Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hearing Morris may not implement his full playbook in year 1

Started by checkraiser88, March 05, 2018, 06:50:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Players are having quite an adjustment catching on. Good source..

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

PorkSoda

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 05, 2018, 06:50:21 pm
do you know how long his playbook is?

I've heard something in the neighborhood of 600 pages. 

so no, he is not going to "implement his full play book"

He is going to implement the plays he expects to use out of his play book.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dark Helmet Hog

I'm sure we'll keep the play calling vanilla the first few games...........

MuskogeeHogFan

Seriously though, it wouldn't be surprising. I'll bet he gets more of it in than not. Just keep in mind that his first year at SMU they generated 382.8 yds of total offense. Year 2 = 427.3, year 3 = 478.5. It takes time to implement new schemes and have the talent to run those schemes effectively. The more important contribution will come from the defense and how quickly Chavis can make the defense turn the corner. We have talent, it just needs to be schemed in a better way.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

He said it himself in an interview that they may or may not. Said it may be year two or three before it's all installed iirc.

farmhawg

Wait, so I haven't heard anything about hoganese. If he tried that he might get it all installed......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

zane

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 07:38:43 pm
He said it himself in an interview that they may or may not. Said it may be year two or three before it's all installed iirc.

Haha- exactly

Not really breaking any news here
RIP LSUfan

jkstock04

Not surprising. Other than there being a football and pads to put on I'm sure it's night and day different vs what was happening this time last year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2018, 07:03:27 pm
Seriously though, it wouldn't be surprising. I'll bet he gets more of it in than not. Just keep in mind that his first year at SMU they generated 382.8 yds of total offense. Year 2 = 427.3, year 3 = 478.5. It takes time to implement new schemes and have the talent to run those schemes effectively. The more important contribution will come from the defense and how quickly Chavis can make the defense turn the corner. We have talent, it just needs to be schemed in a better way.

With our talent and going against the SEC defenses I am curious what you guys think is reasonable for offensive production ypg year one??? 

350 ypg
400 ypg
450 ypg
500 ypg????

I think just off the cuff we should be close to 400 ypg.  Just a guess.

Boardon Hamsay

Nothing really live, local or latebreaking about the team having opportunities adjusting to the new playbook given they're what, 3 or 4 practices into spring ball.  More broadly, I don't know many that would expect a full playbook install in year 1, including the coaching staff. Now, if said playbook is a leaflet, we've got larger issues....
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

liljo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2018, 07:03:27 pm

Good take. I agree, defense is the key. 
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on March 05, 2018, 08:11:42 pm
Nothing really live, local or latebreaking about the team having opportunities adjusting to the new playbook given they're what, 3 or 4 practices into spring ball.  More broadly, I don't know many that would expect a full playbook install in year 1, including the coaching staff. Now, if said playbook is a leaflet, we've got larger issues....

Trust me. By the time the season rolls around Hogville will have this team ready to win a championship.

lahhog

BREAKING NEWS: Players do not know full brand new offense and playbook two days into spring camp.

Its not surprising. It'll take a little time for it to sink in. That is nothing to freak out about. If they could run it perfectly after two days of spring ball you would need be worried that it is too similar to the old playbook and nothing was changing.

SPAL

alohawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 05, 2018, 08:02:02 pm
With our talent and going against the SEC defenses I am curious what you guys think is reasonable for offensive production ypg year one??? 

350 ypg
400 ypg
450 ypg
500 ypg????

I think just off the cuff we should be close to 400 ypg.  Just a guess.

500 ypg!!! Bad news is the defense might give up a 1000 ypg.  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jgphillips3

At a minimum, it takes one and a half to two full seasons to fully install an offense.  I figure we'll be at about 60% in the fall.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I heard it was by design. You know, like drown them with it to up the stress factor and then thin back the install rate so as to make it easier to retain. I heard it from THE source....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 05, 2018, 07:02:03 pm

LMAO. Underrated post

flynhog

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Flrazrback

No way they can get ALL the playbook installed. Like many have said already, that's a multi year task. Seems like our guys are having a bit of a hang up with the multiple sets and shifts that this offense uses. Practice makes perfect, ready to watch the scrimmage.  WPS

RazorbackToTheFuture

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgphat

Quote from: RazorbackToTheFuture on March 06, 2018, 12:25:54 am
I just hope we run the ole Turbo Buffalo this year.

Well, Bret Bielema ran the "Shuffle Off To Buffalo" maneuver at the end of this past season.  That should count for something.

Chad Morris brought the new "turbo" engine with him.

Tejano Jawg

A few months ago Morris walks in and passes out the offensive playbook...EVERYONE in the room is seeing it all for the first time. But one year from now, practically everyone will know it. It won't be anything new. These growing pains will pass quickly.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HOGINTENNESSEE

2 practices in is a little early to make predicts about what will and won't be implemented.

I'm sure there will be bumps when changing to this type of offense. Clemson we a pro style ish team also when Morris arrived and they had a good offensive year. Hopefully something similar can happen here

SquidBilly

Its a huge change.  Just the pre snap motion alone is going to be a huge adjustment.  But like most playbooks there aren't 600 uniquely different plays.  A lot of times the same play is run out of a few different formations.  I'm sure they'll install all of the plays needed to maximize our talent level. 

Inhogswetrust

I believe most new coaches do not implement their whole playbook the first year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

opineonswine

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 07:38:43 pm

You remember correctly.

Ex-Trumpet

Crap, if he knows who will be starting on the o-line by late September he will be ahead of the curve.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rhames

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 05, 2018, 09:06:08 pm
Trust me. By the time the season rolls around Hogville will have this team ready to win a championship.

Those of us predicting 5 or 6 wins will be labeled as haters and trolls

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 06, 2018, 01:19:28 am
A few months ago Morris walks in and passes out the offensive playbook...EVERYONE in the room is seeing it all for the first time. But one year from now, practically everyone will know it. It won't be anything new. These growing pains will pass quickly.
And a few years ago Bielema walked in and passed out.  Big difference!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2018, 10:09:23 pm
No, pig in the pokey told him.
he's right, you know....

he said from the get go it's over 1000 pages and will take a couple years to install.

Also, Clemson couldnt even do it. They took 10% of it and installed that and called it a wrap.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BassinHawg

So what happened to "Put it in the left lane and Hammer Down?"
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Grizzlyfan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rhames on March 06, 2018, 07:32:58 am

Only if you're still predicting it after we go 5-0, or are rubbing people's noses in it if we're 1-4...

RME

THERE'S NO REASON WE SHOULDN'T WIN 19 GAMES WITH THIS SCHEDULE AND BRAND NEW STAFF AND LEFTOVER TALENT!!!

jst01

Great point. Also, why didn't the construction crew finish the north end zone project by November??!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: jst01 on March 06, 2018, 10:03:10 am
Great point. Also, why didn't the construction crew finish the north end zone project by November??!!
GC couldn't fully comprehend the plans and specs ????

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

They've only been through 2 practices. Lets see how theyre doing 2 weeks from now
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rhames

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 06, 2018, 10:01:01 am
Only if you're still predicting it after we go 5-0, or are rubbing people's noses in it if we're 1-4...

I'd love to be wrong and us start 5-0

I Also would never rub anyone's nose. That's just weird.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

younghog

I think CM stated this.. when he said he rather have SEVERAL things GREAT than a lot of things good..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

snoblind

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 06, 2018, 07:29:54 am
Crap, if he knows who will be starting on the o-line by late September he will be ahead of the curve.

:)

Ex-Trumpet

I won't label you that way...it's the great unknown at this point.

However, I think an 8+ win season is possible with the schedule this year.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Nashville Fan

Petrino's offense was complicated and graduation rates have gone up since then. AR will be okay.
Pittman or Bust!

phadedhawg

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 05, 2018, 07:02:03 pm

nailed it!  Besides, we don't want to give away anything before we play Bama.

redeye

Clemson promoted 2 position coaches to replace Morris and run his playbook, but they didn't even know it all, so they stuck with the basics of it and won a national title doing that.