Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schaeffer Says Mustain May Start

Started by Aftershave, June 19, 2006, 05:21:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aftershave

According to Jim Harris / Ark Times Blog, Rick has written an article for ARSN claiming Mustain is "by far the most accurate passer" in  the summer workouts. Says he will play early & may even start the USC game.

From God's mouth to Schaeffer's ear?

I've read on here that if Mustain starts the USC game then the Hogs are in real trouble.
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

GuvHog

Quote from: Aftershave on June 19, 2006, 05:21:45 pm
According to Jim Harris / Ark Times Blog, Rick has written an article for ARSN claiming Mustain is "by far the most accurate passer" in  the summer workouts. Says he will play early & may even start the USC game.

I've read on here that if Mustain starts the USC game then the Hogs are in real trouble.

This thread should really be interesting. Seems I'm right about Rick after all.
Rick's a lot smarter than some people think.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GrizzledHogFan

You must be picking and choosing what you read then.  I've read plenty of posts (and I happen to agree with them) that say Mustain gives us the best chance to win.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GrizzledHogFan

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GrizzledHogFan

Aftershave

"You must be picking and choosing what you read then"

I said," I've read on here".....NOT...."EVERYONE says"...or..."all I ever hear on this board.."

Read the damn post!

PigPusher

June 19, 2006, 05:53:52 pm #8 Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 06:25:14 pm by PigPusher
Logic dictates, get him on the field. The bar has been raised and we need to get up to that new level.  Win now.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Aftershave on June 19, 2006, 05:50:51 pm

I said," I've read on here".....NOT...."EVERYONE says"...or..."all I ever hear on this board.."

Read the damn post!

And you need to chill out.  You're always extremely hostile in your responses.  Lighten up.

ammohog

If Mitch truly is the best looking QB come Sept 2 he should get the start.  If Mitch and Casey are close coming down the stretch you have to start Casey because of his game experience. With that being said- if Casey isn't getting the job done the switch should be made. The majority of our offensive deficiencies last year were attributable to the failure to make needed changes when it was obvious that they needed to be made!  Our good offensive line and excellent backfield should take some of the pressure off of whoever gets the start.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

piglett06

The quality of our offensive line will tell a lot about Mitch's hitting the field early. If he can be protected his transition will be much easier and immediately more intense.

Patch

Here's another question. Who's decision will it be to start Mustain? Nutt or Gus/A. Wood? If it's Nutt's decision, I don't think there's any way that Mitch starts... and this isn't a Nutt-bashing post. Nutt just has a history of bringing the freshmen along slowly. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogmania on June 19, 2006, 06:32:21 pm

I hate to point this out but what does Shaffer know?  While it could be true I don't think that guy is much of a source on anything other than how many times Frank uses the bathroom each day.  

When Mike says it I may believe it, but if it's Chuck, Shaffer, Henry or any of the other clowns I will have to see it to believe it.

Then why don't you ask Mike if Schaefer's Right? I'll bet Mike Agrees!

JIHawg

Here is Schaffer's quote:
"While Casey Dick, Robert Johnson and Alex Mortensen are the veterans, Mustain has more than held his own. In fact, those who have sneaked a peak at the workouts say Mustain is by far the most accurate. There is no rush and no one is in pads but it is already clear Mustain will quickly enter the hunt to start at quarterback."

What you may not know is, according to WESTHawg, a very reliable poster on Otis and Trey's pay board who has watched these workouts, Johnson just had surgery and is not throwing, Dick is recovering from an injury and under doctors orders to not throw, and Mortensen has been out of town and is not even there.  The only two QB's throwing are Mustain and a walkon, and Mustain is much more accurate than the walkon.

I like Mitch as much as anybody and can't wait for him to begin practice, but it seems our goodly Mr. Schaffer didn't tell the whole story.

GuvHog

Quote from: Patch on June 19, 2006, 06:34:58 pm
Here's another question. Who's decision will it be to start Mustain? Nutt or Gus/A. Wood? If it's Nutt's decision, I don't think there's any way that Mitch starts... and this isn't a Nutt-bashing post. Nutt just has a history of bringing the freshmen along slowly. 

Wake Up Patch, we discussed this till we're blue in the face.
The starting QB will be Chosen by GM & AW, NOT H. Nutt!

GuvHog

Quote from: JIHawg on June 19, 2006, 06:38:45 pm
"While Casey Dick, Robert Johnson and Alex Mortensen are the veterans, Mustain has more than held his own. In fact, those who have sneaked a peak at the workouts say Mustain is by far the most accurate. There is no rush and no one is in pads but it is already clear Mustain will quickly enter the hunt to start at quarterback."

What you may not know is, according to WESTHawg, a very reliable poster on Otis and Trey's pay board who has watched these workouts, Johnson just had surgery and is not throwing, Dick is recovering from an injury and under doctors orders to not throw, and Mortensen has been out of town and is not even there.  The only two QB's throwing are Mustain and a walkon, and Mustain is much more accurate than the walkon.

I like Mitch as much as anybody and can't wait for him to begin practice, but it seems our goodly Mr. Schaffer didn't tell the whole story.

Come On! Rick was only Quoting What other People told him!

PigPusher

Got some really high testosterone on this thread today. :)
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Ugly Uncle

Are "Notshavintillnuttgo"  and "Aftershave" evil twins?
Retired Radio Host

HotRodHog

Thanks for putting the quote in perspective. +1
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

GuvHog

Quote from: PigPusher on June 19, 2006, 06:46:21 pm
Got some really high testosterone on this thread today. :)

Not Really, I'm quite Calm. Just wanted to make a point.

Wooisme

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 19, 2006, 06:41:15 pm

I think that just might be the problem, Govenor.   Far too many of these guys in the media only report what "they've been told"...

You know, if it is really true that Casey Dick and Robert Johnson are NOT throwing and that Alex is AWOL, how is THAT fact NOT relevant in all these "reports" about how much more accurate Mitch is when compared to the other qb's.  Geez...

Why in the world would these "guys" ever wonder why so many Arkansas fans doubt the veracity of what they report or question their intimate relationships with the people about whom they are supposed to be reporting?  
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

mbgrulz

Quote from: ammohog on June 19, 2006, 06:16:50 pm
If Mitch truly is the best looking QB come Sept 2 he should get the start.  If Mitch and Casey are close coming down the stretch you have to start Casey because of his game experience. With that being said- if Casey isn't getting the job done the switch should be made. The majority of our offensive deficiencies last year were attributable to the failure to make needed changes when it was obvious that they needed to be made!  Our good offensive line and excellent backfield should take some of the pressure off of whoever gets the start.
casey played a HALF of ONE season! its not like he's a 2 year starter who is neck and neck with a newbie. casey will make a super back up to mitch, but we have THE GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR on our team now, and putting him in 1/2 way through the season just seems pointless to me. its mitch all the way, or he should make his debut in 07. we want 4 full years of this guy.

personally i think #16 takes the 1st snap vs. USC.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wooisme on June 19, 2006, 07:04:52 pm
Quote from: GUVHOG on June 19, 2006, 06:41:15 pm

I think that just might be the problem, Govenor.   Far too many of these guys in the media only report what "they've been told"...

You know, if it is really true that Casey Dick and Robert Johnson are NOT throwing and that Alex is AWOL, how is THAT fact NOT relevant in all these "reports" about how much more accurate Mitch is when compared to the other qb's.  Geez...

Why in the world would these "guys" ever wonder why so many Arkansas fans doubt the veracity of what they report or question their intimate relationships with the people about whom they are supposed to be reporting?  

Did it Ever Occur to you that Maybe Rick Didn't Know the WHOLE story?
Maybe he was Just Reporting what he Heard.

fineswine

Rick is just a baby bird eating up whatever regurgitation he gets fed.

GuvHog

Quote from: fineswine on June 19, 2006, 07:11:37 pm

Exactly what I figured, Here goes the name calling Again.

Calling All Hogs

Nutt has a more recent history of doing anything to save his rear (i.e. agreeing to an OC). Nutt does not have
another rebuilding year left even if he did discover the fountain of younth that keeps his teams "young" forever.  ;D

His decision will be based on what will generate the most wins this year. Not what will help bring along a young
QB.

GuvHog

Quote from: CallMeHog on June 19, 2006, 07:54:55 pm

Nutt has a more recent history of doing anything to save his rear (i.e. agreeing to an OC). Nutt does not have
another rebuilding year left even if he did discover the fountain of younth that keeps his teams "young" forever.  ;D

His decision will be based on what will generate the most wins this year. Not what will help bring along a young
QB.

Finally! a Voice of Wisdom, Thanks CallMeHog.

Calling All Hogs

Thanks Guvhog. But I'm thinking about changing my name to Not Wearin Aftershave Til Nutt Go!  ;D

PIGINAPOKE

+ 1... Plus some unleaded sunshine added..Would you let Rick place your bets in Vegas on any sport?   Not me! Nice guy, Lives in OZ.

So in a nuttshell, He/Rick,   announces some sporting events,Knows the hogs like his own left foot, But he would pick a lame horse in the gate of Santa Anita because .. IT MAY STILL HOBBLE TO THE FINISH LINE AND WIN!! Sort of  like  the  Razorback  football program . You can toss some glade up in the air to cover the stench, But you can not fool the knowing.

Was Randy Rainwater horse from yelling for Taylor to win,Or trying to git Dale to wave at him? I have the espn radio  station on when i get in the truck leaving work. Only to make it 2 miles before I just can not....Stand ...The Dr. Pepper bet,six pack joke..Off these chumps........It is way old news.New blood needed here in NWA.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

HatfieldHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 19, 2006, 07:08:12 pm
casey played a HALF of ONE season! its not like he's a 2 year starter who is neck and neck with a newbie. casey will make a super back up to mitch, but we have THE GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR on our team now, and putting him in 1/2 way through the season just seems pointless to me. its mitch all the way, or he should make his debut in 07. we want 4 full years of this guy.

I readily admit that I am one of those guys that thinks that if Mitch has to start the first game vs. USC, that we are headed for trouble.  This thought that he knows the college game vs. others who have practiced it and played in it all year long is just ludicrous.  Learing how to read the coverages that the SEC and USC are gonna throw at him is the issue.  If he hands it off 39 times the first game and throws the "out" pattern and screens for the remainder of the snaps, then he would make it just fine, but if you think that you'll see him going across the middle, and deep that first game, we'd be asking the kid to give up 5 picks in his first game, and that would mean big time loss, and confidence broken Mitch.

That's just some of my theory about this issue, I'll probably get bashed by some, "play him early" guys, but both of us will find out Sept. 2nd.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HOGLUVIN

Nutt will play the best QB out of self preservation. Its his best weapon right now.

ammohog

June 19, 2006, 11:39:40 pm #32 Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:43:29 pm by ammohog
Quote from: HatfieldHog on June 19, 2006, 10:48:47 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on June 19, 2006, 07:08:12 pm

I readily admit that I am one of those guys that thinks that if Mitch has to start the first game vs. USC, that we are headed for trouble.  This thought that he knows the college game vs. others who have practiced it and played in it all year long is just ludicrous.  Learing how to read the coverages that the SEC and USC are gonna throw at him is the issue.  If he hands it off 39 times the first game and throws the "out" pattern and screens for the remainder of the snaps, then he would make it just fine, but if you think that you'll see him going across the middle, and deep that first game, we'd be asking the kid to give up 5 picks in his first game, and that would mean big time loss, and confidence broken Mitch.

That's just some of my theory about this issue, I'll probably get bashed by some, "play him early" guys, but both of us will find out Sept. 2nd.

See ya
A confidence broken Mitch is the last thing this team needs.  Mitch should only start if he is the BEST man for the job. mbgrulz- you said "Casey only started for half a season", and Mitch is the GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR so you should start Mitch. Casey proved he could keep our offense RUNNING better than anyone else on the team against good COLLEGE defenses! Mitch is the most talented and highly acclaimed QB to come out of Arkansas in a very long time- probably ever. I want to see him running the offense as much as anyone, but I have to agree with HatfieldHog on this one.  We need Mitch to work his magic when he is ready and no sooner. USC is not the best team to transition a high school QB to college level. I say start Casey against USC and by half time, maybe sooner, we'll know if it's time to play MM.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

SwinerBock

And all of us here on an internet board are different from Rick how exactly? 
Besides the haircut, that is?  I guess that it also may help some that Rick has our brand new OC on speed dial as he proved today...but let's not let facts get in the way of preconceived notions...

Richard_white

Quote from: SwinerBock on June 19, 2006, 11:48:06 pm

And all of us here on an internet board are different from Rick how exactly? 
Besides the haircut, that is?  I guess that it also may help some that Rick has our brand new OC on speed dial as he proved today...but let's not let facts get in the way of preconceived notions...

Wouldn't you think he would have his number since Rick does work for the UofA?

Aftershave

I know it's easier & more satisfying to lecture me rather than admitting you either didn't read my post OR you wanted to act like a big shot. Maybe you need to reread your response to my post. Sounds pretty hostile to me.
Quote from: gmb_79 on June 19, 2006, 05:58:25 pm
Quote from: Aftershave on June 19, 2006, 05:50:51 pm

Read the damn post!

And you need to chill out.  You're always extremely hostile in your responses.  Lighten up.

mikeirwin

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 19, 2006, 06:36:44 pm
Quote from: Hogmania on June 19, 2006, 06:32:21 pm

I hate to point this out but what does Shaffer know?  While it could be true I don't think that guy is much of a source on anything other than how many times Frank uses the bathroom each day.  

When Mike says it I may believe it, but if it's Chuck, Shaffer, Henry or any of the other clowns I will have to see it to believe it.

Then why don't you ask Mike if Schaefer's Right? I'll bet Mike Agrees!

Unlike some, I have honored the ban on watching summer workouts so with my own eyes I know nothing. However the rumor is (not from Rick) that Mitch is the only scholarship QB working out much so far this summer. RJ has an excuse with his surgery. I have no idea about the others but if I were trying to keep a freshman from taking my job it wouldn't make much sense to let him come in and outwork me. Especially if there is a talent mismatch involved.

Extra Point

I can't help but get a little tickled about this conversation of who should start given the underlying arguments most use.

Here are things I think we can all mostly agree upon...

1) In LAST year's system (which has been scrapped by Gus and Alex), ROJO struggled and Casey came on late.

2) Gus and Alex (along with Nutt and Markuson) have pooled their knowledge and designed an offensive system none of the current QB's have run in HS or college.

3) During spring drills, NO ONE was even remotely impressive or effective at the QB spot with a mere skeleton of the new offensive plan in place.

4) Mustain made it clear in so many words that if he is redshirted, he will stay that way for '06.

Therefore...

How anyone can state there is a "front runner" at this point is beyond me.  Casey would be the natural frontrunner if Nutt's playbook were not in the trash at this point.  But we all know that's not the case.

Casey and ROJO bring live experience and knowledge of opponents to the table.  Mitch brings superior skills and a well established level of communication with Gus, the OC.

To me, who starts on 9/2 is somewhat irrelevent.  It's who is effective and finishes that should be the primary discussion.

Wooisme

Extra...

With clarity of thought and logic like you demonstrate in your post above, how can you possibly have -5 Karma??? 

+1 to you.   :razorback:

Extra Point

Quote from: Wooisme on June 20, 2006, 07:05:18 am
Extra...

With clarity of thought and logic like you demonstrate in your post above, how can you possibly have -5 Karma??? 

+1 to you.   :razorback:

LOL...I get the smite being outspoken about playing all the games in Fayetteville.  I also get a little emotional from time to time.

It's kind of like admitting you are either Dem or GOP.  Some out there are going to hate on you no matter what.

dana caldwell

"I readily admit that I am one of those guys that thinks that if Mitch has to start the first game vs. USC, that we are headed for trouble.  This thought that he knows the college game vs. others who have practiced it and played in it all year long is just ludicrous.  Learing how to read the coverages that the SEC and USC are gonna throw at him is the issue.  If he hands it off 39 times the first game and throws the "out" pattern and screens for the remainder of the snaps, then he would make it just fine, but if you think that you'll see him going across the middle, and deep that first game, we'd be asking the kid to give up 5 picks in his first game, and that would mean big time loss, and confidence broken Mitch."

this has been my line of thinking. sort of. sometimes. yes. no.

the more i read, tho, the more i'm thinking the opposite. especially if many of his competitors are broken or don't care enough to be out there and he is looking quite sharp and picking things up nicely.

i agree with much of your quote about the speed of the college game and the very real possibility of him having a horrific start. however, and this is a big HOWEVER, he'll be running -- for the most part, i assume -- his HS offense and grooming under his HS coach (along with wood, who i think was a great hire). and he should have a fantastic running game to keep defenses very honest. he'll also be dealing with malzahn during games, a more calming in-game presence than nutt.

i'm leaning toward mustain gunning from the get-go.

Conway Cool Daddy

I agree with Dana.
I think Mitch will be as ready as any of the other QBs having experience in this offense. I'm a huge Casey Dick fan and I hope he starts, but if Mitch is the best we have then put him out there.

HoopS

I think Mitch starts.  I also plan to wait and see what he does when Herring is firing live bullets at him.   I think he has an advantage over most in-coming Freshman QBs because of Gus.  Even if the system isn't 100% HUNH, he will still have some comfort in Gus.  And vice-versa.

PigPusher

Remember too that Coach Malzahn said Mitch understands the game of football as good as any person he has known. This surely will be a big plus in his ability to adapt.  Then too, we must remember we have on our team now the number one QB in the nation.  The old way of thinking about the members on our team and their abilities just does not apply here.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 19, 2006, 06:39:02 pm

Yeah but, you never know with the "veto" power.  Just like how at the last minute he decided to green shirt the RBs for the spring game.  I'm not arguing whether that was a good or poor decision, but that it was his decision.  He could similarly get down to a week/day/10 mins before kickoff and say... "Man, I just don't know... I think we better stick with Casey to start out..."

Hawgbrew

I am pretty sure Shaeffer was just giving his opinion.  Rick has been around Razorback Football for a long time and has seen alot of QB's come and go.  Rick did some play by play on Springdales games the last couple of years and has seen what Mustain can do.  Malzahn has said the best QB will start, well from what I have seen and unless Mitch really tanks when practice starts, I think Mitch will start also.

GuvHog

Quote from: abostian on June 20, 2006, 09:23:49 am

Yeah but, you never know with the "veto" power.  Just like how at the last minute he decided to green shirt the RBs for the spring game.  I'm not arguing whether that was a good or poor decision, but that it was his decision.  He could similarly get down to a week/day/10 mins before kickoff and say... "Man, I just don't know... I think we better stick with Casey to start out..."

H. Nutt made a mistake with the "Green Jerseys" And Admitted it piblicly on TV.
He was afraid the Star players would get hurt.

The "VETO" thing Won't happen. HDN will ADMINISTRATE and let the coaches
coach. Get over it and move on.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogmania on June 20, 2006, 10:24:43 am
Quote from: GUVHOG on June 20, 2006, 10:09:57 am

He has never "administrated" before so why would he start now?  Are we suppose to take your word for it? I don't think I will get over it until I see it happening on the field, until then it is suspect.

Why would he start now? That's a silly question.
Because he wants to win, that's why!

Wooisme

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 20, 2006, 10:09:57 am

Gee, Guv.... I sure hope you're right about the "VETO THING" but that is a mighty long (not to mention thin) limb you're climbing out on.  

"WhatMeWorry,Houston?"  has been known to "dance the side-step" when it suits him so I hope you're still working with a net.

AND....

Does anyone else find it strangely familiar that all the "happy talk" about quarterbacks during Spring Practice now appears to be just that....happy talk. Deja vu, all over again.  If these reports are true, we have one (RJ) recovering from the same surgery he had last summer and two others simply M.I.A.

Since noises are already being made about those qb's not working out in  Fayetteville...i.e. "if I was dem, I sure wouldn't let the more talented freshman out work me!" etc.   :P

When will we read in the Arkansas media that the "experienced" qb's above "feel" that they are already "also~rans" in the battle for starting quarterback this fall?

We ought to start a pool on which sunshine, lollipops, and rainbow artist will write/break "that" story (from undisclosed sources, of course).   :-X  

HOGLUVIN

June 20, 2006, 10:46:47 am #49 Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:18:04 am by HOGLUVIN
I respectfully disagree with Hatfield Hog . I dont think that you can break Mitch with some picks.

If he knows going in that we are going to use every formation and set that we have at our disposal, and that as a result, is EXPECTED to have complication, then no he wouldn't.

You make sure that he knows what the realistic expectations are. Let him play.