Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Media spin machine

Started by Kevin, February 04, 2018, 09:52:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 05, 2018, 01:05:44 am
I can't imagine anyone would argue that firing Mike would violate any rule. Mike is the second longest tenured basketball coach in the SEC.  The Hogs have a rich basketball tradition, but have not been threatening a conference championship or national relevance in 20 years.

NM
Hogs up! Covid down!

redneckfriend

Quote from: hulk hog on February 05, 2018, 09:38:06 am
Totally disagree. Our current recruiting disadvantage is this staff can't do it. Not toxic on coaches. We have had an opportunity to hire 2 high level coaches since Nolan but we had unique circumstances that prevented both (though technically we hired one for a day.) If you look at all the factors (tradition, revenue, facilities, fan support) this is a top 20 job. It is better than any big 12 or sec job than Kansas and Kentucky historically. Now the question is has the new AD started working the list of names so we are prepared to make the big hire this time.

Who was it who said it was hard to recruit to Fayetteville? Oh yeah, Nolan Richardson. And you seem so well informed about those "almost" hires- I'd like to hear the inside info please. Dana Altman took one look at the (and yes this is what it was sorry of it offends you) "dumpster fire" that he was walking into and suddenly did the almost unprecedented act of embarrassing the university, the AD and himself in one statement. Lol, yeah that was an "almost" hire alright.

This has not been a top 20 job for many years and it will take a unique set of circumstances to make it one. It seems we see the same thing with football among the more delusional of the fan base. We are a "sleeping giant" just waiting for a great coach to awaken us from our slumber. Even when we had what I would consider, perhaps not "great" coach, but the next level down in Bobby Petrino he couldn't recruit here at an SEC west level. This is going to be a lot harder than those who seem to be emotionally over invested in this program believe and unless people don't mind going from the heights of euphoria when a new coach is hired to the depths of despair when, after a few years, things don't change, they need to get real.

It seems to me that Arkansas athletics has been in the doldrums for so long fans no longer care as much about developing an athletic program as they do about expressing outraged indignation at the coach de jure who has let them down. I mean the personal (and self righteous) opprobrium direct at Bielema was over the top and now it is starting with Anderson. Some people need to grow up.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 11:09:14 am
Who was it who said it was hard to recruit to Fayetteville? Oh yeah, Nolan Richardson. And you seem so well informed about those "almost" hires- I'd like to hear the inside info please. Dana Altman took one look at the (and yes this is what it was sorry of it offends you) "dumpster fire" that he was walking into and suddenly did the almost unprecedented act of embarrassing the university, the AD and himself in one statement. Lol, yeah that was an "almost" hire alright.

This has not been a top 20 job for many years and it will take a unique set of circumstances to make it one. It seems we see the same thing with football among the more delusional of the fan base. We are a "sleeping giant" just waiting for a great coach to awaken us from our slumber. Even when we had what I would consider, perhaps not "great" coach, but the next level down in Bobby Petrino he couldn't recruit here at an SEC west level. This is going to be a lot harder than those who seem to be emotionally over invested in this program believe and unless people don't mind going from the heights of euphoria when a new coach is hired to the depths of despair when, after a few years, things don't change, they need to get real.

It seems to me that Arkansas athletics has been in the doldrums for so long fans no longer care as much about developing an athletic program as they do about expressing outraged indignation at the coach de jure who has let them down. I mean the personal (and self righteous) opprobrium direct at Bielema was over the top and now it is starting with Anderson. Some people need to grow up.

Why are you bringing football recruiting into a basketball discussion?  Is it to make the basketball job seem even harder?

Dumpster fire is overused.  Altman took a look, asked to bring in his own people and was told no and then he decided to leave. 

Nolan said a lot of things.  It was him against the world which worked for him for a while. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 11:09:14 am

Bingo. Bango. Bongo!
Hogs up! Covid down!

redneckfriend

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2018, 11:31:27 am
Why are you bringing football recruiting into a basketball discussion?  Is it to make the basketball job seem even harder?

Dumpster fire is overused.  Altman took a look, asked to bring in his own people and was told no and then he decided to leave. 

Nolan said a lot of things.  It was him against the world which worked for him for a while.

That's how you see it huh? All that drama because he couldn't "bring in his own people"- or did you ever think that if that even was said (and I really can't figure out why a coach wouldn't be permitted to "bring in his own people") that maybe it was a fig leaf, a cover story, for what was really wrong? I'd say "dumpster fire" is underused because it has become conventional wisdom that it means everything can't be fixed with just a new coach. It goes against the need to find an easy scapegoat to blame for losing. And don't for a minute think any of this is about defending Mike Anderson on my part- it is about parting with Anderson in the right way so Arkansas basketball can have a new beginning. I never for a minute believed Anderson would be one bit better than he has been and still I though it was a stroke of genius by Long to do it.

"Nolan said a lot of things"? No, Nolan, after he was treated like garbage, filed a suit in federal court for racial discrimination by a state institution under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. I'd say that is saying "some things". Frank and Nolan burned it to the ground and it needs to be built up piece by piece. This "all we need is a new coach" and "you can recruit to Arkansas without any trouble" party line the, what I would call, systemic (those who think that everything is great with Arkansas athetics except whoever is coaching) sunshine pumpers sell is nonsense.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 01:17:21 pm
That's how you see it huh? All that drama because he couldn't "bring in his own people"- or did you ever think that if that even was said (and I really can't figure out why a coach wouldn't be permitted to "bring in his own people") that maybe it was a fig leaf, a cover story, for what was really wrong? I'd say "dumpster fire" is underused because it has become conventional wisdom that it means everything can't be fixed with just a new coach. It goes against the need to find an easy scapegoat to blame for losing. And don't for a minute think any of this is about defending Mike Anderson on my part- it is about parting with Anderson in the right way so Arkansas basketball can have a new beginning. I never for a minute believed Anderson would be one bit better than he has been and still I though it was a stroke of genius by Long to do it.

"Nolan said a lot of things"? No, Nolan, after he was treated like garbage, filed a suit in federal court for racial discrimination by a state institution under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. I'd say that is saying "some things". Frank and Nolan burned it to the ground and it needs to be built up piece by piece. This "all we need is a new coach" and "you can recruit to Arkansas without any trouble" party line the, what I would call, systemic (those who think that everything is great with Arkansas athetics except whoever is coaching) sunshine pumpers sell is nonsense.

White wouldn't let him bring in his own academic support staff.

Yes, Nolan said a lot of things including what you attributed to him and they were said many years before his firing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

billmontgomery10

billmontgomery10

I don't buy the malarkey that we couldn't find anyone better than Anderson to coach the Hogs who would come here. Chris Beard would have given his eye teeth to coach the Hogs but instead we have Mediocre Mike for the next, at least, two years while the former Little Rock coach in his first year has Texas Tech in first place in the Big 12.

redneckfriend

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2018, 01:30:52 pm
White wouldn't let him bring in his own academic support staff.

Yes, Nolan said a lot of things including what you attributed to him and they were said many years before his firing. 

And I'm not defending Richardson- he made inflammatory comments and he paid a price. The problem is the price he paid was leveraged to the basketball program and that was on Broyles. Maybe Broyles wasn't too bright, maybe he was listening to his golf club cronies telling him to stand up to Richardson "don't be a p***Y" etc.. Whatever the reason was he made a bad decision for the program and his primary responsiblity was to make the right decisions for the program. Both men had been enabled to believe their egos were more important that the thing that allowed them to have any ego at all.

Academic support staff? Well, I suppose that could be a deal breaker but it sounds a little suspicious to me and I think it should raise red flags with anyone who has an ounce of skepticism.

Kevin

bo is doing his work spinning for cma. talking about magic dust the opponents must be using to make all those 3's
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jst01

Bo to Ken Pom "What do you love about this team, what could make them go on a nice run?"

"ummmm  well they are fun to watch".

Peter Porker

Bo also had the nerve last week to try and spin that Mike Anderson is the 2nd best Arkansas coach in the SEC era behind only Nolan. LOL there were only 4 and Mike is the 2nd longest tenured of the 4. Of course he is 2nd.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jst01

Ken Pom just said he "doesn't expect AR to make the tourney". 

redleg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 04, 2018, 09:53:50 pm

I can only speak for myself but I don't have an opinion on whether or not Mike should be fired.  I'm told that the BOT is out of patience with Mike but they've already forced Long and Bielema out. That's a slippery slope. The NCAA has rules against that sort of thing mainly because at some schools boosters have ended up as board members and gotten themselves heavily involved in athletics. Technically the NCAA can impose sanctions on schools that do that.

They don't usually enforce it but I think Yuracheck is a pretty smart guy. I could see him reminding Steinmetz that it's the AD's job to hire and fire coaches. The BOT's job is to hire and fire chancellors and system presidents.

Any decison on Anderson will almost certainly fall to Yuracheck. I have no clue what his thinking is but it's likely that he's going to want to be around all of his coaches for while before he starts firing people.

To me next year is more likely if Yurachek decides to pull the trigger on Mike. But again, that's a guess not a statement of support for Mike.
I agree with Irwin. He's right. My own feelings are that Yurachek will give Anderson another season to see how his 2018-19 team recovers from this so-far disappointing season. This current group of Hoop Hogs can still rebound and make the NCAA Tourney. With 5 home games out of 8 left, plus a road game at a weak Ole Miss team, the Hogs could still finish with 21 wins. That, plus a W in the SEC Tournament gets them into the Big Dance. This team is very good at home, and pretty good on a neutral court, so things may turn for the better if they can find a way to finish.
The 2018-19 squad will be loaded with talent, albeit inexperienced talent. One thing they won't have is height...which is something I just don't understand why Anderson and his staff can't find. When you only have one player that is 6'10" or taller, and the other inside players are thinly built 6'8" and 6'9" youngsters, you will have a tough time getting any inside-out play or meaningful rebounding. I'm not a coach, but I can see that Anderson needs another big man! If I can see it, why can't he?!  ???
My guess is, Yurachek will tell Anderson that he needs to get his team past the NCAA 2nd round in the next season or two, and seriously compete for an SEC title, or he'll be out of a job.
The big question, if that happens, is, who can Yurachek realistically hire to replace Anderson?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Atlhogfan1

I question how much experience Yurachek has in being the decision maker when it comes to hiring and firing football and basketball coaches.  Tilman Fertitta runs UH. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 04, 2018, 10:01:25 am
Bo's show will be nothing but guests saying yes Anderson Nutt needs to do better but we can't get anyone better so just be thankful for what we have.

Where have I heard this before?  Oh, yeah, that's right...

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2018, 11:31:27 am
Nolan said a lot of things.
Not all of them true.
We are still paying for his mouth.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 05, 2018, 08:34:05 am
Poor guy, if you think the only media that spins is Fox News you may still believe in Santa Clause!

How about them KY Mildcats? Losers of three in a row and about to make it four. No wonder you have become so scarce around here. You were quite vocal earlier in the season.

Cat got your tongue?
Hogs up! Covid down!

MikePiazza

I don't think Yurachek will be looking to fire Mike, especially if this team makes the tourney, then somehow makes Sweet 16, and they convince Gafford to stay and play with the youngsters.

If he gets NCAA again next year, he'll be here awhile. NIT and he'll be sweating in mid-March.

Earlier in this thread a poster alluded that Chris Beard views Arkansas as a destination job. What makes anyone think that? Because he coached at UALR for a year?

He's a Texan through and through. Spent ten years in Lubbock and it's home for him. He ain't leaving unless a blue blood threw insane money at him like Duke, UNC, KU or his alma mater (Texas).
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.