Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missouri, play 'em or not?

Started by HoopS, March 27, 2006, 01:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

I have read several posts in which it basically sounded like some of you wanted to run and hide from playing them now that MA is there.    I couldn't disagree more with that line of thinking.  Since when do Razorbacks run and hide from anyone?  I was raised thinking the bigger they are, the harder they fall.  I relish this series now. 

I like MA and hope he does well.  That being said, I want to kick the crap out of him and his Tigers.  We should absolutely keep this series and even extend it.  I remember when going to Columbia, dealing with their "Antlers" or whatever they called them, was a big deal. 

Furthermore, I believe we should play a variation of styles in our OOC schedule.  I would agree with playing a Princeton, Penn or Bucknell style team, as well.   

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hoophogs on March 27, 2006, 01:33:32 pm
I have read several posts in which it basically sounded like some of you wanted to run and hide from playing them now that MA is there.    I couldn't disagree more with that line of thinking.  Since when do Razorbacks run and hide from anyone?  I was raised thinking the bigger they are, the harder they fall.  I relish this series now. 

I like MA and hope he does well.  That being said, I want to kick the crap out of him and his Tigers.  We should absolutely keep this series and even extend it.  I remember when going to Columbia, dealing with their "Antlers" or whatever they called them, was a big deal. 

Furthermore, I believe we should play a variation of styles in our OOC schedule.  I would agree with playing a Princeton, Penn or Bucknell style team, as well.  

Arkansas has played Missouri the past 2 yrs and I think the Longhorns are taking that spot next season.  (Kansas we crossed in Hawaii)  Is Arkansas once again participating next season in the SEC -vs- Big12 challenge ???
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfan064

Why wouldn't we play them?  I have no problem with it. 

HoopS

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 27, 2006, 01:36:43 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on March 27, 2006, 01:33:32 pm

Arkansas has played Missouri the past 2 yrs and I think the Longhorns are taking that spot next season.  (Kansas we crossed in Hawaii)  Is Arkansas once again participating next season in the SEC -vs- Big12 challenge ???

I wasn't sure about our future schedule, but thought someone said we still had Mizz another year.  Either way, I want a piece.  I'm glad we have Texas on the schedule. 

You know the SEC - Big 12 challenge would be pretty sweet.   For the life of me, I don't know why they only have ACC - Big 10 challenge, as if they are the only 2 conferences worthy.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hoophogs on March 27, 2006, 01:39:48 pm
  You know the SEC - Big 12 challenge would be pretty sweet.   For the life of me, I don't know why they only have ACC - Big 10 challenge, as if they are the only 2 conferences worthy.

This should answer your question re-guarding ESPN coverage of SEC Basketball or lack their of Hoop.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TorsinAHog

we are scheduled to play them per the ar dem gaz for the next two years (yesterday). I published the link yesterday AM.  I will be rooting for MU in every game EXCEPT the UA game just like I pulled for UAB.  I was a big MA supporter when I was a student from 91-95 when he was getting overlooked for all those jobs (tulsa, UMKC, ORU, etc) and its nice to see him have some success.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Hogwild07

Why wouldnt we play them.  Frank needs to quit backing down and being scared of playing people.  Just because they hired one our former assistants, that doesnt mean we shouldnt play them.  Frank is too embarrassed to get beat by a guy that he knows he should have hired.

LA HAWG

Yes we should absolutely play them.

Adam Stokes

Just like Ramar and Beverly, when it comes to Missou and Texas, let's get em' both!!

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

3kgthog

I look at it like this. I truly believe Mizzou is going to stinkhole us next year. In the aftermath, national and local media will begin to question whether MA should've been hired instead of Stan Heath. Local sports radio callers and internet posters will bash Stan at an all new level. Is that the kind of distraction our team or our coach needs hovering over their heads the rest of the season?

I don't think we should run, but we should prepare for the ugliness that is bound to ensue once the smoke clears. It will be twice as bad as Bucknell and might even rival the meltdown after the Vanderbilt loss in football.

HoopS

Yeah, well what if we "stinkhole" them?  Call me crazy but I like challenges.

Hogwild07

lets play em and quit backing down.  yeah if we lose it could be bad but we have to overcome that.  Arkansas-Missouri would be a nice new rivalry.

The_Bionic_Pig

Missouri (Anderson style) would play the same kind of ball that Tennessee plays (Live by the 3 Die by the 3) 

Missouri is freaking loaded with young talent (Jason Horton, Marshall Brown, Kalen Grimes, Thomas Gardner) ALL 4 STAR recruits or higher.. but its designed for a half court scheme.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out...I expect quite a few transfers.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

go hogues

Quote from: Hogwild07 on March 27, 2006, 02:06:35 pm
Why wouldnt we play them.  Frank needs to quit backing down and being scared of playing people.  Just because they hired one our former assistants, that doesnt mean we shouldnt play them.  Frank is too embarrassed to get beat by a guy that he knows he should have hired.
Nicely put!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogfan13

40/29 said last night that Missouri is on our 06-07 Schedule

The_Bionic_Pig

March 27, 2006, 04:03:52 pm #16 Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 04:13:10 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Anderson will inherit a couple of McDonald AA's so I don't expect him to have much drop off if any.  It will take them awhile to get acclimated to RUN & GUN - Full court press defense consistently for 40 minutes but it will be interesting to see. 

If we catch them early in the schedule we will probably spank the hell outta them as will a lot of team. but once he gets his system implemented they will be a serious threat. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Chappeee

Absolutely play them.  This has the potential to turn into a non-conference rivalry, which is something our basketball program badly needs.  Arkansas should play them once per year and there should be a trophy that the winner keeps.  Or maybe the winning team and coaching staff should get cigars, like Alabama and Tennessee do in football.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: opineonswine on March 27, 2006, 04:14:31 pm
I have no problem playing them.  However, mark it down....loss in Columbia in 2006.

We have no idea of the makeup to the 2006 Razorbacks by the time we arrive.  I must ask you this opineonswine, is this prediction based on wanting to see Anderson stick it to FB or have you taken the time to do a analysis of the returning talent on the Missouri Tigers current roster and their potential lineup -vs- the current roster. 

I for one can't wait to break down the weakness's of both teams entering that game.  I will say this once again if Arkansas catches them early we win no matter what the location.  I base this on Nolan Richardson having to do the same thing here when he first arrived.

Turning Coach Sutton's players from a half court based offense into the "40 Minutes of Hell"
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

wincrimson

Arkansas would absolutely kill Mizzwho!

toshortrock

we hell yeah,why not play em,cause mike is the coach now,hell,u starting to sound like Frank
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

BPPig

It would be sad if we based our schedule on who the head coach of the opposing team was. The game is a natural and could do nothing but help us in the long run. I would love to see a yearly with them, especially if MA is the coach. It would be a fun game for all concerned. Well, all but for a few maybe.

wrightobe

Quote from: hoophogs on March 27, 2006, 02:47:28 pm
Yeah, well what if we "stinkhole" them?  Call me crazy but I like challenges.
Agreed!!!!

Was it not Nolan Richardson's saying  "Fear makes cowards".

Take on the challenge and relish it!!!!!!  GO HOGS, GOOOoooo!!!!

pignatious

If Stan makes some real changes in philosophy and assistants and signs 2 shooters in this class, I'd be for it. Also, if it would help show the morons that run the program that Stan's "style" is not working and we should have another coach, I'm all for it. If it's just for the sake of losing to another up and coming program, no thanks.
Freedom is never free.

pork and mindy

I say we take them head on. Missouri is so tied up with their pro teams their college sports are always gonna be poor. Anderson plays an exciting style but I don't think he will carry that program past ours.

wrightobe

Quote from: pignatious on March 27, 2006, 07:53:57 pm
If Stan makes some real changes in philosophy and assistants and signs 2 shooters in this class, I'd be for it. Also, if it would help show the morons that run the program that Stan's "style" is not working and we should have another coach, I'm all for it. If it's just for the sake of losing to another up and coming program, no thanks.
With due respect to your comments about Stan Heath's style of basketball, I believe he is trying to install the motion offense, much like Eddie Sutton's style, within the 35 second time limit to shoot.

I have heard comments that Nolan Richardson's full court press style is exciting and fun to watch.

Understanding that Nolan Richardson has won a National Championship, and Eddie Sutton has not, however, in head to head meeting between Sutton coached teams and Richardson coached  teams, Richardson has never won.

Sutton always counts on his man to man defense, rebounding, and yes, letting to other team fatigue itself for his chances to win, and his been highly successful with it.

We hope that Stan Heath is trying, and can do the same, with his motion offense..

pigfeet

pignatious

Quote from: wrightobe on March 27, 2006, 08:10:03 pm
Quote from: pignatious on March 27, 2006, 07:53:57 pm
With due respect to your comments about Stan Heath's style of basketball, I believe he is trying to install the motion offense, much like Eddie Sutton's style, within the 35 second time limit to shoot.

I have heard comments that Nolan Richardson's full court press style is exciting and fun to watch.

Understanding that Nolan Richardson has won a National Championship, and Eddie Sutton has not, however, in head to head meeting between Sutton coached teams and Richardson coached  teams, Richardson has never won.

Sutton always counts on his man to man defense, rebounding, and yes, letting to other team fatigue itself for his chances to win, and his been highly successful with it.

We hope that Stan Heath is trying, and can do the same, with his motion offense..

That may be what he is trying to do. It's not really working, but you may be right. I think Coach Sutton actually has an offensive game plan and runs a true motion offense. You may have noticed, we have no motion, we set no screens, we have no point guard, therefore the offense is pretty poor. Two teams are in the final four from the SEC, not the Big 10. I think the athletic, up-tempo game works pretty well.
Freedom is never free.

Porky OLeary

Frank is not going to have nolan sitting on missouri's bench at bwa in '07.