Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caloric Deficit

Started by Rooka, January 01, 2015, 09:37:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

January 01, 2015, 09:37:51 pm Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:48:51 pm by Rooka
Of course, with the new year upon us, a lot of us are looking to lose weight. I have been trying to eat right for a while now and really feel healthier. My main thing has been stay at a caloric deficit. I'll cheat now and again but still try to hold at that deficit. This holiday season I flat out blew it, and gotta get back right. What's some diet tips you have to share as far as staying under your calories for the day? Potato chips are what kill me. I eat those baked lays or rice chips, but I have to find an even healthier alternative.

hvsupastar

If it doesn't grow or it didn't used to eat stuff that grew, don't touch it.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 01, 2015, 10:15:03 pm
If it doesn't grow or it didn't used to eat stuff that grew, don't touch it.

Yep. Processed foods are much more than calories. Eat an apple instead of a bag of chips for a week and see and feel the difference.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

alwaysnextyear

Not all calories are created equal. When calculating macros, I find that most people tend to overshoot on the calories they think they burn.

Grag T

As Kenny Hawgins once said, "Eat less. Do more."

That's the entire fitness industry in a ****in' nutshell.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Grag T on January 02, 2015, 01:21:31 pm
As Kenny Hawgins once said, "Eat less. Do more."

That's the entire fitness industry in a ****in' nutshell.

It truly does boil down to that.  Being healthy isn't rocket science. But reaching advanced levels of fitness does require a lot of knowledge
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Hogfly

Look into intermittent fasting as a way of maintaining caloric deficit. It's not for everyone but it's very effective for a lot of people.

Rooka

I just wanted to share my progress so far. So I have taken up a gym membership and me and a buddy of mine go at least 3 times a week and hit all the muscle groups once a week. On 3 of the 4 off days from going to the gym itself, I have been doing treadmill at home and mixing in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) as well. Trying to keep it mixed up.

As far as diet goes, I have one cheat MEAL a week. Not a cheat day, but a cheat meal. I have been eating leaner meats and trying to cut carbs in alot of areas of my life. I am mainly focusing on the caloric deficit as of now. Really just eating better as much as I can and having portion control. So far I have lost around 16 pounds and I can tell I have gained muscle in my legs and arms. It really does feel great, only thing is I can't really see it yet on myself. My clothes are a little looser so that is a plus, but I can't wait till I can really see it. Just got to keep chugging along.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Good on you, Rooka.

Remember, diet is so very important.  Eat plenty of raw fruits, veggies, and nuts/legumes to improve your overall health in addition to eater leaner meats.

You have to eat about a full stomach's worth of veggies to make 500 calories.  Processed foods take up about 1/4 to 1/2 of your stomach for the same amount of calories and you don't feel full.  Diet, diet, diet, but make sure it's something you can do long term.  Lifestyle change is the goal, my man.

I personally try to eat as clean as I can.  Raw fruits for snacks. Plenty of fresh veggies during meals.  I do eat a little bread, but I try to eat very grainy bread (it makes me feel better than white bread).  I also eat lean meats, but it can be difficult.  I try to only touch fast food once a week. 

I also juice veggies and fruits into a drink.  I personally like the Mean Green Juice recipe from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  It's simpler than trying to cram all of those foods into your stomach.

I feel better and look like a 25 year old (according to most people I meet who don't know me) and I turn 33 in a couple of months.  Diet for nutritional health, and exercise for overall body function, strength, endurance and cardio health.  You can't beat the feeling.

hvsupastar

Quote from: Rooka on January 30, 2015, 02:56:38 pm
I just wanted to share my progress so far. So I have taken up a gym membership and me and a buddy of mine go at least 3 times a week and hit all the muscle groups once a week. On 3 of the 4 off days from going to the gym itself, I have been doing treadmill at home and mixing in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) as well. Trying to keep it mixed up.

As far as diet goes, I have one cheat MEAL a week. Not a cheat day, but a cheat meal. I have been eating leaner meats and trying to cut carbs in alot of areas of my life. I am mainly focusing on the caloric deficit as of now. Really just eating better as much as I can and having portion control. So far I have lost around 16 pounds and I can tell I have gained muscle in my legs and arms. It really does feel great, only thing is I can't really see it yet on myself. My clothes are a little looser so that is a plus, but I can't wait till I can really see it. Just got to keep chugging along.

Good job. I need to get back to doing what you're doing, diet wise. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to monitor protein intake a little more, will help with the gains.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Rooka

UPDATE: I have lost a total of 23 pounds so far. All in about the span of about a month and a half. Shows just how out of shape I was/am still in. I am 1/3 of the way to my main goal of 60 pounds. I am sure I could stand to lose even more and will try hard once I get there, but for now that is the goal I am fighting for.

Still hitting the gym and going 4 days on and 3 off now with cardio on two of the off days at home.  The gym has one of those StairMaster machines and when I am on that, it almost feels like I am just blasting the fat off me. I am finally able to tell it on myself some. My clothes fit alot better, and when I work out in the gym and see myself lifting in the mirror, I can really tell that I have lost some body fat. It's really alot of fun now that I have gotten started.

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 30, 2015, 04:14:11 pm
Good job. I need to get back to doing what you're doing, diet wise. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to monitor protein intake a little more, will help with the gains.

I appreciate that advice. I have really been trying to add protein to my diet. I have been using a Whey Protein shake after my workouts that has upped my protein intake. Some are against the shakes, but for me it is an easy and effective way to add that protein I need. I eat plenty of meat, but some days I don't get what I need to really be helping myself out with gaining muscle.

clutch

Quote from: The Chief on January 30, 2015, 04:12:54 pm
I feel better and look like a 25 year old (according to most people I meet who don't know me) and I turn 33 in a couple of months. 

Im in the same boat on the looking younger than you are part. I'm a coach/teacher. Had to take a small group of sr students on a field trip a couple weeks ago. We stopped at a Mexican place to eat. The server brought out my ticket and had two meals on it. He thought I was dating the girl sitting across from me because he said we looked the same age haha. Awkward situation to say the least. Apparently I'm 27 and look 18.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: clutch on February 19, 2015, 12:00:40 pm
Im in the same boat on the looking younger than you are part. I'm a coach/teacher. Had to take a small group of sr students on a field trip a couple weeks ago. We stopped at a Mexican place to eat. The server brought out my ticket and had two meals on it. He thought I was dating the girl sitting across from me because he said we looked the same age haha. Awkward situation to say the least. Apparently I'm 27 and look 18.

Maybe he saw the way you were looking at each other, and playing footsie under the table!

Just kidding, sorry couldn't help it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

clutch

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 19, 2015, 05:00:07 pm
Maybe he saw the way you were looking at each other, and playing footsie under the table!

Just kidding, sorry couldn't help it.

Lol that definitely wasn't it.

woodrow hog call

I'm glad you saw the humuor, kind of felt bad afterwards not knowing how you might take it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

clutch

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 19, 2015, 06:49:45 pm
I'm glad you saw the humuor, kind of felt bad afterwards not knowing how you might take it.

Lol no problem. It's a message board. You can't take anything seriously.

Rooka

UPDATE- Down 29 pounds. Starting to see my muscles again which is a GREAT feeling. Also down two pants sizes. 1 pound away from my half way goal.

Rooka

Haven't updated in a while...

Down 36 pounds now. Getting harder on the diet end, but still doing my best. Really starting to see strength gains in the gym as well as being able to run longer distances without getting winded. As hard as it all seems before you start, it really isn't hard at all if you have the want to/need to attitude. Bite the bullet and get up and move!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Good for you, brother. Physical fitness is really more psychological than physical. Sounds like you are doing great.

Rooka

51 pounds down! And it feels awesome.

Junkyard Hog

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Rooka on June 09, 2015, 07:29:42 pm
51 pounds down! And it feels awesome.

This is badass! Congratulations!  :razorback:

HawgPilot

I started running November 14th of last year weighing 235.  In February I started eating clean and doing HITT 2 days/week and running 2 days/week about 3-4 miles per run.  In April I added cycling 1 day/wk to my other 4 days.  As of Monday I'm down to 197. 

root_hawg

I was 223 in November last year, went on a highly restrictive diet, lost 35 in 40 days.  It was not a pleasant experience and probably not that healthy but I knew if I could get it off I could keep it off.  Hired a trainer, been with her the last 5 months and am down to 185 but look a lot better in my clothes.  Had no choice was a walking heart attack with a bad back but feel lots better now.

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on June 25, 2015, 03:36:47 pm
I started running November 14th of last year weighing 235.  In February I started eating clean and doing HITT 2 days/week and running 2 days/week about 3-4 miles per run.  In April I added cycling 1 day/wk to my other 4 days.  As of Monday I'm down to 197. 

Good Job!

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Rooka on April 09, 2015, 11:08:13 am
Haven't updated in a while...

Down 36 pounds now. Getting harder on the diet end, but still doing my best. Really starting to see strength gains in the gym as well as being able to run longer distances without getting winded. As hard as it all seems before you start, it really isn't hard at all if you have the want to/need to attitude. Bite the bullet and get up and move!
Sounds like you're doing well with gradually progressing.  I'd recommend that you push the intensity rather than duration though.  For body composition, the data I've seen show HIIT training to be superior to steady state training.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Rooka

Well, I haven't updated this thread in almost a year. At last June, my total weight lost was at 51 pounds. Now, I have lost a total of 70 pounds. I had a minor hiccup around Christmas season where I went overboard, but rebounded and have a net loss of 70. I would love to be able to post here in a year and say a total of 100. I am at 251 now and that would put me at 221 at 6'1. I wouldn't be done at that weight, but would be a heck of a milestone!

PorkSoda

I've never had to diet in my life, but between a desk job and my metabolism slowing down as I get older I've literally gone from 180 - 240 in 3 years.  So any tips on what to focus on would be helpful.  Its tough on the ol' ego, but I gotta change my ways to get back in shape.  I don't eat sweets or fast food, but I've come to the conclusion I probably shouldn't eat enough for two like I did in my 20s.  A little more exercise I think would probably help to.  Other than that, I don't really know where to start or how to determine what I need to achieve a caloric deficit, etc.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pulled(PP)pork

beer has been my killer.....why must they make it taste so good?????

PP

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 05, 2016, 06:48:24 pm
beer has been my killer.....why must they make it taste so good?????

PP
there's a sandwich in every bottle.   My brother drinks 10 times the beer I drink and doesn't have an once of fat.   but then again he shovels 5-10 tons of asphalt a day and I work a desk job. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Rooka

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 06:45:18 pm
I've never had to diet in my life, but between a desk job and my metabolism slowing down as I get older I've literally gone from 180 - 240 in 3 years.  So any tips on what to focus on would be helpful.  Its tough on the ol' ego, but I gotta change my ways to get back in shape.  I don't eat sweets or fast food, but I've come to the conclusion I probably shouldn't eat enough for two like I did in my 20s.  A little more exercise I think would probably help to.  Other than that, I don't really know where to start or how to determine what I need to achieve a caloric deficit, etc.
I can tell you in this age of technology, a huge help to me has been the myfitnesspal app because you can enter your height and weight and it will let you know how many calories you burn a day by just normal daily functions (even sleeping) without additional exercise. It also makes tracking foods extremely simple. In the simplest way to explain a complex ordeal, as long as you eat less calories than that number given as your "BMR" or your daily allotment of calories, then you should in theory lose weight. When it comes to just fat loss, diet really is 80-85% of it, but exercise helps impact overall health and will assist a slowing metabolism.

Here is a site as well that you can calculate your caloric intake for a day and use as a guide: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Pulled(PP)pork

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Rooka on May 06, 2016, 08:05:48 am
I can tell you in this age of technology, a huge help to me has been the myfitnesspal app because you can enter your height and weight and it will let you know how many calories you burn a day by just normal daily functions (even sleeping) without additional exercise. It also makes tracking foods extremely simple. In the simplest way to explain a complex ordeal, as long as you eat less calories than that number given as your "BMR" or your daily allotment of calories, then you should in theory lose weight. When it comes to just fat loss, diet really is 80-85% of it, but exercise helps impact overall health and will assist a slowing metabolism.

Here is a site as well that you can calculate your caloric intake for a day and use as a guide: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
FWIW, these tools can be handy but I'd still recommend keeping a log and taking measurements occasionally, as the formulas used to calculate BMR rely on assumptions that result in error.  The one in the link, for instance, only relies on a few predictive variables (age, sex, height, weight) but doesn't take into account other significant predictors (e.g. bodyfat %, activity volume/intensity, etc). 

Use these more as a guideline but I still think it necessary to confirm by tracking physical changes.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

hawgrunner

they say the only real way to get those abs is via caloric deficit...

hvsupastar

I'm thinking about going crazy with a big caloric deficit and double cardio days. See if I can lose 20 pounds in a month or something crazy like that.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hvsupastar on July 17, 2016, 09:21:42 am
I'm thinking about going crazy with a big caloric deficit and double cardio days. See if I can lose 20 pounds in a month or something crazy like that.

Be careful not to starve yourself. I wouldn't advise losing 20 pounds in a month. Usually, losing 2 pounds per week is considered healthy and more could be harmful, but everyone is different.

Just be careful with your diet. Make sure you're getting the nutrition you need.

clutch

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 17, 2016, 01:12:09 am
they say the only real way to get those abs is via caloric deficit...

I used to think this, but I started doing a lot more resistance training on my abs and have noticed a huge difference. I can have a visible 6 pack now at higher body fat percentages. The abs are just like any other muscle, they can be built up. The more they are built up, the more visible they are.

They key is to not go overboard though. They can also be built up too much, resulting in the "bubble gut" look that today's bodybuilders have. They are a small muscle though, so it's hard to get to that point unless you are using some type of gear.

The best thing about building them up more though is that if you do decide to cut your body fat percentage, they really pop. They look like little bricks on your stomach because the cuts are so deep. 

hawgrunner

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 12:57:40 pm
I used to think this, but I started doing a lot more resistance training on my abs and have noticed a huge difference. I can have a visible 6 pack now at higher body fat percentages. The abs are just like any other muscle, they can be built up. The more they are built up, the more visible they are.

They key is to not go overboard though. They can also be built up too much, resulting in the "bubble gut" look that today's bodybuilders have. They are a small muscle though, so it's hard to get to that point unless you are using some type of gear.

The best thing about building them up more though is that if you do decide to cut your body fat percentage, they really pop. They look like little bricks on your stomach because the cuts are so deep. 

what kind of resistance training on the abs?

clutch

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 17, 2016, 11:53:27 pm
what kind of resistance training on the abs?

I do a lot of stuff with the cables. Weighted crunches, wood choppers, etc.. I also do a lot of stuff with free weights like side bends holding a 45lb plate to target my obliques, or russian twists with weight balls. Leg raises are also a great way to build the ab muscles up. A lot of people do them wrong though. If you are doing leg raises and are able to do a lot of reps you are probably doing them wrong. Most people stop when they get to a 90 degree angle, they aren't reaching the point where they get the pelvic tilt which is what really hammers the abs.

hawgrunner

Quote from: clutch on July 18, 2016, 01:09:54 pm
I do a lot of stuff with the cables. Weighted crunches, wood choppers, etc.. I also do a lot of stuff with free weights like side bends holding a 45lb plate to target my obliques, or russian twists with weight balls. Leg raises are also a great way to build the ab muscles up. A lot of people do them wrong though. If you are doing leg raises and are able to do a lot of reps you are probably doing them wrong. Most people stop when they get to a 90 degree angle, they aren't reaching the point where they get the pelvic tilt which is what really hammers the abs.

Due to my Disc herniation and the Microdiscectomy I had... need to be careful.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=585730.0

clutch

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 18, 2016, 06:27:30 pm

Due to my Disc herniation and the Microdiscectomy I had... need to be careful.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=585730.0

Yeah I wouldn't recommend it for you. You should stick to core exercises that don't incorporate spinal flexion such as rollouts and planks. Just make sure you do them correctly. Most people do them wrong, especially planks.

hawgrunner

Quote from: clutch on July 18, 2016, 07:25:24 pm
Yeah I wouldn't recommend it for you. You should stick to core exercises that don't incorporate spinal flexion such as rollouts and planks. Just make sure you do them correctly. Most people do them wrong, especially planks.

http://www.evolutionfit.it/en/exercises-database/plank.aspx

hvsupastar

Boy I feel like a ufc fighter who is trying to make weight.  Have dropped 10 pounds in 2 days mainly due to dehydration, not by design either.  I played pick up basketball last night in a gym with no AC and was too tired to properly hydrate.  Was 239 Sunday morning, 229 this (tuesday) morning.  As much as I'd like to stay in the 220's, i'm getting fluids all day today. 

MO.Hog

I started the end of February using the my fitness pal app on my phone and going to the gym.  I was at 252lbs and 6' 2", I'm currently at 212lbs with a ton more muscle mass.  I must say when I started I had my doubts that I would stick with it like every other time I've tried, but thank god I did.  That app is a must for anyone wanting to track calories to lose weight.  It has almost every restaurant in there for when you eat out and also you can plug in your own recipes and see exactly how many calories/macros you're consuming.  Great job to everyone on here keeping at it and having success.  My goal is to get to 205lbs and then up my calorie intake while still lifting and start really putting on the muscle mass.  At the age of 30 I'm already in the shape of my life though.

hvsupastar

Good job!  Congratulations.  I know you feel 1000% right now

clutch

Quote from: MO.Hog on July 20, 2016, 10:12:09 am
I started the end of February using the my fitness pal app on my phone and going to the gym.  I was at 252lbs and 6' 2", I'm currently at 212lbs with a ton more muscle mass.  I must say when I started I had my doubts that I would stick with it like every other time I've tried, but thank god I did.  That app is a must for anyone wanting to track calories to lose weight.  It has almost every restaurant in there for when you eat out and also you can plug in your own recipes and see exactly how many calories/macros you're consuming.  Great job to everyone on here keeping at it and having success.  My goal is to get to 205lbs and then up my calorie intake while still lifting and start really putting on the muscle mass.  At the age of 30 I'm already in the shape of my life though.

Probably about the best app out there for anyone serious about eating right, whether that be to lose weight or gain muscle. A lot of people think they can do what they need without tracking, but it's extremely hard to do. Most people are usually way off on their guesses of how many calories they consume a day.

hawgrunner

Quote from: MO.Hog on July 20, 2016, 10:12:09 am

I have that app as well but I still seem to blow it at dinner... LOL!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Whenever I eat too much, I lift heavier weight and throw in some low-impact cardio.  Or I go super-duper on leg day.

TX HOG

I just started trail running as opposed to street running a couple weeks ago. Street running is so monotonous, running trails is so much more fun to me. Plus the variations in elevation seem to be a good workout

hawgrunner

Quote from: TX HOG on August 03, 2016, 12:22:45 pm
I just started trail running as opposed to street running a couple weeks ago. Street running is so monotonous, running trails is so much more fun to me. Plus the variations in elevation seem to be a good workout

Trail running vs street running is like free weights to machine. You work more than just the one muscle group.