Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos was on the list for Alabama...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, August 05, 2017, 08:03:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

//https://alabama.rivals.com/news/offensive-coordinator-hot-board-18

Apparently,  after Lane Kiffin announced his departure,  Alabama wanted Dan Enos;  at least he was on the list at Alabama Rivals.  I am glad their was an SEC no compete in the contract.

In my opinion,  Dan Enos is gold.  What he has done for the Arkansas offense has been nothing short of amazing.  I think he is at least one of the top 5 offensive coordinator's in college football.  Watching some of our games before Dan Enos, and then after,  really made me appreciate what a great OC we have.   If something were to happen, and Bielema was going to leave -  I would hope for Dan Enos to take over.  I would probably pick him out of just about anyone else we could hire.

Our offense will be fun to watch this year!
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

phadedhawg

It will hurt when we lose Enos and I'd spit nails if Bama got him.  However, after I finished kicking a hole in the wall, I'd understand.  it would be an amazing opportunity

go hogues

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 05, 2017, 08:08:00 pm
It will hurt when we lose Enos and I'd spit nails if Bama got him.  However, after I finished kicking a hole in the wall, I'd understand.  it would be an amazing opportunity
Same.

I'd very surprised he's been here as long as he has.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: go hogues on August 05, 2017, 08:33:33 pm
Same.

I'd very surprised he's been here as long as he has.

Well that SEC non compete clause has a lot to do with it

The Hawg Marshal

They might as well get him, they get all the best players they might as well have the best coaches too.

goodguytex

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 05, 2017, 08:45:35 pm
They might as well get him, they get all the best players they might as well have the best coaches too.
Bama is good with pretty much whoever they get calling plays. If bielema does move on, I'd be very happy having Enos as our HC. To me, keeping him here after this season should be our biggest priority. Whoever takes over at QB after AA leaves will benefit from Enos being here tutoring him, and calling the plays. I think we will have a chance to be extremely good for 2018 if the new QB comes in playing anything like AA played in his first year as a signal caller.

twistitup

"What he has done for the Arkansas offense has been nothing short of amazing. "

I'm an Enos fan....but dayyyuuuummmm -  really?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 05, 2017, 08:03:58 pm
//https://alabama.rivals.com/news/offensive-coordinator-hot-board-18

Apparently,  after Lane Kiffin announced his departure,  Alabama wanted Dan Enos;  at least he was on the list at Alabama Rivals.  I am glad their was an SEC no compete in the contract.

In my opinion,  Dan Enos is gold.  What he has done for the Arkansas offense has been nothing short of amazing.  I think he is at least one of the top 5 offensive coordinator's in college football.  Watching some of our games before Dan Enos, and then after,  really made me appreciate what a great OC we have.   If something were to happen, and Bielema was going to leave -  I would hope for Dan Enos to take over.  I would probably pick him out of just about anyone else we could hire.

Our offense will be fun to watch this year!

Not new.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: twistitup on August 05, 2017, 08:55:52 pm

1. Brandon Allen under Jim Chaney compared to Brandon Allen under Dan Enos. That's what Enos brings to our offense.
2. Go back and watch a few Arkansas games from 2014 and see how often the game was lost due to horrible play calling. Remember Chaneys flea flicker on 4th down vs A&M? What about the double reverse with a tight end?! We don't have miscues like that anymore because we have a guy with situational awareness and a high football IQ

I would LOVE for Enos to be the head coach in waiting
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

twistitup

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 05, 2017, 09:06:30 pm
1. Brandon Allen under Jim Chaney compared to Brandon Allen under Dan Enos. That's what Enos brings to our offense.
2. Go back and watch a few Arkansas games from 2014 and see how often the game was lost due to horrible play calling. Remember Chaneys flea flicker on 4th down vs A&M? What about the double reverse with a tight end?! We don't have miscues like that anymore because we have a guy with situational awareness and a high football IQ

I would LOVE for Enos to be the head coach in waiting

I wouldn't disagree....and wouldn't mind Enos being HC

I'm hung up on the word AMAZING - that word is usually saved more important things than an OC

Ex. ARKANSAS BEATS MICHIGAN TO WIN THE National Championsip....I've never heard a Hog Call so loud - THIS IS AMAZING!!

HamSammich

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 05, 2017, 08:40:15 pm

Well that SEC non compete clause has a lot to do with it
Cant they make him like associate head coach or something to get around that?

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: twistitup on August 05, 2017, 09:12:37 pm
I wouldn't disagree....and wouldn't mind Enos being HC

I'm hung up on the word AMAZING - that word is usually saved more important things than an OC

Ex. ARKANSAS BEATS MICHIGAN TO WIN THE National Championsip....I've never heard a Hog Call so loud - THIS IS AMAZING!!

Well, that is what happens when you over analyze every word someone says.   

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 05, 2017, 09:19:12 pm
+1 seems like people look for reasons to be unhappy. Then again, what do I expect, this is hogville  :-\
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

twistitup

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 05, 2017, 09:19:12 pm

I tend to take things literally....my apologies for the over analyzing

Go Hogs - Be Amazing

Paul

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 05, 2017, 08:45:35 pm
. Really?

The Hawg Marshal

buldozer

8 months ago this was news...... back when the article was written, but not today.

oldhawg

Enos is good, but ---- why didn't the offense show up in the second half of the last two games?

STLhawg

Quote from: oldhawg on August 05, 2017, 10:39:40 pm
Enos is good, but ---- why didn't the offense show up in the second half of the last two games?
I was thinking the exact same thing!

HamSammich

Unfortunately Enos wasn't able to block or play linebacker.... but hell lets put it on him... he obviously should have gotten a Cuban birth certificate and enrolled and helped both sides.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: STLhawg on August 05, 2017, 11:07:20 pm
I was thinking the exact same thing!

I don't think you can blame that 'all' on Enos.

greenEGnHAWGS

Wait...Enos called all those Interceptions that AA threw and fumbles by DM?! Fire the guy for Pete sakes! I didn't realize that!!!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HamSammich

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on August 05, 2017, 11:15:02 pm
Wait...Enos called all those Interceptions that AA threw and fumbles by DM?! Fire the guy for Pete sakes! I didn't realize that!!!

Enos actually snuck to the water jug and emptied a bag of quit into it. Needs to go.

STLhawg

I don't recall saying anything about firing Enos, but it is hard for me to praise him after the way his offense played the second half of the last two games.  I was at the Missouri game and the offense was nothing short of pathetic in the second half.  Their defense staff made adjustments at halftime and Enos looked dazed and confused -- and overmatched.

HogMantheIntruder

August 05, 2017, 11:32:15 pm #25 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:48:17 pm by Poppa Tart
I think Dan Enos is happy being among the highest paid and well respected OCs in the country. My opinion has been for a long time now that CDE is on the same offensive mind level as CBP, but he doesn't have the ego. He has said himself that he enjoys being a coordinator over HC, and I think he's smart enough to realize that job satisfaction> more money/prestige.

If, and it's a big if, that is true, then very few schools could even match, much less beat what Arkansas is paying him, and most of those schools are in the SEC, which is why that clause is so important. IMHO, he is on track here to become a million dollar OC. That would put him in very very elite company, and very well could be his next career goal, at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: STLhawg on August 05, 2017, 11:28:50 pm
I don't recall saying anything about firing Enos, but it is hard for me to praise him after the way his offense played the second half of the last two games.  I was at the Missouri game and the offense was nothing short of pathetic in the second half.  Their defense staff made adjustments at halftime and Enos looked dazed and confused -- and overmatched.

Drives me crazy when people try to pin the VA Tech game on Enos. The turnovers literally handed the game to the Hokies. If you want to point at the Mizzou game, ok. I don't know if he decided to play vanilla offense since they had the lead...I don't know. But please, quit trying to pin the Bowl game on Enos.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

STLhawg

All I know is that Enos' amazing offense couldn't score (even once) in the second half of the last two games.   

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 12:27:28 am
All I know is that Enos' amazing offense couldn't score (even once) in the second half of the last two games.
You should read the post directly above you and then go rewatch the second half of that game and tell me again what went wrong with play calling.
   -Harry Solomon

STLhawg

The problem was Enos' amazing offense couldn't score on one single drive.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 12:47:46 am

In the Mizzou game he got us to the redzone 3 times in the second half. If Austin doesn't throw 2 picks and gets FG we win no problem.

Or we win if Sprinkle doesn't drop the TD in the Endzone

You have a much more legit point for the Tech game as we could move the ball well the second half

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 12:47:46 am
You do realize that Dan Enos did not fumble at the goal line right? I mean, I know they're wearing helmets and all, but surely you noticed that he was on the sideline (without helmet-hair, even) when that happened, right? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you do. Do you think he should have foreseen one of our most clutch, sure handed receivers of all time getting a case of the drops? Or is it that you just learned your first statistic and you're having fun throwing it out there over and over again?
   -Harry Solomon

STLhawg

Sure, take a shot at belittling me -- that proves your point!  Does it make you feel like a tough guy?

Sed76

One would have to want to win really bad to take on the OC job under Saban. I have no love for Lane Kiffin but the way Saban treated that guy was terrible. Screaming at him when the team is only up 4 scores. Don't know if the championship rings would be worth the stress and hassle of dealing with that mess constantly.

STLhawg

August 06, 2017, 01:31:54 am #34 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:43:30 am by STLhawg
We had four possessions in the second half that didn't end in a turnover; in those four we gained a grand total of 12 yards.  VT made halftime adjustments, and Enos' amazing offense seemed unable to move the ball.  And it could be argued that their adjustments forced a TO or two -- but I'll give Enos a pass on those. 

As I said before, I don't want Enos fired -- but some here are unrealistically placing him on a very high pedestal.

King Kong

As STLhawg complains, Nick Saben and Kirby Smart have tried their darnnest to get Enos out of that non compete clause

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Sed76 on August 06, 2017, 01:27:05 am
One would have to want to win really bad to take on the OC job under Saban. I have no love for Lane Kiffin but the way Saban treated that guy was terrible. Screaming at him when the team is only up 4 scores. Don't know if the championship rings would be worth the stress and hassle of dealing with that mess constantly.
Agreed. I would've lost my job that day. I'll do pretty much anything my employer requires of me and I can handle criticism from a pissed off boss, but you aren't going to yell at and berate me in front of my friends and family. ESPECIALLY on national TV. Saban showed a lack of respect for his assistants with that move

STLhawg

I guess some don't mind when the Razorbacks are unable to score in the second half of games; I personally don't like it (therefore refuse to call Dan amazing -- at least not yet).  Some here thought Rob Smith was amazing too.  Back to Enos's amazing offense, taking out sacks they rushed for a total of 49 yards on 23 carries in the bowl game against VT.  Anyone else think that is bad?

presidenthog

Quote from: twistitup on August 05, 2017, 08:55:52 pm

Ask Georgia what they think of Chaney. They hate him

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 01:15:42 am
Sure, take a shot at belittling me -- that proves your point!  Does it make you feel like a tough guy?

You belittle yourself by not understanding the two games you are whining about.

Hawghiggs

twistitup

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 06, 2017, 08:41:11 am
Anyone else remember the Auburn game?

Bacons Reb will say 'you just don't understand'

people have amazingly short memories

ricepig

STLhawg

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 05:10:50 amYou belittle yourself by not understanding the two games you are whining about.
So because you cannot make an argument you feel you must personally attack the other person?  That does absolutely nothing to prove your point -- instead it only undermines it in the eyes of rational people.

How is it whining because I refuse to agree that Enos is an amazing OC?  I was asked to elaborate my view for which I have done with various facts in several posts.

Ironically, I like Enos and am very glad he is our OC.  He is orders of magnitude better than Chaney.  But at the same time I don't feel his body of work here has been amazing (for reasons I have already given).

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 09:29:47 am
Which year?

You know what year....c'mon Rice. We are talking Enos - it won't be the Auburn game from '08

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:31:52 am
You know what year....c'mon Rice. We are talking Enos - it won't be the Auburn game from '08

Well, it might be the one from 2015, correct?

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 09:33:58 am
Well, it might be the one from 2015, correct?

The game that comes to most people's mind would be the most recent contest.....the one where we got nationally embarrassed

We scored 3 points

Amazing

3 - 56
Final
Auburn
Tigers
(5-2)

1   2   3   4      Total
Arkansas   0   3   0   0      3
Auburn   21   7   14   14      56

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Sed76 on August 06, 2017, 01:27:05 am

May look like that at a distance but up close it paints a different story. Kiffin got chewed out because after the sweep play was botched he called the player who fumbled the ball stupid. Saying, "stupid players do stupid things." Coach Saban snapped backed at that blame game and stated, "stupid OCs call stupid plays."

He's right, why do you call a sweep play with a sub player just put in and he has to take the snap from the center? High risk and little reward at that point in the ballgame. Mostly you don't throw the players under the bus to protect your own backside. Players hear that crap as well.

And Coach Saban pretty much stays out of the OC's business and lets him do his thing. You may think it, but he doesn't micromanage his coaches.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:39:20 am
The game that comes to most people's mind would be the most recent contest.....the one where we got nationally embarrassed

We scored 3 points

Amazing

3 - 56
Final
Auburn
Tigers
(5-2)

1   2   3   4      Total
Arkansas   0   3   0   0      3
Auburn   21   7   14   14      56

That's the reason you don't base any decision off of a small sample size, correct?

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 09:48:03 am
That's the reason you don't base any decision off of a small sample size, correct?

That's the reason you don't use the word AMAZING to describe a coach's impact on a team.