Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New name in 2017 hoops recruiting ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, February 19, 2017, 11:23:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 24, 2017, 12:43:27 am
So are we just not using the scholarship this year?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that Thurman is recruiting Zhaire Smith. 6'5 wing out of Texas. Family knows Scotty. Don't think Hogs have offered and not sure if they will. I'm not sure if they still are, but I know Watkins was looking at two 2017 for SW Christian (both frontcourt players). I would assume they'd rather use the scholarship than have a 7-player freshman class in 2018. I like the center from SW Christian, Mladen Armus. I think he'd be a good player to bring in for depth down low.

batmanfan

You know, if we can't find an instant impact freshman/juco/grad transfer it may be best to go get a good transfer who will sit out a year, giving a very young/inexperienced 18-19 Razorback team a sort of a veteran presence/ready to go player for that year.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 24, 2017, 09:11:57 am
I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that Thurman is recruiting Zhaire Smith. 6'5 wing out of Texas. Family knows Scotty. Don't think Hogs have offered and not sure if they will. I'm not sure if they still are, but I know Watkins was looking at two 2017 for SW Christian (both frontcourt players). I would assume they'd rather use the scholarship than have a 7-player freshman class in 2018. I like the center from SW Christian, Mladen Armus. I think he'd be a good player to bring in for depth down low.
All these guys are back up plans for a grad transfer. Would bet money they hope they can land a Sr. Big Grad Transfer or some kind of transfer that could take up one or two years but play right away. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction we try to go over the next two years. Fill the scholarship, but a year at a time and get this scholly to 2019. Only reason to use it otherwise is if you can land a big time talent.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on February 24, 2017, 09:31:04 am
All these guys are back up plans for a grad transfer. Would bet money they hope they can land a Sr. Big Grad Transfer or some kind of transfer that could take up one or two years but play right away. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction we try to go over the next two years. Fill the scholarship, but a year at a time and get this scholly to 2019. Only reason to use it otherwise is if you can land a big time talent.

I could see that. Maybe someone from the JUCO ranks that has two years left?

logic

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 01:01:22 am
Looks like a Beard clone to me. Beard was a straight up baller like that in high school, and probably would be a straight up baller for UALR or a Middle Tenn State or a creighton. But he's just too short...
I am sure height helps, but wouldn't you love to have another Spud Webb at 5'7" or Isaiah Thomas at 5'9"?

Kevin McPherson

Having already signed a strong class in the early period, getting 3 of the 4 available scholarships filled, the Hogs had the luxury of taking their time and doing some picking-and-choosing when it comes to that last spot to be filled in the spring.

They left the early signing period needing another big, but as Trey Thompson and Dustin Thomas continue to improve, and as Gafford consistently dominated the competition (including good competition), it seems they are shifting down the stretch to look at backcourt players -- PG Fitzgerald and wing Smith now on the radar. Point guard is a need, a bit puzzled that they're looking hard at another 2/3 after signing Garland and Hall. Maybe the ties Scotty has makes them feel good about a player they see as best available.

And, after what effectively turned out to be an 8-player avalanche of personnel loss 18 months ago (early departures, transfers, non-qualifier, suspensions), CMA and staff are working hard to be prepared for the unforeseen.

We know about Franklin, Armus, Osabuohien, and now Fitzgerald and Smith. Will definitely be interesting to see what other names emerge, including jucos and possibly (?) a senior-grad transfer, over the next 6 weeks.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on February 24, 2017, 11:19:38 am
Having already signed a strong class in the early period, getting 3 of the 4 available scholarships filled, the Hogs had the luxury of taking their time and doing some picking-and-choosing when it comes to that last spot to be filled in the spring.

They left the early signing period needing another big, but as Trey Thompson and Dustin Thomas continue to improve, and as Gafford consistently dominated the competition (including good competition), it seems they are shifting down the stretch to look at backcourt players -- PG Fitzgerald and wing Smith now on the radar. Point guard is a need, a bit puzzled that they're looking hard at another 2/3 after signing Garland and Hall. Maybe the ties Scotty has makes them feel good about a player they see as best available.

And, after what effectively turned out to be an 8-player avalanche of personnel loss 18 months ago (early departures, transfers, non-qualifier, suspensions), CMA and staff are working hard to be prepared for the unforeseen.

We know about Franklin, Armus, Osabuohien, and now Fitzgerald and Smith. Will definitely be interesting to see what other names emerge, including jucos and possibly (?) a senior-grad transfer, over the next 6 weeks.

I could easily see any of those kids being nice late additions. That is a decent list going into the spring. I am definitely interested in the grad transfer option though. We'll see who else pops up.

raz1965

The Fitzgerald kid reminds me of the little guard at Georgia, don't recall his name but he is Georgia's offense right now.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: raz1965 on February 24, 2017, 05:00:33 pm
The Fitzgerald kid reminds me of the little guard at Georgia, don't recall his name but he is Georgia's offense right now.
JJ Frazier
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

raz1965

Zhaire Smith was at the game to watch the hogs defeat the dogs. Would be a good finish to the 2017 class. Ran across the info on CBS at the Razorback team page. May have been posted but I didn't see it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 10:30:22 am

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/838425642911862784

This is interesting considering the current roster makeup for next year. I wonder if someone is leaving that we currently don't expect. Maybe this is a replacement for someone like Hazen.

http://247sports.com/Player/Zhaire-Smith-93859

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZP7FZwPLE

The_Iceman

Quote from: duckman on February 25, 2017, 11:53:46 pm
Zhaire Smith is a stud....

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3726732/58b1f96ebee0b513c01a52f4

He looks like a kid that will immediately improve our wing defense and full court pressure defense.

I wonder what position he projects at for us.

Smith is listed at only 6'5", but in this video, he plays like he is 6'8".

Van Boarisson

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 10:37:26 am
This is interesting considering the current roster makeup for next year. I wonder if someone is leaving that we currently don't expect. Maybe this is a replacement for someone like Hazen.

http://247sports.com/Player/Zhaire-Smith-93859

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZP7FZwPLE

When I saw he was offered, I wondered myself if someone was leaving. Then again, maybe the staff is really trying to shore up the wing.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 05, 2017, 03:15:47 pm
When I saw he was offered, I wondered myself if someone was leaving. Then again, maybe the staff is really trying to shore up the wing.

He is the type of guy you could run at the 4 spot if you had Gafford at the 5 and someone like Hall at the 3. Offensively, it would work. And defensively, if you run the matchup zone and the full court 2-2-1, you don't necessarily need a traditional big 4.

hogwood

Smith seems like best available. Looks like a great system fit. We will definitely have some competition for the 2/3. This also eludes to the possibility of Jones transferring IMO. If not we will be stacked.

Looks like he was just given a 4 star composite. Rated closely with Garland

http://247sports.com/player/zhaire-smith-93859

ballinhog

Hope this has nothing to do with the possibility of Jones transferring. I really wanna see what type of player he turns into here

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on March 05, 2017, 04:04:05 pm
Smith seems like best available. Looks like a great system fit. We will definitely have some competition for the 2/3. This also eludes to the possibility of Jones transferring IMO. If not we will be stacked.

Looks like he was just given a 4 star composite. Rated closely with Garland

http://247sports.com/player/zhaire-smith-93859

Probably more Hazen than Jones.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 04:30:09 pm
Probably more Hazen than Jones.

I don't know I would think Jones at this point. Hazen always seems happy. I've seen some stuff from Jones on social media that doesn't always indicate that it's going smoothly. Would still doubt it but if I was to pick one to bet on id say Jones, sadly.

The_Iceman

The_Bionic_Pig

He is definitely the one the coaching staff wants for the final spot *best available*
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 06:35:44 pm
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/838532848172716032

I love tall athletic shooting guards and this kid looks like a very good one but I was hoping we would add a big 245lb PF who would go get us 8+ RPG and add some toughness to our inside game.  Maybe by us going after a SG we might have an under classman leaving the team so we can add that PF. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 05, 2017, 08:48:13 pm
I love tall athletic shooting guards but I will be honest I was hoping we would add a big 245lb PF who would go get us 8+ RPG and add some toughness to our inside game.  Maybe by us going after a SG we have someone leaving the team so we can add that PF. 

We will need a big man for the 2018-2019 season. Next year we will have Thompson and Gafford, which will be fine at the 5. But we have to find a backup for Gafford for the next season.

Smith is a real talent. Love his game. Very comparable to Javon Franklin. He is a versatile player that could play the 3 or the 4 for us, depending on the lineup.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 08:50:57 pm
We will need a big man for the 2018-2019 season. Next year we will have Thompson and Gafford, which will be fine at the 5. But we have to find a backup for Gafford for the next season.

Smith is a real talent. Love his game. Very comparable to Javon Franklin. He is a versatile player that could play the 3 or the 4 for us, depending on the lineup.

I am talking about a PF. We do not have any true PF on this team right now.   We have 3 or so we put at the 4 position but none are true PFs or none or good enough to get us to that next level.  Oh, we have some we put at that spot but they are not what we need to add toughness and rebounds in the paint.  Remember when Nolan finally added some size and weight down low?  We started winning Championships.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 10:42:56 am
He looks like a kid that will immediately improve our wing defense and full court pressure defense.

I wonder what position he projects at for us.

Smith is listed at only 6'5", but in this video, he plays like he is 6'8".
looks like the next mike qualls to me
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

duckman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 05, 2017, 09:53:16 pm
damn right he is

I grew up with his Dad, he was an incredible athlete as well.  You will not find a better guy.  If you get a chance look up Billy Smith, he played for Kansas State.  His story is motivational, he is now in a wheelchair due to a back surgery gone bad.  Billy called me in the hospital when I had my neck surgery a couple of years ago.  Great guy...

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 03:22:02 pm
He is the type of guy you could run at the 4 spot if you had Gafford at the 5 and someone like Hall at the 3. Offensively, it would work. And defensively, if you run the matchup zone and the full court 2-2-1, you don't necessarily need a traditional big 4.
If you look at our roster for next year it is made for a predominately zone defense.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 24, 2017, 09:11:57 am

I agree with offering Armus if he is a tough physical guy.  He has the size for sure to add depth to that position.  I just have not seen him play so I do not know but we need to add more size to our 4s and 5s.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 05, 2017, 09:52:52 pm
looks like the next mike qualls to me

looks like a better shooter off the dribble.. also better handles... I like his game.. appears a perfect fit for Mike's system.. might need to find another big for 18 if we go this route..

hogwood

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 06, 2017, 08:08:21 am
looks like a better shooter off the dribble.. also better handles... I like his game.. appears a perfect fit for Mike's system.. might need to find another big for 18 if we go this route..

Which means maybe not getting Rodgerick Brown... I mean if we still need a big and a PG and are flush with 2/3's it just doesn't make sense. Get Embery/Wright and a big and that's all we have room for. Too bad as I LOVE Brown. But I also wouldn't put it past the staff to just get Brown instead of a big...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 06, 2017, 08:08:21 am

Looks a little ahead of Qualls at the same points in their careers. Like his game and versatility.

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 06, 2017, 05:47:21 am
I agree with offering Armus if he is a tough physical guy.  He has the size for sure to add depth to that position.  I just have not seen him play so I do not know but we need to add more size to our 4s and 5s.

I don't think we need more size at the 4, if we can get guys more athletic at that position. Cook and Thomas aren't really elite athletes.

Bailey, Reggie Perry, Ethan Henderson....that's more of what we need to see at the 4 position.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogwood on March 06, 2017, 08:16:46 am
. Get Embery/Wright and a big and that's all we have room for.

This would be my guess... providing we get Smith... and everyone stays...

The_Iceman

What if Mike decided to play Ethan Henderson as the backup 5 to Gafford. If he landed Zhaire Smith in 2017 and Rodgerick Brown in 2018, we had a lineup something like this:

Garland / Sills / Glasper
Jones / Joe
Hall / Z.Smith
Perry / Bailey / Brown
Gafford / Henderson

We'd be smaller at the backup 5 spot, but more longer and athletic overall 3 thru 5. Just a thought.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 08:30:55 am
What if Mike decided to play Ethan Henderson as the backup 5 to Gafford. If he landed Zhaire Smith in 2017 and Rodgerick Brown in 2018, we had a lineup something like this:

Garland / Sills / Glasper
Jones / Joe
Hall / Z.Smith
Perry / Bailey / Brown
Gafford / Henderson

We'd be smaller at the backup 5 spot, but more longer and athletic overall 3 thru 5. Just a thought.

You might be onto something. Athleticism can make up for size.

HogInThaGrove

Looking at his arms, he already looks stronger than any guard/forward we have on the team right now.  Barford is the only other player with any definition in his arms/shoulders besides maybe Moses.  I hope Trey really commits himself this offseason to nutrition and the weight room, he could have a really really good sr year.  His passing skills are off the charts and it seems his confidence is growing exponentially.  I really liked seeing him dunk over two guys and get the foul against Georgia.  I think the ability is there, not elite ability, but very solid ability.

I really like this kid's game.  He has major hops and his jump shot is very consistent in how he repeats his mechanics.  Looks like he sees the floor very well too and makes very good passes.  I like the looks of this kiddo.  Hope we get him!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2017, 08:36:04 am
You might be onto something. Athleticism can make up for size.

Especially if you start using the 2-2-1 and matchup zone more as a primary defense. A shot blocking center in the middle with two long, athletic forwards on either side makes a solid lineup. And with our guards up top getting taller and longer as well let, we could really wreak havoc defensively.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 08:50:57 pm

I wouldn't compare him to Franklin. I saw another of him and he is better ball handler and has a decent mid range pull up jumper.

Hollywood870

Hope Jones sticks it out. This guy looks like "Best Available" though for sure. Have to take him.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 05, 2017, 10:54:40 am
For those wondering if he does anything other than dunk:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3726732/58b26663ff0c6d2f50840417
Looks like he could develop into a big guard type and be a mis-match down on the block. Looks strong.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on March 06, 2017, 09:51:23 am
Looking at his arms, he already looks stronger than any guard/forward we have on the team right now.  Barford is the only other player with any definition in his arms/shoulders besides maybe Moses.  I hope Trey really commits himself this offseason to nutrition and the weight room, he could have a really really good sr year.  His passing skills are off the charts and it seems his confidence is growing exponentially.  I really liked seeing him dunk over two guys and get the foul against Georgia.  I think the ability is there, not elite ability, but very solid ability.

I really like this kid's game.  He has major hops and his jump shot is very consistent in how he repeats his mechanics.  Looks like he sees the floor very well too and makes very good passes.  I like the looks of this kiddo.  Hope we get him!

He has a 6'9 wingspan...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwood on March 06, 2017, 08:16:46 am
Which means maybe not getting Rodgerick Brown... I mean if we still need a big and a PG and are flush with 2/3's it just doesn't make sense. Get Embery/Wright and a big and that's all we have room for. Too bad as I LOVE Brown. But I also wouldn't put it past the staff to just get Brown instead of a big...

I would be shocked if their is no roster turnover... No inside info or anything but you should know by now if your going to get major PT next season.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

6'9 wingspan, huh? That's pretty attractive. It will be interesting to see how things develop here. He would appear to the staff's top target presently, and he has acknowledged publicly that he is honored to getting offered the final remaining scholarship.