Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Started by stratos, December 09, 2006, 10:25:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stratos

An offence can not just change directions on a dime.  It would not be fair to the players who were recruited into the current scheme to do so and hard for them to adjust.  I am no HDN fan, but I can see the long term effects of the changes being made.

9-10 posters on this forum expected Gus, Mitch, and DW to come into the system, start on day 1, run the hurry-up and be National Champions in there first year.  Sadly, it does not work like that.

I see the subtle changes in the system, and I can see next year the system changing even more.  What do I see for the Razorbacks in the future?  I see the drive vs. USC where Mitch ran the hurry-up and scored, but with more #5 thrown in there somewhere.

In 2-3 years, I see this offence being ran like that.  A high-powered scoring offence.  You can not expect the SO, JR, and SR's who were recruited into one style of offence to turn on a dime for a few star freshmen and a new OC. 

That being said, I hate some of the things HDN is doing right now with the offence, but understand that change takes time.   If Gus was the head coach next year, Arkansas might not break even in win-loss because of the huge change in how each position would need to play.  It would take a few years to get the right kind of players in the system for it to run how he wants it to.  I am not in favor of this.  I can see Gus running the team in 2-3 years and recruiting the pro-style players Arkansas would need for his system.   Mainly speed receivers who do not drop ½ the passes that hit them in the hands. 

To be fair I am speaking of young players, who should not have the burden put on them in the first place.

Flame or agree however you like, but please put the torches and pitchforks back in the barn for a few more years. 
Your unique eye for logic allows you to sling turds of doom every which way, and then brag about how you were RIGHT as soon as one of the pieces sticks to the wall – regardless of how many dozens fell limply to the floor before that.

"See I told you sooooooo!!"

oldbooniehog

Oh man..........

Let's see........how many weeks in a row did we hear, over and over and over, that this week was the game in which the coaching staff was going to "open up" the passing game a bit, and let the QBs throw it around more, and "develop a passing game?"

I heard that on this board, on several radio shows, on other boards, in random face-to-face conversations, on evening news broadcasts every single week of the season since the week before the Vandy game.

It never happened, not once.

And as long as HDN is the head coach, there is no reason to think it ever will.

Who was it who benched the highest-ranked QB ever recruited to Arkansas, even after that QB had won 7 straight games as a starter?

Not gonna happen as long as HDN is the head coach.

oldbooniehog

hog_fan

Quote from: stratos on December 09, 2006, 10:25:47 pm

An offence can not just change directions on a dime.  It would not be fair to the players who were recruited into the current scheme to do so and hard for them to adjust.  I am no HDN fan, but I can see the long term effects of the changes being made.

9-10 posters on this forum expected Gus, Mitch, and DW to come into the system, start on day 1, run the hurry-up and be National Champions in there first year.  Sadly, it does not work like that.

I see the subtle changes in the system, and I can see next year the system changing even more.  What do I see for the Razorbacks in the future?  I see the drive vs. USC where Mitch ran the hurry-up and scored, but with more #5 thrown in there somewhere.

In 2-3 years, I see this offence being ran like that.  A high-powered scoring offence.  You can not expect the SO, JR, and SR’s who were recruited into one style of offence to turn on a dime for a few star freshmen and a new OC. 

That being said, I hate some of the things HDN is doing right now with the offence, but understand that change takes time.   If Gus was the head coach next year, Arkansas might not break even in win-loss because of the huge change in how each position would need to play.  It would take a few years to get the right kind of players in the system for it to run how he wants it to.  I am not in favor of this.  I can see Gus running the team in 2-3 years and recruiting the pro-style players Arkansas would need for his system.   Mainly speed receivers who do not drop ½ the passes that hit them in the hands. 

To be fair I am speaking of young players, who should not have the burden put on them in the first place.

Flame or agree however you like, but please put the torches and pitchforks back in the barn for a few more years. 

Frank and Nutt used Gus to get recruits and sell tickets. This is becoming very clear. frank and nutt plan to change nothing about the offense.

bigdaddyhawg

December 09, 2006, 10:43:08 pm #3 Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:46:27 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Stratos said:

In 2-3 5-6 9-10 NEVER years as long as HDN is here, I see this offence being ran like that.  A high-powered scoring offence.  You can not expect the SO, JR, and SR's who were recruited into one style of offence to turn on a dime for a few star freshmen and a new OC.

That being said, I hate some of the things HDN is doing right now with the offence, but understand that change takes time.   If Gus was the head coach next year, Arkansas might not break even in win-loss because of the huge change in how each position would need to play.  It would take a few years to get the right kind of players in the system for it to run how he wants it to.  I am not in favor of this.  I can see Gus running the team in 2-3 years at some other universityand recruiting the pro-style players Arkansas would need for his system.   Mainly speed receivers who do not drop ½ the passes that hit them in the hands.

My modifications.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PORK CHOP

RazorRaider

Quote from: hog_fan on December 09, 2006, 10:39:31 pm

In 2-3 years, I see this offence being ran like that.  A high-powered scoring offence.  You can not expect the SO, JR, and SR’s who were recruited into one style of offence to turn on a dime for a few star freshmen and a new OC. 

That being said, I hate some of the things HDN is doing right now with the offence, but understand that change takes time.   If Gus was the head coach next year, Arkansas might not break even in win-loss because of the huge change in how each position would need to play.  It would take a few years to get the right kind of players in the system for it to run how he wants it to.  I am not in favor of this.  I can see Gus running the team in 2-3 years and recruiting the pro-style players Arkansas would need for his system.   Mainly speed receivers who do not drop ½ the passes that hit them in the hands. 

Frank and Nutt used Gus to get recruits and sell tickets. This is becoming very clear. frank and nutt plan to change nothing about the offense.

Exactly, they knew that without Gus and Mitch there would be fewer butts in the seats of RRS. To them Gus and MM are just gimmicks to sell tickets, once they are gone another gimmick will be thought up. They know that the average razorback fan is nothing more than a sheep ready to be led to and fro. The average fan has been condintioned to accept mediocrity, conditioned to expect to only have a ten win season once per decade, to only come close to winning an SEC championship. I used to call Nutt a moron, but the more I think about it I have to admit he is smart in one way. He knows what he can do and not do in order to keep that 1.5 mil per year in . And he knows it doesn't involve winning an NC ever. Hell it doesn't even involve winning an SEC championship. Until the fans realize that as long as RRS will be full on gameday that change will never happen they can expect what they have been getting for the past nine years.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

TomasPistola

Can't throw the ball down the field if your QB's (NOTICE: MORE THAN ONE) are Overthrowing, Underthrowing, and Throwing into double coverage everytime we try to pass. Even the games that Mitch played in, he wasn't all that impressive. And certainly Dick was horrible the last 2-3 games himself.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

blacksuit

You can't install a completely new offense in one year. It can't be done. Just wait and see. If Gus is half as good as people here seem to think he is, next year we WILL have a passing game.

the legend

im going to have to agree with you!!  i to expected gus to come in firing with his razzmatazz offence but i now realalize that it may take a year to learn!!  next year should have more razzle dazzle on our way to the nc!!  awesome!!  go hogs go!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wasn't built in a day but it burned down pretty damn quick.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Calling All Hogs

Jim Rome's announcing skills probably were built in no more than 5-6 minutes tops!

bhuie

I'm not willing to wait several centuries before our Rome gets built.  Sorry...  :-\

socalhogcaller

I lost you at "offence."

But I think we will see HUNH at some point.

loserhog3-7

The sooner you start the sooner you get to where you want to be. Why put off tomorrow what you can do today? I bet it would have worked very well. Nobody could prepair for that like they can for our regular offense. They proved it could be done within two minutes in our first game. They all did their assignments to perfection. Just think how good they would be using it if they continued playing that way. I can.

Pork Twain

How many BCS or even major bowls have we gone to and won in 9 years???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/