keep up with his players based on my experience living in the same place with several football players.)

It was fun that everyone up there had a nickname -- Big E, Mr. Fun, Yassir, Gandhi, Dangle Monster, Puffer Fish, Slurp, and Holiday. Or, if they did not have a nickname they pretty much just went by their last name, like Tabor.

And oh the pranks, from shaving cream hand grenades to setting off fire crackers with timers, taking someone's towel while they are in the shower, to pennying someone's door. These days if you put bats in someone's room, the police get involved and charges are brought. But back in the day, the proper response would have been to put a cougar in their room, or at least that is what Mr. Fun would have done.

It was wild and fun running in the labyrinth of tunnels with walls lined with steam pipes and conduits, which connected buildings and ran everywhere below campus. I am sure by now that they are inaccessible and probably would land you in prison if caught.

The late night romps in front of Old Main to play football in the snow and later getting a microwave burrito at 7-11 will be unforgettable. I miss the pep rallies at the Chi Omega theater and lurking around the cross walk by the Communications Building that later became Kimpel Hall. There was the fun of hearing Lou Holtz or Ken Hatfield give their fire and brimstone speeches and the excitement of staying up all night studying with a girl that you liked even though I already knew the material.

The good times at the Rink, Bottoms Up, My Pleasure, River City, Maxine's, Hugo's, Old Post Office, Norma Jean's that became Doc Murdoch's, the Gas Light that became the Gazebo that became the Oasis that became Hollywood's (where William Mills met his demise) and eventually became Mardi Gras. I have not looked lately, but I am sure it's something now more suitable to the new upscale of the area. And, of course, there was hopping on the Night Train that somebody brought a case of from Iowa at College Park apartments.

There was the joy of the 1981 Texas game, and I don't even mind now reminiscing about the horrible feeling after the 1985 and 1989 Texas games. (On a side note, after the 1985 game I spent a day or so kicking field goals at Razorback Stadium from the 20-yard line in the dark, a memory I will cherish forever.) I guess the younger kids will talk about the 2004 Texas game while the older ones will talk about the 1969 Texas game. All of them are etched in our hearts.

It was great seeing Frank Broyles on campus. He would always take time to talk to you if you reached out to him. His great Southern charm was good to hear.

I won't forget the cold Sunday morning scrambling to get in line for basketball tickets when the place of sale was announced on the radio. Back then basketball was so popular that the site was kept secret until the day of sale. The price of being scalped for the UNLV ticket in Barnhill Arena in 1991 was well worth it, also.

I also miss the professors such as Dr. Belzung who taught economics and how at least back then when things were not so politically correct it was OK to offend the females explaining the Laffer Curve. Or maybe back then they were not offended and laughed with everyone else.

I cherished all those moments in Fayetteville and northwest Arkansas and often considered it home.

Send your good memories to fromthebench@yahoo.com

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 26, 2012, 10:45:36 am
It was great seeing Frank Broyles on campus. He would always take time to talk to you if you reached out to him. His great Southern charm was good to hear.

This is true.  My dad loves to tell the story of when he was a law student in 1977 and missed the deadline for student tickets.  He decided to throw a Hail Mary and request a meeting with Coach Broyles, though he was sure it'd be declined and he'd be laughed out of the coaching offices.  Much to my dad's surprise, Broyles secretary led him into his office where Broyles graciously took the time to meet with him.  Even though Broyles told my dad there was nothing he could do since he'd missed the deadline, he was very charming and my dad has never forgotten it.  He loves to talk about the time that Frank Broyles took time out of his schedule to meet with a procrastinating law student about season tickets. 

Hawg Balling

Quote from: josh_sec33 on January 26, 2012, 11:01:03 am
It worries me that you enjoyed Bottoms Up. Every story that I have ever heard about that place makes me shudder.

The fact that Shields enjoyed Bottoms Up proves that he's a legit U of A grad.  Right there with ya RS ;)

younghog

GO HOGS

ChemEHawg

Here's to bottoms up, your own cooler and bad swimmers....  ;D

That's a really cool story about Coach Broyles. CBP would eat your soul for interrupting his strategy planning for crushing LSU.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

DrSwineESQ

I wouldn't let Ironhog read this; he'll revoke your membership.

The Marmot

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!

So transparent, and sad.

The fact that you have to pen this screed about your 'love' of NWA tells all.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

RedSoxFan

previous story? more like after you smite count went up 10 fold in the last 2 columns, you felt the need to redeem yourself.

another GSD in 5.. 4.. 3... 2... 1...

LGHOG

Robert...This is probably the best writing you have done. It's from your heart. I connected HUGE with this. Thank you for reposting this. VERY good Robert.

Hog1952

OptimusHog

Aston Martin 8 dude

This was a column from a few years ago.  I don't want anyone to misconstrue my opinion of wanting games in Little Rock to infer that I don't like Northwest Arkansas.  I love Northwest Arkansas and completely understand why people move there.

I Heart NWA

Robert Shields

What I liked about northwest Arkansas while I was in college? Just about everything. The weather was milder than what I grew up with in Central Arkansas. I enjoyed going to Lake Weddington, fishing on the White River, climbing in the caves at Devil's Den, finding the train tunnel at Winslow, recreating the battle at Pea Ridge after a few cocktails only to be followed by same stunt at Prairie Grove, and hunting down at the end of Betty Joe Drive.

Even though it was not in Arkansas, I enjoyed going over to Tahlequah and floating the Illinois River. One time it was even way above flood stage and I almost drowned. I know some of you are wishing that I was a bad swimmer.

I enjoyed going up to school early -- sometimes almost a month before classes started -- and that was about the same time the football team arrived. I enjoyed the late night runs from Humphreys Hall. (On a side note I want to apologize to the fourth floor girls for the missing Christmas tree and the ninth floor girls for the broken ironing board.)

I enjoyed the keg parties in my room and Joe Johnson, the running back version from Tyler, Texas, verbally committing in my room. It was great having the Razorback football players in the dorm that semester. Tony Cherico lived above me (on a side note, what was he doing up there, bowling?), across the hall were Bono Yarbrough and Casey Keuttle, and down the hall Curtis Steggars and David Dudley. And it was always fun when Charles Washington and Donnie Centers showed up on the floor. (On a side note, it is impossible for Houston Nutt to keep up with his players based on my experience living in the same place with several football players.)

It was fun that everyone up there had a nickname -- Big E, Mr. Fun, Yassir, Gandhi, Dangle Monster, Puffer Fish, Slurp, and Holiday. Or, if they did not have a nickname they pretty much just went by their last name, like Tabor.

And oh the pranks, from shaving cream hand grenades to setting off fire crackers with timers, taking someone's towel while they are in the shower, to pennying someone's door. These days if you put bats in someone's room, the police get involved and charges are brought. But back in the day, the proper response would have been to put a cougar in their room, or at least that is what Mr. Fun would have done.

It was wild and fun running in the labyrinth of tunnels with walls lined with steam pipes and conduits, which connected buildings and ran everywhere below campus. I am sure by now that they are inaccessible and probably would land you in prison if caught.

The late night romps in front of Old Main to play football in the snow and later getting a microwave burrito at 7-11 will be unforgettable. I miss the pep rallies at the Chi Omega theater and lurking around the cross walk by the Communications Building that later became Kimpel Hall. There was the fun of hearing Lou Holtz or Ken Hatfield give their fire and brimstone speeches and the excitement of staying up all night studying with a girl that you liked even though I already knew the material.

The good times at the Rink, Bottoms Up, My Pleasure, River City, Maxine's, Hugo's, Old Post Office, Norma Jean's that became Doc Murdoch's, the Gas Light that became the Gazebo that became the Oasis that became Hollywood's (where William Mills met his demise) and eventually became Mardi Gras. I have not looked lately, but I am sure it's something now more suitable to the new upscale of the area. And, of course, there was hopping on the Night Train that somebody brought a case of from Iowa at College Park apartments.

There was the joy of the 1981 Texas game, and I don't even mind now reminiscing about the horrible feeling after the 1985 and 1989 Texas games. (On a side note, after the 1985 game I spent a day or so kicking field goals at Razorback Stadium from the 20-yard line in the dark, a memory I will cherish forever.) I guess the younger kids will talk about the 2004 Texas game while the older ones will talk about the 1969 Texas game. All of them are etched in our hearts.

I won't forget the cold Sunday morning scrambling to get in line for basketball tickets when the place of sale was announced on the radio. Back then basketball was so popular that the site was kept secret until the day of sale. The price of being scalped for the UNLV ticket in Barnhill Arena in 1991 was well worth it, also.

I also miss the professors such as Dr. Belzung who taught economics and how at least back then when things were not so politically correct it was OK to offend the females explaining the Laffer Curve. Or maybe back then they were not offended and laughed with everyone else.

I cherished all those moments in Fayetteville and northwest Arkansas and often considered it home.

What's NOT to like about NWA? That's like saying I love heaven!

Robert Shields

VBMark

I Heart NWA

Robert Shields

Robert, so then you know why the folks in NWA deserve all the home football games.

Doh! Yes, I went there...sorry, it was too easy. :D

It was time for a GSD hijacked thread.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

little pigee

I'll bet you think we would have won ALL of these had they been played in WMS!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Dallas Razorback

I'm new to the boards, but does Robert Shields ever write anything less than 4 pages?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on January 26, 2012, 01:25:43 pm
What's NOT to like about NWA? That's like saying I love heaven!

Too many Yankee Transplants!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ChemEHawg on January 26, 2012, 11:14:54 am
Here's to bottoms up, your own cooler and bad swimmers....  ;D

That's a really cool story about Coach Broyles. CBP would eat your soul for interrupting his strategy planning for crushing LSU.
well, in Broyles defense, he wasn't coach at that time, that would have been Holtz eating your soul.

PP

County kid

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 26, 2012, 02:25:48 pm

Every growing area is gonna have Yankee transplants. I take it your from east Arkansas. So are you saying you would rather live in the DELTA rather than nwa just cuz of some squareheads that moved here? Don't get me wrong, I like the delta for its duck hunting, buy would NEVER live over there!
1981- a razorback is born
1988- my first game
1994- greatest sports moment(arkansas 76 duke 72)
1998- worst sports moment(Stoener stumble)
2012- bobby Petrino firing

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: County kid on January 26, 2012, 02:58:53 pm
Every growing area is gonna have Yankee transplants. I take it your from east Arkansas. So are you saying you would rather live in the DELTA rather than nwa just cuz of some squareheads that moved here? Don't get me wrong, I like the delta for its duck hunting, buy would NEVER live over there!
desolate and flat....with too much wind

PP

NWASooner

Robert Shields

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 26, 2012, 02:52:29 pm
You admit to Bottom's Up, but fail to mention Roger's Rec!?!

Roger's Rec and Maxines both should have been mentioned.

ADinWaiting

Quote from: Dallas Razorback on January 26, 2012, 02:11:16 pm
I'm new to the boards, but does Robert Shields ever write anything less than 4 pages?
No, he is a "featured" columnist.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

bphi11ips

Great post, Rob.  Hogville reminds me more and more of CNN vs. Fox. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Robert Shields

Quote from: LGHOG on January 26, 2012, 11:32:56 am
Robert...This is probably the best writing you have done. It's from your heart. I connected HUGE with this. Thank you for reposting this. VERY good Robert.

It was from the heart.  It's more of a prose form as though I am telling a story.  The more technical opinion writing of my column is different.  You can download for free a short story of mine at the iBookstore - An Unwanted Freedom .  It's very short.  It will take all of about five minutes.

Wild Bill Hog

ADinWaiting

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 26, 2012, 08:29:57 pm
Doesn't want to work for Walmart is my guess.
Hey! Don't leave Tyson and JB Hunt in the dust!
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NWASooner on January 26, 2012, 06:16:39 pm
Where's the "I love Little Rock" thread?

There was one before. It had one post.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

XX

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 26, 2012, 02:52:29 pm
You admit to Bottom's Up, but fail to mention Roger's Rec!?!

Ahh...yes, my favorite place to buy beer when I was a teenager.

+1 for the memories.....
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

wmr

Why should anybody give a damn what Robert Shields thinks of Northwest Arkansas?

ADinWaiting

Quote from: wmr on January 26, 2012, 08:55:57 pm
Why should anybody give a damn what Robert Shields thinks of Northwest Arkansas?
They should not.

SamBuckhart

January 26, 2012, 09:05:54 pm #31 Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:13:10 pm by SamBuckheart
The Library. And two drive-in movies.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: wmr on January 26, 2012, 08:55:57 pm

Because there's not really anything going on in sports right now.  Don't even have a BB game.  Gotta do something to pass the time, and Robert is helping do that.  Relax and drink another beer.  It's all good.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: oppybrit on January 26, 2012, 09:45:02 pm
37 replies ,and no one has asked........Who is Robert Shields?

Dude is on a roll starting threads that go for several pages.  I'm not sure that's a valid question to ask any more.

uncle bubs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 26, 2012, 02:25:48 pm
That just depends on where your at in NWA. There's just as many homegrown Arkansans in the Ozarks, folks just tend to focus on all the WalMart out-of-staters, which don't even typically come into the lower parts (Springdale/ Fayetteville). You have 4 boom towns, then a ton of little towns tucked away. The little towns are what make NWA great. Folks up there are just as proud to be from Arkansas as anybody else is from our great state.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

younghog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 26, 2012, 09:50:51 pm
Dude is on a roll starting threads that go for several pages.  I'm not sure that's a valid question to ask any more.

Almost spilled my tea lol... Scenes of the Jetta commercial. Let's go to Vegas
GO HOGS

hogfan74

Dangle monster?  Somebody stole my nickname!

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

YepItsMe

Oh nice of you to all of a sudden change a heart of don't attack me for NWA I actually like it.  whatever!  dude I'll see you in Arizona Bay...maybe

piggly wiggly

Joe Johnson was actually from Longview, Tx.  Just saying.

MuskogeeHogFan

I Heart NWA

Robert Shields

How predictable.
Go Hogs Go!

Duvall Falls Hog

Nothing beats a good smoked brisket during the winter.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: County kid on January 26, 2012, 02:58:53 pm

IT a great place to live if you like a quiet country life.   Going to College at UALR ruined me! I love visiting the Delta and I even vacation in the Delta but I can not move back it is too slow for me nowdays.   NWA is not as nice today as it was in the Early 1990's, Too much No abla english.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hooch

I LOVE LAMP!

Im not reading this whole thread but if it made it this far without that comment I am dissapoint.

josh_sec33

I was about to come make that comment.

Darn it.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

ADinWaiting

No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

hogslobber

Quote from: piggly wiggly on January 27, 2012, 06:01:34 am
Joe Johnson was actually from Longview, Tx.  Just saying.

" Just saying."

I see this all the time.

What does this mean ?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: NolanForAD on January 27, 2012, 04:39:15 pm
Drink up and get the Hell outta here!

Really, I miss my youth and college years..........it was so simple then. Go to class, drunk on weekends, chase girls, work a part-time gig then call home asking Dad and Mom to send me up some more money! Going to OK to Buy Coors.

Hell, somebody tell me why I wanted to grow up an be a adult again?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Jack The BN

I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Jack The BN on January 27, 2012, 05:28:40 pm
Who is Robert Shields?

He's become the starter of multi-page threads.  I'm still amazed.