Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attn: People close to the football situation. What convinces you guys that

Started by idochog, March 25, 2006, 10:23:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

HDN and Markuson will not interfere and screw up what Woods/Mahlzan are trying to do.

I want to know what you are seeing or hearing that makes you believe these guys wont screw it up.

Is Jim Lindsey watching the situation?  Do they have someone inside the football team reporting to them?

Markuson/HDN's ego about offense is gonna be a big problem IMO.
I love Jesus!

pseudorabies

The problem with Lindsey running things is that he is not around enough.  Yeah, he is probably around the Broyles Complex more than Broyles and thats not saying much.  He is probably consulted on the larger things but not the day to day stuff.

My prediction is that Dale and his cronies are going to keep screwing up since it seems they are never going to get anything right.  My hope is that Malzahn and Wood have the balls to stand up to them.

razorback3072

This is my opinion and it's what I have posted before on this subject.  I think people are still overestimating Nutt's ego and underestimating Gus's personality.  Nutt wants to be a successful coach wherever he is.  It's in his best interest to do whatever it takes to have a successful season to further his career.  It may be the belief around here, whether it's true or not, that he was forced to make these hires.  However, nationally that is not the case.  Nutt is the one that is being reported as making this decision and being made fun of by people across the country for hiring a HS Coach as OC.  If he does "sabotage" Gus so he can say "I told you so" who looks like the idiot?  He does for hiring him.  If Gus is successful, then Nutt looks like a genius for hiring him and other programs will see that and look at Nutt's "willingness to accept help" as a huge selling point for trying to hire him.  Don't expect Gus to solely install his offense but there will be a significant portion of it installed as well as other parts from other coaches.  I think as the players get used to his offense you will see it implemented more and more in the years ahead.  As far as the playcalling goes, Nutt has everything to gain by letting Gus handle the duties and everything to lose by interfering.  Gus's job is safe regardless of the outcome of the season.  Nutt's isn't. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

mj4president

LOL yall are just saying this to make an excuse in case the O doesnt perform like you think it will. If it does succeed (which i hope it will) yall will be kissing gus and woods feet but if it doesnt yall will say nutt messed up the offense. Many times it is not the coach. No one hardly ever blames the players.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

mj4president

He got Gus to get Mustain and the rest of the springdale crew. How do yall not know that??
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: mj4president on March 25, 2006, 10:35:53 pm
He got Gus to get Mustain and the rest of the springdale crew. How do yall not know that??
Who?  Nutt?
Are you insane?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorback3072

Because that's not the only reason he was hired.  Gus was approached about a job at the UofA about 3 years ago but he turned it down because "the timing wasn't right"-his words.  You don't hire a coach just to get his kids no matter how good they are.  What happens if they get hurt, transfer or leave early, then you are stuck with the coach.  Fire him and it will be obvious that was the only reason you hired him.  Has NCAA investigation written all over it then. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:34:30 pm
This is my opinion and it's what I have posted before on this subject.  I think people are still overestimating Nutt's ego and underestimating Gus's personality.  Nutt wants to be a successful coach wherever he is.  It's in his best interest to do whatever it takes to have a successful season to further his career.  It may be the belief around here, whether it's true or not, that he was forced to make these hires.  However, nationally that is not the case.  Nutt is the one that is being reported as making this decision and being made fun of by people across the country for hiring a HS Coach as OC.  If he does "sabotage" Gus so he can say "I told you so" who looks like the idiot?  He does for hiring him.  If Gus is successful, then Nutt looks like a genius for hiring him and other programs will see that and look at Nutt's "willingness to accept help" as a huge selling point for trying to hire him.  Don't expect Gus to solely install his offense but there will be a significant portion of it installed as well as other parts from other coaches.  I think as the players get used to his offense you will see it implemented more and more in the years ahead.  As far as the playcalling goes, Nutt has everything to gain by letting Gus handle the duties and everything to lose by interfering.  Gus's job is safe regardless of the outcome of the season.  Nutt's isn't. 

You can't put limits on Dale's ego.  And I would be willing to bet you that if you put him on a lie dector test you would find that he still thinks he doesn't need an OC. 

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:39:52 pm

Because that's not the only reason he was hired.  Gus was approached about a job at the UofA about 3 years ago but he turned it down because "the timing wasn't right"-his words.  You don't hire a coach just to get his kids no matter how good they are.  What happens if they get hurt, transfer or leave early, then you are stuck with the coach.  Fire him and it will be obvious that was the only reason you hired him.  Has NCAA investigation written all over it then. 

There is nothing illegal by hiring a recruits coach.

HatfieldHog

I think that Nutt has a personality on his staff now that is bigger than himself.  In Arkansas, Malzan has become somewhat of a "folk hero."  Which translates into the fact that if we see more of the same old same old.... that the people of Arkansas, and the administration, will know that it is Nutt's fault rather than Malzan's.  Thus, it endangers Nutt, much more than it does Malzan.  Simply put, Malzan is not a guy that HDN can just "run off."

That's the way that I see it.     See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: mj4president on March 25, 2006, 10:34:35 pm
LOL yall are just saying this to make an excuse in case the O doesnt perform like you think it will. If it does succeed (which i hope it will) yall will be kissing gus and woods feet but if it doesnt yall will say nutt messed up the offense. Many times it is not the coach. No one hardly ever blames the players.

Ummmm....Nutt does quite regularly.
Retired Radio Host

razorback3072

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:40:20 pm
You can't put limits on Dale's ego.  And I would be willing to bet you that if you put him on a lie dector test you would find that he still thinks he doesn't need an OC. 

you're probably right but I still think people are underestimating Gus's role in this.  No way he takes this job without knowing he has job security and autonomy as OC and no way he is going to sit back and take any crap but he's also smart enough to know he doesn't know it all and will accept suggestions from others but he will have the final say.   He's as smart as they come and you can bet that he has paid attention to the last several years with regards to HDN's refusal to name an OC.  Bottom line is HDN may have been forced to hire Gus but he could have pulled a Hatfield and refused to make a change.  Whether anyone likes him or not, it would be career suicide for him to not let this play out with Gus calling the plays. 

mj4president

In nutt's case you do hire a hs coach to get his players.
1. Mitch Mustain- Top QB In the nation
2. Bring in top recruits that could turn a program around
3. Keep your job longer. With a promising class coming in it would be hard to fire him.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: mj4president on March 25, 2006, 10:50:17 pm
In nutt's case you do hire a hs coach to get his players.
1. Mitch Mustain- Top QB In the nation
2. Bring in top recruits that could turn a program around
3. Keep your job longer. With a promising class coming in it would be hard to fire him.
1.  Mustain almost left BECAUSE of Nutt
2.  He has NOT been doing this
3.  It will be easy to fire him

So did he send you here, are you related to him, go to church with him..what?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorback3072

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:41:49 pm

Didn't say there was.  Just saying it could cause a problem if you hire a coach and get his players then fire him if they leave, etc.  There wasn't anything wrong with Adebayo's situation either but look what happened.  This is the NCAA we are talking about.

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:49:12 pm

you're probably right but I still think people are underestimating Gus's role in this.  No way he takes this job without knowing he has job security and autonomy as OC and no way he is going to sit back and take any crap but he's also smart enough to know he doesn't know it all and will accept suggestions from others but he will have the final say.   He's as smart as they come and you can bet that he has paid attention to the last several years with regards to HDN's refusal to name an OC.  Bottom line is HDN may have been forced to hire Gus but he could have pulled a Hatfield and refused to make a change.  Whether anyone likes him or not, it would be career suicide for him to not let this play out with Gus calling the plays. 

I think Gus got a similar contract to Herring's 3 year deal.  Gus is running the offense but Dale is still the HC and has final say.  Had Dale had an out after last season he would have been gone.  NO ONE was interested in him, that's why he is here another year.

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:52:35 pm
Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:41:49 pm

Didn't say there was.  Just saying it could cause a problem if you hire a coach and get his players then fire him if they leave, etc.  There wasn't anything wrong with Adebayo's situation either but look what happened.  This is the NCAA we are talking about.

apples and oranges. 

idochog

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:53:03 pm
Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:49:12 pm

you're probably right but I still think people are underestimating Gus's role in this.  No way he takes this job without knowing he has job security and autonomy as OC and no way he is going to sit back and take any crap but he's also smart enough to know he doesn't know it all and will accept suggestions from others but he will have the final say.   He's as smart as they come and you can bet that he has paid attention to the last several years with regards to HDN's refusal to name an OC.  Bottom line is HDN may have been forced to hire Gus but he could have pulled a Hatfield and refused to make a change.  Whether anyone likes him or not, it would be career suicide for him to not let this play out with Gus calling the plays. 

I think Gus got a similar contract to Herring's 3 year deal.  Gus is running the offense but Dale is still the HC and has final say.  Had Dale had an out after last season he would have been gone.  NO ONE was interested in him, that's why he is here another year.

Heres hoping Gus does well enough to cause HDN's stock to rise so he can take his sideshow elsewhere.
I love Jesus!

razorback3072

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:53:03 pm

I think Gus saw what the potential problems with HDN and Markuson would be and that's why he made the demand that he be allowed to stay on the field instead of upstairs.  HDN does have the final say but if he starts mettling too much, I would expect some fireworks at some point whether we know about them or not.  If HDN does override Gus on plays and the team isn't winning, he's gone midseason, IMO.  That's why I think he will stay out of the way for the most part.  Whether he wants to stay here for the longterm or parlay this into another job somewhere, it's in his best interest to do whatever it takes to let this team succeed.

idochog

Any chance or hope Markuson gets replaced by the fall w/ Don Struebing?
I love Jesus!

razorback3072

Quote from: idochog on March 25, 2006, 11:08:14 pm
Any chance or hope Markuson gets replaced by the fall w/ Don Struebing?

We could only hope but I don't see it happening unless it is done over HDN's head.

mikeirwin

Gus was approached about a job at the UofA about 3 years ago but he turned it down because "the timing wasn't right"-his words. 
I have no idea where you got that. Gus was TURNED down, not the other way around.
Also he approached Nutt about the job not the other way around.

idochog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 25, 2006, 11:11:20 pm
Gus was approached about a job at the UofA about 3 years ago but he turned it down because "the timing wasn't right"-his words. 
I have no idea where you got that. Gus was TURNED down, not the other way around.

Word I heard was that HDN was thinking about hiring him but then Markuson shot it down and then Witke was hired.
I love Jesus!

mikeirwin

I've heard that too but there's no way to confirm it. If it did happen sure makes for an interesting situation now doesn't it.

pseudorabies

Quote from: idochog on March 25, 2006, 11:15:12 pm

Word I heard was that HDN was thinking about hiring him but then Markuson shot it down and then Witke was hired.

Yep, thats what I heard also.  Markuson said his gimmick offense would never work or something to that effect.

razorback3072

What I took from things I heard then and recently in interviews and other reports was that Gus had a coaching opportunity at the UofA but things weren't right.  I remember Gus referring to that in an interview right after he was hired and his words were "the timing wasn't right."  Whether that was because things happened the way you said they did or not I don't know.  I will defer to your take, Mike, since you are in a better position to know than I am, but if it did happen with Markuson interfering then it sounded like Gus was trying to deflect anything that would bring that back up.

idochog

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 11:19:14 pm
Quote from: idochog on March 25, 2006, 11:15:12 pm

Yep, thats what I heard also.  Markuson said his gimmick offense would never work or something to that effect.

If true, it would suck to be Markuson now.  How ironic as well that essentially Gus is his boss on offense. 

To me, Markusons coaching is a gimmick.  How the heck can the guy be here 7 years and we still dont have an offensive line that has ever pass-blocked at a decent level.
I love Jesus!

razorback3072

Quote from: idochog on March 25, 2006, 11:22:28 pm
If true, it would suck to be Markuson now.  How ironic as well that essentially Gus is his boss on offense. 
To me, Markusons coaching is a gimmick.  How the heck can the guy be here 7 years and we still dont have an offensive line that has ever pass-blocked at a decent level.

What could be even more ironic is if Gus gets his offense installed the way he wants, Markuson could come out of this looking like a genius.  If the quarterbacks buy in and run it effectively, they won't be holding the ball long enough to get sacked, passing game improves, running game is better than ever and he comes out smelling like a rose.  Whatever happens I just want them to win.  Don't care what it takes to get that done.

Richard_white

Quote from: mj4president on March 25, 2006, 10:34:35 pm

And they say Houston Nutt doesn't get on here and post

pseudorabies

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 11:25:34 pm
Markuson could come out of this looking like a genius.

No one who really knows Markuson would ever make the mistake of calling him that.

razorback3072

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 11:28:25 pm
Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 11:25:34 pm
Markuson could come out of this looking like a genius.

No one who really knows Markuson would ever make the mistake of calling him that.

You are absolutely correct.  I think he sucks.  BUT, the operative phrase is "who really knows him."  The same can be said for Nutt and he still had people coming after him.  Like I said whatever it takes to win.  I don't consider myself a hater or a hugger just a Hog fan but at this point we need to get those two out of here and if it takes making them look like geniuses, then so be it.

hoggystyle78

As long as dale is on the sidelines, there is the chance for him to goober everything up. The day the Arkansas offense runs with precise efficiency will be the day that houston dale nutt is no longer a paid state employee!, and what a happy day that will be. ;D

hoggin das

I agree with Razorback3072's take on this. Like him or not, HDN is a very successful person who isn't likely to be pushed around into making hires.  He was convinced, not forced. It might have taken lots of convincing, but in the end he agreed to the change. He is the head coach and the HC has the final say. Back-to-back losing seasons in and of itself, is pretty convincing, if you ask me.

When a corporation loses money, and management makes changes, you can call it being forced, or making course corrections, or whatever you want.  If the CEO remains, he gets credit for the turnaround, if it happens. He typically takes the fall if it fails to right the ship.  The best CEO's thrive by hiring the right people and letting them do what they do best.

He get the blame if things go south, at which time he will most likely be fired.

If he had been "forced" he would have resigned.  The man is not desperate to keep his job. He probably has too much pride for that and my guess is he has made enough money to retire comfortably 3X over.

othermac

do you think for a minute that all the coaches might have the same goal in mind, that being winning. they all benefit from it. as soon as a program starts winning, the alsorans start raiding the coaching staff for their next head coach. these guys have a common goal, and in order to attain it they have to sacrafice self and work together. and i am pretty sure they dont have to be told that, its  kind of rule number 1. and how you guys want to bypass hdn and give credit to wood and gus is beyond me, if the huggers are on koolaid then the darksiders are drunk on the punch. 
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

FLKeysGuy

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: hoggin das on March 26, 2006, 07:38:59 am
Like him or not, HDN is a very successful person who isn't likely to be pushed around into making hires.  He was convinced, not forced.

Not likely unless threatened with "make the darned changes or hit the road, jack".

[/quote]

wrightobe

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 25, 2006, 10:30:15 pm
The problem with Lindsey running things is that he is not around enough.  Yeah, he is probably around the Broyles Complex more than Broyles and that's not saying much.  He is probably consulted on the larger things but not the day to day stuff.

My prediction is that Dale and his cronies are going to keep screwing up since it seems they are never going to get anything right.  My hope is that Malzahn and Wood have the balls to stand up to them.
Why does Houston Nutt want to call all the plays?

Is he still trying to prove that he can still play quarterback in college to the degree he did in high school as a drop back quarterback, and being highly recruited by such as Bear Bryant of Alabama?

As we all know, Frank Broyles went after Houston Nutt with a zeal, just to keep Bear Bryant from getting him at Alabama, and was Broyles last player that he recruited, before he resigned and turned it over to Lou Holtz and his option offense, which did not work out for Nutt, and he transferred to Oklahoma State, where his father went to school.

Most high coaches still call the plays, but not in college, except for supposedly offensive genius such as is at South Caroline.

It was stated in the Dem-Gazette that Nutt spent so much time on offense, he never had time for the defense.

It has long been a belief that defensive coaches make the best head coaches.

HellsBlueSky

My opinion, whether it means much or not, is that Houston will be fine.  One thing I notice about Houston in the time I've spent with him is that, since the change, he seems much more at ease.  Giving up the amount of control that he did is not easy, and takes time to adjust to.  No matter how poor a job you do, it's still the job that you're used to and you always feel more comfortable with it in your hands.  H is going to have to get used to sitting back and ENJOYING the Arkansas football team for once, but I think he's going to do it and have a good time at it.  All the best to him.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HellsBlueSky on March 26, 2006, 12:44:24 pm
...Giving up the amount of control that he did is not easy... but I think he's going to do it

I think that's what most "darksiders" are concerned with -- whether or not HDN truly gives up control permanently.  I hope you are right.

jabohog

Quote from today's article:

Nutt said while he’s excited about what Malzahn and Wood can add to the offense, he wants Arkansas to retain its toughness.
“We can’t ever forget about being physical,” Nutt said. “We’ve always been known as one of the toughest teams in the SEC.”

I believe this is Nutt's "hat on a hat" philosophy. In other words run the same damn play 8 times in a row and show how physical we are. If we get a hat on a hat this will work every time. We are going to find out in a few days how much Malzahn and Wood are going to be allowed to do. I am counting on Mike Irwin to hold some folks feet to the fire.

Albert Einswine

Mike, I love it when you weigh in and drop these bombs of credibility!  Great stuff, way to dispel myth and get to the bottom line!

Quote from: razorback3072 on March 25, 2006, 10:39:52 pmYou don't hire a coach just to get his kids no matter how good they are.

I take it you're not familiar with Pete Maravich and his father's hiring at LSU?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

FLKeysGuy

I agree with Razorback3072's take on this. Like him or not, HDN is a very successful person who isn't likely to be pushed around into making hires.  He was convinced, not forced. It might have taken lots of convincing, but in the end he agreed to the change. He is the head coach and the HC has the final say. Back-to-back losing seasons in and of itself, is pretty convincing, if you ask me.

When a corporation loses money, and management makes changes, you can call it being forced, or making course corrections, or whatever you want.  If the CEO remains, he gets credit for the turnaround, if it happens. He typically takes the fall if it fails to right the ship.  The best CEO's thrive by hiring the right people and letting them do what they do best.

He get the blame if things go south, at which time he will most likely be fired.

If he had been "forced" he would have resigned.  The man is not desperate to keep his job. He probably has too much pride for that and my guess is he has made enough money to retire comfortably 3X over.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,53849.msg637514.html#msg637514

hoggin das

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on March 26, 2006, 11:11:56 am
Like him or not, HDN is a very successful person who isn't likely to be pushed around into making hires.  He was convinced, not forced.

Not likely unless threatened with "make the darned changes or hit the road, jack".

[/quote]

Only a fool with zero management skills would say that. Frank Broyles is not and would not.

Salvaboar Dali

There are several misconceptions here:
#1: Markuson has had several lines that could both run and pass block effectively. We just can't be overpowering on Oline when we sign 10 DB's per signing class.
#2: Markuson is actually very aggressive and wants more passing in general.

I doubt Markuson will mess with woods and Mahlzahn. Nutt is pretty much his own enemy.

BTW... Decker sucks as strength coach.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hoggin das on March 27, 2006, 12:05:09 pm

Only a fool with zero management skills would say that. Frank Broyles is not and would not.
[/quote]

I am amazed people still post things like this. 

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Retired Radio Host

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 28, 2006, 03:31:54 am
Quote from: hoggin das on March 27, 2006, 12:05:09 pm

QuoteI am amazed people still post things like this. 

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Maybe not in so many words, but Ken Hatfield hiring Jack Crowe...Danny Ford hiring Kay Stephenson. Do either of those sound familiar?

Who ordered those moves? Harold Horton? Billy Gray? Chuch Dicus? Jim Lindsey? Why was Hatfield so POed at Broyles he wanted the Georgia and Clemson jobs sight unseen?

Theolesnort

Markuson is a tough hardnosed offensive line coach that likes to bang on the other team so it is no secret that he perfers to run the football. Now the 64,000 thousand dollar question is- I believe him perfectly capable of teaching pass blocking, will he do it and will his heart be in it? Broyles and Lindsey have plans for Malzahn and you can be sure they are keeping tabs on the changes closed practices or not. Right now Markuson is in an exposed situation and he is well aware of it. When this all goes down he might even decide that he likes passing the ball more and have more and better running lanes because of the changes. Stay tuned.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 28, 2006, 01:30:55 pm
Markuson is a tough hardnosed offensive line coach that likes to bang on the other team so it is no secret that he perfers to run the football. Now the 64,000 thousand dollar question is- I believe him perfectly capable of teaching pass blocking, will he do it and will his heart be in it? Broyles and Lindsey have plans for Malzahn and you can be sure they are keeping tabs on the changes closed practices or not. Right now Markuson is in an exposed situation and he is well aware of it. When this all goes down he might even decide that he likes passing the ball more and have more and better running lanes because of the changes. Stay tuned.

Markuson uses Zone Blocking. My understanding is that Zone Blocking is a stronger pass blocking method. Am I wrong? I played FB, but am by no means a coach.

Richard_white

I see that some of Nutt supporters come here and beg for approval.

Fire Houston Nutt

before it's to late

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas really is/was one of the most physical teams in the SEC

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*