Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mathew Hulse Kicker From Jenks, OK Talks With Hogville.net

Started by The Recruiting Guy, June 08, 2006, 02:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

It was an interesting coincidence this afternoon to have someone ask about any additional kickers the U of A was looking at.  Recently I got a little tip that the coaches at Arkansas had shown some interest in another Jenks Player.  We just had just gotten a commit from Tim Dial, and when they were down to check on him, they took a look at Jenk's kicker, Mathew Hulse.  I had a chance to talk to him this week and here is what he had to say:

TRG:  Mathew, what schools have shown some interest so far?

Mathew: Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and North Texas have all shown interest so far.  Arkansas showed interest when Houston and Gus were in town a few weeks ago talking to Coach Trimble.  They asked to see me kick and were impressed enough to offer me a chance to come out to Houston's camp this summer.

TRG:  How long have you been a kicker?

Mathew: I started in the 5th grade, and has been coached by Jason Staurovsky, a kicker who played for the New England Patriots in the 1990's, which has really helped my fundamentals.

TRG:  When did you decide to focus on the kicking aspect of football?

Mathew: I really started focusing on the kicking aspect on football my freshman year.

TRG: What are your plans for the summer?

Mathew:  I have several camps I am looking forward to attending, including Houston Nutt's camp July 22-23rd.  I am also going to be attending a camp at Kansas, the University of Tulsa, and one at Oklahoma State.

TRG:  What are some of the most important aspects you are looking for in a team for your collegiate career?

Mathew: For me, I want something close to home.  It doesn't have to be too close, but I want it to be within driving distance so my friends and family can come see me play.  I would really enjoy it being in a strong conference.  Arkansas plays in the SEC and that's a big draw to me.  Another thing is the facilities, Arkansas has some of the best facility I have ever seen and that's a big factor as well. The thing about their facilities is; they have the best in every sport.  Their baseball, basketball, football stadiums are unmatched.  That really impressed me when I had a chance to see it first hand.  Finally, I would want to play for a team with a strong chance to make it to bowl games consistently.

TRG: Are you open to looking at schools out of state?

Mathew: Yea as long as they are not too far of a drive.

TRG:  What statistics of yours are you most proud of?

Mathew: Last year I was 100% on my field goals, and 100% on my Extra points.  I am very proud of my fundamentals and my consistency.  I feel they give me the confidence to step into any game situation and know that I will be able to make a game winning field goal when called upon. 

TRG:  When is your next scheduled visit to Arkansas? 

Mathew: I will be at the Houston Nutt camp on July 22 and 23rd however I plan to try and attend a couple of games next year.  I loved the atmosphere at the Junior day game and can just imagine what a large scale SEC game is like.

TRG:  How are the Jenks Trojans going to do this coming season?

Mathew: It's hard to say, but we are stacked this year.  I have no doubt we will make a tough run for the state championship.  We have a ton of returning talent, and the under classmen are really stepping up where they are needed to help fill some spots.  This team is going be hard to beat.

Well there you have it.  This kid comes from a great family and was a pleasure to talk to.  He has a solid head on his shoulders and honestly Arkansas would be better off to have 85 on the team just like him.  We will keep in touch with him as he goes through the recruiting process to see how things develop but I feel this kid would be an awesome addition to the team.

HOGLUVIN

Mathew: Last year I was 100% on my field goals, and 100% on my Extra points.  I am very proud of my fundamentals and my consistency.  I feel they give me the confidence to step into any game situation and know that I will be able to make a game winning field goal when called upon.

Nice!

Tomhog™

Call me a koinkidink....  I just hadn't heard anything about a FG kicker this year and really was curious as to what the coaches were doing about one.  Man, if we don't land Tejada, this guy from Jenks would be killer!  Did he not give his longest range FG?

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Tomcat on June 08, 2006, 02:44:34 pm
Call me a koinkidink....  I just hadn't heard anything about a FG kicker this year and really was curious as to what the coaches were doing about one.  Man, if we don't land Tejada, this guy from Jenks would be killer!  Did he not give his longest range FG?

Get bouf em.

The Recruiting Guy

Well good thing you asked when you did.

I called him up and he told me he hit a 55 yarder in front of Coach Nutt and Coach Malzahn a couple of weeks ago.  He said he had to run, he was leaving to go to the camp in Kansas this weekend. 

We will keep in touch.

Tomhog™

55?  When's the last time we've had a COLLEGE player at the UA would could do that?  Funny how we don't have one, but two strong kickers in the same class interested in us.  It's been YEARS since we've had one.  The travesty of it all...............................

Hawgzilla

But he says he wants to play on a team that goes to bowl games......Puts us at the bottom of the list,Thanks Houston...... :-\

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Hawgzilla on June 08, 2006, 04:07:33 pm

But he says he wants to play on a team that goes to bowl games......Puts us at the bottom of the list,Thanks Houston...... :-\

With a good kicker, we would have been in a bowl game last year.

Tomhog™

I believe our days of gutter balls are over starting this season.  WE'll be bowling for the next few years AT LEAST!

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Tomcat on June 08, 2006, 04:14:49 pm

I believe our days of gutter balls are over starting this season.  WE'll be bowling for the next few years AT LEAST!

Im guessing 4 years at least! ;)

SultanofSwine

I make a motion that we offer both kickers full rides.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 08, 2006, 02:48:45 pm

Get bouf em.
Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 08, 2006, 04:22:23 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on June 08, 2006, 04:33:39 pm
Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 08, 2006, 04:22:23 pm

I second the motion...

Think we want a decent kicker ?

Swino

He sounds like a kicker version of Mitch Mustain.  Awesome.

hydrophonic

Was he Jenks' kicker last year?

Because I was watching the game that the below post is about and can vouch for it's accuracy:

Quote from: TulsaHog on September 10, 2005, 05:32:47 pm
I saw the Jenks kicker against Union on Thursday night and he, on a kickoff, kicked one out of the field of play.  What I mean by that is he kicked it into the stands on a kickoff.  Through the endzone and past the turf, into the grass beyond the fence.  I'll take him.

WOW
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,24761.msg259158.html#msg259158

But, Oklahawg - who seems to know his stuff - says this:
Quote from: Oklahawg on September 10, 2005, 09:20:39 am
I really want Jenks' kicker, Steve Woodward. He has serious talent, and comes with a built-in coach. His dad was a great pro soccer player for the Tulsa Roughnecks in the 1980s. He camped at UA and has some interest in the Hogs.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,24761.msg258860.html#msg258860

So what gives?  Are you telling me that Jenks had a kicker with that kind of range sitting on the bench?

BTW, +1 TRG.  Thanks for posting here.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

TulsaHogFan

We actually got Woodwards son last year if I am not mistaken and I believe they were trying to get him to walk on.

Unfortunatly he is not going to be eligible from what I hear. From what I hear he is a bright kid too. But no this kicker is starting this year.

hydrophonic

"The future sucks." "Change it."

Oklahawg

TGF, I hadn't heard anything on Woodward's academics. If true, its good info and sad info at the same time.

Hulse was primarily the punter for Jenks. He went to a kicker's camp (invite only) in Vegas and finished in the top clump (I think it was top 5 of 35, but could be wrong).

Folks, we need a punter AND a placekicker. Offering Tejeda and Hulse is not a stretch.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SultanofSwine

What are the odds of either getting a schollie though? Damn frustrating to see us give away point due to lack of confidence in our kicker. I also agree we need to get another solid punter in the flow.

TulsaHogFan

hog caller

make it two please.things just look better in pairs. youknow butts boobs and beers

hog caller

make it two please .things look better in pairs you know butts, boobs, and beers.

hogfan25

this is great and all, but i'm afraid you guys fail to see the big picture here. just because we don't offer a kicker a full schollie doesn't mean we don't recruit them. has anyone even done research on the kicker we picked up this year? not only did he attend the same invite only camp in vegas that hulse did, but he performed better. was ranked 3rd nationally his junior year and 12th nationally his senior year. tied for first on kickoff competition, and guess who he tied with...the number one kicker in the nation who just happens to be going to TEXAS. also, this kid hit a 50 yard field goal as a sophomore....AND....turned down a full schollie offer from Ohio to come to Arkansas. Visit the link below if you guys want to read it for yourself. So forget Tejada and Hulse...we have a kicker this class that is better than both.

//http://www.chrissailerkicking.com

Kilgor

Dan,

I hope you can be our answer to our problems at kicker and earn a full scholly here.  However, the Hogs need to protect themselves by signing other good kickers as well.  May the best man win!  Good luck!
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Tomhog™

What is the guys name and why has no one mentioned it anywhere?  I haven't heard it on DTS or on Sportswrap...  ???

Dan Bailey.  I finally found it...

Kilgor

It says you tied for 28th place in the kickoff comp.  Am I missing something?  I am NOT trying to run you down.  Lord knows we need someone to step up for the Hogs at kicker.  If you turned down a full scholly to Ohio to walk on at the U of A, then you are a true Hog.  :razorback:

http://www.chrissailerkicking.com/index_content/2006/senior_ko.htm 

Kilgor

Ahh, I see.  Maybe that Hunter Lawrence guy is on steroids?  Sure gained a ton of distance from Jr to Sr year. 
I wouldn't put it past a horn.   :puke:

Keep us informed about how your summer is going and if it looks like you'll get playing time.   :razorback:

oldfart

hey THF... where is your swimming pool?

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on June 08, 2006, 08:22:05 pm
We actually got Woodwards son last year if I am not mistaken and I believe they were trying to get him to walk on.

Unfortunatly he is not going to be eligible from what I hear. From what I hear he is a bright kid too. But no this kicker is starting this year.

ste4236

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 08, 2006, 09:54:51 pm
TGF, I hadn't heard anything on Woodward's academics. If true, its good info and sad info at the same time.

Hulse was primarily the punter for Jenks. He went to a kicker's camp (invite only) in Vegas and finished in the top clump (I think it was top 5 of 35, but could be wrong).

Folks, we need a punter AND a placekicker. Offering Tejeda and Hulse is not a stretch.
Guys, I just graduated from Jenks this past year and have grown up following the Jenks Dynasty since I was in Kindergarten. Matt Hulse was not our punter last season nor the year before. Steven Woodward (top 2 kickers in the state) started the season as the PK, as he had since freshman year. He was a little rocky at the beginning of his senior year, then he ran into some trouble and Hulse stepped up HUGE for us this year. But Hulse never really punted much. When Woodward couldnt punt well, we started using our QB, Mark Ginther, as the punter. Ben Cutten punted the 2 years prior to that. Hulse is a buddy of mine and would be a great addition to the Razorback football team, but don't forget who we just signed... Dan Bailey. Bailey was arguably better than Woodward and he's coming from a small private school in Yukon, OK. I am very happy that Bailey hasn't been over looked because I have been hearing about him from my friend out in Yukon since our freshman year. Hulse would be great, dont get me wrong, but I am very happy with Bailey.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

The Coletrain

Quote from: ste4236 on June 14, 2006, 04:24:49 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on June 08, 2006, 09:54:51 pm

Guys, I just graduated from Jenks this past year and have grown up following the Jenks Dynasty since I was in Kindergarten. Matt Hulse was not our punter last season nor the year before. Steven Woodward (top 2 kickers in the state) started the season as the PK, as he had since freshman year. He was a little rocky at the beginning of his senior year, then he ran into some trouble and Hulse stepped up HUGE for us this year. But Hulse never really punted much. When Woodward couldnt punt well, we started using our QB, Mark Ginther, as the punter. Ben Cutten punted the 2 years prior to that. Hulse is a buddy of mine and would be a great addition to the Razorback football team, but don't forget who we just signed... Dan Bailey. Bailey was arguably better than Woodward and he's coming from a small private school in Yukon, OK. I am very happy that Bailey hasn't been over looked because I have been hearing about him from my friend out in Yukon since our freshman year. Hulse would be great, dont get me wrong, but I am very happy with Bailey.

Good info, brother.  Nothing like insider info.  And one more informed person that's high on Bailey.  Gotta like that.  Welcome to the board, too. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

J.A.Y.

I don't care who they are, where they are from and what they are ranked. I want someone who wants to be a HOG, and who can kick the d@#$ ball!
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

hog caller

what kind of ride a toyota or a corvette these would be full to ride in .

sorry guys just couldn't resist

hope we getr both of them. he may have kicked a 55 yarder in front of hdn ans GM but he was not in front of 70,00 scr4aming fans. it makes a difference.

ste4236

No problem Coletrain... now we just gotta work on you being a Cardinals fan  ;)
...and on the matter of Timmy Dial- Bravo! He's a strong safety build in my opinion. I can't believe that the Arkansas scouts passed up on JC Forrester (MLB from Jenks) at combines this past spring... definitely will be one of the best in Oklahoma this fall.

Yes, I'm new to these forums, I am used to pounding my head full of knowledge of HS payers all around the state of Oklahoma on the forum that I run along with another one... I guess I'm gonna need to get used to the college scence since I'll be at the U of A this season.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University