Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Notre Dame should not be in a BCS bowl

Started by Niels Boar, November 25, 2006, 10:49:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

They have beaten nobody.  Their best win is Georgia Tech, who lost to an unranked SEC team today.  Ga Tech was blown out by Clemson, who also lost to an unranked SEC team today.  The Big 10 resume also took a severe hit this week.  Notre Dame gets blown out.  Texas loses to Texas A&M.  Those are the two big nonconference wins of Michigan and Ohio St. Talk of a rematch should disappear.  I hope USC wipes the field with Ohio St.  What would be great is if we get Notre Dame in the the Sugar and LSU gets Michigan in the Rose bowl.  LSU could take them, I bet. It would be a good game.

Adam Stokes

I was looking at the teams they have played and you are absolutely right.  The teams above .500 they beat are

GT - 9-3 - in a horrible ACC this year, first game of the season and only by 4 points
  Penn St - 8-4 - Penn St isn't too bad a team, I'll count this as a good win.
  Purdue - 8-4 - they aren't any good
  UCLA - 6-5 - have had a QB injury all year, still not a good record
  Navy - 8-3 - Yeah, it's Navy

Had some okay wins but none of these teams should should be ranked.  We should be in a higher bowl than them even if we lose to Florida.

Niels Boar

Their wins include Georgia Tech, the three service academies, Stanford (by far the worst team in the Pac 10), UNC  (beat out Duke as the worst of the ACC by a couple of points today, and the middle of the Big 10.  The bottom 70% of the Big 10 is 0-30 against the Sagarin top 30.  The SEC has 7 top-30 wins by the 4th-12th place teams.  The Pac-10 has even more.  Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio St., and Wisconsin may all be vastly overrated.  The Big 10 blew chow this season.

WxHog

The clause in the BCS says "Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top 8 of the final BCS Standings".   

After this loss, and especially if we beat Florida, they may not finish in the top 8.   Could they still get an at large berth if not in the top 8?   I would say probably so, just because they are Notre Dame.   Personally, I hope we play them in the Sugar Bowl.  I like our chances if that comes about. 

itstimeyouleaveNutt

Quote from: Niels Boar on November 25, 2006, 10:49:07 pm
They have beaten nobody.  Their best win is Georgia Tech, who lost to an unranked SEC team today.  Ga Tech was blown out by Clemson, who also lost to an unranked SEC team today.  The Big 10 resume also took a severe hit this week.  Notre Dame gets blown out.  Texas loses to Texas A&M.  Those are the two big nonconference wins of Michigan and Ohio St. Talk of a rematch should disappear.  I hope USC wipes the field with Ohio St.  What would be great is if we get Notre Dame in the the Sugar and LSU gets Michigan in the Rose bowl.  LSU could take them, I bet. It would be a good game.

Yea i agree , you put ND in the SEC west they probabally only beat the 2 MISS schools and a weak eastern team.
I called some good plays today didn't I Chuck?!?

dhornjr1

Notre Dame will not get an automatic bid if they are not in the top 8 in the final BCS standings. They can't get an at-large bid if they are not in the top 14 in the final BCS poll. They will drop in the final poll but not lower than 14.

Hogsooey

I love how these national media folk are calling for a Notre Dame-Michigan rematch in the Rose Bowl.  Notre Dame gets skull thumped by Michigan and USC and somehow they are the ideal match up for a team, who most would consider a top 3-4 team, that already thumped them?  Corso dismisses Florida, in favor of Notre Dame, like the SEC is ditch water?  I am just sick of seeing SEC teams get the short end of the stick when it comes to the big BCS games, including the Nat Champ game.  Heck, if AR beats Florida, the know-it-alls would probably try to match us up with Boise State.  Okay, I'm being slightly facetious, but you get my point. 

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogsooey on November 25, 2006, 11:08:51 pm
I love how these national media folk are calling for a Notre Dame-Michigan rematch in the Rose Bowl.  Notre Dame gets skull thumped by Michigan and USC and somehow they are the ideal match up for a team, who most would consider a top 3-4 team, that already thumped them?  Corso dismisses Florida, in favor of Notre Dame, like the SEC is ditch water?  I am just sick of seeing SEC teams get the short end of the stick when it comes to the big BCS games, including the Nat Champ game.  Heck, if AR beats Florida, the know-it-alls would probably try to match us up with Boise State.  Okay, I'm being slightly facetious, but you get my point. 

Actually, that might very well happen. Remember when we played Boise St. a few years ago and the Boise player was quoted as saying Nutt was a used-car salesman? The media could play up the "Nutt facing former team" angle.

Calling All Hogs

Did anyone notice how fat Weis is getting? He's always been fat but he has reached the freak looking level. I would think
that would impact recruiting as it seems a 17 old year athlete might find it hard to relate to someone in such bad shape.
No. ND does not belong in a BCS bowl.

Hogsooey

Quote from: dhornjr1 on November 25, 2006, 11:13:22 pm
Quote from: Hogsooey on November 25, 2006, 11:08:51 pm

Actually, that might very well happen. Remember when we played Boise St. a few years ago and the Boise player was quoted as saying Nutt was a used-car salesman? The media could play up the "Nutt facing former team" angle.

Haha, touché.  I guess I was trying to point out that the SEC just isn't getting the respect it deserves. 
But, as you said, that might happen - win the SEC, play Boise in the Sugar.  Heaven forbid; heaven forbid.     

itstimeyouleaveNutt

Quote from: CallMeHog on November 25, 2006, 11:21:41 pm
Did anyone notice how fat Weis is getting? He's always been fat but he has reached the freak looking level. I would think
that would impact recruiting as it seems a 17 old year athlete might find it hard to relate to someone in such bad shape.
No. ND does not belong in a BCS bowl.

I think this has some merit, but there has been plenty of overweight coaches have success. It depends a little on how the kid is raised. I think just generally in society its harder to gain respect when you obviously never visit a gym and spend alot of time at the sonic drive through
I called some good plays today didn't I Chuck?!?

dhornjr1

I agree that the SEC does not get the respect it deserves. Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and even Georgia and South Carolina are better than most teams from the other conferences. Hell, even Kentucky could jump up and bite you in the butt. And don't forget, Vanderbilt gave Michigan a decent game in the Big House early in the season.

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

WindyCityHog

Fan attendance....

Noyre Dame travels well....

Methinks they sneak in...somehow.

I'm betting on the Sugar.

Notre Dame is THE piece when it comes to TV revenue.

Book it....they will get their BCS game.