Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zhaire Smith

Started by skinnypig, March 06, 2017, 06:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypig

Looking like Smith will soon be added to the 2017 class. Visited Saturday offered Sunday. 100% Arkansas on 247 Chrystal Ball

The_Iceman

A lot of good information on smith starting here in this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=627625.msg10731055#msg10731055

A lot there so it was hard to repost here. I'm glad you started his own thread because there is a lot of activity right now with him.

Razorod

Would be a very good get. Might shift the emphasis a bit in the 2018 class with regard to the remaining slots.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorod on March 06, 2017, 07:21:48 am
Would be a very good get. Might shift the emphasis a bit in the 2018 class with regard to the remaining slots.

Yeah, I wonder if this shifts the staff away from Rod Brown. I really wanted that kid.

Hawg Red

BTW, I used 247's class calculator and adding Smith to the 2017 class would rank Arkansas #14 in the country. That is, of course, not accounting for any late movement from other schools. He's the composite #138 player on their site, though they have him ranked #198 currently. He does not appear to be ranked too highly on the other services, so I do not know what has him ranked so high on the composite. He doesn't even have a profile on ESPN.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2017, 07:23:51 am
Yeah, I wonder if this shifts the staff away from Rod Brown. I really wanted that kid.

It seems to me like Mike may be going in a direction where his lineup consists of two combo guards, two combo forwards, and a tall shot blocking/rebounding big man inside. Defensively, that gives him the length to play both man and zone, as well as be a bigger front line team for rebounding, without sacrificing too.much offense.

Dominicanhog

would think we'll need another big for the 2019 season ... can't expect Gafford to be there much past then, 2020 at most, if he's as good as advertised... can we gamble and wait until 2020 or do we get a big next year?  the 2019 slots look filled as of now...

hogwood

So if we got Brown in 18 and Smith now. We'd basically have 3 positions on this team. This is good for the zone we're playing.

Bigs

Gafford
Perry

(Only 2 - could use another)

Forwards

Brown
Smith
Hall
Bailey
Henderson
Hazen

Guards

Embery/Wright in 18
Sills
Joe
Jones
Garland
Smith (guard or forward)

Would definitely love to have at least 3 real bigs for this system to work.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 06, 2017, 08:18:34 am
would think we'll need another big for the 2019 season ... can't expect Gafford to be there much past then, 2020 at most, if he's as good as advertised... can we gamble and wait until 2020 or do we get a big next year?  the 2019 slots look filled as of now...

I think we need a big right now, honestly. I'm guessing they aren't really digging what's out there, so they're targeting Smith. I'd rather them sign Smith, shift away from players like Moss or Embery, and still sign Rod Brown. Still leaves a spot to go after a big in 2018. Still don't have that true PG but we don't have one this year, either, and we ended up okay (through the regular season).

Hawg Red

To start 2018-2019:

Guards: Khalil Garland, C.J. Jones, Desi Sills, Isaiah Joe, R.J. Glasper (walk-on)

Wings: Darious Hall, Zhaire Smith, Rodgerick Brown

Forwards: Reggie Perry, Adrio Bailey, Ethan Henderson, Brachen Hazen

Center: Dan Gafford, (need another big)

I would still sign Rod Brown for 2018 and drop the pursuit of players like T.J. Moss or Embery and go after a big man. There's a positional versatility on the roster above but lacking true interior depth. We could play players like Henderson behind Gafford, but it would make sense to have a big man in the program in case Gafford bounces early.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on March 06, 2017, 08:24:46 am
So if we got Brown in 18 and Smith now. We'd basically have 3 positions on this team. This is good for the zone we're playing.

Bigs

Gafford
Perry

(Only 2 - could use another)

Forwards

Brown
Smith
Hall
Bailey
Henderson
Hazen

Guards

Embery/Wright in 18
Sills
Joe
Jones
Garland
Smith (guard or forward)

Would definitely love to have at least 3 real bigs for this system to work.

I would switch Henderson and Perry in your groupings, but other than that, good breakdown.

Henderson is more explosive and better defensively than Perry...more capable of defending the 5. Think of Jordan Mickey at LSU from a couple years back who was only 6'8" but played the 5 for them.

Perry is more of a skilled forward. Can shoot from outside and handle the basketball at 6'9". He can play all over the court offensively.

https://youtu.be/hbXtnnnVkDc

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 08:53:21 am
I would switch Henderson and Perry in your groupings, but other than that, good breakdown.

Henderson is more explosive and better defensively than Perry...more capable of defending the 5. Think of Jordan Mickey at LSU from a couple years back who was only 6'8" but played the 5 for them.

Perry is more of a skilled forward. Can shoot from outside and handle the basketball at 6'9". He can play all over the court offensively.

https://youtu.be/hbXtnnnVkDc

I think you got the 2 guys mixed up. Perry is the more combo forward who can score from inside and outside as well as handle the ball. Henderson is the more athletic, explosive, defensive guru.

Hollywood870

When is the next signing period for 2017 kids?

Hawg Red

navyhog24

It begins April 12 and ends May 17.

Hollywood870

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 06, 2017, 11:46:50 am
I think you got the 2 guys mixed up. Perry is the more combo forward who can score from inside and outside as well as handle the ball. Henderson is the more athletic, explosive, defensive guru.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Kevin McPherson

I've been talking with Zhaire for a couple of weeks now, and he's a very nice young man but does not indicate that he favors the Hogs or any other team at the moment, although I believe Arkansas is the leader based on Scotty Thurman's relationship with his Dad and uncle.

Having said that, it was thought the Hogs needed either a big or PG with that last 2017 scholarship, and with 2 guys (Garland and Hall) that have similar size, athleticism, and attributes as Smith, this offer brings to mind some questions that are speculative, sure, but still valid questions and observations ...

1. Are the other 2017 signees all going to qualify? I've asked, and I'm told everything is good there. I guess we'll know w/100% certainty once they all make it to campus this summer.

2. Are any current players transferring? IMO, this is a possibility but not a given. I can see more reasons for 1 freshman to leave than the other 2, but all 3 have seen limited playing time so who knows. Rumors that Barford or Macon might leave early, but I've also been told that's not going to happen. Whatever, if the Hogs lose someone to transfer or early departure, then 2 scholarships are open which means adding Smith along w/a big or PG could still be in play.

3. With ZERO wing players the past 2 seasons, has Arkansas decided to take "best available" remaining player and show up next season w/3 guys in the 6-5 / 6-6 range who are athletic, have length, and are predominantly all slashers (not shooters)? And if that's the case, does that mean Rodgerick Brown is off the table in the 2018 class? Maybe the Hogs look to add a big in that class instead of a wing if they are able to sign Smith to round out '17 ... that would make sense. Adrio Bailey is NOT a Qualls, IMO, but more of an Alandise Harris or Jacorey Williams -- in other words, not a 3 but an under-sized 4. Maybe Hogs see Garland as more a combo guard and want to add Smith with Hall for depth at SF/wing -- guys who can attack the glass & rim like a forward while being able to defend guards. If that's the case, then SF/wing is still a position of need just like another big or a PG.

4. Going hand-in-hand with No. 3, did Daniel Gafford show the kind of development and improvement in his senior HS season -- coupled with the emergence of Trey Thompson and even guys like Dustin Thomas, Arlando Cook, and Adrio Bailey playing better late -- that the need for a big man NEXT year was not as great as it seemed it would be back in Nov-Jan? Again, if this is the case, it seems Hogs will need to address at least 1 more big in the 2018 class.

5. PG ... Hogs staff obviously sees that as a need, too, enough to take a look at KJ Fitzgerald in the past month. Maybe the staff feels like between the timeshare of Beard, Macon, and Barford, the Hogs can get by without a PG again next year, and that Glasper & Garland (can help at 1) will give them more options there. If no PG to finish out this class, I think Hogs need to look at one in 2018. I would not wait till 2019 when Justice Hill will be a freshman.

6. What are the backup plans if Smith does not commit? I know of some in-state players the Hogs are still looking at, and I know they are still looking at jucos and other out-of-state HS kids. A senior-grad transfer would also be an option. If you go back to No. 2 scenario where someone from the current team leaves earlier than expected, then it opens 2 scholarships to finish 2017 class and the Smith offer would not eliminate the pursuit of a big or PG.

Summary: Whatever moving parts are currently in play that we don't know about (yet), Zhaire Smith passes the eye test and he's another Top 150 4-star to add to an already solid class in 2017. If he's best available at a position of need, then offering and signing him makes sense.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 01:13:04 pm
Isn't that exactly what I said?
It is lmao my bad I dont know what the hell I was thinking

duckman

I like our chances....

Razorod

Quote from: duckman on March 06, 2017, 10:17:11 pm
I like our chances....
I like hearing that you like our chances!

duckman

Quote from: Razorod on March 07, 2017, 06:11:55 am
I like hearing that you like our chances!
In home today with MA and ST, mama wants to meet them....

Razorod

Hope that visit goes well! If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on March 07, 2017, 07:34:10 am
Hope that visit goes well! If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Amen brother.

Wooderson

Looks like a good Barford replacement.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

The_Iceman

This kids game is just made for Mike's system. He'd be a perfect fit. His contributions on defense will be most needed right away.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Wooderson on March 07, 2017, 09:19:37 am

Maybe after next year .. those are pretty big shoes to fill

Oklahawg

If I am reading things right (and don't have this kid confused with another) it looks like he could grow some more.

I like what gets added to the team should we land him.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ShadowHawg

I think this kid explains why aren't hard after javon franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 08, 2017, 02:30:46 am
I think this kid explains why aren't hard after javon franklin

I think Javon's eligibility concerns are the real reason.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wooderson on March 07, 2017, 09:19:37 am

Barford isn't leaving early. And if he was, his replacement is Khalil Garland.

Pinto

Kid is a diamond in the rough. I pray we land him. He could def start at the 3 spot next year and could develop into a program-changer type player...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 08, 2017, 08:18:43 am
Kid is a diamond in the rough. I pray we land him. He could def start at the 3 spot next year and could develop into a program-changer type player...

I would say "contribute at the 3 spot" would be more accurate. We know Barford and Macon will start at the two guard spots. Either Thompson or Gafford will be at the 5 spot, and Cook/Thomas/Bailey will be at the 4.

You will have CJ Jones, Garland, Hall, and Zhaire Smith all fighting for minutes there. Bailey could develop enough to move there, but I think his long term spot is to develop as an undersized 4.

Razorod

Or, given our past history, we may start in a three guard line-up with Barford, Macon and Beard. They'll all be seniors next year. It may be 18-19 before we truly see a two-guard, small forward starting lineup.

I do think we'll start mixing in two guards + a small forward, but might not be what we start the game in. Anderson does like to reward those who have stuck around.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Razorod on March 08, 2017, 08:28:22 am
Or, given our past history, we may start in a three guard line-up with Barford, Macon and Beard. They'll all be seniors next year. It may be 18-19 before we truly see a two-guard, small forward starting lineup.

I do think we'll start mixing in two guards + a small forward, but might not be what we start the game in. Anderson does like to reward those who have stuck around.

True Anderson does like to do that, but also likes to bring experience off the bench.  I could see a starting 1-3 of Macon, Barford and Jones, with Beard, Garland, Hall/Smith. Then again MA could bring Jones off the bench as an instant offense type and start Garland. Just depends on how things come together.

duckman

The visit went great, they loved CMA and CST, and we will know by the end of the month. 

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: duckman on March 08, 2017, 09:15:00 am
The visit went great, they loved CMA and CST, and we will know by the end of the month.

I haven't tweeted this part out yet (I'm sure you already know), but in addition to an OV to Texas on March 17, Zhaire plans to take an OV to Texas Tech -- either before or after Texas, he told me he hasn't worked that out yet.

azhog10

or Rod Brown shifted away from us.....I like Brown better, but, I do commend the staff for not sitting around and waiting. I think that clearly bit us in the past and Mike is going to make sure he has bodies. If things have to get worked out later the will work them out, but he isn't gonna get left at the alter anymore.

Pinto

Zhaire is a more complete player than CJ, Hall and Garland. Bailey is definitely not a 3. Beard needs to continue to come off the bench unless he shows that he can facilitate and play better defense. We need Zhaire's athleticism and defense vs the better wings in the SEC.

hawginbigd1

Just my opinion but I think Hazen is leaving, I just don't think he fits MA. So I am thinking we have 2 spots open, 1 may be carried forward to 2018, if they can't find a big or a PG. Or more likely they look for a grad transfer.

Pinto

I feel the same and i think it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways. He might could go to a mid major school and have a solid career. I don't see it working out here though.

The_Iceman

Smith is planning to visit Texas and Texas Tech as well. My worry is he has more immediate playing time at those two places than here.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 08, 2017, 10:21:09 am
Just my opinion but I think Hazen is leaving, I just don't think he fits MA. So I am thinking we have 2 spots open, 1 may be carried forward to 2018, if they can't find a big or a PG. Or more likely they look for a grad transfer.

Which sucks because I think he could contribute.  I see a spot for all 3 of the freshmen to contribute in the future.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 10:31:42 am
Smith is planning to visit Texas and Texas Tech as well. My worry is he has more immediate playing time at those two places than here.

Damn.  Hope we can get him.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 10:31:42 am

I disagree. He could definitely start next season for us.

hawginbigd1

I do think this offer says that Jovan is not a possibility in my opinion of reading the tea leaves.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 08, 2017, 10:38:03 am
I disagree. He could definitely start next season for us.

There is an open spot at the 3 next year, but we have CJ Jones, Garland, and Hall as long competing for that starting spot as well. There will be a lot of competition for playing time, which is a good thing overall, but tough on the players that get left out (transfers).

Pinto

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 08, 2017, 10:45:33 am
I do think this offer says that Jovan is not a possibility in my opinion of reading the tea leaves.

Why go after someone who can only jump when you can get someone who can jump just as well and do more?

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on March 08, 2017, 09:57:13 am
or Rod Brown shifted away from us.....I like Brown better, but, I do commend the staff for not sitting around and waiting. I think that clearly bit us in the past and Mike is going to make sure he has bodies. If things have to get worked out later the will work them out, but he isn't gonna get left at the alter anymore.

Every time he talks to HOGdayafternoon, he says the Hogs are still his leader. Interesting to hear if that has changed recently.