Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt on the QB's

Started by HognotinMemphis, August 08, 2006, 10:21:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

"Who is the guy who'll consistently put this team in the end zone?" Arkansas coach Houston Nutt asked. "I know it sounds simple. But when you're out here, and there's bullets going off, the heat is on and the defense is running around very fast, who is the guy who's going to keep his cool, who can get us to the right play and execute? That's what we're looking for every single day the next couple of weeks."

Bullets going off? Are they playing games in College Station now? Nutt is so stupid, he's comical.

Get us to the right play? I thought Malzahn is going to be the shot calla, big balla?

He's looking for that every single day? Really? Not just every other day? Dumbass.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 08, 2006, 10:21:26 am
"Who is the guy who'll consistently put this team in the end zone?" Arkansas coach Houston Nutt asked. "I know it sounds simple. But when you're out here, and there's bullets going off, the heat is on and the defense is running around very fast, who is the guy who's going to keep his cool, who can get us to the right play and execute? That's what we're looking for every single day the next couple of weeks."

Bullets going off? Are they playing games in College Station now? Nutt is so stupid, he's comical.

Get us to the right play? I thought Malzahn is going to be the shot calla, big balla?

He's looking for that every single day? Really? Not just every other day? Dumbass.

Malzahn will be calling the plays (HOPEFULLY) but HDN will be putting the guy out there.

CoachJ

If there are bullets going off, why is the defense running around?  Wouldn't it be smart to get down? 

SultanofSwine

HiM, nice to have you back from your trip. We've been a little short on humor lately.

100+GM HAWG

You guys are a perfect example of people that are going to criticize Nutt no matter what he says.

Everybody understands what he is saying. He could say anything and you guys would rip him..

SultanofSwine

It was funny but guess humor escapes you.

100+GM HAWG

Your right.. Calling Houston a dumbass.... That humor does escape me..

SultanofSwine

He has proven over his entire time as our HC to be unable to use exclamatory remarks for emphasis without them being over the top, ie: the bulletts flying comment. If you fail to see the humor in that and don't find it bordering on idiotic, it says as much about you as it does those of us that do see it as humorous.

Hogblog

This is "Nutt Speak" meaning get ready for the old multiple QB rotation. Beware.......... two or three QB's per game for the first four games.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogblog on August 08, 2006, 10:55:33 am

This is "Nutt Speak" meaning get ready for the old multiple QB rotation. Beware.......... two or three QB's per game for the first four games.
Lucky for us that will never happen with GM and AW on board.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ugly Uncle

That is scary...but probably what will happen if HDN has any say.  I do not think Wood or Gus would want it that way.  But that seems to be HDN's favorite system.
Retired Radio Host

FTS

WOW look in the mirror if you want to see the stupid one!

Anon2

Malzahn will call the play but have you heard of the QB changing the play.  That's what Houston is talking about to get to the right play.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: FTS on August 08, 2006, 11:05:29 am

You cut me to the bone with that one. I'll have to gather myself before I can post again.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

A Boy Named Sue E.

Nutt's been cracking me up lately. He keeps saying that he doesn't want to hear about having 19 returning starters because those 19 came from a team that went 4-7. Well, thats true enough I guess. But its just another example in my mind of Nutt lowering expectations, setting us up to not feel so bad when we have another mediocre year. I swear this guy is Mr. 6-5, maybe an occasional 7-4, but if you believe his excuses you can feel good about it anyway.

hogsNbeer

..."and the defense is running around very fast"...... Don't you know he was wanting to say bouncing around instead of running around.......... Somebody must have gotten to him and told him that "bouncing around" was old as the hills......

Jim Harris

All this stuff Nutt says would sound like it was coming out of the mouth of Jerry Seinfeld or the late great Rodney Dangerfield if he had been winning like his first two years. It almost got to be the same with Holtz, only Broyles and the powers canned his ass long before the act grew to nine-years-old tired, and yet the Holtz of that era would coach circles around our boy HDN.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsNbeer on August 08, 2006, 11:48:08 am

..."and the defense is running around very fast"...... Don't you know he was wanting to say bouncing around instead of running around.......... Somebody must have gotten to him and told him that "bouncing around" was old as the hills......

I almost posted that but have already posted enough in this thread. Can't believe I didn't mention that line in my thread starting post. Good pick up - you are dead on with that observation.

silvertip

Well, this post is just a great example of someone griping about any little thing. Actually, what Nutt is saying about the QB makes sense, and it is the same thing Gus or Alex would say.

The big point is you've got to have a QB who CAN get the team into the right play. Gus's system calls for 3 different ways to call audibles on EVERY play. Sometimes it's up to the QB to call an audible, sometimes it's up to the coach.

Get Gus's book, read it and quit griping about things that aren't real. At the top of page 28, you will see the title "AUDIBLES."  Take 2 minutes to read that section, and you will learn that one of the great advantages of Gus's system is that the QB is expected to audible whenever the defense is aligned in a formation that is likely to defeat the original play called.

But it all depends on a QB "who can get us in the right play." I don't mind griping about Nutt, but I do get tired of griping about things when the poster has no clue. I am now dreading the flood of critism that will flow when the offense is not working---from a bunch of people who have no idea what Gus is trying to do.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 08, 2006, 12:08:11 pm
Quote from: silvertip on August 08, 2006, 12:02:07 pm

Well, this post is just a great example of someone griping about any little thing. Actually, what Nutt is saying about the QB makes sense, and it is the same thing Gus or Alex would say.

The big point is you've got to have a QB who CAN get the team into the right play. Gus's system calls for 3 different ways to call audibles on EVERY play. Sometimes it's up to the QB to call an audible, sometimes it's up to the coach.

Get Gus's book, read it and quit griping about things that aren't real. At the top of page 28, you will see the title "AUDIBLES."  Take 2 minutes to read that section, and you will learn that one of the great advantages of Gus's system is that the QB is expected to audible whenever the defense is aligned in a formation that is likely to defeat the original play called.

But it all depends on a QB "who can get us in the right play." I don't mind griping about Nutt, but I do get tired of griping about things when the poster has no clue. I am now dreading the flood of critism that will flow when the offense is not working---from a bunch of people who have no idea what Gus is trying to do.

Most of us don't need a book to explain football to us. 
If you wanna be critical of our new offense then maybe you should read the book that explains it.  Looks like Silvertip makes some good points.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

HognotinMemphis

You just don't get it, do you?  I am not griping about Nutt's message. I understand what the moron is TRYING to say. I am griping about the way he says things. He sounds like a complete idiot. I don't like the head coach, especially one who is sub .500 in his career in conference, to sound like a complete dumbass.

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 08, 2006, 11:37:56 am
Quote from: FTS on August 08, 2006, 11:05:29 am

You cut me to the bone with that one. I'll have to gather myself before I can post again.
Welcome back, HiM! Listen, with some people (like me) it just takes a while to get it, but I loved your post, very funny!!  :)
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 08, 2006, 12:14:34 pm

You just don't get it, do you?  I am not griping about Nutt's message. I understand what the moron is TRYING to say. I am griping about the way he says things. He sounds like a complete idiot. I don't like the head coach, especially one who is sub .500 in his career in conference, to sound like a complete dumbass.
When is the last time you were in front of cameras for an interview?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 08, 2006, 12:19:27 pm

A more intelligent and insightful question would be, "how many times has Nutt been in front of the camera for an interview?".

silvertip

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 08, 2006, 12:08:11 pm

Most of us don't need a book to explain football to us. 

Well, FL, that's the 2nd time I've seen that kind of wise-crack from you, concerning Gus's book.

Most of us DO enjoy learning more about the game all the time. Most of us DON"T think we know it all by the age of 27. I would say that a lot of people who are always saying "we have to RUN the ball" are to a great extent people who quit learning about FB 20 years ago.

It is those lovers of the conservative, power running game, that I expect to come here whining about our passing game, as it goes thru the inevitable growing pains. Go ahead & remain ignorant of Gus's plans. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.   

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 08, 2006, 12:21:23 pm

A more intelligent and insightful question would be, "how many times has Nutt been in front of the camera for an interview?".
Some people just don't have the make-up to speak well in an interview.  I think that is the least of HDN's problems you have brought over the last year.

darkhogfan

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 08, 2006, 12:38:17 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 08, 2006, 12:21:23 pm

Some people just don't have the make-up to speak well in an interview.  I think that is the least of HDN's problems you have brought over the last year.

If he has problems speaking in an interview put someone else out there that can. 
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

silvertip

Well, I guess you didn't get my point. What HDN said in that quote makes perfect sense. I'm talking about the substance, not the style.

And your original post in this thread, is all style & no substance. Your wise-crack about the coach calling the plays, while dismissing the role of the QB, just shows me that you don't know what Gus is bringing to the offense. You should know that HDN, as a play-caller, was definitely NOT looking for the QB to get us into the right play.

You don't like the sub .500 coach to sound like a "moron," a "complete dumbass," or a "complete idiot"? Well neither do I. But I say you picked a poor quote to try to make that point.

LZH

I understand the need to vent.  We have heard this same shiite for years now from HDN...I mean the SOS!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 08, 2006, 12:54:31 pm
I understand the need to vent.  We have heard this same shiite for years now from HDN...I mean the SOS!

No Doubt!!!

I did hear something new the other day... I think HDN has shown tiny signs that Gus may be rubbing off on him a bit.  It was an interview with HDN from Media Day.  Of course, there were all the expected Nuttisms, but I was completely blown-away when I heard him say, "We're going to take what the defense gives us; That's always been our philosophy." 

For some reason, that sounded very familiar!  ;)

silvertip

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 08, 2006, 12:54:31 pm

So do we need to "vent" every day? I don't. I have vented hundreds of times about HDN here and on HI until I got banned from there for it.

Right now, we have a new OC, QB coach, and a chance at a balanced O. It's not all the changes I wanted, but it's a heck of an improvement & it's all the changes we will get until next year. I don't need to keep going over & over the same ol crap.

I would rather look forward to Gus's O. And for those who take a little time & effort to learn, that's exactly what HDN was talking about.  For those who say it's the SOS, I say wake up. It's a big departure from what HDN has been looking for in a QB & reflects the changes on the way.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 08, 2006, 10:52:57 am
He has proven over his entire time as our HC to be unable to use exclamatory remarks for emphasis without them being over the top, ie: the bulletts flying comment. If you fail to see the humor in that and don't find it bordering on idiotic, it says as much about you as it does those of us that do see it as humorous.
The bullet comment is not what I found to not to be humorous. It's the fact that we have to call Coach Nutt names (I.E. Dumbass)  That is what I find not humorous. If that is a comment on me, then so be it. I'm more than comfortable with any judgement people make against me for finding language like that a little beyond the pale..

EastexHawg

August 08, 2006, 01:46:48 pm #32 Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 02:15:43 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: uglyuncle on August 08, 2006, 11:00:30 am

That is scary...but probably what will happen if HDN has any say.  I do not think Wood or Gus would want it that way.  But that seems to be HDN's favorite system.

You're right, Ugly.  Nutt, in his simple mind, believes that he came up with a mastermind offensive strategy with his "two-headed QB" idiocy during the 2001 season.  He has tried over and over to force it to work since that time, too.

Think back to 2001.  In the first game, against UNLV, Nutt played four QBs...and the Hogs didn't make a single first down until midway through the third quarter.  In other words, Nutt had nine months to prepare for that 2001 season opener, and what did he come up with?  A Chinese fire drill running QBs in and out of the huddle, about 100 yards total offense and three first downs, one offensive TD, and a miracle win over a poor Mountain West opponent.

But I digress...

Anyway, against UNLV Nutt played four QBs.  The next week, against Tennessee, he played Ryan Sorahan the entire game.  The result?  Another blockbuster offensive performance...100 yards total offense, about five first downs, and three points.

The next two games saw Ryan Sorahan play against Alabama until he was knocked out of the game...in another loss...and Zak Clark play the entire game in a third consecutive loss to Georgia.

That game was followed by a blowout win over something called a Weber State in RRS.

That brings us to the South Carolina game.  Nutt, 0-3 in SEC play and desperate, came up with a QB package for freshman Matt Jones.  Matt made a couple of huge runs to keep drives alive, and the Hogs won 10-7.

The next week against Auburn, Matt and Zak once again split time.  Matt made most of the plays, had his real coming out party as he ran and passed Auburn ragged, and a 42-17 blowout win resulted.

Then, the following week.  Seventh Heaven.  Zak Clark once again started, but Matt Jones once again made all the plays...including playing every offensive down of the seven overtimes, outdueling Eli Manning to win a game ESPN dubbed an "Instant Classic" in the process.

As we all know, that 1-3 start turned into six straight wins, a 7-3 record, and a battle against LSU in Baton Rouge with a trip to Atlanta on the line.  The Hogs lost that game, 41-38, but still ended a season that looked to be headed down the toilet in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.

Matt Jones was a phenom.  He was the talk of the conference.  He was the national player of the week after the Ole Miss game, and he was already nearing folk hero status in Arkansas.  Many long-time observers, including me, realized by the second or third game he played that Nutt had just found the greatest playmaking QB in Arkansas history.  He had gone into the season with four QBs...none of them named Matt Jones...and the nation's worst (statistically speaking) offense, and had emerged with a budding superstar and an offense that averaged 34 points per game over the last seven contests.

Anyone with one good eye and half a brain knew that Nutt...lucky or not...had found his man.  Matt Jones was the difference maker that season, no doubt about it.

But what did Nutt decide?  Did he realize that Matt had saved his season?  Hell, no!  Nutt didn't come to the conclusion that Matt Jones' emergence had been the impetus for his team's turnaround...

He looked at all the facts and came to the conclusion that his two-headed QB system had made the difference.  He was one of the game's great innovators, right up there with Don Faurot inventing the T-formation and Bill Walsh perfecting the West Coast Offense.  His two-headed QB system had saved the season...never mind that one of the QBs was making 90% of the plays!

It's that kind of inability to examine a cause and effect relationship, or think through any other sort of logical analysis and arrive at the most elementary of conclusions, that convinced me long ago that Houston Nutt is simply not a smart man.

Think about it.  Not only did Nutt think, after the 2001 season, that his two-headed QB system was the way to go...and that Matt Jones should split time with the likes of Zak Clark, Tarvaris Jackson, and Ryan Sorahan...

BUT HE KEPT TRYING IT FOR TWO MORE YEARS...even after his 2002 team went 3-3 to start the season with Jones and TJack splitting time, and 6-0 to end the season after he ditched the TJack experiment and gave Matt virtually all the snaps.  In fact, he went into and through the 2003 season doing the same idiotic crap with Matt and Ryan.

Things that would seem obvious to a sixth grader baffle Nutt.  IMO, it's the main reason he will never become one of the game's great coaches.  He may become more and more experienced as the years roll by...but how do you teach someone common sense and good judgement?

SultanofSwine

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on August 08, 2006, 01:18:01 pm
Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 08, 2006, 10:52:57 am
The bullet comment is not what I found to not to be humorous. It's the fact that we have to call Coach Nutt names (I.E. Dumbass)  That is what I find not humorous. If that is a comment on me, then so be it. I'm more than comfortable with any judgement people make against me for finding language like that a little beyond the pale..

I didn't call you a dumbass but I do get the impression from your post that a sense of humor might be lacking, atleast in regards to things most folks find funny. Like I pointed out and HiM has since pointed out the focus of this was supposed to be on his penache for the overdramatic, esp when it is uncalled for.

Hogblog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 08, 2006, 01:46:48 pm

You're right, Ugly.  Nutt, in his simple mind, believes that he came up with a mastermind offensive strategy with his "two-headed QB" idiocy during the 2001 season.  He has tried over and over to force it to work since that time, too.

Think back to 2001.  In the first game, against UNLV, Nutt played four QBs...and the Hogs didn't make a single first down until midway through the third quarter.  In other words, Nutt had nine months to prepare for that 2001 season opener, and what did he come up with?  A Chinese fire drill running QBs in and out of the huddle, about 100 yards total offense and three first downs, one offensive TD, and a miracle win over a poor Mountain West opponent.

But I digress...

Anyway, against UNLV Nutt played four QBs.  The next week, against Tennessee, he played Ryan Sorahan the entire game.  The result?  Another blockbuster offensive performance...100 yards total offense, about five first downs, and three points.

The next two games saw Ryan Sorahan play against Alabama until he was knocked out of the game...in another loss...and Zak Clark play the entire game in a third consecutive loss to Georgia.

That game was followed by a blowout win over something called a Weber State in RRS.

That brings us to the South Carolina game.  Nutt, 0-3 in SEC play and desperate, came up with a QB package for freshman Matt Jones.  Matt made a couple of huge runs to keep drives alive, and the Hogs won 10-7.

The next week against Auburn, Matt and Zak once again split time.  Matt made most of the plays, had his real coming out party as he ran and passed Auburn ragged, and a 42-17 blowout win resulted.

Then, the following week.  Seventh Heaven.  Zak Clark once again started, but Matt Jones once again made all the plays...including playing every offensive down of the seven overtimes, outdueling Eli Manning to win a game ESPN dubbed an "Instant Classic" in the process.

As we all know, that 1-3 start turned into six straight wins, a 7-3 record, and a battle against LSU in Baton Rouge with a trip to Atlanta on the line.  The Hogs lost that game, 41-38, but still ended a season that looked to be headed down the toilet in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.

Matt Jones was a phenom.  He was the talk of the conference.  He was the national player of the week after the Ole Miss game, and he was already nearing folk hero status in Arkansas.  Many long-time observers, including me, realized by the second or third game he played that Nutt had just found the greatest playmaking QB in Arkansas history.  He had gone into the season with four QBs...none of them named Matt Jones...and the nation's worst (statistically speaking) offense, and had emerged with a budding superstar and an offense that averaged 34 points per game over the last seven contests.

Anyone with one good eye and half a brain knew that Nutt...lucky or not...had found his man.  Matt Jones was the difference maker that season, no doubt about it.

But what did Nutt decide?  Did he realize that Matt had saved his season?  Hell, no!  Nutt didn't come to the conclusion that Matt Jones' emergence had been the impetus for his team's turnaround...

He looked at all the facts and came to the conclusion that his two-headed QB system had made the difference.  He was one of the game's great innovators, right up there with Don Faurot inventing the T-formation and Bill Walsh perfecting the West Coast Offense.  His two-headed QB system had saved the season...never mind that one of the QBs was making 90% of the plays!

It's that kind of inability to examine a cause and effect relationship, or think through any other sort of logical analysis and arrive at the most elementary of conclusions, that convinced me long ago that Houston Nutt is simply not a smart man.

Think about it.  Not only did Nutt think, after the 2001 season, that his two-headed QB system was the way to go...and that Matt Jones should split time with the likes of Zak Clark, Tarvaris Jackson, and Ryan Sorahan...

BUT HE KEPT TRYING IT FOR TWO MORE YEARS...even after his 2002 team went 3-3 to start the season with Jones and TJack splitting time, and 6-0 to end the season after he ditched the TJack experiment and gave Matt virtually all the snaps.  In fact, he went into and through the 2003 season doing the same idiotic crap with Matt and Ryan.

Things that would seem obvious to a sixth grader baffle Nutt.  IMO, it's the main reason he will never become one of the game's great coaches.  He may become more and more experienced as the years roll by...but how do you teach someone common sense and good judgement?

Poor decision making abilities in conjunction with the failure to recognize the importance of special teams and clock management.

GuvHog

But I digress...

Nice Expose' Eastex, but you left out one very important detail. You never explained why H. Nutt
was using the 2 QB system. H. Nutt was looking for a solid QB to step up and take over. Had he found such a QB, Matt Jones would've been a 3 year All-American at wide reciever. That would have meant possibly 3 10 win seasons in a row. Unfortunently all of the QBs except MJ
flopped, which meant 2 9 win seasons, and 1 5-6 season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 08, 2006, 02:39:32 pm

But I digress...

Nice Expose' Eastex, but you left out one very important detail. You never explained why H. Nutt
was using the 2 QB system. H. Nutt was looking for a solid QB to step up and take over. Had he found such a QB, Matt Jones would've been a 3 year All-American at wide reciever. That would have meant possibly 3 10 win seasons in a row. Unfortunently all of the QBs except MJ

3 10 win seasons.??????..... Bwaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!    Noway NUTT can win 10 in a season...... his record and recruiting speak for themselves.....thanks....

GuvHog

HogsNBeer, do you disagree that Matt would've been a three year All-American
at Wide Reciever?
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

100+GM HAWG

You guys kill me. The only way we won games, especially Matt's last year was because the ball was in his hand every down.

If you want to put blame on poor recruiting, you can do that. But don't think having Matt at QB cost us games. He could have played wide reciever and we would have been lucky to win 3 games a year...

judgeroyswine

I can't see Matt becoming an All-american receiver with Rojo throwing him the ball or Zach Clark.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Pork Twain

August 08, 2006, 03:10:46 pm #40 Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:13:08 pm by Superhog1975
Quote from: judgeroyswine on August 08, 2006, 03:08:40 pm
I can't see Matt becoming an All-american receiver with Rojo throwing him the ball or Zach Clark.
I think with the proper QB coach and OC T-Jack to MJ could have been amazing.  Could have used MJ like they did "Slash" in Pitt.  The respect they would have had to have shown MJ and MM would have busted our running game wide open.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 08, 2006, 03:10:46 pm
I think with the proper QB coach and OC T-Jack to MJ could have been amazing.  Could have used MJ like they did "Slash" in Pitt.  The respect they would have had to have shown MJ and MM would have busted our running game wide open.
We led the league in rushing didn't we???

judgeroyswine

Good point except we didn't have the proper QB coach unfortunately

EastexHawg

GUV, if the reason Nutt was playing those other QBs was so he could develop this unstoppable QB-receiver combination you describe, with Matt on the receiving end of the passes instead of the throwing end...

Can you explain why in the hell it was Matt was not playing wideout when TJack, Clark, and Sorahan were in the game at QB?

If Nutt was only playing those guys so he could take advantage of Matt's receiving skills...why was Matt sitting on the bench while they were playing?  Why wasn't Matt at wideout while Sorahan was playing 40% of the offensive snaps during the 33-28 loss to Florida in 2003?

Where was Matt going to catch all these passes that you and your hero Nutt supposedly envisioned...on the bench?

You say, in so many words, "If Nutt had had another great QB on the roster, he could have afforded not to play Matt at QB all the time."

And I say, "Yes, and if my grandmother had wheels she would be a wagon."

It doesn't matter what Nutt wishes he had.  Games are played with the players that are available and on the field, not with imaginary QBs, pie in the sky fantasies, and lucky leprechauns.

Nutt wasn't playing Matt at wideout...he was sitting him on the bench.  By the same token, he wasn't choosing among Matt, Joe Montana, and John Elway...

The fact of the matter is he was sitting Matt Jones on the bench so he could play Zak Clark, Tarvaris Jackson, and Ryan Sorahan.

If you really and truly want to scare yourself to death thinking about the current "brains" behind the football program at Arkansas, just think about this picture...

It is August of 2002.  Houston Nutt is in his office late at night, trying to make what for him was apparently an incredibly hard decision...

"Who do I start at QB against Boise State in a few days?  Is it Jones, or TJack, or Ryan?  How do I decide."

No, I'm not kidding.  You can't make up stuff like that.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: KEYS on August 08, 2006, 01:20:29 pm
Quote from: silvertip on August 08, 2006, 01:14:06 pm
It's a big departure from what HDN has been looking for

(I couldn't resist)  8)

Hey KEYS,  just photoshop Dale wearing an aluminum foil hat and that pic is perfection! ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 08, 2006, 03:26:23 pm

GUV, if the reason Nutt was playing those other QBs was so he could develop this unstoppable QB-receiver combination you describe, with Matt on the receiving end of the passes instead of the throwing end...

Can you explain why in the hell it was Matt was not playing wideout when TJack, Clark, and Sorahan were in the game at QB?

If Nutt was only playing those guys so he could take advantage of Matt's receiving skills...why was Matt sitting on the bench while they were playing?  Why wasn't Matt at wideout while Sorahan was playing 40% of the offensive snaps during the 33-28 loss to Florida in 2003?

Where was Matt going to catch all these passes that you and your hero Nutt supposedly envisioned...on the bench?

You say, in so many words, "If Nutt had had another great QB on the roster, he could have afforded not to play Matt at QB all the time."

And I say, "Yes, and if my grandmother had wheels she would be a wagon."

It doesn't matter what Nutt wishes he had.  Games are played with the players that are available and on the field, not with imaginary QBs, pie in the sky fantasies, and lucky leprechauns.

Nutt wasn't playing Matt at wideout...he was sitting him on the bench.  By the same token, he wasn't choosing among Matt, Joe Montana, and John Elway...

The fact of the matter is he was sitting Matt Jones on the bench so he could play Zak Clark, Tarvaris Jackson, and Ryan Sorahan.

If you really and truly want to scare yourself to death thinking about the current "brains" behind the football program at Arkansas, just think about this picture...

It is August of 2002.  Houston Nutt is in his office late at night, trying to make what for him was apparently an incredibly hard decision...

"Who do I start at QB against Boise State in a few days?  Is it Jones, or TJack, or Ryan?  How do I decide."

No, I'mkidding.  You can't make up stuff like that.

I like you... In a manly way of course... 

Pork Twain

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on August 08, 2006, 03:15:42 pm
You better lead the conference in rushing when that is all that your team does.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: Superhog1975 on August 08, 2006, 03:36:36 pm
Ya, so it kinda eliminates your point about how good our running game (could) have been doesn't it....

darkhogfan

Being first in rushing doesen't sound that great when you are last or next to last in passing.  I'm not saying we have to lead in rushing and passing but at least be in the middle somewhere on the passing side.
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

judgeroyswine

Yeah...